Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Love and Anger

Resonator
    Resonator

Male
    Number of posts : 358
    Job/hobbies : Recycler
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Love - Love and Anger Empty Love and Anger

Post  Resonator Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:44 pm

LOVE AND ANGER

How do we summon the right blend of practical love and constructive
    anger?

How do we refrain from hating other people even as we fight fiercely
    against the hatred and danger they have helped unleash?

How do we cultivate cheerful buoyancy even as we neutralize the bigoted,
    autocratic poisons that are on the loose?

How can we be both wrathful insurrectionaries and exuberant lovers of
    life?

How can we stay in a good yet unruly mood as we overthrow the mass
    hallucinations that are metastasizing?

In the face of the danger, how do we remain intensely dedicated to building
    beauty and truth and justice and love even as we keep our imaginations
    wild and hungry and free?

Can our struggle also be a form of play?

(By Rob Brezsny)

Amberfields likes this post

Amberfields
    Amberfields

Female
    Number of posts : 256
    Job/hobbies : Artist, writer.
    Registration date : 2020-10-15

Love - Love and Anger Empty Re: Love and Anger

Post  Amberfields Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:32 am

All good questions. Ones I have been asking myself as of late.
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female
    Number of posts : 3603
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

Post  ameliorate Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:03 am

If our focus is the heart - love - then we might be less likely to react how we previously might have done, i.e. in anger with someone.  Attempting to understand, see the bigger picture (i.e. why someone is being like that) enables compassion.  To hate someone is basic/shallow i.e. you can dislike the behaviour rather than the person...what is causing their response e.g. is it the outlet to some deeper/stressful situation in their life?  This is not to condone it but to try and understand the dynamics that are operating.

For myself, this doesn't mean I let the person 'off the hook' but I try reasoning and ways that reflect the mirror back at them so they might clearly see what they are doing.  Often though, depending on the intensity of their reaction or the type of person they might be (e.g. with a sadistic disposition) it may be wiser to just let it be.

Also it pays to be mindful with regards to our own behaviour which may evoke angry reactions.  An example - I recently visited a pub since I needed a glass of water.  I was met at the doorway by a burly man pointing to a piece of paper saying that, due to Covid, I needed to sign in with my address i.e. regardless of just wanting some water.  I am not a stickler for rules so might normally have offhandedly challenged the need for this, i.e. just to get some water which would, rightfully, have met with similar indignation.  As it was - maybe because I wasn't feeling well - I simply bowed my head which showed I was below par and finding the situation stressful.  This brought out his compassion and he duly asked for a member of staff to get me some water.

Last edited by ameliorate on Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    linen
    linen

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2020-10-15

Post  linen Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:49 pm

Understanding what is the root cause of the negative action helps me.  

The hurting of another human being is unacceptable in my list of values.  If Sub Group A lives a life of privilege while Sub Group B suffers due to Sub Group A, then it is unacceptable. 

I never let that someone off the hook or just let it be.  In my mind I hold them accountable for their actions.  No matter the reason, we still have choices and we can choose evil or we can choose good.  

Case in point are the ones who abused me as a child.  I had no legal recourse.  I had no proof.  But I and they knew what happened.  Over the years, as an adult, I found out the background of each one of them.  How they grew up.  It it wasn't good.  Though I understand why they did what they did, that doesn't give them the right to abuse another.  They could have chosen to change a generational behavior.  They chose not to.  Tho I have made peace with each of them and released them from my life, I will always hold them accountable for their abominable behaviors.

The one thing I still have is my freedom of speech and I exercise it regularly.

ameliorate likes this post

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:27 pm