Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Aura
norseman
Purplemoon
Jackie
Soaring Bird
Violet
WitchyMama
11 posters

Witchcraft

WitchyMama

Female
    Number of posts : 23
    Job/hobbies : Wife and Mother, I enjoy writing, reading, music, and dance.
    Registration date : 2010-08-12

Witchcraft Empty Witchcraft

Post  WitchyMama Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:32 am

I see that there is not a whole lot of recent discussion in this part of the forum, so I thought as this is my area of interest I'd try to spark a conversation Witchcraft 28115
    My practice is not Wicca based, as I do not incorporate dieties into my practice. Many people assume all witches in this day and age to be Wiccan, but it is very true that not all Witches are Wiccan. Some of us put on our proverbial pointy hat and seek a Pagan and nature based path that focuses on our personal interests and what we feel called to work with...mine include spellcraft, herbs in magic, lunar energy, and elemental magic. I love Fire. Paganism is all about gods and goddesses, many say.....some of us say it doesn't have to be. That is one of the beautiful things about practicing a path that does not include the rules of any particular tradition. It can make learning more difficult at times, as one must find their own way, but I appreciate learning from the wisdom and experience of those who have gone before me down many different paths. Just some of my thoughts on Witchcraft I thought I'd share here.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Witchcraft Empty Re: Witchcraft

Post  Violet Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:53 am

Good to see some activity in this section,. Soaring Bird posted a lot here. Witchcraft 821538
    There is a lot about witchcraft that interests me, though it's not my path, but I think you can have a path that has bits and bobs of other things, a mish mash and it will still work for you.
    WitchyMama

Female
    Number of posts : 23
    Job/hobbies : Wife and Mother, I enjoy writing, reading, music, and dance.
    Registration date : 2010-08-12

Post  WitchyMama Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:15 am

Absolutely, Violet. While I feel that borrowing from specific cultures and traditions without regard to rules set forth for those is somewhat disrespectful, there is nothing wrong with a thirst for knowledge and experience. We have an entire lifetime to learn, why not learn all you can?
    Soaring Bird
    Soaring Bird

Male
    Number of posts : 1225
    Job/hobbies : Guitar
    Registration date : 2009-07-14

Post  Soaring Bird Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:39 am

Hi Witchy Mama,
    Greetings, I agree with what you were saying regards not following rules of any particular tradition. If I were to have a true label attached it would probably be Eclectic Wiccan. The reason I say Wiccan when asked is probably 90% plus of my belief system is Wiccan based, I try to live by The Wiccan Rede also feel connected with nature andMother Earth. Although I work with The Deitys of Wiccan knowledge I dont follow a hardcore path if you know what I mean. For example; I once shared a taxi with a couple of Wiccans who were, although they didnt seem to realise it, competing with each other in displaying their knowledge of all the Goddeses and their backgrounds, history etc.
    For me this was, pointless. Because whether we work with Diana, Aphrodite any named Goddess it does not alter the fact that we all come from the one source and that we all return to that source, eventually. I dont believe that any belief system should have a laid out set of rules, laws etc. I have a book called The Wiccan Bible, it is a good book but I wouldnt recommend to someone to read it all and do all that is in it. Read it and use what feels right from it to me is how one should live by thier belief system. If none of it feels right then this not the path they should follow.
    Its nice discovering your thoughts and sharing them with us. Hope to hear more from you Witchy Mama.
    Big Hugs Witchcraft 531481 Soaring Bird
    Jackie
    Jackie
    Just joined

Female
    Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2010-10-15

Post  Jackie Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:27 am

Absolutely agree. I follow my own path. I am definitely not Wiccan to the rule, but I consider my a witch.
    I feel a close connection to the phases of the moon and feel very at peace in a forest which is why I only really focus on two deities in my spellwork, the triple moon Goddess and the Green Man.
    Nice to meet others with similar interests Witchcraft 182340
    Purplemoon
    Purplemoon

Number of posts : 22
    Registration date : 2011-11-17

Post  Purplemoon Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:11 am

If you guys were to keep getting given books on spells as gifts from people would you take it as a sign that i should get into to wicca or pagnanism ? Im sorry im not sure what the difference is between the two would appreaciate anyones insight .

Love and light Purplemoon
    norseman
    norseman

Male
    Number of posts : 318
    Job/hobbies : Striding the hedge
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

Post  norseman Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:30 pm

I do not follow Wicca which is a new branch of a very old tree. I follow the "tree".
    I learned my Craft by observation and experience over a period of 40+ years, just wandering across the moors and dales of my patch. My Craft is purely Earth-Magic and it began by learning everything there is to know about my Land - flora and fauna, weather patterns, the moods of the rivers, the changes of the seasons, the animals, and the ancestors who's footsteps I follow.
    I have found places of power in the landscape and old dwelling places from the Bronze and Iron Age and used them for journeys under meditation. I slept out in open frequently in the place where I carried out a dedication ceremony to Mother Earth. So, my craft is experiential.
    There is no-one to teach me or books to study on my Craft. Everyone on this path is self-taught. Now, it may not be Witch Craft as you see it but it is the Old Way of the Cunning Folk which is pre-christian in Britain and is not as rare as some may think in rural settings. They were the tribal wise men/women who ensured good hunting and successful harvests.
    norseman
    norseman

Male

Post  norseman Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:38 pm

Purplemoon wrote:If you guys were to keep getting given books on spells as gifts from people would you take it as a sign that i should get into to wicca or pagnanism ? Im sorry im not sure what the difference is between the two would appreaciate anyones insight .

"Pagan" is a catch-all word which includes all non-Abrahamic faiths. It covers a wide range of belief systems and life styles. Wicca is pagan.

Love and light Purplemoon
    Purplemoon
    Purplemoon

Number of posts : 22
    Registration date : 2011-11-17

Post  Purplemoon Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:13 am

Thankyou Norseman for sharing your story and insight with me it was very interesting , i have a much clearer perception now between the two now .

Love and light PM:)

Post  Guest Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Didn't realise when I started reading this that it was such an old thread. But it did catch my eye.

Where would a beginner start exploring wicca/paganism/witchcraft? It's something that's always piqued my interest but as with a lot of Mind/Body/Spirit stuff I'm never sure where to start, and what's true and what's not so good.

To clarify - Are there any good books / websites - Sort of a 'Wicca and all that for Dummies' or similar?
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:48 pm

There is a book called just that Dilettante http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=19&gs_id=1e&xhr=t&q=wicca+for+dummies+books&safe=off&rlz=1W1ADRA_en&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=792&bih=395&wrapid=tljp1325544378366021&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3034671147237355885&sa=X&ei=zzMCT8TmGIOy8QPsm-SmAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CHYQ8wIwBg#

Norseman may also be able to recommend somethingWitchcraft 821538
    Aura

Female
    Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2011-10-23

Post  Aura Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:46 pm

i am a spiritualist but i know someone who is a mix of both spiritualist and wicca and seems to work for that person who says the mix of both is what makes this person feel whole x
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:46 pm

I think that's good if it works for someone, to take things from different paths, sometimes many paths to make you them feel 'whole.'Witchcraft 15910
    norseman
    norseman

Male

Post  norseman Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:06 pm

It is claimed that Witchcraft (The Craft) dates back to the mists of time in
    one form or another, some claim 40,000 years, certainly predating the ‘book’
    religions. Based on the religions of the ancient, modern Traditional Witchcraft
    has evolved and is now generally accepted to be of European origin,
    specifically British and falls under the wide umbrella of ‘Paganism.’ Today’s
    Traditional Witches’ beliefs and practices vary as much as any of the book
    religions that split into different factions and assume different methods of
    practice/worship.

Traditional Witches generally do not ‘worship’ anything; they honour/respect
    every living thing on the planet as part of the great universal force that is
    Nature. Unlike other traditions most do not look to a mother and/or father
    figure represented by deity although some do choose to do this; they do,
    however, acknowledge the male/female polarity of the natural world.

There are no books to instruct or guides to follow neither is there a written
    creed to which they must adhere – each individual practices as she/he deems
    appropriate and will introduce local or cultural idiosyncrasies into her/his
    magic or ritual.

Modern Traditional Witches use ‘Grimoires,’ notebooks in which they keep
    records of rituals, spells, recipes or anything personal they wish to recall.
    These books, as with the Wiccan Book of Shadows, are new additions not
    available to the often illiterate, simple people of bygone days. In any event,
    it would have been inadvisable to keep a book that might condemn them;
    fortunately we now live in [allegedly] more enlightened times.

Traditional Witches as a whole believe in reincarnation, that they move from
    this life to a ‘spirit world’ where they rest before continuing their journey –
    sometimes being reborn in human form or becoming one with Nature (Land
    Spirits). Some, however, will remain in the spirit world and it is believed
    that these appear to humans from time to time. As a result all spirits are
    respected as being our ancestors; as they were in their human form some are
    benevolent, some are not!

Traditional Witches’ rituals are not ‘ceremonial’ and complicated – simple
    recognition of the changes of the seasons in the form of the Sabbats, the Moon
    Phases and, particularly, the Full Moon is all that is necessary. It is
    perfectly acceptable for rituals to be carried out at home – no contrived
    surroundings, state of dress or elaborate tools are deemed necessary or even
    particularly desirable. Intent and the power of the will are paramount.

Ritual in a Coven environment is also simple and does not work to the same
    hierarchical format as Wicca, Covens do, however, have Rites of Passage that
    are carried out during various stages of a member’s life, generally based on the
    changing seasons or phases of the moon. Systems vary between different Covens
    and whether or not an individual chooses to undergo these Rites is a matter of
    choice. There are no ‘craft names’ in Traditional Witchcraft; these are a
    Wiccan introduction.

The magic practiced is simple and not reliant upon the tools and symbols of the
    High Magic practiced in other belief systems/religions. All religions practice
    magic in one form or another although some will hold up their hands in horror
    at the very idea. Simply lighting a candle, with or without the addition of
    incense and the sprinkling of holy water and making a wish or reciting a prayer
    is ‘magic’ in that it is an attempt to influence circumstances through the
    application of one’s willpower. Herbal healing is also a common ‘magical’
    practice of the Traditional Witch. Unlike Wicca, the practice of hexing and
    cursing is perfectly acceptable in Traditional Witchcraft but only in extreme
    cases.

Traditional Witches hold all life sacred and, therefore, to be shown respect.
    This applies to others’ belief systems/religions as we may likely all end up in
    the same place. They do not hold to the Christian notion of good and
    evil forces, nor do they believe in a devil, hellfire or brimstone. They
    understand that there is both good and bad in everyone and they must take
    responsibility for their own actions without the need for guidance from others.

With the advent of the Solitary Wiccan, particularly the more eclectic, the
    divisions between Wicca and Traditional Witchcraft are becoming blurred. Many
    Wiccans conduct ritual and practice magic in a very similar, simple vein as
    living circumstances are not always conducive to High Magic with all the
    paraphernalia involved, nor are Covens easy to find or join and ‘Groups’ of
    like-minded people are becoming popular for those who don’t wish the
    regimentation or responsibility of Coven membership. For those who choose to
    work alone, there is always interaction via the Internet if needed.

Wiccans will always differ in that they must adhere to the core beliefs - the
    Rede and Threefold Law. Wicca is a religion based upon the worship/honouring of
    deity, particularly the Triple Goddess. One unifying factor is that both
    Traditions consider the Earth and everything in it, on it and above it sacred
    and to be nurtured.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:33 pm

Many thanks Norseman that was a really good read

The magic practiced is simple and not reliant upon the tools and symbols of the
    High Magic practiced in other belief systems/religions. All religions practice
    magic in one form or another although some will hold up their hands in horror
    at the very idea. Simply lighting a candle, with or without the addition of
    incense and the sprinkling of holy water and making a wish or reciting a prayer
    is ‘magic’ in that it is an attempt to influence circumstances

This made me smile, but it is so true.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:50 pm

By the way i've got some details of some books you might find useful

The Wicca Bible from the 'bible series' octopus books

Wicca The Complete Craft (this one looks excellent is full of info) by DJ Conway
    azebeth
    azebeth

Female
    Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2013-02-13

Post  azebeth Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:22 pm

I realize this topic has not been open in a while, but i had something I would like to put in. I first discovered wicca/paganism last year while reading a book series called "Sweep" I began researching the topic, but then one day my dad told me a story about him and an ex-girlfriend of his contacting the spirit of a witch that really scared me so i stopped for a really long time (4-5 months). A few months ago i was doing schoolwork, when i saw a wiccan site and something in me told me to click on it, so i did. It was all about power animals and spirit guides. I've been researching the topic for while now but can't really seem to find anything.
    p.s. My grandmother was a pagan/healer so does that make me one?
    millergrls
    millergrls

Female
    Number of posts : 1385
    Job/hobbies : Dispatcher
    Registration date : 2012-11-02

Post  millergrls Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:52 am

azebeth wrote:I realize this topic has not been open in a while, but i had something I would like to put in. I first discovered wicca/paganism last year while reading a book series called "Sweep" I began researching the topic, but then one day my dad told me a story about him and an ex-girlfriend of his contacting the spirit of a witch that really scared me so i stopped for a really long time (4-5 months). A few months ago i was doing schoolwork, when i saw a wiccan site and something in me told me to click on it, so i did. It was all about power animals and spirit guides. I've been researching the topic for while now but can't really seem to find anything.
    p.s. My grandmother was a pagan/healer so does that make me one?
    That is the great thing about paganism. You can be anything you like. And gifts run in the family so it may be possible to have your grandmothers gift. I have always believed in god but never in one certain religion. I felt as if I never fit in anywhere. Church was never for me. I always had this belief that you didn't necessarily have to go to church to believe in god, do good for others, be a good person and live well. When I found paganism I felt as if I found home. I pray, I practice my rituals and live in light and love, and walk a spiritual path. I love my power animals and father god and mother god.
    1antique
    1antique
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3378
    Job/hobbies : Searching For The Truth
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post  1antique Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:36 pm

As I was reading the last two posts, a thought came to mind: psychic ability runs in families. Does this mean that it is a genetic mutation that can be found through breaking down the DNA as they do with most types of 'abnormalities'? If so, would it be possible to 'unlock' this abnormality in anyone? By doing so, could we, through genetic manipulation, become a race of telepaths and healers?
    feather
    feather

Female
    Number of posts : 1166
    Registration date : 2010-07-07

Post  feather Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:01 am

1antique wrote:As I was reading the last two posts, a thought came to mind: psychic ability runs in families. Does this mean that it is a genetic mutation that can be found through breaking down the DNA as they do with most types of 'abnormalities'? If so, would it be possible to 'unlock' this abnormality in anyone? By doing so, could we, through genetic manipulation, become a race of telepaths and healers?
    1antique, Maybe...But .....apparently much of the brain's wiring takes place after birth and into teen years....so maybe too... a psychic streak in the family might be forged from the actual environment of the child and how the people around it encourage and teach it. And if this is the case and if is possible to rewire the brain at any time of life ( they are now saying it is)...then anyone's brain can be encouraged and trained back into psychic patterns of thought......I think all children are psychic when they are little...up to about the age of 7.
    feather
    feather

Female

Post  feather Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:06 am

WitchyMama wrote:I see that there is not a whole lot of recent discussion in this part of the forum, so I thought as this is my area of interest I'd try to spark a conversation Witchcraft 28115
    My practice is not Wicca based, as I do not incorporate dieties into my practice. Many people assume all witches in this day and age to be Wiccan, but it is very true that not all Witches are Wiccan. Some of us put on our proverbial pointy hat and seek a Pagan and nature based path that focuses on our personal interests and what we feel called to work with...mine include spellcraft, herbs in magic, lunar energy, and elemental magic. I love Fire. Paganism is all about gods and goddesses, many say.....some of us say it doesn't have to be. That is one of the beautiful things about practicing a path that does not include the rules of any particular tradition. It can make learning more difficult at times, as one must find their own way, but I appreciate learning from the wisdom and experience of those who have gone before me down many different paths. Just some of my thoughts on Witchcraft I thought I'd share here.
    I first started looking at Witchcraft when I started to ecome interested in spiritualism. I didn't do the Wicca thing either. Anyway, I had no rules and where I am now has grown out of that and has evolved. I still mix a bit of spellcraft and candle lighting now and again. I find that spiritualism has many faces...and that is so interesting!
    millergrls
    millergrls

Female

Post  millergrls Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:24 pm

feather wrote:
    1antique wrote:As I was reading the last two posts, a thought came to mind: psychic ability runs in families. Does this mean that it is a genetic mutation that can be found through breaking down the DNA as they do with most types of 'abnormalities'? If so, would it be possible to 'unlock' this abnormality in anyone? By doing so, could we, through genetic manipulation, become a race of telepaths and healers?
    1antique, Maybe...But .....apparently much of the brain's wiring takes place after birth and into teen years....so maybe too... a psychic streak in the family might be forged from the actual environment of the child and how the people around it encourage and teach it. And if this is the case and if is possible to rewire the brain at any time of life ( they are now saying it is)...then anyone's brain can be encouraged and trained back into psychic patterns of thought......I think all children are psychic when they are little...up to about the age of 7.
    I agree with this so much feather. Anyone can retrain their brain.
    azebeth
    azebeth

Female
    Number of posts : 11
    Registration date : 2013-02-13

Post  azebeth Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:05 am

thanks millergrls! Speaking of psychic abilities, does anyone ever have really weird deja vú moments. For example, once, I woke up in the morning and I got ready for school and my dog came in my room and jumped on my bed (she'd never done this before) and i had the strangest feeling i'd seen or that this had happened before. Ever since i started studying paganism, this has been occurring more and more often. Has this ever happened to anyone else? :thanku:
    feather
    feather

Female

Post  feather Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:33 am

azebeth wrote:thanks millergrls! Speaking of psychic abilities, does anyone ever have really weird deja vú moments. For example, once, I woke up in the morning and I got ready for school and my dog came in my room and jumped on my bed (she'd never done this before) and i had the strangest feeling i'd seen or that this had happened before. Ever since i started studying paganism, this has been occurring more and more often. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Witchcraft 101500
    Yes, I have and it feels so strange....At the time, I know I've experienced it before but when I try to remember....nothing comes out of it....A bit like the feeling you get when you have a sneeze coming on and at the last moment it doesn't happen....just that little bit out of reach.
    millergrls
    millergrls

Female

Post  millergrls Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:38 am

feather wrote:
    azebeth wrote:thanks millergrls! Speaking of psychic abilities, does anyone ever have really weird deja vú moments. For example, once, I woke up in the morning and I got ready for school and my dog came in my room and jumped on my bed (she'd never done this before) and i had the strangest feeling i'd seen or that this had happened before. Ever since i started studying paganism, this has been occurring more and more often. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Witchcraft 101500
    Yes, I have and it feels so strange....At the time, I know I've experienced it before but when I try to remember....nothing comes out of it....A bit like the feeling you get when you have a sneeze coming on and at the last moment it doesn't happen....just that little bit out of reach.

All the time. I believe that it is one of the most common occurances that we all have. One minute you are sitting there and the next you are thinking hey I have already been there done that.Witchcraft 809779

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:45 am