Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
SpiritVoices
Detlef
millergrls
Auras123
eyeopen
WishingMel
skye
mac
Lynn
paula
Violet
15 posters

What is a medium?

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

What is a medium? Empty What is a medium?

Post  Violet Tue May 26, 2009 11:37 pm

A medium is a person who is psychic and also has the ability to communicate with spirits, (but not all psychic's are mediums.)
    Mediums may also be described as 'channels' or 'channellers.'

The word medium means:
  • a means or instrumentality for storing or communicating information
  • an intervening substance through which signals can travel as a means for communication
    someone who serves as an intermediary between the living and the dead; "he consulted several mediums"

There are many more meanings for the word medium but the above three highlight why this word was chosen for a medium.
    A medium 'picks up' information from the spirit world by several means, some will use only one of the following, but many use a combination of the following:
    Clairvoyance: literally means 'clear seeing' and refers to mediums who see spirits, they may see them in solid form or see them psychically, they may recieve messages as symbols which they then need to interpret and pass on to their client.
    Clairaudience: this literally means clear hearing and refers to mediums who hear spirits, they may hear the voices of the actual spirit, or hear them in their own voice, often this 'hearing' is heard in thought form, yet others hear very clearly and directly in their ear.
    Clairsentience: This is probably the commonest of the the three and means clear sensing or feeling, this is when the medium picks up on a spirit's feelings or 'senses' spirits.
    paula

Female
    Number of posts : 33
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

What is a medium? Empty Re: What is a medium?

Post  paula Thu May 28, 2009 5:09 pm

thank you!
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:03 am

You're very welcome :hugz:
    Lynn
    Lynn

Female
    Number of posts : 1467
    Job/hobbies : Retired - Interests Metaphysics
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Post  Lynn Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:44 am

Hello

Thank you "Not all Mediums are Psychics" oh that is so so true . I be both but so many I know are one or the other and to be lumed in a common clump at times is not fun.

Lynn
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:45 am

It bugs me too Lynn, and there's a world of difference. What is a medium? 821538
    mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

What is a medium? Empty mediums, psychics and sensitives

Post  mac Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:10 pm

Some members may already have seen, and even contributed to, a thread I ran some time back elsewhere.

I'm posting the 'starter' for those who have not and may find it of interest...

Mediums

Certain mediums convey the words and
    teachings of spiritually-evolved teachers and guides. Such guidance is
    not personal and applies to humankind generally. In the past, details
    about the nature of life after death, and the dimensions in which we
    live, have been communicated in just such a way. Guides and teachers
    often say they have experienced life on earth.

Another form of mediumship is that of ‘channelling’. This appears very
    similar to that described above. It is said that certain channelled
    information may come from individuals who have not lived on
    earth.

When any information is passed on in these way, there is always a risk
    of colouration from the mind of the medium or channeller. The more
    developed is the relationship between source and medium, the better can
    be the avoidance of colouration – bias, prejudice, belief etc. – being
    picked up from the medium.

Other mediums, such as are found in Modern
    Spiritualism
    , act as ‘go-betweens’. They act both for their
    ‘sitters’ and those in the unseen world wishing to connect with them.
    Such an evidential medium may pass on messages from one to the other.
    She/he will often use methods such as clairvoyance (seeing, describing)
    and clairaudience (hearing) to acquire evidence of identification and to
    learn personal details which authenticate the source of a message.

Sensitives

A ‘sensitive’ is someone who is able to detect the presence of ‘unseen’
    individuals in other dimensions of existence. The individuals detected
    may, or may not, have once lived on this earth. Hence one description
    of dimensions of existence may not correspond with others. Sensitives
    may make contact with those they are detecting – speaking to and hearing
    - but if they don’t act as a ‘go-between’ they would not be termed mediums. Any guidance would be for the
    benefit of the sensitive.

Psychics

Psychics may also be able to detect the
    presence of ‘unseen’ individuals in other dimensions of existence or
    they may simply sense and read the aura of those sitting with them or
    passing close by. They do not act as a ‘go-between’ and do not
    necessarily communicate with those they detect psychically. A psychic
    may, though, use her/his personal skills and abilities to counsel a
    sitter who has approached her/him for advice on personal matters.

Psychics can not exactly predict the
    future any more than mediums or sensitives, although it may appear that they
    can…
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:34 pm

I don't know how I missed this but thanks for posting mac, this sounds like 'clairsentience' to me, many mediums work in this way:
    individuals in other dimensions of existence.
    Lynn
    Lynn

Female
    Number of posts : 1467
    Job/hobbies : Retired - Interests Metaphysics
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Post  Lynn Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Hello

Not saying this be right or wrong more HOW I have come to see it all.

Mediumship

Mediumship is the term used to describe someone who claim to have the ability to communicate with the Dead or Spirit World. This is not yet been scientifically proven of disproved . From the scientific point of view a medium is simply doing a cold reading. Getting information from what is said. In face to face readings using facial and body reactions.
    Testing the information given though rules a lot of this out.

Modern Mediumship

Physical Mediumship :

is the act of picking up energies from the other side. This can be done by voice communications where one talks directly to the Spirit. Or visually were one can see the Spirit and describe who is being seen.

Mental Mediumship:

This is via thought or telepathy via the Medium. Nothing is seen or heard in the physical but in the brain only of the Medium. This is also know as trance Mediumship where the Medium can be either fully aware of the process or in full trance.

Physical Mediumship:

This encompasses levitation, Automatic Writing, and visual sight of Spirit energy. Letting a Spirit for a time enter your body to speak.

How we make or know of contact.

First off working well protected and grounded.

Burning of candles gives a Spirit that Light connection.

Spirits often move things, can be something simple like a picture being off center on a wall or turned face down.

Make sounds such as footsteps, or bang something.

Odors that go to the person passed. IE Smoke, perfume, cologne.

Even medicines or home surroundings odors. Cooking smells from special event days.

At times emotion in you come into play. You feel something come over you. Something that brings in a memory of one passed. You smile for no real reason and feel a sense of peace.

Music that you hear that takes you to the memory of someone passed. Some phase that is seen on a billboard sign that takes you to someone.

Pictures where the is a ORB or other strange image in it. Many images will when enlarged have a face in them.

Spirit contact to you. That cold shiver you get. Watch for Goosebumps that are only on one side of the body.

Feathers that come from no where. Some refer to them as Angle Wings.

Pennies found in odd places note the date.

Books left open to a page or when toppled from a table they are on take note of what is on the page.

Lights going on and off, TV volume changing, doors or windows rattling with no wind. Indoor wind chimes moving. Whisper sounds. Seeing things in the corner of your eye. Phone rings and no one is there. Note the number might not exist. Messages left on a machine that the number does not exist or was the number for someone passed.

Dream contacts where a message is left.

Lynn

skye

Female
    Number of posts : 1256
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

Post  skye Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:24 pm

Violet wrote:I don't know how I missed this but thanks for posting mac, this sounds like 'clairsentience' to me, many mediums work in this way:

Hi Violet,
    a 'sensitive' is just another word for a 'medium.' It's yet another word that has recently slipped into the spiritual language.
    WishingMel
    Just joined

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2012-01-05

Post  WishingMel Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:05 am

Hi Lynn, thanks for sharing your opinion above regarding physical and mental mediumship. You have a very interesting view, I agree with all. xx
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:11 am

skye wrote:
    Violet wrote:I don't know how I missed this but thanks for posting mac, this sounds like 'clairsentience' to me, many mediums work in this way:

Hi Violet,
    a 'sensitive' is just another word for a 'medium.' It's yet another word that has recently slipped into the spiritual language.

Yes they keep slipping different words in, it can become very confusing especially for those just starting out, I did create a 'spiritual jargon busting' thread I really must find it and stick it.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:14 am

If a 'medium' has the attributes to act as a go-between in communication between incarnate and discarnate individuals, and a 'sensitive' is aware of the presence of discarnates (but does not act as a go-between), how can both be the same?

The word 'sensitive' hasn't just "slipped in" because I used it myself deliberately some time ago when attempting to get agreed definitions,or discussions about, the various words in common use....
    eyeopen
    eyeopen

Number of posts : 1380
    Registration date : 2012-04-03

Post  eyeopen Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:52 pm

I wouldnt go to far as to say that spirits can move things, although recentl and most of the time the sky seems to delete a recording and change it to another time of the same show. When things like this happen we think its my nephew, but I doubt he can delete a recording list and select another one a different time as his only 2! lol

Coins in odd places, I will check dates now, although im bad with dates.

One question, if spirits come to you can others who can see the spirit world see them to, or do they just appear to you? Eg do you ever go out and see people with their guides etc? Or isit just our own doorway?
    mac

Male

Post  mac Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:53 pm

"Yes they keep slipping different words in, it can become very confusing
    especially for those just starting out, I did create a 'spiritual jargon
    busting' thread I really must find it and stick it."

That's OK, Violet, until you find that the definitions you devise may not be widely agreed or accepted..... Been there, done that over the past few years and still have the mental scars of the opposition I encountered. And I was only asking others to comment on my suggested ones!

Whatever one individually might decide is a good definition, there's the likelihood that someone else will see it another way. Only earlier today I was discussing with another website owner the term 'psychic medium'. Turns out that the term is used to denote a mental medium in the country where the owner lives. And as we've discussed before, many see mediums and psychics as being the same.

Whadya do? What is a medium? 330618
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:02 pm

Oh I know that Mac, and as you highlighted different terms are used in different countries too, the idea of the thread was just to offer a very basic jargon buster to assist newcomers, but it's probably better I don't find it.
    Auras123
    Auras123

Male
    Number of posts : 223
    Job/hobbies : Medium, Psychic, Christian Spiritualist.
    Registration date : 2012-03-25

Post  Auras123 Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:39 am

All this infomation is frying my brain lol xxx thanks its really helpful xx What is a medium? 15910
    millergrls
    millergrls

Female
    Number of posts : 1385
    Job/hobbies : Dispatcher
    Registration date : 2012-11-02

Post  millergrls Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:45 pm

Lynn wrote:At times emotion in you come into play. You feel something come over you. Something that brings in a memory of one passed. You smile for no real reason and feel a sense of peace.

Music that you hear that takes you to the memory of someone passed. Some phase that is seen on a billboard sign that takes you to someone.

Spirit contact to you. That cold shiver you get. Watch for Goosebumps that are only on one side of the body.

Feathers that come from no where. Some refer to them as Angle Wings.

Pennies found in odd places note the date.

Lights going on and off, TV volume changing, doors or windows rattling with no wind. Indoor wind chimes moving. Whisper sounds. Seeing things in the corner of your eye. Phone rings and no one is there. Note the number might not exist. Messages left on a machine that the number does not exist or was the number for someone passed.

Dream contacts where a message is left.

How about like what happened to me this morning before my meditation. A penny just fell from me, heads up. I was wearing pajamas with no pockets. All of a sudden, I felt the penny touch me and then fall. i was told that my deceased grandmother leaves penny's around for signs. So, i said hi Grandma.

Detlef
    Detlef

Male
    Number of posts : 923
    Registration date : 2010-09-25

Post  Detlef Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:45 am

Violet wrote:A medium is a person who is psychic and also has the ability to communicate with spirits, (but not all psychic's are mediums.)
    Mediums may also be described as 'channels' or 'channellers.]

In my understanding a channeler connects with an entity or being of a higher vibration then oneself.
    Mediums in most cases connect with past ones who are not higher in vibration then themselves, and are in the non physical realm.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:37 am

"In my understanding a channeler connects with an entity or being of a higher vibration then oneself.
    Mediums in most cases connect with past ones who are not higher in vibration then themselves, and are in the non physical realm."

Maybe it's one definition but whether it would be widely accepted is a moot point.

Some time ago I ran a thread on several websites trying to get some idea what others thought various practitioners did but nobody offered your explanation as a definition of a channeler.....
    millergrls
    millergrls

Female

Post  millergrls Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:39 am

I have been told that a channeler is someone who totaly gives up themselves t spirit and it could be dangerous
    Detlef
    Detlef

Male
    Number of posts : 923
    Registration date : 2010-09-25

Post  Detlef Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:03 am

millergrls wrote:I have been told that a channeler is someone who totaly gives up themselves t spirit and it could be dangerous

Not necessarily, there are different levels of connections, and with it come different levels of accuracy, in most cases.
    The deepest level is called a trans channel. Edgar Cayce was one, and an other one I knew was Carla Lisbeth Rueckert. Both have channeled Ra or a particular part of Ra, since Ra is a soul group.
    If you watch Steve Rother or Geoff Hoppe you can see a channel in what I would call a second stage channel. They can still remember some of what went on in the channel.
    In a light channel, you know everything, you can feel energies, have your own thoughts, intuitions, and knowing. No interference with your voice box.
    And of cause this is the most inaccurate one.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:49 am

Thank you for some very interesting information,Detlef.

A lot there I didn't know.....What is a medium? 160943

Joanie
    mac

Male

Post  mac Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:27 pm

millergrls wrote:I have been told that a channeler is someone who totaly gives up themselves t spirit and it could be dangerous

Anyone who fails to exercise self-control and caution is foolish and there are mischievous spirit individuals who would love to take advantage of such incarnate individuals.

One may work with trusted communicators but not abandon oneself before that trust has become established.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:08 am

One may work with trusted communicators but not abandon oneself before that trust has become established.
    I heartily agree with Mac
    millergrls
    millergrls

Female

Post  millergrls Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:16 am

That was a lot of helpful information!!! Thank you! I didn't know any of that. I will be fileing that information away.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:41 am