Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Rainbow
Beware_of_Italics
innerlight
Violet
gilly
skfarblum
1antique
SpiritVoices
mac
Lulu
14 posters

Religion - Very confused

Lulu
    Lulu

Female
    Number of posts : 22
    Job/hobbies : Job:Chemist Hobbies: Gardening, Reading, Painting
    Registration date : 2011-08-26

Religion - Very confused Empty Religion - Very confused

Post  Lulu Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:32 am

I am getting increasingly more confused about my religion and I feel the need to discuss it.

I was brought up secular, but attended a Church of England school. I did all the 'churchy' things. But never really thought it was for me. When I was in my twenties I became increasingly interested in Judaism and I underwent a conversion. I was happy for a while but never really felt accepted. Judaism is a very family and community based religion. I have no family and I'm very quiet and private.

I live fairly far away from the nearest Jewish community and started to drift away and thought about going back to my roots. I found out that my father had been Catholic and most of my mothers too. I descided to attend Mass with a friend. I liked the peacefulness of the church and I likes Mary and the Saints (Sorry if this sounds nieve) I spoke to the priest and descided to convert (Again) to Catholisicm. But in the end I couldn't do it. It didn't feel right. I didn't agree with anyone at the classes and didn't 'get the Jesus thing'.

I started to look further back, at paganism, and liked what I read. I love animals, nature and the environment. I have been vegetarian for many years and am peaceful and caring. The problem is I'm not sure I can worship more than one God and I'm not sure about which path I would take.

I don't want to be one of those people who just tries out different religions and has a different one each week. I just feel lost and need to find my way.
    mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Religion - Very confused Empty Re: Religion - Very confused

Post  mac Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 pm

Lulu wrote:I am getting increasingly more confused about my religion and I feel the need to discuss it.

I was brought up secular, but attended a Church of England school. I did all the 'churchy' things. But never really thought it was for me. When I was in my twenties I became increasingly interested in Judaism and I underwent a conversion. I was happy for a while but never really felt accepted. Judaism is a very family and community based religion. I have no family and I'm very quiet and private.

I live fairly far away from the nearest Jewish community and started to drift away and thought about going back to my roots. I found out that my father had been Catholic and most of my mothers too. I descided to attend Mass with a friend. I liked the peacefulness of the church and I likes Mary and the Saints (Sorry if this sounds nieve) I spoke to the priest and descided to convert (Again) to Catholisicm. But in the end I couldn't do it. It didn't feel right. I didn't agree with anyone at the classes and didn't 'get the Jesus thing'.

I started to look further back, at paganism, and liked what I read. I love animals, nature and the environment. I have been vegetarian for many years and am peaceful and caring. The problem is I'm not sure I can worship more than one God and I'm not sure about which path I would take.

I don't want to be one of those people who just tries out different religions and has a different one each week. I just feel lost and need to find my way.

good luck - I'm pleased I never faced such a dilemma.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:24 pm

Whatever religion suits you,it will find you.

Religion - Very confused 529620
    1antique
    1antique
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3378
    Job/hobbies : Searching For The Truth
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post  1antique Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Lulu

I know what you are feeling. I, too, went throught a myriad of churches before dicarding all of them because they 'never felt right. I eventually discovered that I did not 'need' a church to practice what I believe....nor does anyone else. Church (and religion) was created and designed by man to bring like-minded people together. It was soon discovered one shoe does not fit all. When that happened, another church was created, then another, then another, then..... You get what I mean.

Maybe it is time to quit trying to fit into a mold that does not fit you, and just be yourself? A church is not required to worship God or the gods, or whatever you choose to call the Higher Power you believe in.
    skfarblum
    skfarblum

Male
    Number of posts : 268
    Registration date : 2011-09-23

Post  skfarblum Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:31 pm

Dear Lulu,
    What Joan wrote is good advice.When uncertain what direction to
    go,it is not a bad idea to just sit and let things come to you.
    I practice a religion of my own construction.It is based on some
    very obvious and simple personal observations.
    The first being,that I-am.Regardless what happens to me this
    I seems to be a constant.
    The second is,what ever I experience and observe is always relative to
    me.
    The third is so simple that you will probably laugh at it.
    What ever I do,what ever path I go it always me doing it.
    From these three observations anybody can build their
    own belief and come to their own conclusions of what is real and what
    is false.
    I hope this helps a bit.

Stephen

gilly
    gilly

Male
    Number of posts : 851
    Job/hobbies : Writing Sci/Fi and Fantasy
    Registration date : 2011-11-11

Post  gilly Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Lulu wrote:I am getting increasingly more confused about my religion and I feel the need to discuss it.

Hi Lulu

Before answering more fully could you say why you feel you need to have a particular religeon?

PPLLnL

Peter
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:49 pm

Hi Lulu, why not simply walk your own path, see where it takes you, i'm of 'no fixed religion' I considered myself to be a Spiritualist for a long time but have left that behind too, I enjoy the freedom of just being 'me' and I think you could too, even if it's only for a while to get your bearings.
    innerlight
    innerlight
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3817
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post  innerlight Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:24 pm

Lulu wrote:

What's wrong with trying out all those different religions? How will you know if it resonates with you until you give it a shot? I'm not gonna tell you which path you should take, or which religion as that is something you need to uncover yourself.. And you may not be able to until you sample them all.

It's like having a box of chocolates. You can't really know which one is your favorite until you try them all.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:44 pm

It's like having a box of chocolates. You can't really know which one is your favorite until you try them all.

But then you get overstuffed and bloatedReligion - Very confused 160943 trust me, I knowReligion - Very confused 160943
    innerlight
    innerlight
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3817

Post  innerlight Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Violet wrote:

But then you get overstuffed and bloatedReligion - Very confused 160943 trust me, I knowReligion - Very confused 160943

It's like sampling wine. You're not supposed to drink it all. Just enough to let it satiate your pallet before you swish it out of your mouth.
    Beware_of_Italics
    Beware_of_Italics

Female
    Number of posts : 363
    Registration date : 2011-03-15

Post  Beware_of_Italics Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:49 am

I can only speak for myself, but I've always felt that there is no one "right" religion. There is no perfect religion because religion is manmade and man is imperfect... sometimes preachy... has that ego.... and even personal agendas.

Okay, I just deleted a lot of my post b/c I didn't want to sound like I was bashing religion. I don't think religion is wrong (heck, I have an uncle that's a minister) but it isn't for everybody and that's fine. The important thing is that a person thinks for themselves, rather than blindly accepting some religion that they were brought up to believe in.

I'll just say that my 'religion' is to treat others the way I wish I wish to be treated, do good, and admit that the world is such a mystery that the answers to all the BIG questions we all have as human beings are way over my head.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:15 pm

I wonder if Lulu wanted responses or simply to get her frustrations off her chest?
    gilly
    gilly

Male
    Number of posts : 851
    Job/hobbies : Writing Sci/Fi and Fantasy
    Registration date : 2011-11-11

Post  gilly Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:53 pm

mac wrote:I wonder if Lulu wanted responses or simply to get her frustrations off her chest?

That is why I asked my question Mac!!

PPLLnL

Peter
    mac

Male

Post  mac Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:44 pm

gilly wrote:
    mac wrote:I wonder if Lulu wanted responses or simply to get her frustrations off her chest?

That is why I asked my question Mac!!

PPLLnL

Peter

Indeed you did and I think that by now it's indicative she probably didn't want the former and did want the latter... Religion - Very confused 21581
    Rainbow
    Rainbow

Female
    Number of posts : 1292
    Job/hobbies : Job; playing with my dogs. Hobbies; playing with my dogs lol

Post  Rainbow Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:38 am

Hi lulu, I'm the same as Violet. I have no particular religion as such, I don't 'get the Jesus thing' either. The bible makes no sense to me whatsoever. Don't worry about fitting into a particular religion, go with what makes sense to you and helps you down your path, leave what you can't take. If it doesn't feel right or make sense then it's of no use to you imo. I've got my own beliefs and they work for me :rainbow:
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:15 pm

So many religions around today.

Which do we choose? I suggest none.

Once reaching the spirit world,we find one religion there.

That religion is for all.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:26 pm

Anyone noticed who's missing from the discussion? Religion - Very confused 451437
    1antique
    1antique
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3378
    Job/hobbies : Searching For The Truth
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post  1antique Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:58 pm

Lulu does not seem to visit often.
    Lulu
    Lulu

Female

Post  Lulu Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:07 pm

Sorry it has taken me so long, I'm not to good at replying.

I have read all your kind words and they have made me think very much. Especially the question 'you do I feel I need a religion'.

Maybe I don't need one. Maybe I think too much and feel I should conform as most people do.

I think having the freedom of not practising would be nice. I suppose we are bullyed into thinking that we need a religion, otherwise we wont get to heaven.

I like your post Joanie, that we can reach the spirit world and find what we need there.In the meantime we can be good people and help each other without havigng religion to hold us back.

Thanks everyoneReligion - Very confused 101500
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:45 pm

Lulu wrote:Sorry it has taken me so long, I'm not to good at replying.

I have read all your kind words and they have made me think very much. Especially the question 'you do I feel I need a religion'.

Maybe I don't need one. Maybe I think too much and feel I should conform as most people do.

I think having the freedom of not practising would be nice. I suppose we are bullyed into thinking that we need a religion, otherwise we wont get to heaven.

I like your post Joanie, that we can reach the spirit world and find what we need there.In the meantime we can be good people and help each other without havigng religion to hold us back.

Thanks everyoneReligion - Very confused 101500

Thank you,Lulu.

Religion - Very confused 21581

Joanie x
    Native spirit
    Native spirit

Female
    Number of posts : 887
    Registration date : 2011-02-04

Post  Native spirit Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:06 pm

Lulu,

Why not be yourself and see where you go, why do you have to be any religion, religeon is the cause of most arguments, just be yourself

Namaste
    feather
    feather

Female
    Number of posts : 1166
    Registration date : 2010-07-07

Post  feather Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:06 am

I just feel lost and need to find my way.

Hi Lulu, Sometimes people do need religion...to feel the fellowship of belonging and the conforming that goes with it. There is nothing wrong with that.

Humans do that...they fulfill the same need when they join clubs and organizations. It's just that Religion tends to have lots of rules and lifestyle obligations that go with it...and people aren't always able to accept all the rulings and teachings because to someone who likes to think for himself...some beliefs make absolutely no sense....which makes it not so comfortable to be a part of that religion.

I wonder what it is about yourself that ...makes you feel as if you don't fit into the religions that you have tried so far?....and what do you feel drawn to with these religions?.....and what do you hope to get from religion?..... can you get that same thing from finding your own beliefs and living them outside of organized religion? ....the answers might help you understand.

It could be a learning experience for you to get to know yourself better. When you find the place where you should be, you will feel calm and relaxed, like you have come home... not tight, stressful and out of place.
    Aura

Female
    Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2011-10-23

Religion - Very confused Empty my path

Post  Aura Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:11 am

i am me, i walk my path and my way. i try to not just do good things but also to think good things. sometimes one can fall by the wayside, but thats being human. but i do try to hurt no one and think thoughts that go out well into the universe. when im out i try to smile to people and say hi. even when the big issue sellers try to sell the magazine i cant afford to buy, i still smile at them and say no thank you, unlike some who just walk past and ignore them. i actually feel sorry for them and smile and say no thank you. i help if it is in my power to, even to strangers. i smile and say morning but some people ignore you when you say hi :-( but i still try even when that saddens me. i try not to let it stop me saying hi. my path is mine only to walk and no one can walk it but me. so i just walk my path the best way i can and go with what feels right for me. Blessings xxx
    Lulu
    Lulu

Female

Post  Lulu Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:06 am

I think I did just want to get things off my chest, but then I felt a bit embarassed about it. That's why I didn't get back in touch for a while. I didn't know how people would react and that I would set off such a debate. It's nice really, most forums I have been attached to, I leave quickly because there are some very negative people who like the sound of their own ranting too much.

I think I have finally found the forum for me. Everyone is very helpful and kind.

And I think that brings me back to religion, I do feel as if I have never really belonged to anything. I'm not quite sure why, so I guess I was searching for something to belong to.But since reading all your replies I do feel better, I don't need to practice religion to belong, I belong to being human which should be enough.
    feather
    feather

Female
    Number of posts : 1166
    Registration date : 2010-07-07

Post  feather Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:12 am

Religion - Very confused 577431 Religion - Very confused 182340

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:51 am