Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Meditation feeling like a chore

JTheCreator

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2013-01-07

Meditation feeling like a chore Empty Meditation feeling like a chore

Post  JTheCreator Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:31 am

Hey all,

I think I saw a post like this somewhere, but can't find it, so I made my own.

Lately, I'm having trouble meditating. I was getting back into it in December and meditated for a few weeks. Then the holidays came and I just kinda fell out of it. This month I maybe meditate every other day, but most of the time consists of prayer for blessings, whether for myself or others. I meditate about 20 mins, feel nothing and do something else. I was just about to try to meditate before writing this and an old feeling hit me. "It feels like a chore."

That's one of the biggest problems I have with meditating. Either I'm really into it and make it a daily thing, or I fall out of it. Either I enjoy myself and go deep enough for an hour, or I sit there bored and wonder why I'm even trying. It's a real problem, because I'm interested in spiritual development and I know meditation is the way to go. Yet, I just can't seem to keep it constant. And now that I'm back in this phase where it feels like a chore, I worry that I'm falling away from it.

Has anyone had similar experience? I'm sure there's a few of you. How did you cope? Do you meditate still, or differently now? I often wonder if it's because my generation is so stimulated by technology all the time that maybe I need a different type of meditation that meets that level of stimulation. But that's not really the point of meditation. Stillness and silence are the point. And so I just get lost.
    shayn
    shayn

Female
    Number of posts : 4035
    Job/hobbies : tarot reader
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Meditation feeling like a chore Empty Re: Meditation feeling like a chore

Post  shayn Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:41 pm

yes love, in a way meditation is a chore, it is a daily work, sometimes it is nicer then other times. i don't know what kind of meditation you do, if you use music and some guide lines, so maybe just try changing the music and the story you use. but if you do a quiet meditation just sitting there with eyes open or close like i do, i do a zazen meditation, then sometimes it is a chore, it is a hard work that is to gain "control" bad word but i can't think of another at the moment, so yes, it is a practice and sometimes i is hard, but the important thing is to keep with it, everyday at the same time, and as my teacher says, sit of one moment, only one moment, but sit and meditate, it is better then nothing. don't be hard on yourself, but don't give yourself a break just because you are moody.
    else, you can try to add music, add a guide line or even ask someone to join you, meditating together is nice and sometimes helps to ease the feeling of a chore.

hope this helps you

s
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:31 am

Hmmm IMO I don't believe it should feel like a chore, if it does perhaps you're doing it too often, I take on board and respect your comments Shayn, but I do feel quality over quantity every time.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    JTheCreator

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2013-01-07

Post  JTheCreator Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:02 am

Violet wrote:Hmmm IMO I don't believe it should feel like a chore, if it does perhaps you're doing it too often.

Is that possible? My father does it daily/nightly. I figured if he does it everyday and is dedicated, then I should be able to do the same. I never thought about whether meditating daily for an hour or so vs meditating weekly for several hours could be an option.

I tried some meditation tonight before writing this and made it to 30 mins easily. I guess I just wasn't feeling it last night. I had a lot more focus and could see flashes of my third eye (this is a usual occurrence that I have yet to discuss on the forums). Thanks for the kinds words Violet, and Shayn.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Oh yes definitely you can, you've got to suit meditation to your own needs and lifestyle and if it feels like it's becoming a chore how can you enjoy it? It is true some meditate daily sometimes more than once in a day but for most this is simply not possible. I'd try doing less maybe once or twice a week see how that feels you can always increase or decrease.

If you are meditating simply to meditate ie not developing mediumship that is fine, if you are sitting to develop mediumship then i'd recommend keeping to the same time/day as much as you can I really believe this helps, I used to sit at the same time one night a week let's say it was every monday at 9pm (as an example) it was enough for me, snd I found the meditations improved as I wasn't stressing about doing them every day.

feather
    feather

Female
    Number of posts : 1166
    Registration date : 2010-07-07

Post  feather Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:07 am

If meditation feels like a chore and you feel like you have to force yourself to do it...what is happening is the mind is stuck in an outcome situation....any meditation will not be effective anyway.

Meditation is the opposite of force. Meditation is letting go of daily thoughts and worries about life and just feeling the peace of being freed from mind games. It's like a time out and should feel like a safe haven away from life's dramas.

When I feel overcome by a situation, I just lie down away from everything and everyone and say quietly in my mind...'ok...show me some pictures so I can relax.' The intuitive brain takes over and little visions or pictures start passing through my mind....and I just notice...some are really quite awsome.
    SpiritSeeker
    SpiritSeeker
    Just joined

Female
    Number of posts : 4
    Job/hobbies : All things Spiritual
    Registration date : 2013-03-16

Meditation feeling like a chore Empty binaural beats?

Post  SpiritSeeker Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:59 pm

I have had the exact same problem lately although I know this is an old post...I have been doing some Binaural beats for relaxation before bed and find I can go into more of a meditative state the ore I do it so maybe you could try that? Sometimes just knowing I can drift off after a meditation helps as well as keeping the music fresh.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:06 am

Good point Spiritseeker, relaxation is always good before meditation as many people are tense or stressed from day to day life

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:10 am