Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
1antique
psychoslice
Violet
7 posters

Why do angels have wings?

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

angels - Why do angels have wings? Empty Why do angels have wings?

Post  Violet Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:24 am

Does anyone know or have any thoughts on this?

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    psychoslice
    psychoslice

Male
    Number of posts : 1117
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

angels - Why do angels have wings? Empty Re: Why do angels have wings?

Post  psychoslice Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:38 am

Yea Angels are depicted with having wings because the word Angel means messenger, its the swiftness of the message from heaven to the one who receives the message. Wings just represent swiftness nothing more, also most just like the thought of cuddly wings and in their minds believe there is such a thing. :angel:
    1antique
    1antique
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3378
    Job/hobbies : Searching For The Truth
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post  1antique Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:14 am

A common description sometimes given of angels is that they are "beings of light," which are sometimes described as "fearful to behold" due to their tall stature, purity, and sheer power. Some will also describe angels as having wings and maybe even halos. Yet, the western idea of wings and halos originated through ancient religions and mythology. Images of angels looking like human beings, but with wings, were an ancient idea that illustrated benevolant spirit beings as coming from a "higher place" or the "heavens." Wings were an easy way to convey the idea of angels crossing back and forth (or even up and down) from the spirit world to Earth and then back again. Many ancient gods were often depicted as birds or as having wings (think Egyptian, for example). By the fourth century (AD), angels were widely perceived as having wings within western cultures, while wings were virtually non-existent within the Eastern religions. Many ancient cultures had placed wings upon their deities, creatures and heroes, so it was natural for Christian artists to look to pagan cultures for inspiration. Christian artisans were inspired to add wings to angels by looking at Greek art. Muslim artists looked to Persian renderings as their inspiration for wings upon angels. During this same time, Christian painters also borrowed the idea of the halo from the Greeks and Romans who had used them prior. Today, most people with common sense can easily recognize that angels with wings and halos were an addition into religious art after much debate and eventual approval by the Roman Council of Nicaea after 325 AD.
    http://www.angelsghosts.com/angels_history
    AngelTony
    AngelTony

Male
    Number of posts : 1227
    Registration date : 2010-04-08

Post  AngelTony Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:21 pm

Wow, Thanks 1antique, that was so cool!! I love it when we can find these facts and not just believe what was passed down, but even there, it is hopeful.

I think most everyone is correct, but my love of physics says, on earth we are physical beings and have a spirit, but there is gravity, so we do not fly. As a spirit, gravity is gone, and then we CAN fly. In my dreams, I dream of flying all the time, so when I am a pure spirit....I relay want to fly, and I am going to do just that! angels - Why do angels have wings? 809779 I really am going to take to the stars...
    skye

Female
    Number of posts : 1256
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

Post  skye Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:56 pm

I think this whole idea is brought about through religion or by other means. Personally Violet, I don't believe angels do have wings. For what purpose would they be used for as they wouldn't need them much like they don't need a body form, imo of course!
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:55 pm

Thanks for all your responses guys, they've all been interesting angels - Why do angels have wings? 15910

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    AngelTony
    AngelTony

Male
    Number of posts : 1227
    Registration date : 2010-04-08

Post  AngelTony Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:35 pm

Why did God invent Humor, or make eyes so wonderful looking, because they are cool!!! My wings will be awesome!!
    jasdir

Male
    Number of posts : 122
    Job/hobbies : meditations
    Registration date : 2010-09-24

Post  jasdir Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Violet wrote:Does anyone know or have any thoughts on this?
    Because, they do not have ground to Walk on..........hah,
    Angels are not the physical bodies, They are "not was" invisible powers,
    In the acient times, the spiritual masters, use to give the example of "Angels" with "Wings", because to educate peoples that they are, flying like: invisible powers,
    So, What do you think about Goddess "Earth" ? Yes! she is flying in the universe, But! where are the "Wings",
    Respect you angels - Why do angels have wings? 15910 Violet ji angels - Why do angels have wings? 15910 .
    sparkly
    sparkly

Female
    Number of posts : 989
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Post  sparkly Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:24 pm

[quote="1antique"]wings and maybe even halos. quote]
    i like the post 1A, but particularly the part i exracted.
    the angels i see were fearful to behold, when i firt saw them. i don't see wings on the males (never seen the females full frontal), though i had metatron visit me and he enfolded me in his robe or his wings i can't be sure. the halo, is i think, in artwork a depiction to convey the shining light from within, think about it how would you show thiss in a painting? however, it is true that a light can at times be seen to shine from thir faces, or their whole elf depending on the form they appear in. :ghug:

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:32 pm