Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Aversion to extraterrestrials?

1antique
    1antique
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3378
    Job/hobbies : Searching For The Truth
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Aversion to extraterrestrials? Empty Aversion to extraterrestrials?

Post  1antique Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:05 pm

I have noticed that, almost everywhere I go (including here), that people seem to have an aversion to the subject of extraterrestrials. I find that most will agree that there is life 'out there', but, when pressed further, they quit talking. Why is this?

Scientists now estimate that, in our galaxy alone, there are well over 100 million planets capable of supporting life as we know it. Our solar system is quite young in comparison to most others in the galaxy...sometimes billions of years younger. This would mean, just by the law of averages, there would be many civilizations in our galaxy much more advanced than we are,....capable of things that we do not even understand at this point.

Every ancient civilization on earth contains stories of visitations by beings not of this earth, many with graphic descriptions in their writings, including the interbreeding of their species with ours. There are descriptions in ancient writings of genetic manipulations of the primitive species of our planet (our ancestors) to create modern man. Our ancient civilizations created structures that, with all of our modern resources, are unable to duplicate today. Stones too huge to move, cuts made so complex and accurate that we can only duplicate with our most powerful lasers. There are many more examples of clues left throughout the ages of visitations, guidance and interferance by off world visitors, but I will not delve into them at this time.

Now, what my question is, is why, when there is so much evidence that we are not alone, do people shy away from any type of serious discussions on this subject? Instead, you are treated like you are running around with tinfoil on your head and in need of some serious medication.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Aversion to extraterrestrials? Empty Re: Aversion to extraterrestrials?

Post  SpiritVoices Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:25 pm

Right up my street.

Will be back in the morning,off to bed for sleepy time.

I've marked my spot.....Aversion to extraterrestrials? 809779
    gilly
    gilly

Male
    Number of posts : 851
    Job/hobbies : Writing Sci/Fi and Fantasy
    Registration date : 2011-11-11

Post  gilly Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:32 am

Hi 1a

I suspect there is a basic inbuilt fear of the subject plus the need to stand up to ridicule from some quarters.

You are right in that by the laws of averages there should be several other sentient life forms out there who are capable of space travel.

I also believe that there are many of us who have had some kind of contact-the question is 'are they ready to talk/post about it!?'

PPLLnL

Peter
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:03 am

I'm back!

This subject has always interested me very much.

I notice 1Antique,that you mention about interbreeding way back in the past.

I'm going back to my childhood here or rather in my teens.

Remember reading in the papers that caves had been found with rough sketches on the walls,showing something like a space man. Body,legs and what looked like a space helmet on the head.

It was suggested that space men or women had mated with monkeys.

The start of our human race.

Hopefully the space explorations coming up now will lead to discoveries in future years. Way beyond my time,I expect.

Joanie
    mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  mac Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:06 pm

I can speak only for myself and I feel sure there is life elsewhere. I'm not persuaded, however, that everything that gets written on the subject is factual and I'm not persuaded that 'elsewhere' is necessarily in our own dimension.

Simply because there are planets capable of supporting life it does not automatically mean that there is, was, or ever will be, life on them. For life to be anywhere there has to be an intention that it should be so or why else would we be here?

And one could argue that as there is one suitable planet for the purpose of physical life, why would there be a need for others?
    1antique
    1antique
    Elite

Male

Post  1antique Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:53 pm

gilly

Yes, I do believe that there is, justifiably, an inate fear of ridicule in those who wish to discuss this subject. I don't know if it goes back to the idea of the Grand Design where an 'all powerful' entity created all. (which, by the way, could easily have been a highly advanced civilization visiting a primitive planet), or if it goes toward previous church persecution for heresy, the tinfoil head conspiracy theorists, or a combination of them all.
    1antique
    1antique
    Elite

Male

Post  1antique Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Joanie

There is much documentation throughout history (including in our Bible) of visitations from advanced civilizations...and interbreeding with those civilizations. Yes, those descriptions are made in a way that any primitive species would describe something that was not understandable to them....as 'the gods' coming to visit, or visitations by 'angels'. But, no matter how you wish to attempt to describe it, once you push past the flowery descriptions, it all boils down to the same thing...visitations.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm with you there,1Antique.

It is not possible for only one planet to be in this great big universe.

All that space,why should we think we are only one who survive in it?

Aversion to extraterrestrials? 160943
    1antique
    1antique
    Elite

Male

Post  1antique Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:17 pm

mac

I agree that that not everything (arguably, not much) that has been written is accurate. Much has been by conspiracy theorists, and much by people merely wanting to make a buck off of people's desire to know the truth. But, the writings that I speak of date back thousands of years to the Bible, the Inca, the Maya, the Mespotanians, the Egypians, etc. Every advanced culture has in it's writings descriptions of visitations.

For life to exist, there must be a purpose for that life to exist. Was this theory not brought forth by the church in order to keep the masses from thinking that there might be more than just theology? Even theologians are now beginning to swing toward the probability that we are not the only intelligent life.

I agree that, just because a planet is capable of supporting life it does not mean that it ever has had life on it. But, at the same time, it is sheer arrogance to believe that, out of the billions (if not trillions) of solar systems existing in space, we are the only planet to have the perfect conditions for which life to exist. When scientists speak of the law of averages concerning the number of planets existing which could support life, I have always heard the expression 'life as we know it'. This is, as our scientists are discovering daily, a very narrow way of thinking. There have been discoveries of extremophiles living in conditions on this planet that, up till recently, have been thought to be impossible conditions.
    1antique
    1antique
    Elite

Male

Post  1antique Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Joanie

That thought that we are the only ones is pure arrogance on our part. But, then again, is it arrogance? Or is it the fear that, maybe, just maybe, we are merely a very small piece of the puzzle.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:02 pm

...and a fear that we may expect....how can I put it?

Invasion in the future?

Or hopefully a combined community of astral visiting between planets.

Long time before that would happen.
    mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  mac Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:19 pm

My personal conviction comes from the teachings of spiritually evolved entities rather than ancient texts, observations etc. I'm comfortable agreeing that there are others, perhaps other species, living elsewhere but I remain unconvinced that our origins are as suggested.

My earlier observation remains. "...one could argue that as there is one suitable planet for the purpose of physical life, why would there be a need for others?" But if it's claimed that any life just evolves spontaneously somehow then there's every possibility that other environments might randomly provide just the right conditions and life of some description might arise. Spiritual teaching, however, says that randomness is not part of the Great Spirit's plan.

We here have all reached similar conclusions for different reasons. Do the reasons really matter?
    gilly
    gilly

Male
    Number of posts : 851
    Job/hobbies : Writing Sci/Fi and Fantasy
    Registration date : 2011-11-11

Post  gilly Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:03 pm

That there are other intelligent lifeforms is I think beyond any doubt in my mind. The problem is whether any have evolved spaceflight and visited this earth?

If the answer to that is yes then they appear to have left us largely to our own devices. People fear intervention after films such as Avatar and a whole string of gruesome encounters with aliens. But maybe the truth is closer to the film ET where a visit is made and contact only follows because of the need to rescue one of their own. Or perhaps as in the series of films of Star Trek there is a laid down law that the space travellors may not interfere with a planets civilisation.

'CIVILISATION!' there is another possibility maybe they exist out there and are waiting until we evolve into a truly civilised species.

There ar many possibilities but I am unable to accept the concept that we alone exist in the immensity of space.

PPLLnL

Peter
    feather
    feather

Female
    Number of posts : 1166
    Registration date : 2010-07-07

Post  feather Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:34 am

1antique wrote:Now, what my question is, is why, when there is so much evidence that we are not alone, do people shy away from any type of serious discussions on this subject? Instead, you are treated like you are running around with tinfoil on your head and in need of some serious medication.

Because they are scared.
    1antique
    1antique
    Elite

Male

Post  1antique Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:47 am

I agree, feather. People naturally fear what they do not understand.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm