Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
mac
Viking
KapitanPrien
Violet
8 posters

Any problems with the forum...

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Any problems with the forum... Empty Any problems with the forum...

Post  Violet Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:49 am

Please be aware that our forum hosts are doing a little work for our benefit behind the scenes,( I have just had a maintenance page,) so don't worry if you get one, please bear with us it won't last long :grin:

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    KapitanPrien

Male
    Number of posts : 274
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Any problems with the forum... Empty Re: Any problems with the forum...

Post  KapitanPrien Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:18 pm

Hello,

I've been sending out PM's as of recent and I usually get prompt responses, but now I haven't been getting any.

So I do not know what is going on - is there a problem with the PM system?

Thanks,

Prien
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi Kapitan

No problem with the pm system as far as i'm aware, but i'm currently running this place on my own, that takes up a lot of time behind the scenes I try to respond to all pm's as quickly as I can and usually within 24 hours.

KapitanPrien

Male

Post  KapitanPrien Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:29 pm

Hello,

Oh ok - I didn't know if you had any help or not. I understand as I had run a group/board myself with things. So I know what it is like as an owner of a group/forum how it is with responsibilities.

Prien
    Viking
    Viking

Female
    Number of posts : 234
    Job/hobbies : Retired

Post  Viking Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:56 am

Hi, Violet. I think I saw somewhere that we can't post links here. If that's right, can you tell me why?
    Some links lead to great knowledge and info re new scientific experiments which actually go a long way to explaining the paranormal through ground breaking tests. The last one I read was closing the gap between science and the paranormal. I found it convincing and very uplifting.If we don't allow those links, we are shutting ourselves off from a huge body of knowledge and source of comfort.
    KapitanPrien

Male

Post  KapitanPrien Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:22 pm

^ I agree with you Viking. I would be interested in the information, if it isn't way too 'intellectual'. Any problems with the forum... 28115
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:12 am

Viking wrote:Hi, Violet. I think I saw somewhere that we can't post links here. If that's right, can you tell me why?
    Some links lead to great knowledge and info re new scientific experiments which actually go a long way to explaining the paranormal through ground breaking tests. The last one I read was closing the gap between science and the paranormal. I found it convincing and very uplifting.If we don't allow those links, we are shutting ourselves off from a huge body of knowledge and source of comfort.

Hi Viking here are the rules on links Any problems with the forum... 821538

Links: Ideally we'd prefer no links at all but we do appreciate that some can be useful and we will generally overlook any links of this nature as long as they are used sparingly and considerately and will benefit our members in some way. Please do not link to threads in other forums or copy the content of another forum into here.

Commercial Links: Are strictly not allowed if they are adverts or for personal gain.

It isn't a blanket ban as such, I just don't want posts replaced or to be outweighed by links I like to hear what people have to say, i've seen some forums grossly peppered with links and it defeats the whole object of a 'discussion forum.' Any problems with the forum... 821538

mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  mac Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:21 am

"I just don't want posts replaced or to be outweighed by links I like to
    hear what people have to say, i've seen some forums grossly peppered
    with links and it defeats the whole object of a 'discussion forum.'"
    My view is that links can be a lazy way of engaging in forums as indeed large chunks of quoted text can be from those, or other, links.....

I see discussion/debate forums as being expressly that - for discussion and debate. I deplore it when a piece of text has been lifted and copied without the member contributing any personal points - or disappears after asking questions.
    L'angel
    L'angel

Female
    Number of posts : 276
    Registration date : 2010-02-06

Post  L'angel Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:27 am

I agree. While some links are beneficial to those who want to further their understanding or information, too much is just...well too much! Any problems with the forum... 348985
    Viking
    Viking

Female

Post  Viking Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:24 am

I respect your reasoning re too many links but this policy limits contributions here to what only we can contribute. That is a tiny fraction of what is available out there as regards up to date info on research etc. I know I have learned much more from links than from any internal posts on forums. It's up to you , Violet, of course, but I think the benefits far outweigh the problems. It all depends on whether you want the forum to be inward looking or open to new knowledge.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:14 pm

I respect this site for even allowing links to be placed on the forums.
    Some sites won't allow them at all.
    Which a shame really but I do appreciate the reseason why. Any problems with the forum... 834839
    Joanie
    Viking
    Viking

Female

Post  Viking Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:28 pm

As I said before, I respect other people's opinions re links but I have to admit I don't really understand their reasoning.I feel it's like a closed shop, restrictive and limiting. Can someone explain why links are to be discouraged? This is a discussion forum and links can further discussion in very meaningful ways.Dare I say that maybe links are regarded as a threat, too much of a challenge? My apologies in advance if this is not the case.
    KapitanPrien

Male

Post  KapitanPrien Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:26 pm

^ My view is the same as Viking's. That's why I took many of my favorite links and put them into my 'Junk Room' blog. That way if people want some good links that may help them - they're welcome to 'browse'.

I tend to rely heavily on information from others because I conduct this aspect of my life like I conduct my historical research. That's just how I operate. I often can't really describe or explain what I'm going through and if people want to know about my experiences - there are some in the 'Junk Room' but as far as the memories - well, I naturally have a blog for that. Any problems with the forum... 28115

I think there needs to be a sort of balance. I understand the view of being 'overwhelmed' with links, but at the same time...there does get to be a point where things do become quite restrictive and when it reaches that point...I either walk away never to return, or start misbehaving. Any problems with the forum... 160943
    Kaere

Female
    Number of posts : 2719
    Registration date : 2009-05-19

Post  Kaere Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Violet wrote:
    It isn't a blanket ban as such, I just don't want posts replaced or to be outweighed by links I like to hear what people have to say, i've seen some forums grossly peppered with links and it defeats the whole object of a 'discussion forum.' Any problems with the forum... 821538

Seems to me that Violet has explained her reasoning quite well and clearly. And she's shown exactly what she means by this - there are many posts made here that have links but that's just to illustrate a point or get the conversation going. Some people like to bring in five or ten links and then just leave it hanging in the post and nothing gets discussed and there's no direction to it. SI is more than just a library of links - and that's the whole point.

I see nowhere that it says not to have a link to start a discussion and it's being made to sound that there is no flexibility here for that, which is patently untrue. I am finding these criticisms to be quite unfair to Violet and her vision for her boards. Complaints over a non-issue.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Widening this thread slightly, in common with others (I expect?) I'm a member of several other websites. From experience on them I judge Violet's website to be a very well balanced one in all respects.

I'm not being sycophantic towards Violet but the rules, restrictions, expectations about 'showing respect', moderation etc are WAY more onerous on some others to the extent that recently I've withdrawn from regularly posting on three of them to avoid being reprimanded simply for responding to general topics. Treading on egg-shells is how it feels as I strive to avoid hurting others' sensibilities, moderators waiting to pounce on any little perceived 'disrespect'....

For those whose interest is in researching then I would have thought that links in a personal space would be the simplest option. From a general topic thread interested readers could then be informed about relevant links in someone's personal space - I guess Prien's is set up in just such a way.

I'm the opposite in approach to both he and Viking in their respective fields of interest. Website forums are for discussion and debate for me and I have little interest in wandering around the Internet following links. I enjoy interacting with members and links in postings have little interest - rather as I dislike avatars and lines of text as a 'signature' on every single posting, the signature text often comprising more than the topic response!

Those I tolerate and try to focus on what's been written but I really don't want to see any additional irrelevant material.

Violet is wholly entitled to operate her website as she chooses - it works very well for me. If others find the system restrictive or onerous there are alternative websites which may provide a more suitable place for their particular needs.
    Viking
    Viking

Female

Post  Viking Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:19 pm

I don't want this issue to become too contentious but nobody has explained why links are so unwelcome here. I am not criticising Violet or anyone else. I'm just trying to understand why it should be like this. Links can be a valuable source for discussion. Is it that you don't want counter arguments to appear here? If so, this is not the place for me. Any problems with the forum... 753319
    Kaere

Female
    Number of posts : 2719
    Registration date : 2009-05-19

Post  Kaere Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:22 pm

I think it's been explained several times. Violet has not said that links that lead to discussion are not welcome here - it's the inundation of links with no discussion that is not allowed. How is this not clear? And what has that got to do with not wanting counter-arguments on a topic? I do not see the connection between the two.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Viking wrote:I don't want this issue to become too contentious but nobody has explained why links are so unwelcome here. I am not criticising Violet or anyone else. I'm just trying to understand why it should be like this. Links can be a valuable source for discussion. Is it that you don't want counter arguments to appear here? If so, this is not the place for me. Any problems with the forum... 753319

I thought I'd explained why...?

Counter arguments? You ever known me to back away from arguing my point?

Links are not counter arguments - or indeed support arguments. Arguments should be made by members in a debate/discussion forum. If someone can't present the argument personally then they're not engaging, they're just quoting others' work whether that be by giving links or direct, copied pieces.

For me that's not debate or discussion.

And the only time that I withdraw is when I get unfairly censured by poor moderation or the website is boring. It happens....
    Viking
    Viking

Female

Post  Viking Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:59 pm

To explain----links can be to sites which have got a different approach to spiritualism than we see here. That's what I meant. As you say, it's Violet's forum and she should do what she thinks best for it, have the kind of forum she wants. That's obvious.I'm not arguing with that. All I'm saying is I find it too restricting. That's my problem and I'll deal with it.

mac-I see what you mean but I disagree. Links can reinforce a belief or "rubbish" it. This can lead to a great debate. Imo we shouldn't think we've got all the answers. No doubt there are big surprises waiting for us all.. My mind is open. I don't think reading alternative theories is harmful. In fact, it can be positively enlightening.I like to take as broad an approach as I can. I hold nothing as sacred or beyond doubt.
    KapitanPrien

Male

Post  KapitanPrien Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:09 pm

Kaere: Some people like to bring in five or ten links and then just leave it
    hanging in the post and nothing gets discussed and there's no direction
    to it.

This clears up the matter better for me. Thanks. Any problems with the forum... 28115
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:21 pm

I think there needs to be a sort of balance.

Hi Kapitan, there IS a balance
    Links: Ideally we'd prefer no links at all but we do appreciate that some can be useful and we will generally overlook any links of this nature as long as they are used sparingly and considerately and will benefit our members in some way. Please do not link to threads in other forums or copy the content of another forum into here.

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:35 pm

Can someone explain why links are to be discouraged?

Hi Viking, yes, as I stated previously I prefer discussion, that was the whole point of creating this forum for spiritual discussion, no one would post anything if all they have to do is click in a link to find the info they need, the internet can be browsed for such things.
    Also we have always had a websites and links section here to keep such things in one place, it doesn't need spreading right accross the board, masses of links on a site looks like spam, it is both off putting and annoying imo, we cannot guarantee all links are safe and as i'm currently working here alone I have no time to check each and every link.

I haven't said anywhere 'absolutely no links' (unless they are profit making as stated in the rules) i've merely asked for people to use them sparingly and considerately.

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:43 pm

Dare I say that maybe links are regarded as a threat, too much of a challenge? My apologies in advance if this is not the case.

No, I certainly don't see them as a threat or a challenge.Any problems with the forum... 821538

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:56 pm

That's why I took many of my favorite links and put them into my 'Junk Room' blog. That way if people want some good links that may help them - they're welcome to 'browse'.
    Hi Kapitan we have this section here Forums & Websites of Interest but there's nothing stopping anyone adding their favourites to their own blog here, we do have a very underused blog section here anyone can create one.

Viking
    Viking

Female

Post  Viking Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:21 pm

OK, let's leave it like that.Thanks for your response,Violet.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:25 am