Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Theosophy

Bodhicitta
    Bodhicitta

Male
    Number of posts : 101
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2016-02-03

Theosophy - Page 2 Empty Theosophy

Post  Bodhicitta Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

WQ Judge on "Practical Theosophy"

The ethics of life propounded by Jesus are not different from those found in theosophy, but the latter holds in its doctrines a compelling power which is absent from Christianity and from those systems which require a man to be good for virtue's sake alone. It is not easy to practice virtue for the simple reason that we ought to do so, since the desire for reward is inherent in humanity, and is a reflection of the evolutionary law which draws the universe ever upward to higher points of development. A man reads the command of Jesus to turn the other cheek to the smiter, to resist not evil, to forgive without stint, and to take no thought for the morrow, and then - pauses. His next thought is that such a canon is wholly utopian, and would if followed subvert society. In this he is sustained by eminent authority as well as by example, for a great Bishop has declared that no state can exist under such a system.

Theosophic doctrine, however, on either the selfish or spiritual line of life, convinces that the moral law must be obeyed. If we regard only the selfish side, we find when people are convinced that evil done in this life will be met with sure punishment in another reincarnation, they hesitate to continue the old careless life when they lived for themselves alone.

Hence practical theosophy must enter into every detail of life in our dealings with others and our discipline of ourselves. It reminds us that we should be more critical of ourselves than of others, that we must help all men if we are to be helped ourselves. And herein the theosophist may escape the accusation of selfishness, for if in desiring to lay up for a future incarnation a store of help from others by giving assistance now himself, he does so in order that he may then be in a still better position to help humanity, there is no selfishness. It is the same as if a man were to desire to acquire this world's goods in order to help those dependent on him, and surely this is not selfish.

The practical theosophist adds to his charitable deeds upon the material plane the still greater charity of giving to his fellow men a system of thought and life which explains their doubts while it furnishes a logical reason for the practice of virtue. He extinguishes a hell that never could burn, and the terrors of which soon faded from the mind of the sinners; but he lights the lamp of truth and throws its beams upon the mortal's path so that not only the real danger, the real punishment, can be seen, but also the reward and compensation.

The civilized man cannot be guided by fear or superstition, but reason may take hold of him. Theosophy being not only practicable but also reasonable as well as just, its doctrines are destined to be those of the civilized man. They will gradually drive out the time-worn shibboleths of the theologian and the scientist, giving the people of coming centuries a wisdom-religion deeply-based and all-embracing.

Were theosophical practice universal, we should not see the unjust Judge plotting beforehand with the officials of a railroad company about the decision he should render, nor the venal public officer engaged with the Judge and the officials in arranging the virtuous protest to be offered in court against the foreordained decree, for both would fear to rouse a cause which in their next life might issue in unjust accusation and punishment. Nor would men save their lives, as now they often do, at another's expense, since in succeeding incarnations that person might be the means of depriving them of life twice over. The rich man who now hoards his wealth or spends it on himself alone would not be thus guilty, seeing that, as compensation in another life, his friends would forsake him and nature seem to withdraw subsistence.

The practical theosophist will do well if he follows the advice of the Masters now many years in print, to spread, explain, and illustrate the laws of Karma and Reincarnation so that they may enter into the lives of the people. Technical occultism and all the allurements of the Astral Light may be left for other times. Men's thoughts must be affected, and this can only be done now by giving them these two great laws. They not only explain many things, but they have also an inherent power due to their truth and their intimate connection with man, to compel attention.

Once heard they are seldom forgotten, and even if rebelled against they have a mysterious power of keeping in the man's mind, until at last, even against his first determination, he is forced to accept them. The appreciation of justice is common to all, and the exact justice of Karma appeals even to the person who is unfortunate enough to be undergoing heavy punishment: even if, ignoring justice, he does good in order to make good Karma, it is well, for he will be reborn under conditions that may favor the coming out of unselfish motive.

"Teach, preach, and practice this good law for the benefit of the world, even as all the Buddhas do."
    Bodhicitta
    Bodhicitta

Male

Theosophy - Page 2 Empty Re: Theosophy

Post  Bodhicitta Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:13 pm

Blueanchor wrote:The initial passages tell a creation story about where man comes from. In all religions and cultures, people have created such stories, and there is substance that tells us of how people see themselves within the story. But they are a fictional representation of human substance, not a factual recount.

When creation stories are used, as if they were a factual recount, to base further philosophical ideas upon, then the effect is often to lose the substance of the idea. In my opinion, that is what has happened in this piece of writing and it makes it a weak perspective.

Having said that, I do agree with the idea that the western society that I know has created an over-indulgence in the idea of sex. I am not speaking of promiscuity or physical energies per se, but also of the sphere of mental energies that are used in the sexualisation of people in our cultural imagery and perception.

But what is it that theosophy or any other religion that condemns it, will do about it? What is the substance behind the condemnation that will bring change? And what kind of change is within its intent? These are the questions that I didn't find in the article. So what are your thoughts on them bhodiccita?

Purucker was one of the least metaphoric theosophy teachers, but if you wish to look at the human evolution passages as 'fiction' - your loss.

In common with most spiritual paths, it is rejection of or non-attachment to, body awareness that is the key to the 'sex problem'.  We are not our sex, it is the most fictional part of our delusive personality.
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Number of posts : 1189
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

Post  Blueanchor Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:34 pm

It's clearly not much of a loss, as I was just saying something to ame about identity as being a Buddhist or being a woman or man. So it would seem that I'm pretty clear on that without having to believe whatever you do.

It doesn't take a genius or a guru to find a bit of wisdom. But it does take a bit of wisdom to find a way to accept there is more than one story about creation, and none that is more truly proven than the next!
    Bodhicitta
    Bodhicitta

Male

Theosophy - Page 2 Empty Comprehensive look at Theosophy

Post  Bodhicitta Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:35 pm

David Pratt is a leading light among today's theosophists, his website covers many aspects of Theosophy:

Pratt's site
    Bodhicitta
    Bodhicitta

Male

Post  Bodhicitta Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:39 pm

Blue:   But it does take a bit of wisdom to find a way to accept there is more than one story about creation, and none that is more truly proven than the next!

Very true, but more than a 'bit of wisdom' is needed to discern a creation story from a factual representation.
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Post  Blueanchor Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:20 pm

All creation stories are representations - but a representation differs from a factual recount because a recount is based on memory of fact. I've journeyed a long way back in my own practises, and have developed understanding from doing so... and there is as much possibility of those experiences being factual memory, as there is of them being representations of development. But there is no wisdom in claiming that they are factual and no understanding is diminished from seeing them as stories.

I'm not speaking for the sake of it, or playing tit for tat with you. I understand what I'm talking about.

To tell me that my journey and the understanding that has come from it, is a 'loss' is both rude and arrogant, there is no need for it. But all the best to you.
    Bodhicitta
    Bodhicitta

Male

Post  Bodhicitta Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:52 pm

Blueanchor wrote:
    I'm not speaking for the sake of it, or playing tit for tat with you. I understand what I'm talking about.

To tell me that my journey and the understanding that has come from it, is a 'loss' is both rude and arrogant, there is no need for it. But all the best to you.

We all have our paths and some or little confidence in what we are 'talking about'.

My journey taught me that self justification or self defense in the face of criticism (rude or polite), is not only not needed but must dropped or renounced.

Likewise - follow your best lights, as I also try to do.
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Post  Blueanchor Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:02 am

Bodhicitta wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:

We all have our paths and some or little confidence in what we are 'talking about'.

My journey taught me that self justification or self defense in the face of criticism (rude or polite), is not only not needed but must dropped or renounced.

Likewise - follow your best lights, as I also try to do.
    Your journey is teaching you maybe. But there is attachment to many ideas of what is real, but who really knows that.
    Bodhicitta
    Bodhicitta

Male

Theosophy - Page 2 Empty Friends of Theosophical Archives

Post  Bodhicitta Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:06 pm

A newsletter from the Friends of Theosophical Archives, with much of historical interest regarding Theosophy.

http://hypatia.gr/fo....php/newsletter

They are also on Facebook.
    Bodhicitta
    Bodhicitta

Male

Post  Bodhicitta Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:01 pm

The TS Pasadena now has both volumes of References to Blavatsky's The Secret Doctrine online; they are a big help in understanding many passages:

http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/sdrefs/sdrefs-hp.htm
    Bodhicitta
    Bodhicitta

Male

Theosophy - Page 2 Empty Theosophy conference

Post  Bodhicitta Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:28 pm

All the sessions of the 2016 International Theosophy Conferences were video taped.  They will remain at Livestream for a time:

http://livestream.com/blavatskyhouse
    Bodhicitta
    Bodhicitta

Male

Theosophy - Page 2 Empty Many more free PDFs

Post  Bodhicitta Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:25 pm

The TS Pasadena has converted many of their HTML books into free PDFs!

http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/ts/tup-ebooks.htm
    Bodhicitta
    Bodhicitta

Male

Post  Bodhicitta Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:55 pm

"Esotericism, pure and simple, speaks of no personal God; therefore are we considered as Atheists. But, in reality, Occult Philosophy, as a whole, is based absolutely on the ubiquitous presence of God, the Absolute Deity; and if IT Itself is not speculated upon, as being too sacred and yet incomprehensible as a Unit to the finite intellect, yet the entire Philosophy is based upon Its Divine Powers as being the Source of all that breathes and lives and has existence.

In every ancient Religion the ONE was demonstrated by the many. In Egypt and India, in Chaldæ and Phœnicia, and finally in Greece, the ideas about Deity were expressed by multiples of three, five and seven; and also by eight, nine and twelve great Gods, which symbolized the powers and properties of the One and Only Deity. This was related to that infinite subdivision by irregular and odd numbers to which the metaphysics of these nations subjected their ONE DIVINITY.

Thus constituted, the cycle of the Gods has all the qualities and attributes of the ONE SUPREME AND UNKNOWABLE; for in this collection of divine Personalities, or rather of Symbols personified, dwells the ONE GOD, the GOD ONE, that God which, in India, is said to have no Second."

Blavatsky in Esoteric Instructions pp. 99-100
    Bodhicitta
    Bodhicitta

Male

Theosophy - Page 2 Empty Big changes coming

Post  Bodhicitta Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:17 pm

Purucker wrote:As a general rule, and save in certain cases
    due to karman, as for instance in certain cases of those who die in
    childhood or in early youth, the Reincarnating Ego is born into a
    different race when it returns to earth, into a different time, into
    different surroundings, and other environments.
    Bodhicitta
    Bodhicitta

Male

Theosophy - Page 2 Empty The Vision of Lord Buddha

Post  Bodhicitta Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:12 pm

When I was a boy of twelve I came upon a Buddhist quotation which fascinated imagination, mind, and heart. I think it was one of the things which in this life awoke me more than any other thing that I can recollect; at any rate it was one of the first. It is pure Theosophy and genuine Buddhist doctrine. It is this: the Lord Buddha is speaking, and I am paraphrasing somewhat his words in order to make them clearer:

"O disciples, never let discouragement enter into your souls. See you suffering in the world, see you unhappiness and pain and ignorance, misery and distress which wring the heart? Disciples, all things are destined to pass into Buddhahood: the stones, the plants, the beasts, all the component atoms of these, each and every one, aye, and sun and moon and stars and planets — all in future ages will become Buddha. Each one will become a Buddha."

What a marvelous picture! How it quiets the heart and stills the mind; for if one atom, one man, become a Buddha, everything will, for this universe is one, broken into multitudes during Manvantara or manifestation; rooted in that One, living from it, and by it. In it we live and we move and have all our being. Therefore some day, somewhere in the incalculable aeons of what we call the future, all now of the multitudes, suns and stars, planets, comets, gods, men, animals, plants, stones, atoms, elements, worlds, everything, each as individual, is destined for Buddhahood.

When I read that -- I have given you the expanded gist of what I heard -- for nearly three months I went around in a daze of spiritual delight and inner reawakening. To this day I could not tell you whether I ate or drank or slept. I know I must have done so, but I have no recollection of anything except light; and the raising of the eyes inner and outer, upward and inward. Just that thought broke open the doors closed when I drank of the waters of Lethe, of forgetfulness, when last I died. The doors opened and the light came in, began to come in.

G. de Purucker, from his Wind of the Spirit
    BigJohn
    BigJohn

Number of posts : 174
    Location : Gee.... I forgot again. Mother said to tell people "Over there!" but I cant remember being thare so I am not two sure about that.
    Job/hobbies : A. Eat food. B. Watch TV. C. On Forum. D. Go to A.
    Registration date : 2020-10-15

Post  BigJohn Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:13 am

One aspect of Theosophy I enjoy very much  is how Modern Day Theosophy was started.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am