Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

What are brooms/Besoms used for?

Auras123
    Auras123

Male
    Number of posts : 223
    Job/hobbies : Medium, Psychic, Christian Spiritualist.
    Registration date : 2012-03-25

What are brooms/Besoms used for? Empty What are brooms/Besoms used for?

Post  Auras123 Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:33 pm

My step mother, and her mother, and then her mother, are/were white witches. And last month sadly my step grandmother passed away and her broom which has been in their family for over 100 years was passed to me.
    What are they used for/represent? 

Thanks 
    A
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Number of posts : 1189
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

What are brooms/Besoms used for? Empty Re: What are brooms/Besoms used for?

Post  Blueanchor Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:43 pm

There are many rituals designed by different practitioners. So, as far as your grandmother is concerned, I don't know what she used her broom for. Could you ask your step mother?

If that isn't possible, then some generalisations. Historically, the craft was practised by the wise person of the village. They were often ordinary folk without money to spare for specific ritualistic items and the besom was just the type of broom that every household would have had (as was the pot or cauldron). So it would have been used to sweep floors.

After witch craft had been demonised, there came about many fantastical stories about witches flying on their broomsticks etc. It's only a best guess, but I believe that in trying to bring such stories back down to earth for more practical use, the old fashioned broom has taken on more meaning.

The most common uses I've heard for the broom is to cleanse a ritual area or sweep herbs around the area - or as a phallic.

A proper besom is a very beautiful use of natural materials (compared to the modern broom), and in my view, the craft is working with natural elements, so if you connect to the broom, then it may come to play a part in your craft, but if you don't, it isn't a must.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:56 pm

I'm sure I heard brooms were kept above doorways to keep negativity out.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:11 am