Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mark Twain's Dream Sweetheart

Bodhicitta
    Bodhicitta

Male
    Number of posts : 101
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2016-02-03

Mark Twain's Dream Sweetheart Empty Mark Twain's Dream Sweetheart

Post  Bodhicitta Sat May 07, 2016 4:01 am

Did not know Twain had such a rich dream life.  Here is an excerpt from his My Platonic Sweetheart which is online is several places; it was first published in 1912:

In our dreams—I know it!—we do make the journeys we seem to make; we do see the things we seem to see; the people, the horses, the cats, the dogs, the birds, the whales, are real, not chimeras; they are living spirits, not shadows; and they are immortal and indestructible. They go whither they will; they visit all resorts, all points of interest, even the twinkling suns that wander in the wastes of space. That is where those strange mountains are which slide from under our feet while we walk, and where those vast caverns are whose bewildering avenues close behind us and in front when we are lost, and shut us in. We knew this because there are no such tilings here, and they must be there, because there is no other place.
    This tale is long enough, and I will close it now. In the forty-four years that I have known my Dreamland sweetheart, I have seen her once in two years on an average. Mainly these were glimpses, but she was always immediately recognizable, notwithstanding she was so given to repairing herself and getting up doubtful improvements in her hair and eyes. She was always fifteen, and looked it and acted it; and I was always seventeen, and never felt a day older. To me she is a real person, not a fiction, and her sweet and innocent society has been one of the prettiest and pleasantest experiences of my life. I know that to you her talk will not seem of the first intellectual order; but you should hear her in Dreamland—then you would see!

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:23 pm