Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

In the now

Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Number of posts : 1189
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

In the now Empty In the now

Post  Blueanchor Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:49 am

Being in the now has become a popular philosophy. In my view, like any philosophical idea, it has its merits and its draw backs and only really becomes beneficial when the user has the wisdom to discern when to apply it and when not to. 

Ive practised tai chi and other meditative practises that bring focus fully into the present moment and they bring about a valuable perspective. 

But Ive also practised introspection, this and working with energy have given an equally valuable perspective that now is everything that ever was and ever could be. The peesent without the construction of time is all that affects and effects us from all our experiences to our imaginations.  

Putting perspectives together, it seems that time is the intellectual construction to enable people to understand the physical. The physical world only exists in the present moment. There is a wonderful peace to be only in the physical moment. Without time then the experience 20 years ago is as present now as the dream of a future is. 

To use an analogy... If you imagine being in a messy room... you cant find anything and bang your toe on things you dont even need. To be in the now is the moment that the room is cleared to its bare walls and floor. Seeing where you are clearly is the benefit of being in the now as it is commonly understood (ie free from yesterday and tomorrow). 
    However, without the balance of introspection, all the clutter has really just been pushed out the door. So all remains peaceful and clear as long as you remain in that one room that has come to be known as present. As soon as you move somewheee different in life, you start banging your toes on all that junk you came to believe no longer existed.   

Balancing being in the now with introspection is like standing in that clear space of now and then taking one object at a time and deciding if you want it in your space or if it can be put on the fire. It might be that decide to bring the armchair back into the space... with introspection you can see it for what it is. Youre aware that you could live without the chair, youre aware that it isnt really you, youre aware that you want to keep it because it brings comfort. In time, the things that are left in your space have been chosen with awareness of their use. When you move and the space you occupy changes, then it might be that the arm chair needs to go on the fire... maybe a sofa for others to find comfort with you would work better. 

Those are my views on it anyway... philosophy all comes down to how you use it.
    Aetheria
    Aetheria

Female
    Number of posts : 93
    Registration date : 2017-07-10

In the now Empty Re: In the now

Post  Aetheria Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:44 am

To be in the now, or present. I see it's connection/linking from within. To the role of ones spirit and the many different ways it influences.
    psychoslice
    psychoslice

Male
    Number of posts : 1117
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  psychoslice Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:48 am

Being in the so called Now isn't a philosophy, its what is, for where else could you ever be ?.
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female
    Number of posts : 3603
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

Post  ameliorate Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:13 am

Introspection and being in the now are both valid/useful. Both have their place, i.e. it doesn't have to be either/or.

I regard being present as having heightened awareness/being mindful which is a constant, ongoing state for me.  Introspection enables the ability to look  at the bigger picture - past, present and (possibly) what we would want for the future so I disagree that time enables the understanding of the physical - it's an essential tool in introspection/reflection on the passage of time to where we now are i.e. our experiences.
    Native spirit
    Native spirit

Female
    Number of posts : 887
    Registration date : 2011-02-04

Post  Native spirit Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:26 pm

You have no choice you have to live in the now.you cant live in yesterday and you cant live in tommorow until it comes

Namaste
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female
    Number of posts : 3603
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

Post  ameliorate Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Native spirit wrote:You have no choice you have to live in the now.you cant live in yesterday and you cant live in tommorow until it comes

Namaste
    Ah but you have misunderstood.  People DO live in the past i.e. mentally/emotionally all too frequently - not having come to terms with something, gaining closure.  It is all too common unfortunately and is what can sometimes be referred to as emotional baggage.

Also there are those that are far too focused on the future, working so hard in the present that they do not fully participate in all that it can bring e.g. spending time with their children....it is often downplayed in favour of "when I do/get this then I will be OK/happy"

The rarity is finding those who fully live in the now, i.e. are really attentive/focused/experiencing the present free of the filters/blockages that can cripple the mindset.  I speak from direct experience of knowing that this is the case.
    Aetheria
    Aetheria

Female
    Number of posts : 93
    Registration date : 2017-07-10

Post  Aetheria Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:40 pm

I agree with you Ame, about being present it gives one heightened awareness/mindfulness that helps one see introspection/reflection within, and deepen one's understanding not only of oneself but of other's as well.
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Post  Blueanchor Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:38 pm

ameliorate wrote:Introspection and being in the now are both valid/useful. Both have their place, i.e. it doesn't have to be either/or.

I regard being present as having heightened awareness/being mindful which is a constant, ongoing state for me.  Introspection enables the ability to look  at the bigger picture - past, present and (possibly) what we would want for the future so I disagree that time enables the understanding of the physical - it's an essential tool in introspection/reflection on the passage of time to where we now are i.e. our experiences.
    I feel like we are basically agreeing. My point was that introspection has demonstrated how every experience as well as the imagination are within the present.
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Post  Blueanchor Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 pm

psychoslice wrote:Being in the so called Now isn't a philosophy, its what is, for where else could you ever be ?.
    As is evident from the differing replies here, the philosophy isnt whether we live here and now... that is a cleverly used fact that everyone can agree on. The philosophy is how you identify with what now actually is. 

For you the philosophy in action means forgetting about the past (your advice in another thread). To others it means being aware of the affects and effects that are present in the now.
    psychoslice
    psychoslice

Male

Post  psychoslice Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:18 am

Native spirit wrote:You have no choice you have to live in the now.you cant live in yesterday and you cant live in tommorow until it comes

Namaste
    So true.  :astar:
    psychoslice
    psychoslice

Male

Post  psychoslice Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:23 am

Blueanchor wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:Being in the so called Now isn't a philosophy, its what is, for where else could you ever be ?.
    As is evident from the differing replies here, the philosophy isnt whether we live here and now... that is a cleverly used fact that everyone can agree on. The philosophy is how you identify with what now actually is. 

For you the philosophy in action means forgetting about the past (your advice in another thread). To others it means being aware of the affects and effects that are present in the now.
    Yes i agree, we simply have different ways of seeing it, and we then conjure up words to explain it, but they are only words i don't take too serious.
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Post  Blueanchor Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:10 am

psychoslice wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:

Yes i agree, we simply have different ways of seeing it, and we then conjure up words to explain it, but they are only words i don't take too serious.
    What matters about those words is how they are put into action. 

In words, there is little difference and without action they are just words, not to be taken seriously.  But when words relate to action and the choices a person makes, then how we understand the words begins to matter. In action there can be a life changing difference between attempting to forget an experience from the physical past or using introspection to develop awareness of the way in which the experience exists in the present.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:09 pm