Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

The Amish

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

The Amish Empty The Amish

Post  Violet Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:15 am

I watched part of a documentary last night about the Amish, anyone else see it?

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    WitchyMama

Female
    Number of posts : 23
    Job/hobbies : Wife and Mother, I enjoy writing, reading, music, and dance.
    Registration date : 2010-08-12

The Amish Empty Re: The Amish

Post  WitchyMama Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:16 am

I haven't seen any documentaries on the subject, but there is a pretty large Amish population near where I live. I have a lot of respect for the fact that they live simply and work hard, and choose not to partake in modern convienence (except for I did see quite a few mom-to-be Amish ladies at obstetrician visits during my last pregnancy). I would have difficulty in denying myself the creature comforts I am accustomed to. If one is raised that way, perhaps it is a little easier. They sell bread, jam, and other various baked goods and home grown produce at a stand at the weekly auctions in my town. Absoluely delicious!
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:16 am

The bit I saw was extremely interesting but one part I didn't like was when they said the women had to be 'suitably shamefaced at all times' i'm sure those were the actual words they used (but I could be wrong.) Why the need to be shame faced? I don't get it. The Amish 229495

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:47 pm