Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

sitting vs laying

innerlight
    innerlight
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3817
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

sitting vs laying Empty sitting vs laying

Post  innerlight Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:46 pm

Which position do you prefer in your meditation practice?

I find laying to allow me to relax more as when I'm sitting my head has a tendency to bob back and forth when i'm relaxing and it prevents me from relaxing.

I will say that if you do lay you will want to lay on something that is not your bed, as your bed should be only used for sleeping to help train your body to be able to sleep better when in the bed.
    Rainbow
    Rainbow

Female
    Number of posts : 1292
    Job/hobbies : Job; playing with my dogs. Hobbies; playing with my dogs lol

sitting vs laying Empty Re: sitting vs laying

Post  Rainbow Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:49 pm

I prefer to lay, but I did my last meditation on my bed, I didn't realise you shouldn't do it there oops, I may have to invest in some bean bags methinx. I always thought that the lotus? position looked uncomfortable. But is there a reason people sit like that to meditate?
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:51 pm

find laying to allow me to relax more
    This may be why you fall asleep sitting vs laying 28115

Try a high backed chair with a headrest or one of those flight pillow things.

I will say that if you do lay you will want to lay on something that is not your bed, as your bed should be only used for sleeping to help train your body to be able to sleep better when in the bed.
    I must admit to meditating on my bed a few times but it's rare, I much prefer to be upright in a firm chair.

Opinion is divided on meditating in bed but I suppose it's whatever works best for you personally.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:53 pm

Rainbow wrote:I prefer to lay, but I did my last meditation on my bed, I didn't realise you shouldn't do it there oops, I may have to invest in some bean bags methinx. I always thought that the lotus? position looked uncomfortable. But is there a reason people sit like that to meditate?

What's really important is being comfortable, you try to sit in any position you are not used to and it will hurt, there is no set way, just try lots of different positions and places until you find what works for you sitting vs laying 28115
    innerlight
    innerlight
    Elite

Male

Post  innerlight Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Rainbow wrote:I prefer to lay, but I did my last meditation on my bed, I didn't realise you shouldn't do it there oops, I may have to invest in some bean bags methinx. I always thought that the lotus? position looked uncomfortable. But is there a reason people sit like that to meditate?

Being uncomfortable is one of the reason that they use that position. They use it to help focus them on the meditation. A monk is going to meditate differently then we would, most times. For us we may meditate to meet loved ones, or guides. To them that is a distraction from being in the moment, or in stillness. So they use a poistion that maybe uncomfortable to keep them focused.

Yes, you should use your bed for two things, one is sleep, the other... well you can figure that one out. It allows us to keep our beds to being about sleep allowing us to sleep better. If you do more than sleep in your bed your body won't associate sleep with being in a bed.
    Rainbow
    Rainbow

Female

Post  Rainbow Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:58 pm

I think lying down will be my position, I don't tend to sit very well, I loaf more than sit. Sitting gives me back ache sitting vs laying 45824
    innerlight
    innerlight
    Elite

Male

Post  innerlight Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Violet wrote: This may be why you fall asleep sitting vs laying 28115

Try a high backed chair with a headrest or one of those flight pillow things.
    I have actually tried many positions, with meditating and like the laying down one. Yes, i'm sure it's easier to fall alseep in that position. But it's the only one that allows me to relax the most. I can not sit erect during meditation for some reason. As my breathing being stained, and I end up not breathing. It's weird, and I'm not sure why I do it. But when I sit up straight i end up not able to breath, or forget to breath.
    Rainbow
    Rainbow

Female

Post  Rainbow Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:01 pm

But surely being uncomfortable would make it harder to relax?
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:04 pm

sitting vs laying 229495
    the other... well you can figure that one out.
    Inerlight I can't imagimne what you mean....

sitting vs laying 809779 I really DO need a naughty smilie
    Rainbow
    Rainbow

Female

Post  Rainbow Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:05 pm

Hiding things under? sitting vs laying 609912
    innerlight
    innerlight
    Elite

Male

Post  innerlight Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Rainbow wrote:But surely being uncomfortable would make it harder to relax?

I would guess you can block out the pain after a while.. or they use it to stay at a certain alertness. I wouldn't meditate like that. But i guess it keeps one from falling alseep.
    Don't forget that monks can also meditate close to 20 hours a day. My butt would be so sore in that position for more than 2 hours. I once did a healing that was 3 hours, and it was soooooo boring. I had to like get up and move.
    Rainbow
    Rainbow

Female

Post  Rainbow Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:10 pm

20 hours sitting vs laying 558648 cripes I find it difficult managing an hour, but then saying that I'm kind of new to it all sitting vs laying 160943
    innerlight
    innerlight
    Elite

Male

Post  innerlight Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:12 pm

Rainbow wrote:20 hours sitting vs laying 558648 cripes I find it difficult managing an hour, but then saying that I'm kind of new to it all sitting vs laying 160943

I can do an hour.. . but that's because 50 mins of it is pure napping. sitting vs laying 809779
    Rainbow
    Rainbow

Female

Post  Rainbow Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:15 pm

sitting vs laying 768708 yeah I've fallen asleep on some tries
    Kaere

Female
    Number of posts : 2719
    Registration date : 2009-05-19

Post  Kaere Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:19 pm

I find being reclined a nice middle ground. Not sitting straight up, having to hold my body straight and such. But not lying down all the way either. Reclined still allows the body to relax enough but you aren't really so comfortable that you fade off to sleep. I just use a lot of pillows behind me and under my knees as well.
    Rainbow
    Rainbow

Female

Post  Rainbow Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:24 pm

I might try that position, if you don't mind me nicking the idea sitting vs laying 809779
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:25 pm

20 hours is extreme and should only be done imo by well practised people such as those for who meditation is a main part of their life, your average Joe Bloggs could not tolerate that. I would never meditate in an uncomfortable position either, not even for 10 minutes, meditation should not be a chore, a bore or painful. If it is any of those three I simply would not bother.
    Rainbow
    Rainbow

Female

Post  Rainbow Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:34 pm

I may come across as a bit dense here but why would you want to meditate for such a long time?
    innerlight
    innerlight
    Elite

Male

Post  innerlight Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:35 pm

Violet wrote:20 hours is extreme and should only be done imo by well practised people such as those for who meditation is a main part of their life, your average Joe Bloggs could not tolerate that. I would never meditate in an uncomfortable position either, not even for 10 minutes, meditation should not be a chore, a bore or painful. If it is any of those three I simply would not bother.
    That's why I was saying that is what monks who spend their whole lives dedicated to meditation. I suppose it's a matter of what you are doing with your meditation. If just to relax and ground you'd probably only need 10-30 mins tops. Looking to converse with guides, or loved ones.. It can vary. A dedicated practitioner can bring their meditation into all wakes of their life, and don't need to sit in meditation because they are always in that relaxed state.
    Lynn
    Lynn

Female
    Number of posts : 1467
    Job/hobbies : Retired - Interests Metaphysics
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Post  Lynn Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:07 am

innerlight wrote:Which position do you prefer in your meditation practice?

I find laying to allow me to relax more as when I'm sitting my head has a tendency to bob back and forth when i'm relaxing and it prevents me from relaxing.

Hello

For me sitting in the MOST uncomfortable chair I can find ensuring it has ARMS on the sides of it sitting vs laying 809779 or off I might well topple. For me I can not meditate alone as I go in too deep and for way too long. I need to be uncomfortable so that I STILL feel that connection to the body. I tend not to stay in the body and meditation is suppose to be for the body as much as the mind. I usually just take off for the Astral Space.

I laydown that open me too much to enter that place of being semi awake and drifting off to sleep. That pre sleep zone, in that place is where I will get the visions and the most Spirit contact and messages, when doing meditation that is ME TIME and I like to try to claim that for me.

As groups that I am with find out that I Automatic Write and that I get messges given to me, more and more that is what is asked of me. Or I am asked to lead the meditation and take one' on an Astral Journey or to make contact with one's Guides. I am open of course to assisting there, but at times that rare ME time is so appreciated. To get to that full on AWWWW space for me is next to impossible. Recenly in the past 6 months and dozens of meditations I have got that maybe TWICE.
    I fully argree but Innerlight sitting vs laying 160943 bed is for TWO things one is sitting vs laying 3579 hon.....but sitting vs laying 809779 the other is sitting vs laying 114703

Lynn
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:11 am

ensuring it has ARMS on the sides of it sitting vs laying 809779 or off I might well topple.

Lynn that is very important my chair has arrms too sitting vs laying 809779

the other is sitting vs laying 114703
    sitting vs laying 809779

I totally agree with this too:
    and meditation is suppose to be for the body as much as the mind
    innerlight
    innerlight
    Elite

Male

Post  innerlight Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:20 am

It's interesting how most prefer the chair over laying. I suppose that prevents them from falling asleep. I am more open, in that state. So that is probably why I prefer they laying down position. I guess as long as it works for me, that is what counts.

I can not consciously sojourn to the Astral Planes.. Course then my life may never be the same, or compare to the spirit realms. sitting vs laying 809779
    Lynn
    Lynn

Female

Post  Lynn Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:47 am

[quote="innerlight"]It's interesting how most prefer the chair over laying. I suppose that prevents them from falling asleep. I am more open, in that state. So that is probably why I prefer they laying down position. I guess as long as it works for me, that is what counts.

I can not consciously sojourn to the Astral Planes.. Course then my life may never be the same, or compare to the spirit realms. sitting vs laying 809779[/quote
    Innerlight

For some that simply not be the path that one is in need of doing is all. We seem to come forth with so many different layers of ablities, at times that is very hard to understand but when one finds there is a reason for it all as I have one finds that place of self that brings in a great sense of peace. I simply do not know the differene. I for so many year's though did so hope that a meditation would NOT bring me home again, that I would simply vanish into that space in time.
    For one's that things open up for them, that must be such a wonderful GIFT one gets given. To for the first time freely and comfortable leave one's body and explore, to have that first message from Spirit or seeing one's first Spirit. When I aid someone to that place I feel how thankful they be, its quite amazing really.

Lynn
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:18 pm

at times that is very hard to understand but when one finds there is a reason for it all as I have one finds that place of self that brings in a great sense of peace.

I found this Lynn...then lost it again sitting vs laying 81488
    Lynn
    Lynn

Female

Post  Lynn Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:58 am

Violet wrote:
    at times that is very hard to understand but when one finds there is a reason for it all as I have one finds that place of self that brings in a great sense of peace.

I found this Lynn...then lost it again sitting vs laying 81488

Hello Violet

What is lost is not gone just put a side for a time is all.

I had the most massive pain in me neck a two hours ago. Massive headache an jaw pain and I actually asked for a bowl just in case. I too a pillow and I laid back in the recliner ( kids being told Mom is not feeling well be resectful ) and just go lost, lost in the pain itself. Usually I would simply step from the body and go off til things settle in the body. This time I tried something new, I stayed in and I tried some of the Yoga meditation I learned Sunday. I felt that PULL to leave but I stayed and rode the pain out.

I wonder if there is something to the halfway sitting and laying postion and meditation as it was comfortable and not comfortable.

Has anyone tried meditation is a recliner ? Or does one fall a sleep in them ? I drifted off only at the end woke with a bit of a start. Rest I recall.

Lynn

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:16 am