Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

The chat box

The chat box Empty The chat box

Post  Guest Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:11 am

I think the reason the chat box is under utilised is because of its positioning right at the bottom of the home page; I think most people who visit don't scroll that far, usually clicking 'new posts since last visit' right away unless they're starting a topic.

On an old forum I used to frequent, there was a 'Who's chatting' infolet right at the top of the website under the forum banner/controls, listing anyone in chat along with a link to open the chat box in a new, small, window. That was on a different platform to this site, but it was fairly simple and made a big difference to chat usage. Maybe it'd work here?
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

The chat box Empty Re: The chat box

Post  Violet Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:17 am

Hi Dilettante, the chatbox can be positioned at the top of the foum, i'm sure i've tried it there in the past but I feel it looks untidy making the forum look topheavy, it didn't get used more often either but we have more members now so perhaps it's worth another try.The chat box 821538

Post  Guest Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:10 pm

Mmm, yes - Having seen it there, it does look a little out of place... No way of coding a little info applet like the one I mentioned?
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:14 pm

Not that I know of, i'll see what I can find out and get back to you.
    lumas
    lumas

Male
    Number of posts : 135
    Registration date : 2011-06-28

Post  lumas Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:20 pm

This is probably written somewhere but are non members allowed in the chat room, if not it might be worth thinking about just in case somebody wants to just chat about something spiritual just a thought
    lumas
    lumas

Male
    Number of posts : 135
    Registration date : 2011-06-28

Post  lumas Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Also just a thought instead of having the actual chat box at the head of the home page is there a way to just show how many or if anybody is in the chat box at the head of the home page
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female
    Number of posts : 3603
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

Post  ameliorate Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:11 am

When someone logs into chat and waiting for others to join, there is the temptation to not stay in chat but to quickly explore this site. Instead of having to keep popping back into chat - to see if someone has entered - could there not be a little beep sound rigged for when someone enters chat? I know there is this facility i.e. on another forum. It would be very helpful. Could this please possibly be considered?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:37 am