Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Spiritualist Wedding?

ChloeBell1313
    ChloeBell1313

Female
    Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2012-07-12

Spiritualist Wedding? Empty Spiritualist Wedding?

Post  ChloeBell1313 Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:20 pm

I'm not sure if there is where this should fall, So please let me know if it should be moved!

I'm really curious about this. I'm looking for some more information about what a spiritualist wedding would be or would entail. I would love to include a spiritualist reading, or a spiritualist segment in my upcoming wedding. Googled it to death and pretty much just ended up with a bunch of Christian things talking about being spiritual. Having a very hard time finding anything, So i would love any input, information or ideas. =)

Spiritualist Wedding? 348985
    mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Spiritualist Wedding? Empty Re: Spiritualist Wedding?

Post  mac Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:44 pm

ChloeBell1313 wrote:I'm not sure if there is where this should fall, So please let me know if it should be moved!

I'm really curious about this. I'm looking for some more information about what a spiritualist wedding would be or would entail. I would love to include a spiritualist reading, or a spiritualist segment in my upcoming wedding. Googled it to death and pretty much just ended up with a bunch of Christian things talking about being spiritual. Having a very hard time finding anything, So i would love any input, information or ideas. =)

That's an interesting point. I don't think there's any such thing available although naming and funeral ceremonies are of course commonplace.

If there were to be a marriage procedure I'd expect some fundamental differences compared with most mainstream ceremonies.
    ChloeBell1313
    ChloeBell1313

Female

Post  ChloeBell1313 Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:44 pm

mac wrote:
    ChloeBell1313 wrote:I'm not sure if there is where this should fall, So please let me know if it should be moved!

That's an interesting point. I don't think there's any such thing available although naming and funeral ceremonies are of course commonplace.

If there were to be a marriage procedure I'd expect some fundamental differences compared with most mainstream ceremonies.

Right, I would really love to know. Im already having a very basic, non religious, ceremony. But it would be nice to just throw in a little something.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:39 pm

You may have to do the 'official' stuff at a registry office but i'm sure there is an equivalent to a 'church blessing' at a Spiritualist Church, there are a few people I can ask for you but it may take a few days, in the meantime is there a Spiritualist Church near you? You could pop in and ask? I know for a fact the Spiritualist hymn books contain hymns for such a ceremony, you could also contact the SNU (Spiritualist National Union) directly?
    ChloeBell1313
    ChloeBell1313

Female

Post  ChloeBell1313 Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:05 pm

I asked around at my metaphysical school, and they mentioned that there IS a Spiritualist church not too far. Apparently its the only one in the US affilited with the british mediums union? Im not sure about all that stuff, so dont quote me on it. Anyway. I think contacting them is my next step.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:16 pm

ChloeBell1313 wrote:I asked around at my metaphysical school, and they mentioned that there IS a Spiritualist church not too far. Apparently its the only one in the US affilited with the british mediums union? Im not sure about all that stuff, so dont quote me on it. Anyway. I think contacting them is my next step.

Perhaps it's the SNU - http://www.snu.org.uk/ - that they're linked to?

The NASC - http://www.nsac.org/ - has a list of Spiritualist churches in the USA and you might find there are others in your locality.
    Carolyn
    Carolyn

Female
    Number of posts : 541
    Job/hobbies : Writing, singing, and not wasting a moment of every day I wake up.
    Registration date : 2009-09-01

Post  Carolyn Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Have you googled "hand fasting"? There are some beautiful hand fasting rituals out there. If Adam and me ever tie the knot (literally), this is how we would like to celebrate such a thing with our friends and family. I'm discovering how deep love can be for the first time, Remember, marriage is an honor between two souls, that they alone make, that no one else has the right to make so or to sever, and the paper document makes it legal no more or less than a civil union. Its about the celebration of the joining that has already been made by the two souls.
    ChloeBell1313
    ChloeBell1313

Female

Post  ChloeBell1313 Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:40 pm

I do know of hand fastings, and for whatever reason i am just not drawn to it personally.
    Ive thought about coming up with my own, but im not super creative with it comes to wording.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:45 am

Keeping to the Spiritualism theme started in this thread, I've made enquiries elsewhere and found that at least in the UK there appears to be no formal marriage ceremony. There may be a church blessing of the civil act but Spiritualism does not have a marriage ceremony.

This might, of course, be different in the USA or Australia, two other nations where the religion of Spiritualism is found.

Strike all that. Further information has come my way recently - I should have checked for myself . A member found the information below through a Google search
    http://www.snu.org.uk/community/ministers/weddings.html

Last edited by mac on Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ChloeBell1313
    ChloeBell1313

Female

Post  ChloeBell1313 Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:20 pm

Yes its the SNU. I find this quite interesting. So essentially the marriage process for a die-hard spiritualist is just to go get married at a government facility and then have a blessing back at the church? Interesting, but it definitely makes sense as no one here or over there seems to have any idea of any types of traditions or ceremonies.

I would still be interested in ceremony "reading" (like a guest reading a poem/story/etc.) so if anyone knows of any information, poems, stories, etc. about love and spiritualism, I would love to explore that route as well.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:46 pm

ChloeBell1313 wrote:Yes its the SNU. I find this quite interesting. So essentially the marriage process for a die-hard spiritualist is just to go get married at a government facility and then have a blessing back at the church? Interesting, but it definitely makes sense as no one here or over there seems to have any idea of any types of traditions or ceremonies.

I would still be interested in ceremony "reading" (like a guest reading a poem/story/etc.) so if anyone knows of any information, poems, stories, etc. about love and spiritualism, I would love to explore that route as well.

I'd say that a die-hard Modern Spiritualist (as I consider myself to be) would cast aside all the nonsense associated with the rituals of mainstream religious marriage. Commitment is what counts and not the religious 'stuff'. A blessing might be comforting if one knew from whom the blessing came and why but if it's just from a minister who doesn't know the partners from Adam or Eve then it's about as valueless as any other.

That's a personal opinion, by the way, something that mac is not known for expressing!

If you're now considering poems about love et al I'll bid you adieu. mac deals only with the serious stuff. Spiritualist Wedding? 451437
    mac

Male

Post  mac Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:14 pm

Keeping to the Spiritualism theme started in this
    thread, I've made enquiries elsewhere and found that at least in the UK
    there appears to be no formal marriage ceremony. There may be a church
    blessing of the civil act but Spiritualism does not have a marriage
    ceremony.

This might, of course, be different in the USA or Australia, two other nations where the religion of Spiritualism is found.

Strike
    all that. Further information has come my way recently - I should have
    checked for myself . A member found the information below through a
    Google search
    http://www.snu.org.uk/community/ministers/weddings.html
    ChloeBell1313
    ChloeBell1313

Female

Post  ChloeBell1313 Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Coincidentally, I was handed a print out of the wedding ceremony break down last night at circle. Problem solved! (Would still have loved for there to be a unique unity ceremony though, the ceremony i got uses a unity candle which is just a bit too traditional for me.)
    mac

Male

Post  mac Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:03 pm

I don't have a clue what a unity candle is or symbolizes....

I recently read the blurb the minister reads out for the Spiritualist marriage and it is somewhat different from mainstream, Christian ceremonies.

As an additional bit of info, a friend is the owner of one of 'my' regular Spiritualist websites and he was married some time ago here in the UK using a Spiritualist ceremony.

I've learned something from your enquiry - thanks!
    ChloeBell1313
    ChloeBell1313

Female

Post  ChloeBell1313 Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Did you have a copy of the blurb the minister reads? I would love to read something else. On that link you send me I only saw that they DID preform them, I didn't see exactly what was said, but I may have missed it.

I really liked the spiritualist ceremony i was given. It was very neutral and said a lot of nice things, it was perfect for me and my fiance' as his religious beliefs are yet to be determined. So it was actually kinda perfect as it said some nice things for me, yet didn't feel too overly religious one way or another which is good for him.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:34 pm

ChloeBell1313 wrote:Did you have a copy of the blurb the minister reads? I would love to read something else. On that link you send me I only saw that they DID preform them, I didn't see exactly what was said, but I may have missed it.

I really liked the spiritualist ceremony i was given. It was very neutral and said a lot of nice things, it was perfect for me and my fiance' as his religious beliefs are yet to be determined. So it was actually kinda perfect as it said some nice things for me, yet didn't feel too overly religious one way or another which is good for him.

I don't know the origin but

SEE BELOW THIS LINK taken from http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=spiritualist%20wedding%20ceremony&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.associatedministers.com%2FAssociatedministers%2FSpiritualist%2520Wedding%2520Service.doc&ei=iV0JUOiJDYLB0QWf2bS1Cg&usg=AFQjCNHe5xdVgDmupTvsVltur8MEOtyzpw&cad=rja

"Basic Spiritualist Wedding Ceremony
    After wedding party assembles around the minister:
    Opening Meditation:
    Let us form a Circle of Love in our hearts, and begin with a moment of silent prayer or meditation. In that moment, let us connect our hearts and souls with the Divine, Let us bring to this Circle of Love a sense of Respect and Joy in our celebration of this special day for and , and bring into our hearts the presence of those who could not be with us in this time and space.
    (a moment of silence)
    Even as we have asked, so may it be.
    Charge to the Community
    Love is the eternal and divine force of life; the mirror in which we mortal humans may see the infinite expressions of God. Love is the power that allows us to face fear, challenges and uncertainty with courage and faith. We call upon Love to bless this gathering, and to shine in our hearts as and affirm their love for one-another.
    We come together not to mark the start of a relationship, but to recognize, as a community of love, a bond that already exists. This marriage is one expression of the many varieties of love.
    It is our responsibility as a community of Love to support and as they set forth in this their vow of unity.
    We live in a world of joy and fear. We search for meaning and strength in seeming disorder. We discover the truest guideline to our quest when we realize Love in all its magnitudes.
    Opening Thoughts - A Charge to the Couple to be Married:
    and :
    In presenting yourselves here today to be joined in holy union, you perform an act of faith. This faith can grow and mature and endure, but only if you both determine to make it so. A lasting and growing love is never guaranteed by any ceremony.
    If you would have the foundation of your union be the love you have for each other, not just at this moment, but for all the days ahead, then cherish the hopes and dreams that bring you here today.
    Resolve that your love will never be blotted out by the commonplace, shaken by fears, nor obscured by the ordinary in life.
    Whether or not you have children, they are the future of humanity. It is an especially important, yet difficult, challenge to raise them up to be love-filled adults. Children are forever connected to your spirit in the same way each of us is bound to our parents. As much as they are part of your past, so are they a part of your present and future.
    While you cannot neglect them or their needs of love and nurture, neither can you hold them above your partner. Children will grow and mature, and they will find life partners of their own someday. When that day comes, it is your partner who will remain at your side.
    Be mindful to model for them what a healthy loving partnership is as you grow together in your love.
    The Challenge of Loving
    Let us all remember: Giving of yourself in love is difficult.
    You must learn to give of your love without total submission of yourself, and yet without condition.
    Therefore, in your giving, give your joy, your sadness, your interest, your understanding, your knowledge and all expressions that make up life. But in this giving, remember to preserve yourself, your integrity, your individuality.
    This is the challenge of love within marriage.
    What is Your Intent?
    I welcome those who are married among us to join hands with their partners, and to look into one-another’s eyes to remember your commitment as and proclaim theirs.
    and , take and hold one-another’s right hands. (*at this point, couple is facing minister).
    and , do you come before this gathering to proclaim your love and devotion for one another? Do you promise to affirm, respect, and care for one-another during times of joy and hardship? Do you commit yourself to share your feelings of happiness and sadness? Do you pledge to remain faithful?
    If so, answer: I Do.
    The Vows of Marriage
    and , please join both hands and face one-another.
    , will you look into ’s eyes and into her heart, and repeat after me?
    I commit my life to our partnership in marriage. I promise to comfort you. I promise to encourage you in all ways of life. I promise to express my thoughts and feelings to you. I promise to listen to you in times of joy and in times of sorrow.
    , I love you, and you are my closest friend. Will you let me share my life and all that I am with you?
    , if this is your wish, answer: I will
    ’s Vows
    , will you look into ’s eyes and into her heart, and repeat after me?
    I commit my life to our partnership in marriage. I promise to comfort you. I promise to encourage you in all ways of life. I promise to express my thoughts and feelings to you. I promise to listen to you in times of joy and in times of sorrow.
    , I love you, and you are my closest friend. Will you let me share my life and all that I am with you?
    , if this is your wish, answer: I will
    Ring Blessing
    (hand rings to the minister for blessing)
    The circle is the symbol of the sun, the earth and the universe. It is a symbol of holiness and perfection and of peace. These rings are a symbol of unity, in which your two lives are now joined in one unbroken circle. As often as either of you looks at this symbol, I hope that you will be reminded of the commitment to love each other, which you have made today.
    Ring Exchange
    , please place this ring on ’s finger and repeat after me:
    I give you this ring, as a symbol of my eternal commitment to love, honor and respect you.
    , please place this ring on ’s finger and repeat after me:
    I give you this ring, as a symbol of my eternal commitment to love, honor and respect you.
    Unity Candle (lighting):
    (As couple lights the candle): Yesterday, you were as two candles, burning alone in the night. Today, you bring your flames together to light a larger flame to show the world the Light of Love.
    In the words of the Navajo wedding ceremony: Now you have lit a fire and that fire should not go out. The two of you now have a fire that represents love, understanding and a philosophy of life. It will give you heat, food, warmth and happiness. This new fire represents a new beginning---a new life and a new family. The fire should keep burning; you should stay together. You have lit the fire for life, until old age separates you.
    Blessing of the Community
    This is a moment of celebration. Let it also be a moment of dedication. The world does a good job of reminding us how fragile we are. Individuals are fragile; relationships are fragile too.
    Every marriage needs the love, nurture and support of a network of friends and family. On this wedding day and from here on out, it is our duty not to be friends of or , but friends of them together, friends of the relationship.
    In the moment of silence that follows, I ask each of you, in your own way, to confer a silent prayer, blessing, wish or hope upon this wedding.
    (A Moment of Silence)
    So as we have asked these blessings, so may they come to be.
    Blessing of the union
    Out of this tangled world two souls have come together, drawn by mutual love and respect. May their days and years yet unborn deepen the joy of their choice and make it abidingly true.
    May the Love you have found grow in meaning and strength until its beauty is shown in a common compassionate and life-giving devotion to all that is. May the glow of your Love help brighten the face of the earth.
    May the Source of All Love touch and bless you and grace your lives with wisdom, courage, joy, peace and love.
    Pronouncement
    and , having heard your intent, and having seen the love that abides between you, it is my great joy and honor to pronounce that you are, in the eyes of God and State, Husband and Wife.
    and , you may kiss to seal your commitment of marriage.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you and , partners in Love and in Life.
    Go in peace, with love, light, and joy in your hearts. The service of marriage is ended."

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:44 am