Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

How did "witchcraft" start? My opinion

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

How did "witchcraft" start?  My opinion Empty Re: How did "witchcraft" start? My opinion

Post  SpiritVoices Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:19 pm

Witch craft in the UK actually took place in a area known as Pendle (something or other,can't quite remember the actual place name)   but they were called The Pendle Witches....Goes back a few years ago,way back....
    A movie was made of this place some years ago.     Something about the Witchfinder General.    All witches were sought out and burnt at the stake...
    Lots more to the story,I need to look on the internet for the full story....
    1antique
    1antique
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3378
    Job/hobbies : Searching For The Truth
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

How did "witchcraft" start?  My opinion Empty Re: How did "witchcraft" start? My opinion

Post  1antique Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:43 pm

Origin of Witchcraft
    Witchcraft originated with the human civilization itself. The fear of the unknown and its imagined role in making our day to day life easy or difficult, created witches and their craft. Even though witchcraft as such was practiced mainly by experienced and old women, men also practiced it. Witches were the mediators between the human beings and the mysterious super powers such as spirits and angels. When a witch succeeded in resolving the apparently mysterious problem of someone, the performance was termed as magic, a process that could not be easily explained away through any logical analysis. The witches prayed to the higher powers or the spirits for help and guidance in resolving the problem by performing certain rituals and the whole process was called witchcraft.
    Witchcraft, an earth based religion, was practiced in almost all the societies and cultures across the world according to local beliefs and traditions.
    According to scholars of witchcraft, it was a belief system whose origin predates the majority of well known religions on this earth. It dates 40,000 years back to Paleolithic period. It has been evolving since then and its present form is quite different from what it was a thousand or five thousand years back. It did not probably have this name as well. Even different covens perform the witchcraft differently.
    Archeological Discoveries
    Archeological discoveries have revealed that people worshipped hunter god and fertility goddess during the Paleolithic period. This has been proved by the discovery of cave paintings which are estimated to be 30,000 years old. There is a painting that depicts a man with the head of a stag. In yet another painting, there is a pregnant woman standing in a circle with eleven other people. These relics go to prove that witchcraft is one of the oldest religions in the world. Wiccan view of God and Goddess aspect of the supreme creative force predates thousands of years before Christianity.
    A Craft of the Wise
    In the ancient times, Witchcraft was known as ‘craft of the wise’ as the wise persons were those who followed the path of nature and were in tune with its forces, had the knowledge of herbs and medicines, gave wise counsel and were held in high esteem as Shamanic healers and leaders in the village and community. They understood that nature was superior to human beings and that human beings were simply one of the many parts of nature, both seen and unseen that combine to form one whole. As Chief Seattle said, “We do not own the earth; we are a part of it.” They understood that what we take from nature or use, we must return in kind to maintain the balance and equilibrium. The modern man has, however, forgotten this and has paid the price in form of many ecological and environmental disasters.
    Modern day Witchcraft
    Unfortunately for the past several hundred years the image of the witch has been associated with the evil, heathenism and unrighteousness due to prejudices created by the Christian church. Of late people have started understanding and practicing witchcraft as the true religion of God and Nature. There is renewed interest in witchcraft and witches profess to believe and practice the witchcraft with a sense of pride and confidence. The believers in New Age movement have understood witchcraft in its true perspective.
    Modern witchcraft attracts believers from all walks of life and positions in society all over the world. They come together to understand the life, nature, evolution and mysteries of the universe through witchcraft. Witchcraft is the most democratic religion in the world. There is no rigid dogma  and no hard-line regime  except for a simple premise that we should not sow the seeds of evil if we want to reap the evil fruit multifold and secondly that we  should not misuse the munificence of nature by disturbing its balance. Who would disagree?
    http://www.witchcraft.com.au/origin-of-witchcraft.html
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:55 pm

Hoping that Norseman will make an appearance......he could help us with this subject....
    Interest info,thank you,1antique.....I have always believed  that there are good witches and bad....
    1antique
    1antique
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3378
    Job/hobbies : Searching For The Truth
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post  1antique Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:28 am

Just as there are good and bad of everything.....
    norseman
    norseman

Male
    Number of posts : 318
    Job/hobbies : Striding the hedge
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

Post  norseman Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:51 pm

"The Craft of the Wise came with the Saxons, Old English, Friesans, Old High German, Old Norse, etc i.e. all the old languages of Northern Europe. The word used was "cunnan/kunnan" meaning to know or knowing. Also used as a verb as in - "Ic can eow laeran" meaning I can teach you. From this came our word "cunning" and the original "witches" were known as The Cunning Folk and their practices The Craft of the Wise. Origins probably as tribal shaman in the Hunter-Gatherer tribes on the tundra which became the North Sea at the end of the Ice Age. They stood high in tribal councils as advisers and keepers of the mysteries. Many names but NEVER witches - that came with christianity to justify persecution. Originally, the church aimed to eradicate the Cunning Folk but got absolutely no-where because they were protected by the communities that they served. So next the church invented witches as servants of Satan  :giggles:  :giggles: and, it was said,  that the best witch hunters were the Cunning Folk who were not called cunning for nothing. A good number "hid in plain sight" as priests and used the bible for incantations. There grew up a complex mythology that the Cunning Folk were White Witches and "the others" were Black. Truth was that there never were Black Witches and the Cunning Folk were the real deal.
    Still here doing what we always did. Think of us as Ultra Greens with "special" talents including shamanic trances. One modern incarnation are the Hedge Witches.
    Extensively researched by people like Prof. Ronald Hutton who tracked them throughout history right up to the 20th century.
    [ btw - the Cunning Path is a Crooked Path, neither white or black but both ! ]
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:50 pm

Now there's a bit of history.....a lot of information there,Norseman....
    But were the Pendle witches part of this?    

The Cunning folk,I can understand that expression.....

Very,very good information there....thanks so much..... :asmile:
    norseman
    norseman

Male

Post  norseman Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:39 pm

The Pendle Witches Trial resulted in ten people being executed but it was all based on hearsay and rumour. There was little that would accepted in a court of law.

However, there was a construction project about to begin near to Pendle Hill and echo sounding showed a cottage completely buried there. After excavation, a cat was found entombed in a wall and so the rumours started again.
    The family concerned were a bit strange which led to tales being told and so on. That's how most of those trials began.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-16066680
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:34 pm

norseman wrote:The Pendle Witches Trial resulted in ten people being executed but it was all based on hearsay and rumour. There was little that would accepted in a court of law.

However, there was a construction project about to begin near to Pendle Hill and echo sounding showed a cottage completely buried there. After excavation, a cat was found entombed in a wall and so the rumours started again.
    The family concerned were a bit strange which led to tales being told and so on. That's how most of those trials began.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-16066680
    I remember hearing that on the news.    They found the cottage,didn't they?  Plus the cat!    Wonder if they ever excavated again,just how more history they would find...?
    norseman
    norseman

Male

Post  norseman Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:52 pm

avianscepter wrote:Thanks for the information.  I thought there were laws that protected people from satanic sacrifices.
    Satanic sacrifices are a myth put about by the catholic church.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 am