Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

It's official! We have compassion!

ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female
    Number of posts : 3603
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

It's official!  We have compassion! Empty It's official! We have compassion!

Post  ameliorate Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:52 am

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/im-a-celebrity/news/a776514/im-a-celebrity-prompts-almost-1200-complaints-for-ferne-mccann-eating-a-live-spider/
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

It's official!  We have compassion! Empty Re: It's official! We have compassion!

Post  Violet Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:02 am

I saw that it was pretty gruesome, was anything said about crushed cockroaches, live witchety grubs and crickets that were eaten?

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

It's official!  We have compassion! Empty Re: It's official! We have compassion!

Post  ameliorate Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:19 am

Violet wrote:I saw that it was pretty gruesome, was anything said about crushed cockroaches, live witchety grubs and crickets that were eaten?
    Good point - I'm not sure.  Usually there are lots of complaints though about the barbaric tasks which sits at odds with

An ITV spokesman, meanwhile, said: "I'm a Celebrity complies with all regional and national laws concerning the use of insects in the eating trials .... wonder what those laws are that allow eating insects live like that.

One of the contestants, Lady C, threw a bug directly into the fire which struck me as cruel and those around her protested.

Are people more sympathetic to spiders then I wonder?
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Number of posts : 1189
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

Post  Blueanchor Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:50 am

I would say that the complaints show a tendency for people to project human emotion onto nature, rather than compassion. Like violet says, the sympathy for the spider, but none for the cockroaches demonstrates how this happens. I would guess that the spider provoked emotion because it could be seen fighting back, so people were able to imagine themselves in a glass, about to be eaten.

Our civilisation is sadly quite removed from nature.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:49 pm

Hmm im going a little off topic here but since when has the pigeon become so hated that lime is put where they nest to rot their feet away and just as bad netting out in places such as train stations where they become entangled and left to die a horrifically slow death after all these birds did for us in the war they should be treasured and recognised as our national bird, rats are greatly maligned too, those eho were cokplaijing about the spider no doubt nevef utter a word about the above.

ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:54 am

Violet wrote:Hmm im going a little off topic here but since when has the pigeon become so hated that lime is put where they nest to rot their feet away and just as bad netting out in places such as train stations where they become entangled and left to die a horrifically slow death after all these birds did for us in the war they should be treasured and recognised as our national bird, rats are greatly maligned too, those eho were cokplaijing about the spider no doubt nevef utter a word about the above.
    I found no info on treating pigeons with lime as a deterrent, e.g. via a google search.  Perhaps this was a one off?

The thing about netting is that it is used to EXCLUDE pigeons roosting in a certain area, i.e. that they are not supposed to get in
    so I am a bit puzzled by what you say about entanglement.  Is this a guess or have you seen it happen?  I know netting is used
    in gardens but, again, that is to stop them getting into something.

Railway stations find pigeon droppings cause the ground to be slippery in wet conditions so this must be why they are disliked.

I find it amusing that, despite my local council's efforts to deter pigeons from roosting underneath a bridge (with long spikes), they
    still manage to stand there!  Ineffective and, no doubt, an expensively futile treatment.

Do you know about this...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_the_Trafalgar_Square_Pigeons
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:53 pm

Oh yes, I've seen it, the netting is the wrong size for merely a deterrant and the lime well that won't be advertised, they are considered vermin and treated as such, more bothered about cars than living creatures bexause thats the main reason for getting rid, pigeon poop!

On a brighter note go pigeons!!!!you sit on those spikes and poop to your hearts content, makes me wonder if it were robins and kingfishers pooping on cars would they treat them the same...

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:57 pm

Read that article, I always feed any around me when I eat in a town, I get glared at but I don't care, they do a good job of cleaning up human mess, dropped food everywhere that   people never pick up.

ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:12 am

Violet wrote:Read that article, I always feed any around me when I eat in a town, I get glared at but I don't care, they do a good job of cleaning up human mess, dropped food everywhere that   people never pick up.
    Yes I tend to feed them but am beginning to understand their unpopularity after a recent experience.

It was at a market area where there were tables and chairs for the food takeaways.  My table was near a bin that had a pigeon on it
    - within about l foot of where I was eating.  I quite happily fed it little bits of the food I was eating when, suddenly, it flew up directly towards my face....fully winged... 
    It's official!  We have compassion! Icon_eek   I guess expecting me to back off so it could have the food.  I just made a motion with my hand to shoo it away.  So THAT is something I had not encountered before and puts it closer to the antics of daring seagulls, who swipe icecreams from a children's hands etc.  Clearly, at an eating area, their presence is a bit akin to a dog focused on the possibility of being fed, begging and drooling. Offputting.  I did notice the disapproval of some sitting close by.
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Number of posts : 1189
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

Post  Blueanchor Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:10 am

I don't agree with culling in any way, shape or form. But pigeons really don't need people to feed them, there is already plenty of food for them, and when there comes a time when there are more pigeons than food, then their numbers will naturally peak and drop off.

I think when it comes to interfering with nature, whether that be through culling or through feeding or domesticating, the best practise is to stop and assess whether that action is beneficial to the animal or to ourselves.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 1:12 pm