Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

To what extent do our true values (and behavior) represent who we are as a person?

ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female
    Number of posts : 3603
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

To what extent do our true values (and behavior) represent who we are as a person? Empty To what extent do our true values (and behavior) represent who we are as a person?

Post  ameliorate Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:18 pm

By true values I mean that with which someone claims to identify themselves - their true nature/essence with i.e. not a symptom of some current dysfunction.

I realise that it is desirable and mature to separate someone from their behaviour and true values. However, to what extent is this truly possible if this forms who they really are/represent?

An example - someone who is actively (blatantly) racist or sexist. If this forms a large part of their character, then to undermine such a mindset and try to redeem them by saying they are quite kind to certain others is a false appraisal isn't it?

I realise that by saying 'redeem' themselves I am displaying a value judgement (which makes spiritually focused people go To what extent do our true values (and behavior) represent who we are as a person? Icon_eek ) but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here, i.e. it's still possible to use discernment to perceive what is taking place.

Someone who undermines others (as in racism and sexism) is unworthy of being 'let off'. Of course other qualities they have can be acknowledged but I am interested here in to what extent does someone's true values/behaviour define themselves as a person.

What I'm getting at is that to just look at the behaviour of a person and separate who they are from it may not be an authentic separation if it's truly representative of their identity.

I realise it's possible for such views to be challenged and that, possibly, the person may take stock and, if not change, certainly moderate their views. Although to what extent this is playing the politically correct game or it being a true measure of progress is debatable.

Discuss!
    Peppermint
    Peppermint

Number of posts : 54
    Registration date : 2021-08-11

To what extent do our true values (and behavior) represent who we are as a person? Empty Re: To what extent do our true values (and behavior) represent who we are as a person?

Post  Peppermint Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:04 am

A person's behavior/beliefs reflects their personality/appearance. I guess that's what makes a person

A person can be both racist and kind. Someone can choose to ignore one and embrace the other. Or perhaps the racist person can show one side of them while not displaying or hiding the other. 

Is there any truth to a person?

A little amused to read "Discuss!" then seeing no discussion.  :grin:
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female
    Number of posts : 3603
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

To what extent do our true values (and behavior) represent who we are as a person? Empty Re: To what extent do our true values (and behavior) represent who we are as a person?

Post  ameliorate Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:28 am

Peppermint wrote:A person's behavior/beliefs reflects their personality/appearance. I guess that's what makes a person

A person can be both racist and kind. Someone can choose to ignore one and embrace the other. Or perhaps the racist person can show one side of them while not displaying or hiding the other. 

Is there any truth to a person?

A little amused to read "Discuss!" then seeing no discussion.  :grin:
    Re. a racist person being kind, as mentioned it's a question of degree i.e. are they largely kind or capable of kindness in certain circumstances?  It depends on the dominant behaviour as to what can be said to reflect themselves, surely?

As to there being an absence of discussion here, sadly this forum is far from active (as you have no doubt found).  I have come back to it recently but recall much more interactive times.  Maybe we can get the ball rolling again?  :rainbow:
    Peppermint
    Peppermint

Number of posts : 54
    Registration date : 2021-08-11

Post  Peppermint Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:15 am

Probably both. A person can be largely kind most of the times. Amongst their tribe, family, or in a job that requires you to be at your best behavior. If they live a fairly routine and comfortable life. But if they are out of their comfort zone or in a hostile environment then I can see a greater chance for their more darker, suppressed side to come out. Their racism or whatever darker aspect of them may be more obvious. I often feel you really don't know a person well unless you see how they behave in a hostile environment. When out of their element. Easy to be kind when life is going smoothly. 

Yes, maybe we can get the ball rolling again. I'm fine with it either way. Sometimes I like being able to express without too much of an audience. I'm not always sure that more people is equivalent to more better.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:04 pm