Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
millergrls
ameliorate
Assumpta
SpiritVoices
8 posters

Cold Reading.

SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Cold Reading. Empty Cold Reading.

Post  SpiritVoices Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:37 pm

Quite a few mediums,well known mediums at that,have been accused of cold reading.

Information given by the sitter quite innocently.

Information that is given out as part of a reading from Spirit.

Watch out for any information that is given that you may have given a lead on.

Watch for questions asked before reading starts or in the middle of a reading.

If the medium gives information without asking but asks if information given is correct,just oblige by saying 'yes' or 'no'.

Never add to the information given.

Sometimes folks connected to the medium will mix with the crowd of folks waiting to see medium. Picks up tit-bits of info among the crowd.

Never chitter-chatter while you waiting,especially if booked to see a well known medium. Keep the mouth shut!

Well known mediums with a very high reputation I would suggest would be above this.

But some have been accused of cold reading themselves,like Sally Morgan.

But the kind of the medium 'up the High St' be careful.

Just a few words of advice.

Joanie
    Assumpta
    Assumpta

Female
    Number of posts : 333
    Job/hobbies : Retired, love reading, writing, cross-stitch and all things spiritual
    Registration date : 2011-06-23

Cold Reading. Empty Re: Cold Reading.

Post  Assumpta Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:26 pm

Yes I heard that Sally Morgan had been accused of this which to be honest I found a bit hard to believe even though she's not one of my favourites.

As you say Joan you should never give away more than a yes or no.

Cold Reading. 821538
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female
    Number of posts : 3603
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

Post  ameliorate Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:50 pm

It has occurred to me that a good way of finding out whether a medium is genuine or not might be to fairly discreetly disclose false information before the reading starts! Hence, if this is "picked up" and used/shared in the reading this will disclose the dubious merit of the medium.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:03 pm

That's one idea,Amy. Excellent. But if a genuine medium they will catch on very quickly.

One professional medium I have seen and he was darned good.

Couldn't fault him,Colin Fry. I watched and listened to him,listened to the messages he gave and how the audience reacted. I can honestly say there were no blank looks on faces. A little doubt sometimes until the message hit home but no denying any of those messages.

The second medium I knew from another site. Also excellent,gave me messages that hit home even bringing someone through to me I had known as a child. Completely forgotten about him through the years until a dream a while ago brought him through and this medium confirmed who the spirit was. The man I had known all those years ago.

That is what I call True Mediumship.

Joanie
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female
    Number of posts : 3603
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

Post  ameliorate Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:15 pm

Yes I don't doubt that there are genuine mediums out there. As with many professions, the poseurs (who lack the genuine talent) spoil it for those who do and taint the status. :naughty:
    millergrls
    millergrls

Female
    Number of posts : 1385
    Job/hobbies : Dispatcher
    Registration date : 2012-11-02

Post  millergrls Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:29 pm

I am always very careful when I go to a medium. I never ask questions. The last one I went to was great. She never advertised and only made appointments by referrals. I liked that. I refused to asked questions. And at the same time waiting for an answers that would tell me she was for real. At the end, she didn't disappoint. She told me that my grandmother had passed one year ago today. She nailed it and I will definately go back. It was a perfect reading and she gave me so much information. Now it is just waiting for all of the things she read to play out in my life. Good things, a lot of good things.Cold Reading. 15910
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:36 pm

I have asked questions but for some reason have never been very satisfied with the answers. No idea why....

But if I sit there quietly,I always seem to receive a good and honest reading.

The only reading I was disappointed in,was from someone on FB.

He was actually training to be a medium and I think had passed his tests so far.

But the image he gave me of my husband was totally incorrect.

I was rather disappointed.

Joanie
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:58 am

I spent a long time doing mediumship readings online, this way I could not see the sitter, I never asked for names. addresses or birthdates and sometimes I didn't even know the sex of the person I read for, believing that as long as the spirits I connected with, or the spirits who connected with me, would know who I was reading for, often these people would not even be online when I did the reading, I did some very successful readings, but also I will openly admit there were a few which did not work out well. Cold reading is impossible in this situation. I don't like doing face to face readings especially for people I know because i'm acutely aware that I KNOW them and fear that will affect the reading even subconciously.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:57 pm

Very wise lady,Violet.

You are an excellent reader.....your last reading is still continuing as you gave me! Cold Reading. 621623

Joanie
    Yorick
    Just joined

Male
    Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2013-05-22

Post  Yorick Sat May 25, 2013 4:56 am

It was pointed out by a debunker that TV psychics' programmes are edited to cut out the errors. So "I'm getting the letter M. Is it Mary? (Yes)" has omitted the 6 names he tried first that were wrong. And Colin Fry discovers someone in the audience whose son was murdered so he invites them onstage. You can't tell me the producers didn't know. I get annoyed when he asks someone "Who is Tom?" I think mediums should ask "Can you take the name Tom?" Then they can go on to suggest the relationship. Have you seen this new medium from New York on TV? She was in a food shop where she "sensed" it was a family business. She was introduced to the brother, brother-in-law etc. Then she asked "Who was the man that died?" Wow! Guess what! A man in the family had died a few years ago. Don't you envy her ability? :-)

It reminds me of the June Penn horoscope I saw once that said "Gemini - you are probably thinking about giving and receiving presents." It was 22 Dec. But months later she said "You are probably thinking about building a conservatory". So all those Geminis in flats, caravans (even babies in prams) were thinking about conservatories. And what planet alignment signifies a conservatory?

Maybe some mediums cold read without realising. We all react to body language. And it can show us when a message recipient is lying too. If you're giving a message, say, from an ex-lover and you say "John is in Spirit now. But he says you were very good friends once." The lady's mouth drops open, her eyes come out on stalks. But then she goes poker-faced and says "Don't remember anyone called John." Pretty likely she's lying.

But as I posted on another website, mediums who have "lost it" will give a popular Victorian name. "Take it with you if you don't know them now" A man who died of a chest complaint. An old lady in your photo album. There are carnations in the picture (A wedding album). A lady whose name begins with S. A medium friend was once advised "if you can't get anything, give them a spiritual bouquet of flowers sent with love."

I've always been frustrated that when I've given info, I only get 2 or 3 pieces that verify I've made a link but I'm afraid if I try to hard to get more it won't be accurate. But then I suppose that's what a lot of mediums do to fill out a 10 minute reading. If it's a genuine medium I can see the pictures they're describing and get further info myself. A v good medium asked if I had a blue car. I said yes and described it. She said no and changed the subject. But I saw my brother's blue car with some damage on the front but not serious. I didn't tell anyone so nobody could tell him but felt it would be the end of the year. Xmas Eve he skidded on some ice. He showed me the car on Xmas Day. The damage was exactly where I'd seen it.

Maybe there should be a review site for mediums. :-)
    Detlef
    Detlef

Male
    Number of posts : 923
    Registration date : 2010-09-25

Post  Detlef Sat May 25, 2013 7:47 am

I am not sure why people go to those shows where a medium or psychic seams to perform some "stunts"
    S/he is under pressure to perform, so can anyone blame them if they take short cuts? It's only a bit of entertainment, nothing more.
    I had one reading in my life. Before I rang this young lady, I asked my guide if I should go for a reading, and if this lady is OK, and this answer was yes.
    So I went. I belief she is one of the greatest readers. She knew everything about me, even so she did not always name them but looking back, yes she was aware of many things which for me only where confirmed years later. I, in turn connected her with my people who ensured her they will help her with healings.
    I sometimes feel, many want those answers from someone else, even so they can get them themselves. And if someone is so easily lead, perhaps they need this lesson.
    RavenMoon
    RavenMoon

Female
    Number of posts : 585
    Job/hobbies : fulltime and lots of interests
    Registration date : 2012-05-06

Post  RavenMoon Sat May 25, 2013 7:53 am

I have mixed views Especially on Colin Fry - sorry and hopefully not to offend any fans here, but he is just not my cuppa of tea :rfth: just a strange aura round that guy.

I can sit watch John Edward I find him very good. I prefer not to do face2face as well - I do email readings and connect to spirit that way( used to do 'em on Healthy Pages site) I enjoy just the absolute "clean slate" of reading for someone I know nothing about - all I ask is the name and perhaps a picture of the person. Getting back to Cold readers, they can also pick up on the clothes you are wearing as well.. so dressing up to the nines with your best frock or fur lined pants on or even a Football shirt on is giving away info to them. There is also a natural draw to readers( who else would we tell all our inner most emotions to lol)so as Joanie said - try not to tell your life history in answer to the first question, would you tell a perfect stranger your life??

Lets face we never know who we are talking to these days and yet we strike up conversations with people who could have a crime background hahahahahaha.... or even appear dodgy (my kids reckon I am a bit dodgy but only on the senile side pmsl) :rofl: now if someone will let me have the lotto numbers.................
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat May 25, 2013 12:15 pm

Yorick wrote:It was pointed out by a debunker that TV psychics' programmes are edited to cut out the errors. So "I'm getting the letter M. Is it Mary? (Yes)" has omitted the 6 names he tried first that were wrong. And Colin Fry discovers someone in the audience whose son was murdered so he invites them onstage. You can't tell me the producers didn't know. I get annoyed when he asks someone "Who is Tom?" I think mediums should ask "Can you take the name Tom?" Then they can go on to suggest the relationship. Have you seen this new medium from New York on TV? She was in a food shop where she "sensed" it was a family business. She was introduced to the brother, brother-in-law etc. Then she asked "Who was the man that died?" Wow! Guess what! A man in the family had died a few years ago. Don't you envy her ability? :-)

It reminds me of the June Penn horoscope I saw once that said "Gemini - you are probably thinking about giving and receiving presents." It was 22 Dec. But months later she said "You are probably thinking about building a conservatory". So all those Geminis in flats, caravans (even babies in prams) were thinking about conservatories. And what planet alignment signifies a conservatory?

Maybe some mediums cold read without realising. We all react to body language. And it can show us when a message recipient is lying too. If you're giving a message, say, from an ex-lover and you say "John is in Spirit now. But he says you were very good friends once." The lady's mouth drops open, her eyes come out on stalks. But then she goes poker-faced and says "Don't remember anyone called John." Pretty likely she's lying.

But as I posted on another website, mediums who have "lost it" will give a popular Victorian name. "Take it with you if you don't know them now" A man who died of a chest complaint. An old lady in your photo album. There are carnations in the picture (A wedding album). A lady whose name begins with S. A medium friend was once advised "if you can't get anything, give them a spiritual bouquet of flowers sent with love."

I've always been frustrated that when I've given info, I only get 2 or 3 pieces that verify I've made a link but I'm afraid if I try to hard to get more it won't be accurate. But then I suppose that's what a lot of mediums do to fill out a 10 minute reading. If it's a genuine medium I can see the pictures they're describing and get further info myself. A v good medium asked if I had a blue car. I said yes and described it. She said no and changed the subject. But I saw my brother's blue car with some damage on the front but not serious. I didn't tell anyone so nobody could tell him but felt it would be the end of the year. Xmas Eve he skidded on some ice. He showed me the car on Xmas Day. The damage was exactly where I'd seen it.

Maybe there should be a review site for mediums. :-)

Know exactly what you mean,Jorick. This to me is not evidential reading. Not enough fine evidence in it. Like a description of the dear departed? Their age approx when they passed? Some memories from the past that can be taken.

Joan

SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat May 25, 2013 12:19 pm

Detlef wrote:I am not sure why people go to those shows where a medium or psychic seams to perform some "stunts"
    S/he is under pressure to perform, so can anyone blame them if they take short cuts? It's only a bit of entertainment, nothing more.
    I had one reading in my life. Before I rang this young lady, I asked my guide if I should go for a reading, and if this lady is OK, and this answer was yes.
    So I went. I belief she is one of the greatest readers. She knew everything about me, even so she did not always name them but looking back, yes she was aware of many things which for me only where confirmed years later. I, in turn connected her with my people who ensured her they will help her with healings.
    I sometimes feel, many want those answers from someone else, even so they can get them themselves. And if someone is so easily lead, perhaps they need this lesson.

Sounds like a perfect 'read', Detlef. Even evidence given that cannot be proven at the time but can be later,after said reading,is good.

Joanie
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat May 25, 2013 12:22 pm

RavenMoon wrote:I have mixed views Especially on Colin Fry - sorry and hopefully not to offend any fans here, but he is just not my cuppa of tea :rfth: just a strange aura round that guy.

I can sit watch John Edward I find him very good. I prefer not to do face2face as well - I do email readings and connect to spirit that way( used to do 'em on Healthy Pages site) I enjoy just the absolute "clean slate" of reading for someone I know nothing about - all I ask is the name and perhaps a picture of the person. Getting back to Cold readers, they can also pick up on the clothes you are wearing as well.. so dressing up to the nines with your best frock or fur lined pants on or even a Football shirt on is giving away info to them. There is also a natural draw to readers( who else would we tell all our inner most emotions to lol)so as Joanie said - try not to tell your life history in answer to the first question, would you tell a perfect stranger your life??

Lets face we never know who we are talking to these days and yet we strike up conversations with people who could have a crime background hahahahahaha.... or even appear dodgy (my kids reckon I am a bit dodgy but only on the senile side pmsl) :rofl: now if someone will let me have the lotto numbers.................

If I can not forecast my own numbers..... :blush:
    God help anyone else..... :giggles:

Joanie
    Assumpta
    Assumpta

Female
    Number of posts : 333
    Job/hobbies : Retired, love reading, writing, cross-stitch and all things spiritual
    Registration date : 2011-06-23

Post  Assumpta Sat May 25, 2013 12:27 pm

I've never been to a medium and had a one to one. The only readings I personally have had have been at a spiritualist church. The first time my Grandmother came through and the reading was excellent. The second time I'd stayed behind after the service to ask if they would be good enough to christen two of my sons, and whilst I was talking to the lady in charge she suddenly looked at me and said 'your Mum says you still tip the water out of the saucepans the wrong way.' which left me laughing as this was a joke only between me and my late Mum and the lady in question had no idea my Mum had passed.
    Of course you will always get people that think that are good mediums but aren't, that's life.

Cold Reading. 348985

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:09 am