Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

LORD RAMA and THE RAMAYANA

kardecian
    kardecian

Male
    Number of posts : 249
    Job/hobbies : Funeral Service
    Registration date : 2013-06-20

LORD RAMA and THE RAMAYANA Empty LORD RAMA and THE RAMAYANA

Post  kardecian Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:45 pm

I just finished reading THE RAMAYANA by Valmiki.  The author of this translation was Purnaprajna Dasa.  I found the book.... interesting.  I had a tough time getting through it though.  To me it read like the Old Testament (which I've never been a big fan).  The customs in the Ramayana are not easy to understand; for instance, the act of suicide by throwing oneself into a sacrificial fire is beyond my comprehension.
    The book is about the birth and disappearence of LORD RAMA, Who is said to be the SUPREME PERSONALITY OF GODHEAD.  It's the story of His coming to destroy the demon King RAVANA. 
    Rama's Kingdom lasted 11,0000 YEARS1
    I've watched ANCIENT ALIENS on cable television, and agree with the series on something: the flying vehicles mentioned in THE RAMAYANA were probably actual vehicles. I'm sure that the ancient Indian civilization had an understanding of aircraft. Also, the description of the 'missiles' used in battle were impressive. These missiles could be shot at an enemy, and the enemy could counteract your missile by shooting it out of the sky, and the 'whole night sky would light up' from the explosion.
    Another interesting thing about the RAMAYANA is this: it describes a bridge being built from India to Lanka.  The monkey-men, led by HANUMAN built this bridge.  If one looks at a space photo of India and Lanka, one can see that there truly was once a bridge (called ADAM'S BRIDGE) that bridged the two countries.  The bridge is now under water.
    I don't believe everything mentioned in THE RAMAYANA actually happened. Was Lord Rama a real Person?  I'm sure He was.  Did a nation of monkey men exist back then? Who knows?  Perhaps!  Would I read the book again? No.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

LORD RAMA and THE RAMAYANA Empty Re: LORD RAMA and THE RAMAYANA

Post  Violet Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:53 pm

the act of suicide by throwing oneself into a sacrificial fire is beyond my comprehension.

It is difficult to comprehend but people do these things and many other terrible (or what we consider to be terrible) things.

I've never heard of Lord Rama 

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:43 pm

kardecian wrote:I just finished reading THE RAMAYANA by Valmiki.  The author of this translation was Purnaprajna Dasa.  I found the book.... interesting.  I had a tough time getting through it though.  To me it read like the Old Testament (which I've never been a big fan).  The customs in the Ramayana are not easy to understand; for instance, the act of suicide by throwing oneself into a sacrificial fire is beyond my comprehension.
    The book is about the birth and disappearence of LORD RAMA, Who is said to be the SUPREME PERSONALITY OF GODHEAD.  It's the story of His coming to destroy the demon King RAVANA. 
    I've watched ANCIENT ALIENS on cable television, and agree with the series on something: the flying vehicles mentioned in THE RAMAYANA were probably actual vehicles. I'm sure that the ancient Indian civilization had an understanding of aircraft. Also, the description of the 'missiles' used in battle were impressive. These missiles could be shot at an enemy, and the enemy could counteract your missile by shooting it out of the sky, and the 'whole night sky would light up' from the explosion.
    Another interesting thing about the RAMAYANA is this: it describes a bridge being built from India to Lanka.  The monkey-men, led by HANUMAN built this bridge.  If one looks at a space photo of India and Lanka, one can see that there truly was once a bridge (called ADAM'S BRIDGE) that bridged the two countries.  The bridge is now under water.
    I don't believe everything mentioned in THE RAMAYANA actually happened. Was Lord Rama a real Person?  I'm sure He was.  Did a nation of monkey men exist back then? Who knows?  Perhaps!  Would I read the book again? No.

Interesting topic.   May I ask what the Monkey men are?    I presume this is taken from Indian history.   Which I don't know an awful lot about,I'm afraid.    Who was Lord Rama?

Joan
    CW
    CW

Female
    Number of posts : 734
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Post  CW Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Rama, is said to have taken birth on earth to annihilate the evil forces of the age. He is widely believed to be an actual historical figure - a "tribal hero of ancient India". Lord Rama is in human form.

I love and respect the teachings of Bhagavad Gita regarding the battle of good and evil.

Love to all...
    CW
    CW

Female

Post  CW Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:33 pm

kardecian wrote:I just finished reading THE RAMAYANA by Valmiki.  The author of this translation was Purnaprajna Dasa.  I found the book.... interesting.  I had a tough time getting through it though.  To me it read like the Old Testament (which I've never been a big fan).  The customs in the Ramayana are not easy to understand; for instance, the act of suicide by throwing oneself into a sacrificial fire is beyond my comprehension.
    I don't believe everything mentioned in THE RAMAYANA actually happened. Was Lord Rama a real Person?  I'm sure He was.  Did a nation of monkey men exist back then? I do believe the book is referring to the savage men. Those who only knew how to kill and destroy. Who knows?  Perhaps!  Would I read the book again? No.
    kardecian
    kardecian

Male

Post  kardecian Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:24 am

Joan, The monkey men were a race of monkeys.  The hero of Ramayana was Hanuman, who was a monkey man.  Hanuman's father was the god of air.  It's interesting: in the Vedic Scriptures, such as Ramayana, the Krishna book, Mahabharata, etc. it's taught that God descends (appears) whenever religious principles are waning.  He comes to destroy the demons, and to protect His devotees.  When God descends, His eternal associates appear with Him (as devotees).  In the Ramayana, many of the heavenly citizens descended as monkeys, bears, etc.  It sounds wild, I know.  And it truly is wild. But it's all written to show religious principles, whether one believes it literally happened, or whether one believes it's all allegory.
    I personally believe that Lord Ramachandra (Chandra is the god of the moon, and Rama is associated with the moon, thus He's named Rama-Chandra) truly did exist.  The monkey-men?  Yes, I think they existed too.
    SpiritVoices wrote:

Interesting topic.   May I ask what the Monkey men are?    I presume this is taken from Indian history.   Which I don't know an awful lot about,I'm afraid.    Who was Lord Rama?

Joan
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:32 am

CW wrote:Rama, is said to have taken birth on earth to annihilate the evil forces of the age. He is widely believed to be an actual historical figure - a "tribal hero of ancient India". Lord Rama is in human form.

I love and respect the teachings of Bhagavad Gita regarding the battle of good and evil.

Love to all...

I see,CW.    I have delved into the Indian history before,didn't realise how interesting it all was.  Thank you....:asmile:
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:43 am

t

Throwing oneself into into the fire?   Didn't that happen with some of the Tibetan monks or simuliar a while back?    I seem to remember reading something like that.   Interesting account and book,by the sound of it,    Why wouldn't you read it again?   Though I have my favourite reading books.
    Well thumbed and pages tatty from pages constantly turned over.
    I know you,don't I?.....:giggles:

Joan

kardecian
    kardecian

Male

Post  kardecian Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:51 pm

SpiritVoices wrote:t

Throwing oneself into into the fire?   Didn't that happen with some of the Tibetan monks or simuliar a while back?    I seem to remember reading something like that.   Interesting account and book,by the sound of it,    Why wouldn't you read it again?   Though I have my favourite reading books.
    Well thumbed and pages tatty from pages constantly turned over.
    I know you,don't I?.....:giggles:

Joan

Hi Joan,
    Yes, Buddhists have been known to throw themselves in fire also. It's a type of protest.  I'm against this sort of thing, as from the Spirtist books I've learned that suicide is a grave sin, and one is severely punished for commiting suicide.
    I wouldn't read the book again, because the battle scenes were long and drawn out.  Page after page of Sanskrit names and descriptions of battle.  It got confusing. One of my goals in life was to read (and finish) the book, and I did!
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:20 pm

I can understand what you are saying,Mike.   I just finished reading a book about a haunting,excellent story but oh boy....did the author drag it out?

I find sometimes in books I have read that the point of the story wavers.   It is nice to read descriptions of countryside and sea and beach but I do hate it when the book turns out to be like a travel guide....rather than sticking to the story....and here I am doing the same...:blush:
    CW
    CW

Female

Post  CW Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:52 pm

Joan, The monkey men were a race of monkeys.  The hero of Ramayana was Hanuman, who was a monkey man.  Hanuman's father was the god of air.  It's interesting: in the Vedic Scriptures, such as Ramayana, the Krishna book, Mahabharata, etc. it's taught that God descends (appears) whenever religious principles are waning.  He comes to destroy the demons, and to protect His devotees.  When God descends, His eternal associates appear with Him (as devotees).  In the Ramayana, many of the heavenly citizens descended as monkeys, bears, etc.  It sounds wild, I know.  And it truly is wild. But it's all written to show religious principles, whether one believes it literally happened, or whether one believes it's all allegory.
    I personally believe that Lord Ramachandra (Chandra is the god of the moon, and Rama is associated with the moon, thus He's named Rama-Chandra) truly did exist.  The monkey-men?  Yes, I think they existed too

Thanks Kardecian, I can understand how a monkey can be a serious threat against men. They are strong, their teeth are like weapons and they carry some diseases that are potentially fatal to humans. However, because of certain words used within the Bhagavad Gita such as Arjuna, which translates to - men. I visioned this army of monkey men to be what was considered savage,unintelligent men not actual monkeys.  

Love to all...
    kardecian
    kardecian

Male

Post  kardecian Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:41 pm

CW wrote:
    I personally believe that Lord Ramachandra (Chandra is the god of the moon, and Rama is associated with the moon, thus He's named Rama-Chandra) truly did exist.  The monkey-men?  Yes, I think they existed too

Thanks Kardecian, I can understand how a monkey can be a serious threat against men. They are strong, their teeth are like weapons and they carry some diseases that are potentially fatal to humans. However, because of certain words used within the Bhagavad Gita such as Arjuna, which translates to - men. I visioned this army of monkey men to be what was considered savage,unintelligent men not actual monkeys.  

Love to all...

I think you are correct.  It was some sort of race of savage men.  They called them 'monkeys' in the Ramayana, but they talked.  They were definitely not monkeys, as we think of monekeys.
    CW
    CW

Female

Post  CW Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:46 pm

What I love most about the Bhagavad Gita is that it ads one with self realization by reveling the spiritual principals that are essential to maintaining our eternal existence.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:20 pm

You have both lost me now......will just read.....:giggles:
    CW
    CW

Female

Post  CW Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:02 pm

Hay SV if you have never glanced at the Gita here is a link for you.

The Bhagavad Gita AS IT IS: http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/Gita/verse-01-01.html

It begins like a fairy tale but each chapter reveals a deeper look of how being in control of ones self, combined with the power of spiritual principals, if practiced will change and empower your life. 

Love to all....
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:45 pm

CW wrote:Hay SV if you have never glanced at the Gita here is a link for you.

The Bhagavad Gita AS IT IS: http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/Gita/verse-01-01.html

It begins like a fairy tale but each chapter reveals a deeper look of how being in control of ones self, combined with the power of spiritual principals, if practiced will change and empower your life. 

Love to all....

Now I have an idea,CW.   That's better....:blush:
    eyeopen
    eyeopen

Number of posts : 1380
    Registration date : 2012-04-03

Post  eyeopen Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi I havnt read all the topic but I do have a channel number 784, at 8 o clock it shows with subs in sanskrit even I have to read subs lol, the story of ram being born, I dont go 100% on whats on tv, books anything anywhere, but yeh it does show the basic story of his life, im back and need to catch up so not sure where it is now, also, Mahabarat is on soon, which is the great battle of bad and good, with which krishna came and was apart of.

It has alot of hidden meanings, and well you need to udnerstand its a way of teaching in such a way that people can understand even those who erent spiritual. But those who are can understand more.

Post  Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:33 pm

An epic battle of the ages
    eyeopen
    eyeopen

Number of posts : 1380
    Registration date : 2012-04-03

Post  eyeopen Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:01 pm

Rama was a incarnation of Lord Vishnu who also was Lord Krishna.

Hanuman is known as Hanuman Dada Dada meaning grandad in india.

Chandra Ma, Ma meaning mum is known as the Moon God I dont think he has anything to do with Rama.

Ramas wife was also Sita, who was a incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi, the Goddess of wealth and prosperity. Also Vishnus consort. They always incarnated together, this way God can show us how to live, as humans.

In these times and specially, Mahabarat as well as Ramayana, alot of God ascended to help, we have demi Gods too, etc, they all help and work together. There also Gods in heaven and a King of Heaven Called Indra.

In Hindusim the Main God is split into several so it makes it easier to worship the rite one depending on your request and also so if people didnt relate to one they would relate to another etc.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:25 pm