Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
kardecian
SpiritVoices
6 posters

The Funeral Parlor!

SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

The Funeral Parlor! Empty The Funeral Parlor!

Post  SpiritVoices Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:46 pm

Don't despair,this topic sees the funny side of a funeral directors life.

I can't remember whether I've ever placed this story on here before but here goes.

It was a program on television about a family who ran their own funeral home.    There was mum,dad and young daughter involved in the family business.    Mind,daughter was only 16 years old.
    Mind,she was hard!   

They did the usual duties of laying out and embalming.

The point of this topic is this.     The owner of the business was clairvoyant.    He was asked if he ever saw any of his 'clients'  in the spirit form while still in the parlour.

Quite surprisingly,he said 'yes'.

Working on an old gentleman he had known in life,he finished his work,turned his back and proceeded to carry on with something else.

He turned round and there was his old friend.      Sitting on the table,looking very much alive.  Swinging his legs.    The old man raised his hand at the director.   Then disappeared....

Just to cheer you all up.....

:rofl: 

Joan xx

Last edited by SpiritVoices on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed word)
    kardecian
    kardecian

Male
    Number of posts : 249
    Job/hobbies : Funeral Service
    Registration date : 2013-06-20

The Funeral Parlor! Empty Re: The Funeral Parlor!

Post  kardecian Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:27 pm

That sounds like an interesting program. Can you remember the name of the program?
    SpiritVoices wrote:Don't despair,this topic sees the funny side of a funeral directors life.

I can't remember whether I've ever placed this story on here before but here goes.

It was a program on television about a family who ran their own funeral home.    There was mum,dad and young daughter involved in the family business.    Mind,daughter was only 16 years old.
    Mind,she was hard!   

They did the usual duties of laying out and embalming.

The point of this topic is this.     The owner of the business was clairvoyant.    He was asked if he ever saw any of his 'clients'  in the spirit form while still in the parlour.

Quite surprisingly,he said 'yes'.

Working on an old gentleman he had known in life,he finished his work,turned his back and proceeded to carry on with something else.

He turned round and there was his old friend.      Sitting on the table,looking very much alive.  Swinging his legs.    The old man raised his hand at the director.   Then disappeared....

Just to cheer you all up.....

:rofl: 

Joan xx
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:42 pm

Quite a while since I saw that,Mike. 
    It was a documentry about a real family.
    I think it was on British television about a year or two years ago.
    Not sure but could be BB1 or BBC2.

Very interesting program. Not morbid at all.   Straight forward account,quite serious but had it's moments of comedy.
    Can't remember all of it now.....Look for it if you can.
    Cassy7
    Cassy7

Female
    Number of posts : 369
    Job/hobbies : Retired. I love walking my dogs by the sea, gardening and researching my family tree.
    Registration date : 2013-07-12

Post  Cassy7 Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:42 am

Last year my Godmother passed over.  Her daughter Elisabeth and my sister went to arrange her funeral and were discussing whether to have a mahogany or an oak coffin - there were samples of the two woods.  Elisabeth said "I think I like the mahogany" and at that moment a very loud cracking sound came from the sample of the mahogany - so loud the funeral director jumped.  Elisabeth immediately got the message and said "I think Mom wants the oak!".  The funeral director said "well we've never had that happen before!".  Makes me wonder what other things they've had happen though - I think funeral directors must have a story or two to tell.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Ask Kardecian here on topic.......:giggles: 
    Hubby shamed me when we went to prebook our funeral.
    She asked what kind of coffin we wanted.    He said without a smile on his face.....'cardboard please'!

Couldn't get out of the place quickly enough....:blush:
    Cassy7
    Cassy7

Female
    Job/hobbies : Retired. I love walking my dogs by the sea, gardening and researching my family tree.

Post  Cassy7 Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:18 pm

SpiritVoices wrote:Ask Kardecian here on topic.......:giggles: 
    Hubby shamed me when we went to prebook our funeral.
    She asked what kind of coffin we wanted.    He said without a smile on his face.....'cardboard please'!

Couldn't get out of the place quickly enough....:blush:
    Sounds like he had the same sense of humour as my Dad!  When my Grandfather died the funeral director asked my Dad if there was a particular route that Granddad would have liked the funeral cars to go.  Dad replied "yes, to the pub!"
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:18 pm

Always the men who show us up,isn't it??????:blush: 
    There's us females looking at the pictures of expensive coffins....(makes a good impression....:grin: )

Considering we won't be in them....I'll be standing right behind my family,listening to what they say about me...:faint:
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:56 pm

I'm sorry for your losses, but what fantastic stories thank you for sharing.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:17 am

I feel sometimes that we have to see the light hearted part of funerals.
    After all as we know death is not the end.  Imagine the 'deceased' person standing there wondering what all the fuss and grieving is about.

He or she is still living....without a physical body but on their way to a far better life than we have here.
    Cassy7
    Cassy7

Female

Post  Cassy7 Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:15 am

SpiritVoices wrote:I feel sometimes that we have to see the light hearted part of funerals.
    After all as we know death is not the end.  Imagine the 'deceased' person standing there wondering what all the fuss and grieving is about.

He or she is still living....without a physical body but on their way to a far better life than we have here.
    Yes - a while after my Aunty died a medium gave me wonderful messages from her, one being that she knew I had placed a flower on her coffin.  No-one knew about that except me because I was the last one to leave the grave, I'm sure my Aunty was there with me.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:53 pm

I try and visualise the scene through my own eyes.   Say I have passed over and find myself standing beside my relatives and friends in the Crem.....because I will be cremated.   

Or sitting beside them on seats.    Now there may be some folks there who would be able to 'see' me.      I would give them a little wave hoping they wouldn't pass out on the spot....:giggles: 

I am taking a light hearted view on this even though physical death comes to us all.   Hope I am not offending anyone.   

Joan x
    Cassy7
    Cassy7

Female

Post  Cassy7 Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:06 pm

SpiritVoices wrote:I try and visualise the scene through my own eyes.   Say I have passed over and find myself standing beside my relatives and friends in the Crem.....because I will be cremated.   

Or sitting beside them on seats.    Now there may be some folks there who would be able to 'see' me.      I would give them a little wave hoping they wouldn't pass out on the spot....:giggles: 

I am taking a light hearted view on this even though physical death comes to us all.   Hope I am not offending anyone.   

Joan x
    Certainly not offending me Joan!  I find it comforting to know that the person who has passed over is still around.  A friend of mine who attended my mother's funeral is clairvoyant and told us that Mom and Dad (who passed over a few years before) were standing admiring the flowers!:love: 
    kardecian
    kardecian

Male

Post  kardecian Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:48 pm

Joan,
    I plan on being buried in up in Woodland, Washington.  It's a country cemetery, and an old one (by US standards!) Many of our family is up there, including all of my grandparents.  Nothing fancy though... just a pine box and no embalming (a barbaric thing, embalming is.)

SpiritVoices wrote:I try and visualise the scene through my own eyes.   Say I have passed over and find myself standing beside my relatives and friends in the Crem.....because I will be cremated.   

Joan x
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:19 pm

I can imagine it,Mike.    Something I cannot abide.     Cremation too.     I know it is the thing to do these days.    But to be honest,I don't know which is worse.
    Cremation or burial.
    kardecian
    kardecian

Male

Post  kardecian Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:41 pm

I suppose it's a morbid subject, but one that will have to be decided for us some day.
    SpiritVoices wrote:I can imagine it,Mike.    Something I cannot abide.     Cremation too.     I know it is the thing to do these days.    But to be honest,I don't know which is worse.
    Cremation or burial.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:45 pm

Talking about funerals and I am not being disrespectable.

I remember on another site,long dead and gone now.

We were discussing funerals and asking the other members what they would prefer in the way of their funeral.

Laughed our heads off when one member said he was working as a dustbin man.....so he was going to arrange his funeral as such:-

To buy a brand new dustbin,line it with the best material he could find.
    Velvet,I think he said.....He wanted to be cremated and his ashes wrapped in a blue rubbish bag and stored neatly in the posh rubbish bin.....
    A van was to be booked with windows in it and blue satin curtains at the windows.  The bin had to be placed carefully in the middle of the van. Flowers to cover the bin.....bless his heart!

Post  Guest Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:47 pm

I hate talking about this....

but...........im going to build my final resting place...that or mummified...
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:10 pm

That would be nice.     To make your own resting place.

That would be a personal gift to yourself.
    becklyn37
    becklyn37

Female
    Number of posts : 76
    Job/hobbies : Nurse/Mom
    Registration date : 2013-08-15

Post  becklyn37 Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:29 am

I always wanted to be a forensic pathologist, thought it would be fascinating to discover cause of death in suspicious circumstances.  A little off topic I know...

I also want to be cremated, just can't stand the thought of being stuck in the ground.  

Another thought that comes to mind, does anyone else find the open casket practice a bit morbid?  I have always wondered why people would want to see their loved ones lifeless bodies. Maybe it has to do with closure, but I would rather see photos and such.  

I can remember my great grandfather's funeral, I was very young, no older than four.  But I have always remembered standing there watching everyone cry and just being so sad, and I was thinking to myself, "what's the big deal, they'll see him again soon enough" .  I remember thinking about reincarnation at that young age, like I knew he would be returning to us.  Of course, I didn't know it was called reincarnation, and my family certainly didn't talk about such things, they were Southern Baptists.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:14 pm

The first person I ever saw was my grandfather.    
    I was 16 years old.     In those days relatives were laid out in the family home.  Curtains drawn,etc.

He was laid out in the front room.   Funeral was that day.   
    My uncle who I learned was a medium many years later,encouraged me to go into the room and give my grandfather a kiss on the forehead!
    No way did I want to enter that room.

My father came by and told my uncle...'Do not push her if she doesn't want to go in there!'.     I was so relieved....

But I saw my grandmother lying there in her coffin.
    She was a very petite lady and was a little small for the coffin,bless her.     A cushion had been arranged at the bottom where her feet were.    She looked so fragile and tiny.    
    I had no fear of kissing her.    By that time I was starting to believe in a spirit world.     I just knew she wasn't there....
    frisky fox

Number of posts : 1044
    Registration date : 2013-08-25

Post  frisky fox Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:02 am

Voices, I just re-read your opening post

I didn't realize you were talking about a tv program, I thought it was a real experience ! That must have been quite a tv show !
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:50 am

Very interesting program.   It takes the fear from death and shows how caring funeral directors are.......

Always respect shown to the dead....

I always remember going to see my husband after he passed over.
    Being a spiritualist,to me he was gone from the physical shell he had occupied here on earth.
    But I felt him close beside me as I stroked his cheek.

:hugz:
    frisky fox

Number of posts : 1044
    Registration date : 2013-08-25

Post  frisky fox Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:57 am

good to have caring ones

:hugz: Voices, nice that you felt your husband near
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:01 am

frisky fox wrote:good to have caring ones

:hugz: Voices, nice that you felt your husband near
    Thank you,frisky fox......:hugz:
    kardecian
    kardecian

Male

Post  kardecian Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:04 pm

I don't find the open casket funeral as morbid.  Sometimes people have to see their loved one in order for the reality of death to sink in. 
    Physical death is a reality. The body has to be dealt with.  And it should be dealt with respectfully.  I think that viewing the body is a respectful way of saying "Goodbye for now. I'll be seeing you again soon."

becklyn37 wrote:I always wanted to be a forensic pathologist, thought it would be fascinating to discover cause of death in suspicious circumstances.  A little off topic I know...

I also want to be cremated, just can't stand the thought of being stuck in the ground.  

Another thought that comes to mind, does anyone else find the open casket practice a bit morbid?  I have always wondered why people would want to see their loved ones lifeless bodies. Maybe it has to do with closure, but I would rather see photos and such.  

I can remember my great grandfather's funeral, I was very young, no older than four.  But I have always remembered standing there watching everyone cry and just being so sad, and I was thinking to myself, "what's the big deal, they'll see him again soon enough" .  I remember thinking about reincarnation at that young age, like I knew he would be returning to us.  Of course, I didn't know it was called reincarnation, and my family certainly didn't talk about such things, they were Southern Baptists.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:00 am