Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Spiritualist Church in the USA

kardecian
    kardecian

Male
    Number of posts : 249
    Job/hobbies : Funeral Service
    Registration date : 2013-06-20

Spiritualist Church in the USA Empty Spiritualist Church in the USA

Post  kardecian Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:22 am

My grandparents (Mom's side and also Dad's side) were Spiritualists.  We have a few Spiritualists in our family still, but the vast majority of my family are now Fundamentalists of one sort or another. 
    I've been a Spiritualist most of my life. I chose this path when I left home.  I've flirted with Hinduism, visited other churches, but always come back to Spiritualism/Spiritism (I see little difference between Spiritualism and Spiritism).
    Anyways, I've noticed that the Spiritualist churches in the Pacific Northwest seem to be dying out.  There's an exception (the Alice Street Church in Portland, OR).  But, the Alice Street Church is affiliated with the SNU, or the main group found in the UK).  The SNU is has a different approach to Spiritualism than the "Christian Spiritualists" one finds here and there in the USA.
    I've associated with two Spiritualist Churches in my life: Camp New Era in Canby, OR and a small church in SE Portland called Spirit Guided Friends Church. Both are Christian Spiritualist Churches.
    But, since I've been visiting off and on since the early '80s I've seen both of these churches shrinking, and becoming less active.  One group is so 'closed' to outsiders that's it's nearly impossible to get involved. One can't become a member, but one can be a 'friend' of the church.  The other church has split over leadership, has closed down their website, and doesn't even maintain a phone any longer. 
    It's sad.  Little by little, Christian Spiritualism seems to be dying out in my area of the world. And it's my fault for being luke-warm, just as it's the fault of other Spiritualist who have been luke-warm. 
    I've recently decided to get involved again. I'm requesting that I have off Sundays so I can attend church again.  I've decided to actually become a member of the Church in SE, and not just visit when it's convenient.  I've decided to be more generous with my funds, to help support the church. And I've sent in my application and tuition to the Morris Pratt School of Spiritualism, so I can be ordained as a Spiritualist Pastor (because, honestly in the not-too-distant future there will be no ordained Spiritualists in my area).
    I think that Spiritualism is too important. I can't stand to see it dying, little by little.
    If I can make a difference, I'm going to do so.
    What are your thoughts on this?  Do you think this is a losing battle?  Do you think it's really important?  Do you think I'm wasting my time?  Please, advise me on this.
    mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Spiritualist Church in the USA Empty Re: Spiritualist Church in the USA

Post  mac Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:34 pm

kardecian wrote:My grandparents (Mom's side and also Dad's side) were Spiritualists.  We have a few Spiritualists in our family still, but the vast majority of my family are now Fundamentalists of one sort or another. 
    I've been a Spiritualist most of my life. I chose this path when I left home.  I've flirted with Hinduism, visited other churches, but always come back to Spiritualism/Spiritism (I see little difference between Spiritualism and Spiritism).
    Anyways, I've noticed that the Spiritualist churches in the Pacific Northwest seem to be dying out.  There's an exception (the Alice Street Church in Portland, OR).  But, the Alice Street Church is affiliated with the SNU, or the main group found in the UK).  The SNU is has a different approach to Spiritualism than the "Christian Spiritualists" one finds here and there in the USA.
    I've associated with two Spiritualist Churches in my life: Camp New Era in Canby, OR and a small church in SE Portland called Spirit Guided Friends Church. Both are Christian Spiritualist Churches.
    But, since I've been visiting off and on since the early '80s I've seen both of these churches shrinking, and becoming less active.  One group is so 'closed' to outsiders that's it's nearly impossible to get involved. One can't become a member, but one can be a 'friend' of the church.  The other church has split over leadership, has closed down their website, and doesn't even maintain a phone any longer. 
    It's sad.  Little by little, Christian Spiritualism seems to be dying out in my area of the world. And it's my fault for being luke-warm, just as it's the fault of other Spiritualist who have been luke-warm. 
    I've recently decided to get involved again. I'm requesting that I have off Sundays so I can attend church again.  I've decided to actually become a member of the Church in SE, and not just visit when it's convenient.  I've decided to be more generous with my funds, to help support the church. And I've sent in my application and tuition to the Morris Pratt School of Spiritualism, so I can be ordained as a Spiritualist Pastor (because, honestly in the not-too-distant future there will be no ordained Spiritualists in my area).
    I think that Spiritualism is too important. I can't stand to see it dying, little by little.
    What are your thoughts on this?  Do you think this is a losing battle?  Do you think it's really important?  Do you think I'm wasting my time?  Please, advise me on this.
    I don't offer advice unless I'm confident I know the answers but I am happy to offer my thoughts from one Spiritualist to a fellow (Christian) Spiritualist. 

I admire your sentiments concerning our ailing religions and your concerns about the church structure over here in the USA.  It's perhaps not as bad in the UK although Spiritualism has been in decline there for some time.

I admire your preparedness to invest your effort, time and cash into your chosen church.  You asked if it's it important; you asked if you are wasting your time and if it's a losing battle.  Of course it's important to you but who knows if it's important to others and only time will tell concerning the other two points. If things don't work out at least you'll have the satisfaction that you gave them a shot. 

But I'm sure you'll know that to achieve your goals will need lots of time, hard work and others to support you.  Perhaps the biggest problem will be that Christian Spiritualism simply has no appeal for mainstream religious America.  The UK doesn't seem that different either. 

Movements develop when there is shared interest among individuals and where those individuals are motivated and/or self-motivated.  It's how churches developed.  You are self-motivated but the first problem may be where and how to find others of like mind in sufficient numbers.  You already know me and even this dedicated Modern Spiritualist is not a fan of Christian Spiritualist values and I'm sure it' would be a hard sell to Americans brought up on mainstream religious conditioning. 

Thirty years ago I entered the arena of Spiritualism with high hopes and expectations but since that time the fortunes of my movement have steadily declined, seen in falling church and center congregations and reflected in the near-demise of long-established flagship publication 'Psychic News', once considered the mouthpiece for Spiritualism.  Even online interest in Spiritualism has declined over the past ten years, interest in evidential mediumship being replaced by psychism and phenomenalism.  I have grave doubts that loss of interest can be reversed although I'd be delighted to be wrong!

We have the philosophy, we have the teachings, but reputable evidential mediums are needed to demonstrate the message of survival.  Without them Spiritualism - plain vanilla or Christian - is just another religion.  So where are our mediums?

They're just a few thoughts and I hope they don't put you off; I wish you good fortune with your plans. 
    GypsyDream
    GypsyDream

Female
    Number of posts : 158
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Spiritualist Church in the USA Empty Hello, Kardecian

Post  GypsyDream Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:20 am

Hello, Kardecian. Your name is so unusual, and it reminds of a time when I was so eager to read some of Allan Kardec's works, to find answers to some of my questions about life. I live in a much more rural part of the same state you live in, and I had no hope of meeting anyone who even had any knowledge of who Kardec is.
    For a long time I've been fascinated with Brazil, with its continuing respect for spiritualism. But I always figured I'd have to go to Brazil to find anyone who has a deep feeling for Spiritualist mysteries.
    I'm glad you mentioned the church up in Portland, and I may go there sometime.
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    kardecian
    kardecian

Male

Post  kardecian Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:15 am

mac wrote:
    kardecian wrote:My grandparents (Mom's side and also Dad's side) were Spiritualists.  We have a few Spiritualists in our family still, but the vast majority of my family are now Fundamentalists of one sort or another. 
    I don't offer advice unless I'm confident I know the answers but I am happy to offer my thoughts from one Spiritualist to a fellow (Christian) Spiritualist. 

I admire your sentiments concerning our ailing religions and your concerns about the church structure over here in the USA.  It's perhaps not as bad in the UK although Spiritualism has been in decline there for some time.

I admire your preparedness to invest your effort, time and cash into your chosen church.  You asked if it's it important; you asked if you are wasting your time and if it's a losing battle.  Of course it's important to you but who knows if it's important to others and only time will tell concerning the other two points. If things don't work out at least you'll have the satisfaction that you gave them a shot. 

But I'm sure you'll know that to achieve your goals will need lots of time, hard work and others to support you.  Perhaps the biggest problem will be that Christian Spiritualism simply has no appeal for mainstream religious America.  The UK doesn't seem that different either. 

Movements develop when there is shared interest among individuals and where those individuals are motivated and/or self-motivated.  It's how churches developed.  You are self-motivated but the first problem may be where and how to find others of like mind in sufficient numbers.  You already know me and even this dedicated Modern Spiritualist is not a fan of Christian Spiritualist values and I'm sure it' would be a hard sell to Americans brought up on mainstream religious conditioning. 

Thirty years ago I entered the arena of Spiritualism with high hopes and expectations but since that time the fortunes of my movement have steadily declined, seen in falling church and center congregations and reflected in the near-demise of long-established flagship publication 'Psychic News', once considered the mouthpiece for Spiritualism.  Even online interest in Spiritualism has declined over the past ten years, interest in evidential mediumship being replaced by psychism and phenomenalism.  I have grave doubts that loss of interest can be reversed although I'd be delighted to be wrong!

We have the philosophy, we have the teachings, but reputable evidential mediums are needed to demonstrate the message of survival.  Without them Spiritualism - plain vanilla or Christian - is just another religion.  So where are our mediums?

They're just a few thoughts and I hope they don't put you off; I wish you good fortune with your plans. 

Hi Mac,
    Thank you for your thoughts and insight.  I think you are spot-on with your thoughts and observations, especially when you said "Movements develop when there is shared interest among individuals and where those individuals are motivated and/or self-motivated.  It's how churches developed.  You are self-motivated but the first problem may be where and how to find others of like mind in sufficient numbers.  You already know me and even this dedicated Modern Spiritualist is not a fan of Christian Spiritualist values and I'm sure it' would be a hard sell to Americans brought up on mainstream religious conditioning."  It IS a problem finding like-minded people.  IMO seems a lot of people believe in the basic ideas of Spiritualism, even when they've never heard the term "Spiritualist." But, to get people involved, even when they are believers, is a big obstacle.
    I also agree that good mediums are hard to find (if not nearly impossible). 
    kardecian
    kardecian

Male

Post  kardecian Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:17 am

GypsyDream wrote:Hello, Kardecian. Your name is so unusual, and it reminds of a time when I was so eager to read some of Allan Kardec's works, to find answers to some of my questions about life. I live in a much more rural part of the same state you live in, and I had no hope of meeting anyone who even had any knowledge of who Kardec is.
    For a long time I've been fascinated with Brazil, with its continuing respect for spiritualism. But I always figured I'd have to go to Brazil to find anyone who has a deep feeling for Spiritualist mysteries.
    I'm glad you mentioned the church up in Portland, and I may go there sometime.

Hey GypsyDream!  Message me and tell me more about yourself!  It IS hard to find others with this interest!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:22 am