Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Low-Fi Version?

Low-Fi Version? Empty Low-Fi Version?

Post  Guest Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:37 am

Quick question / suggestion - Is there a way of turning off the Snowflake effect and/or the Animated banners?

I like them, but they send my CPU usage through the roof (90%+ CPU usage with the snowflakes, and even now with them stopped (as happens when making a post), the rotating banner causes a 40% spike each time the animation cycles.

Are the effects Java-based by any chance? If there's no way to change the viewing template, I might be able to block the applets locally.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Low-Fi Version? Empty Re: Low-Fi Version?

Post  Violet Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:52 am

Hi Dilettante, yeah the snowflakes will be going soon they're just a temporary thing for the holidays, I always leave them up longer as I like them.

The scrolling things i'd prefer to stay as it's part of the forum (they can be turned off) but if they are bugging members I may have to think about doing that.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  mac Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:56 am

You'll perhaps recall that I don't like the animations either but they don't actually cause technical problems on my computer. But it would be oh so nice to have the option of setting the operating conditions although over time I've grown accustomed to ignoring (as best I can) the annoyance it causes.

Post  Guest Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:06 pm

Violet wrote:Hi Dilettante, yeah the snowflakes will be going soon they're just a temporary thing for the holidays, I always leave them up longer as I like them.

The scrolling things i'd prefer to stay as it's part of the forum (they can be turned off) but if they are bugging members I may have to think about doing that.

Righto - For me, the snowflakes are the main issue, so if they're going soon then I think it's problem solved. :)
    mac

Male

Post  mac Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:42 pm

Dilettante wrote:
    Violet wrote:Hi Dilettante, yeah the snowflakes will be going soon they're just a temporary thing for the holidays, I always leave them up longer as I like them.

Righto - For me, the snowflakes are the main issue, so if they're going soon then I think it's problem solved. :)

Good you're sorted. I find all the moving stuff a big annoyance, animated emoticons included, and most avatars get the chop in my browser and any other silly pictures I find elsewhere. No frills with, or for, mac!
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:30 pm

Mac you can disable the smilies, go into your profile and look under 'preferences.'

mac

Male

Post  mac Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:34 pm

Violet wrote:Mac you can disable the smilies, go into your profile and look under 'preferences.'

thanks, I'll do that.

I can disable the scrolling banner too but that in turn disables some of the buttons and when I did it once before I found myself unable to edit 'cos I could no longer see the button! That took quite an effort to resolve so I've left things alone since then. ooopsLow-Fi Version? 160943
    mac

Male

Post  mac Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:36 pm

up late again, Violet....
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:41 pm

Yeah, I am most nights Low-Fi Version? 809779 a dirty stop up, are the scrolling things at the top any better? I slowed them down.

mac

Male

Post  mac Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:46 pm

Violet wrote:Yeah, I am most nights Low-Fi Version? 809779 a dirty stop up, are the scrolling things at the top any better? I slowed them down.

YES! thank you - markedly better! Low-Fi Version? 348985 I don't know when you did it but I probably wouldn't have noticed anyway as I keep away from the scrolling banner as much as I can and look away as much as possible if I have to use the Home page.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:04 am

Violet wrote:Mac you can disable the smilies, go into your profile and look under 'preferences.'

Just tried it twice, V, but it doesn't stop them appearing in the body of a posting or at the left side of a page....
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:01 pm

Perhaps it just prevents you from using them, did you try clicking on one?

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:03 pm

Hi Mac, please respond to this post and check it out, click on the box just below the reply box which says 'toggle smilies panel' which is what i've just done and there isn't a smilie to be seen anywhere.

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Thing is you'd need to click it with each reply, but it could be handy for longer posts

mac

Male

Post  mac Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:40 pm

Violet wrote:Perhaps it just prevents you from using them, did you try clicking on one?

No I just assumed they'd disappear from view - I'll try using one now. Low-Fi Version? 182340 Well that worked even though I'd set it to disable in Preferences
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Violet wrote:Hi Mac, please respond to this post and check it out, click on the box just below the reply box which says 'toggle smilies panel' which is what i've just done and there isn't a smilie to be seen anywhere.

Try this

mac

Male

Post  mac Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Violet wrote:Thing is you'd need to click it with each reply, but it could be handy for longer posts

It's a curious website, V, but don't spend any more time. I can live with the emoticons even though I don't use 'em! I do, however, routinely use emoticons on other websites and for email - those are far less fussy and I use 'em to emphasise points or just for greetings.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:44 pm

Violet wrote:
    Violet wrote:Hi Mac, please respond to this post and check it out, click on the box just below the reply box which says 'toggle smilies panel' which is what i've just done and there isn't a smilie to be seen anywhere.

Try this

All I saw was a line of asterisks.....was that what you sent?
    mac

Male

Post  mac Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:45 pm

mac wrote:
    Violet wrote:

Try this

All I saw was a line of asterisks.....was that what you sent?

I can't figure the Toggle Smilies Panel - where do I look?
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:52 pm

Directly beneath the reply box there is a box with 'toggle the smilies panel' written in it, if you can't see that it's possible it's an admin only function which is a shame as it obliterated all the smilies Low-Fi Version? 809779 and would have been perfect for you.

I haven't got a clue what 'toggle' means in a forum, in my olde worlde a toggle is a button on a duffel coat Low-Fi Version? 160943

mac

Male

Post  mac Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:57 am

Violet wrote:Directly beneath the reply box there is a box with 'toggle the smilies panel' written in it, if you can't see that it's possible it's an admin only function which is a shame as it obliterated all the smilies Low-Fi Version? 809779 and would have been perfect for you.

I haven't got a clue what 'toggle' means in a forum, in my olde worlde a toggle is a button on a duffel coat Low-Fi Version? 160943

'toggle' means to move from one state to another - an electrical 'toggle switch' simply switches on or off or from one electrical status to another such as switching from one bass level setting to another on a CD player.

Pity I don't see the smilies toggle as you do - as you say an admin. function - thanks for trying, Violet.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:02 am

Worth a try Low-Fi Version? 809779 yeah it switched from smilies to no smilies, I suppose some admins might see them as a necessary evil and want them off when doing forum work.

mac

Male

Post  mac Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:05 am

Violet wrote:Worth a try Low-Fi Version? 809779 yeah it switched from smilies to no smilies, I suppose some admins might see them as a necessary evil and want them off when doing forum work.

I can block the image of the icon but I'd have to do it with each individual one and I don't have that much enthusiasm or concern! Pity, though, that it's not possible from one's personal Profile panel.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:11 am

That would be a pain doing them all individually, you never know, they might grow on you, or you might just get where you don't notice them any more.

mac

Male

Post  mac Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:16 am

Violet wrote:That would be a pain doing them all individually, you never know, they might grow on you, or you might just get where you don't notice them any more.

I have already grown to ignore them, Violet but I really don't like the selection - I use them infrequently here but extensively elsewhere - they can lighten the mood - some folks get quite upset at times. Low-Fi Version? 28115

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:21 pm