Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Thunder Bow
Crystal
ameliorate
7 posters

Contacting a spirit who had dementia....

ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female
    Number of posts : 3603
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

Contacting a spirit who had dementia.... Empty Contacting a spirit who had dementia....

Post  ameliorate Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:40 pm

This post is to those with the ability to contact someone's spirit shortly after their demise.

My mother had dementia for the last few years of her life.  We saw her character/personality/identity get stripped away until there was just a very faint dilution of who she once was.

On her demise, (last November) being spiritually focused, I was hoping to get some form of contact - to feel/sense her spirit.  However, nothing transpired which is a huge disappointment to me.

What I want to ask is:-
    - do you think her having dementia at the time of her death is a reason for maybe not sensing her spirit at all

- Is there less success in contacting those who had dementia?

She may have made some kind of contact with me but I did not recognise anything as being herself, my mother - as I knew her.
    Crystal
    Crystal

Female
    Number of posts : 1249
    Job/hobbies : Counsellor - Crystals,Tarot, Reiki and animal healing
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

Contacting a spirit who had dementia.... Empty Re: Contacting a spirit who had dementia....

Post  Crystal Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:43 pm

((((((((Amy)))))))  Please do not worry. Dementia as in other illnesses that our loved ones suffer from when they pass does not affect the spirit, it only affects the physical body. Your mother will be well in spirit, but perhaps you worrying about the dementia may mean that you either miss signs, or do not sub-consciously feel that you or anyone else will get a contact?

I have spoken to spirits that suffered from dementia and other mind altering conditions and they are free from those constraints, often using them as proof and confirmation to those left behind.
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Contacting a spirit who had dementia.... Empty Re: Contacting a spirit who had dementia....

Post  ameliorate Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:05 pm

I realise, obviously, that the spirit is free from the constraints of the physical body, once it separates from it.  Thank you for confirming though that such a condition does not affect the spirit in any way. 

I just thought the dissipation of who she was might have been a factor in not being able to sense her when she passed over, that's all really.
    Crystal
    Crystal

Female
    Number of posts : 1249
    Job/hobbies : Counsellor - Crystals,Tarot, Reiki and animal healing
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

Post  Crystal Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:23 pm

It has been such a short time, I wonder whether it is too soon? I would imagine that you are still grieving and sorting out things?
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:33 pm

Crystal wrote:It has been such a short time, I wonder whether it is too soon? I would imagine that you are still grieving and sorting out things?
    I would have thought that, closer to the time of death is when it is more likely for a spirit to make contact, i.e. before they go on their journey.

I am managing relatively well grieving wise since, due to dementia, I feel we lost her years before her actual demise.  This Saturday is her birthday - the first time it occurs without her so it is a more difficult time for me.
    Thunder Bow
    Thunder Bow

Male
    Number of posts : 800
    Job/hobbies : Reactivated
    Registration date : 2013-12-02

Post  Thunder Bow Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:13 pm

One reason may be that the Spirit Would has a different time frame. One second there may = 1 year in this world. Give it some time.
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:46 pm

Thunder Bow wrote:One reason may be that the Spirit Would has a different time frame. One second there may = 1 year in this world. Give it some time.
    Thanks - that possibility hadn't occurred to me.
    skye

Female
    Number of posts : 1256
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

Post  skye Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:24 am

ameliorate wrote:This post is to those with the ability to contact someone's spirit shortly after their demise.

My mother had dementia for the last few years of her life.  We saw her character/personality/identity get stripped away until there was just a very faint dilution of who she once was.

On her demise, (last November) being spiritually focused, I was hoping to get some form of contact - to feel/sense her spirit.  However, nothing transpired which is a huge disappointment to me.

- do you think her having dementia at the time of her death is a reason for maybe not sensing her spirit at all

She may have made some kind of contact with me but I did not recognise anything as being herself, my mother - as I knew her.
    It has been said when we physically die that nothing changes only the environment in which we find ourselves in, and the awareness of having a body which is no longer limited by physical and/or mental disease. However, for some people their earthly limitations may have been long term or had such a profound effect on their personality that a temporary period of rest ( being placed in a hospital type environment) may be required as they will benefit from this rest and this could also help with the awakening to their new surroundings.

A factor which is often overlooked and may be worth considering is a person's free will and their belief in an afterlife. For example, should your mother have had no belief or understanding in life beyond death, it's likely to take 'time' for her to accept she has survived physical death  and can express herself as a spirit being. May I add that during this state she would not be abandoned, she would be watched over by spirits who have chosen to be of service to others in this particular way. 

Time has relevance to mankind for our convenience and is based on the rotation of the earth with its relationship to the sun.  In the realms of spirit their source of light is not the same as ours, therefore there is no day or night. 
    Silver Birch once said "....our measurement of time depends upon our spiritual state, that is, we feel time as in the sense of enjoyment. Time, to us, is a mental experience....

In honesty no one person knows why those whom we love and who now live in the spirit realms may choose not to contact loved ones - however slight -  on the earth plane. Perhaps it's a case of conditions not being conducive to sensing her at the time. 

Sickness and disease does not in any way affect a spirit communication. as it no longer exists. A person who was ill has as much an opportunity to connect with a medium as a healthy person does. 

Prior to my mothers death, I didn't sense any spirit person around her indicating her time was close, neither have I sensed her spirit since she passed away. With some members of my family I have been fortunate and had prior knowledge of their passing, yet with other members there's been absolutely nothing whatsoever to suggest their time was near.   

As for your own mother, I'm sure she is closer to you now than she could ever have been before. And, her interest in you continues as does her love.  

My thoughts and prayers will be with you on Saturday. 
    mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  mac Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:20 am

I think skye has expressed the situation beautifully; it's exactly how I see things based on what's been taught, what I have learned.

Elsewhere are members on another website in great distress firstly because of the loss of their loved ones and secondly because their expectation of contact by, or signs from, them have not been realised. They are not consoled by attempts to explain the situation their loved ones may now be in and are unable to accept that the love they felt for each other in the physical continues into the etheric dimension(s).  

With such expectations of contact across the dimensions going unmet no relief from their all-consuming grief, sometimes guilt about actions and omissions, appears possible in the shorter term. How it will pan out in the future for them is unclear but reaching out to them in the only way we have isn't working.  I don't have any answers to this.
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:26 am

skye wrote:
    ameliorate wrote:This post is to those with the ability to contact someone's spirit shortly after their demise.

A factor which is often overlooked and may be worth considering is a person's free will and their belief in an afterlife. For example, should your mother have had no belief or understanding in life beyond death, it's likely to take 'time' for her to accept she has survived physical death  and can express herself as a spirit being. May I add that during this state she would not be abandoned, she would be watched over by spirits who have chosen to be of service to others in this particular way. 

skye - thank you for your reply and thoughts.  I hope you don't mind me editing it to address this part of it since it struck a chord.

Although my mother was a Catholic, curiously enough she said she didn't believe in the afterlife - but she said this when she had dementia.  I asked her several different times and the answer was always 'no.'  So the time factor could well be relevant here.

However, no one has picked up on my main point for this thread, notably, that because she had dementia (for the last few years of her life) she just existed on a weak energy DILUTION of the person she wasIt was NOT our mother as we knew her that we saw and this is what concerns me....i.e. is this a reason that I have not felt her spirit because her personality/character was no longer there really for years before her demise.
    Are people who have had dementia harder to contact spirit wise?
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:27 am

mac wrote:I think skye has expressed the situation beautifully; it's exactly how I see things based on what's been taught, what I have learned.

Elsewhere are members on another website in great distress firstly because of the loss of their loved ones and secondly because their expectation of contact by, or signs from, them have not been realised. They are not consoled by attempts to explain the situation their loved ones may now be in and are unable to accept that the love they felt for each other in the physical continues into the etheric dimension(s).  

With such expectations of contact across the dimensions going unmet no relief from their all-consuming grief, sometimes guilt about actions and omissions, appears possible in the shorter term. How it will pan out in the future for them is unclear but reaching out to them in the only way we have isn't working.  I don't have any answers to this.
    Mac - my main point has not yet been addressed.  Please read my previous post.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:57 am

ameliorate wrote:
    mac wrote:I think skye has expressed the situation beautifully; it's exactly how I see things based on what's been taught, what I have learned.

Mac - my main point has not yet been addressed.  Please read my previous post.
    I did read what you wrote and quite deliberately my words were not in response to what you asked....
    mac

Male

Post  mac Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:02 pm

ameliorate wrote:
    skye wrote:

skye - thank you for your reply and thoughts.  I hope you don't mind me editing it to address this part of it since it struck a chord.

Although my mother was a Catholic, curiously enough she said she didn't believe in the afterlife - but she said this when she had dementia.  I asked her several different times and the answer was always 'no.'  So the time factor could well be relevant here.

However, no one has picked up on my main point for this thread, notably, that because she had dementia (for the last few years of her life) she just existed on a weak energy DILUTION of the person she wasIt was NOT our mother as we knew her that we saw and this is what concerns me....i.e. is this a reason that I have not felt her spirit because her personality/character was no longer there really for years before her demise.
    Perhaps just as relevant might be the question whether people who were not sufferers any easier to reach?  In transdimensional communication there doesn't appear to be any single factor assisting, and maybe no single factor hindering, the process. 
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:43 pm

I thought I would share my findings having done a google search (I thought I would ask on this forum first but now felt the need to do such a search).  In case anyone else is in a similar situation then this info may be useful...  It's from this website..

http://www.denalilove.com/FAQ.html

Q: What is the best time frame to wait to try and contact a loved one who has crossed over?
    A: There is no set time for spirits being able to communicate...some take longer than others; some can come through quite clearly within weeks or even days. We used to say 6 months to 1 year, but have discovered that's no longer the rule.  Many are coming through very soon after passing. Those who had a long illness or who had Alzheimers prior to passing can come through right away and communicate very well. In fact, it's even possible to speak with people who are still alive, but are suffering from dementia or Alzheimers, in a coma, or about to make their transition.

Of course I realise this info is just from one source, i.e. I have no way of gauging its accuracy but I found nothing else directly relevant.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:15 pm

The web is a mine of information but even with Google it may need different search terms to locate relevant information - if it's there in the first place. 
    skye

Female

Post  skye Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:01 pm

ameliorate wrote:
    skye wrote:

ameliorate there is no evidence to suggest that because a person had dementia it is harder to contact them after death than it is with those who dod not have dementia. In essence we are Spiritual beings having a human experience, therefore your mother's individual Spirit wasn't affected by a dilution of energy, nor could ever be affected with any form of physical limitations. What you saw and came to know as your mother in the last few years of her life is most definitely not who she is. To me there is no reason why your mother would be harder to contact, so, in my opinion and through my experience of mediumship, no would have to be the answer to your question. 
    That being said a person's state of mind will without doubt have influence on their 'future' actions or behaviour when they find themselves in the afterlife. It's possible this may cause a number of people to question whether or not their loved ones physical and/or mental challenges appear to them to have made it harder to contact them when their time to transition occurred.
    skye

Female

Post  skye Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:24 pm

ameliorate wrote:I thought I would share my findings having done a google search (I thought I would ask on this forum first but now felt the need to do such a search).  In case anyone else is in a similar situation then this info may be useful...  It's from this website..

Q: What is the best time frame to wait to try and contact a loved one who has crossed over?
    A: There is no set time for spirits being able to communicate...some take longer than others; some can come through quite clearly within weeks or even days. We used to say 6 months to 1 year, but have discovered that's no longer the rule.  Many are coming through very soon after passing. Those who had a long illness or who had Alzheimers prior to passing can come through right away and communicate very well. In fact, it's even possible to speak with people who are still alive, but are suffering from dementia or Alzheimers, in a coma, or about to make their transition.

Of course I realise this info is just from one source, i.e. I have no way of gauging its accuracy but I found nothing else directly relevant.
    I have come to realise it doesn't matter how long a person has been in spirit before they make contact with a loved one. Perhaps it is more about their personalty and character as well as having knowledge about the afterlife which makes a difference. Their religious background and culture, etc will have an effect on what they 'think' will happen or their 'expectations' on what happens. Agnostics expect nothing, therefore for a period of 'time' this is what they will experience.

On a personal level I have relatives who have been on the other side for over 40 years and as yet they have not made contact via a medium, or with me sensing them. 

A long while ago I gave a message from a lady who was in hospital with Alzheimers. Her husband was the link to the spirit communication. Apparently she wanted her family to know that she was in contact with her deceased husband and communicating coherently with him, whereas she couldn't do so here with members of her family. She went on to say how much she was grateful to them and how much she loved them all. I imagine this is made possible because we are Spiritual beings rather than physical beings.
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:15 pm

skye wrote:
    ameliorate wrote:I thought I would share my findings having done a google search (I thought I would ask on this forum first but now felt the need to do such a search).  In case anyone else is in a similar situation then this info may be useful...  It's from this website..

I have come to realise it doesn't matter how long a person has been in spirit before they make contact with a loved one. Perhaps it is more about their personalty and character as well as having knowledge about the afterlife which makes a difference. Their religious background and culture, etc will have an effect on what they 'think' will happen or their 'expectations' on what happens. Agnostics expect nothing, therefore for a period of 'time' this is what they will experience.

On a personal level I have relatives who have been on the other side for over 40 years and as yet they have not made contact via a medium, or with me sensing them. 

A long while ago I gave a message from a lady who was in hospital with Alzheimers. Her husband was the link to the spirit communication. Apparently she wanted her family to know that she was in contact with her deceased husband and communicating coherently with him, whereas she couldn't do so here with members of her family. She went on to say how much she was grateful to them and how much she loved them all. I imagine this is made possible because we are Spiritual beings rather than physical beings.
    Thanks for your post.  Your last paragraph echoes the findings of what I posted (in my quote within your post).

I am not concerned with the time length re. making a connection.  My main concern is, as I have said, that there is not much left of the personality at the time of death when the person has had established/prolonged dementia.   Hence, does their spirit not have much of who the person was?  This might explain not having had a recognisable contact from my mother although some posts have indicated it may be too soon (however, this is contradicted by the info I found and shared in my above post  # 14).  Confusing!

I seem to be getting more frustrated/upset with replies that do not fully grasp what I am asking so maybe I should just accept that I will not get a direct answer to this here and let it go.

Thank you all for your posts.  I realise my request is unusual and, probably, outside the common experience of making contact.
    skye

Female

Post  skye Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:16 am

ameliorate wrote:
    skye wrote:

Thanks for your post.  Your last paragraph echoes the findings of what I posted (in my quote within your post).

I am not concerned with the time length re. making a connection.  My main concern is, as I have said, that there is not much left of the personality at the time of death when the person has had established/prolonged dementia.   Hence, does their spirit not have much of who the person was?  This might explain not having had a recognisable contact from my mother although some posts have indicated it may be too soon (however, this is contradicted by the info I found and shared in my above post  # 14).  Confusing!

I seem to be getting more frustrated/upset with replies that do not fully grasp what I am asking so maybe I should just accept that I will not get a direct answer to this here and let it go.

Thank you all for your posts.  I realise my request is unusual and, probably, outside the common experience of making contact.
    I realise your concern is that there was not much left of your mother's personality at the time of her death, however through the practice of mediumship we now know Spirit contains all that she was prior to the diagnosis of dementia.

Your mother's spirit is eternal and will have registered every thought, deed and word experienced since her birth and during the whole of her lifetime. Upon her death, she will have realised why events happened in her life in the way that they did. She will also be aware of having passed via dementia, although she will not dwell on this as it is of no importance other than for the purpose of evidence of her physical death. Each individual Spirit retains their intellect, regardless of how they passed, thereby allowing for an intelligent spirit communication or spirit contact to take place whether this is via mediumship or through personal experience.

I agree your mother will contact you in a way that you would recognise. There may be a sensation of her having dementia but once this is acknowledged her focus will mainly be on how she expressed herself to others before having dementia. 

Perhaps I haven't explained the mechanics of what happens very well for I can understand your feelings of frustration and upset, I feel them myself to some degree, nonetheless I can't think of any other way at this time to explain to you that the spirit of your mother is who she was, and all aspects of her individuality are retained by her Spirit and are restored back to their former condition, immediately after her demise. 
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Number of posts : 1189
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

Post  Blueanchor Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:42 am

I haven't responded Ame, because like everyone else, I would only be able to theorise based on experiences that I might try to relate to yours. And I feel in this situation it is wrong to do that because it's not just a discussion about what might be as it has a personal element.

Mediums don't 'know' and the many claims that they do, in my view are not helpful to people - and I'm getting frustrated just reading people trying to say the right thing and know, rather than just accept that they don't.

I do hope you find your answers Ame, but think maybe they will come with more clarity in the quiet times to yourself.
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:46 am

Blueanchor wrote:I haven't responded Ame, because like everyone else, I would only be able to theorise based on experiences that I might try to relate to yours. And I feel in this situation it is wrong to do that because it's not just a discussion about what might be as it has a personal element.

Mediums don't 'know' and the many claims that they do, in my view are not helpful to people - and I'm getting frustrated just reading people trying to say the right thing and know, rather than just accept that they don't.

I do hope you find your answers Ame, but think maybe they will come with more clarity in the quiet times to yourself.
    Thanks for your appraisal.  Contacting a spirit who had dementia.... Color

I am calmer than I was yesterday and, yes, I am seeing that it is very much a vague/grey area so maybe it was niaive to ask the questions in the first place i.e. to expect hard and fast answers.

I am letting go of the situation now - whatever I am meant to know or sense will become evident in time.
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Post  Blueanchor Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:56 pm

Respected  :bfs: . Have you got any plans for Saturday, to mark your mums birthday?
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:07 pm

Blueanchor wrote:Respected  :bfs: . Have you got any plans for Saturday, to mark your mums birthday?
    I was going to go to her 'grave' (a mausoleum), which would be for the first time since her funeral.  However, it is going to be wet/raining which is not good for my genetic lung condition.

Instead, as a mark of respect, I am allowing myself the indulgence of reading my diary on the years that I was her full time carer.  It's a way of connecting to her more.....
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Post  Blueanchor Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:52 pm

that sounds a good way to do it x
    Lynn
    Lynn

Female
    Number of posts : 1467
    Job/hobbies : Retired - Interests Metaphysics
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Post  Lynn Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:52 pm

Hello

Illness is something connected to the living world that does not follow one when they cross. There are at times as a Medium where that is what will tell me I have the right person with me as that is how they were at their passing.  This is an energy transfer is all how they can show me whom they were and maybe how at times they passed.  When that part is established then the rest is pure contact with whom they truly are so that a message is clearly given.

It is not a nice way to go out in life being well stripped of life as we know it to be but I have to wonder at times if its not in preparations for the next life to come ? That cleansing almost of a new slate to draw from.  As hard as that is for the living to accept that are left behind there is a reason for all events in our passing that happen I feel. 

Do not see her how she was in her passing as she was still herself on the inside.  When you focus on the positive aspects of a person it is easier to make contact.  To pick a memory that is a positive one something that only you and her might know of and focus on that might help bridge the gap some.  There was someone that she had a great love for that went before her, but he does not seem like the man that she spent her life with.  This is whom was there to help her over. Did she ever talk of a childhood friend that passed ? 

If you would like I can try and reach out deeper but on the surface I feel that male presence come to me. 

Lynn

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:32 pm