Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Black and White and Shades of Grey Thinking

Lynn
    Lynn

Female
    Number of posts : 1467
    Job/hobbies : Retired - Interests Metaphysics
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

thinking - Black and White and Shades of Grey Thinking Empty Black and White and Shades of Grey Thinking

Post  Lynn Mon May 10, 2010 11:47 pm

Hello

I thought I would explore this idea of how we think. To me there is no right or wrong way one thinks but much study as been put forth on this but that is not the path of where I take this.

Black and White Thinking……what is it ? What is Shades of Grey ?

We often talk on thinking in Black and White we think of one’s that maybe see things one say and there is no room for more. One might well think life is grand things are just the way they should be or life totally is not good and all things are bad. There is not middle ground. Its cut and dry. This is what is often seen as Black and White in individual personalities .

Where it all starts some say is from early childhood and the very way that children start to formulate words to meanings and to situations. I can give an example from me Son, he ye might say is advanced as he could talk in basic sentences at 6 months of age. He was a very yes or no child there was no maybe, and really when I look at him still is. He would ask “why” non stop and I must say drove me rather nuts, until I realized he needed that YES or NO straight up. He would tell me there was a “man in his room at night” and I would say there is NO ONE there…..but there was but not in the physical form in Spirit. I heard only the word “ man” . When he got older we talked on it more and I realized that in saying it was Spirit not a man to him its is still a “man” as it was a man as he was once a man. That is how Black and White he thinks.

Now some say that its primal thinking but is it as some never move past that. Could it wall be that we are simply wired that way. It is our make up to see things in that way. I have read much in parenting magazines that say its not the way a child should continue to think, now if the child does not change and goes to adulthood with this way of thinking even with all the external stimulus is that not maybe that individuals “normal” ? Is it ok to think only inside the box ?

Is it good as an adult to be very Black and White in thinking ? Some say that it might well lead to one having emotional issues around the feelings of being overwhelmed by them. It might lead to patterns of not being able to make a decision. For them there has to be basis in fact to support something.
    The other end is being Shades of Grey in the way one thinks. When one thinks in Shades of Grey one is very often open to all sides of how things can be seen. Often one is very “maybe” in the way they think. They are often thought of as one’s that think outside the box, and are open to many possibilities.
    Many say it’s a natural progression from childhood to become Shades of Grey in thinking but is it learned ? Or does it naturally happen ?

I have one child that is very much Black and White in thinking and two like me that are Shades of Grey there has been no difference in their paths of learings or surroundings. No difference in parents schedules or in school attended. They are much like me in being able to see all sides of an issue and a problem. Where as the Black and White thinker see’s only ONE way to do some task I might well see several and will choose the one that fits me mood at times best.
    I find it most stimulating to have a conversation with a Black and White thinker as I do not seek to change in how they see things like many I hear do. I too have been told its very frustrating at times understand how one can think in Shades of Grey but the same can go in reverse.

Is there a cut and dried way we think ?
    Is Black and White thinking how we all start out ?
    Is it ok to think only in Black and White and not wonder to Shades of Grey ?
    How do ye see things ?

Lynn

Last edited by Lynn on Mon May 10, 2010 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spacing form Paste)
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

thinking - Black and White and Shades of Grey Thinking Empty Re: Black and White and Shades of Grey Thinking

Post  Violet Tue May 11, 2010 12:08 am

Hi Lynn a great topic!

Is it ok to think only in Black and White and not wonder to Shades of Grey ?
    How do ye see things ?

I think it is all shades of grey, it's just some of those shades can be extremely dark or extremely light, two extremes.
    I think children do see things as very black and white, and perhaps the ability to think in shades comes with maturity and life experience. Parenting which doesn't encourage imo can create black and white thinking which can be hard to shake off later.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:23 pm