Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
zerdini
Beware_of_Italics
gilly
SpiritVoices
mac
Violet
1antique
CW
12 posters

God is going to get you.....

CW
    CW

Female
    Number of posts : 734
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

God is going to get you..... - Page 2 Empty God is going to get you.....

Post  CW Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello forum, I truly need help in this area. It makes my blood boil to hear people speak of God as a condemning punisher who has only anger instead of Love for humans. Especially those who try to convince me that God is some kind of monster that is going to pour out his fierce anger upon me if I don't be good. God is going to get you..... - Page 2 609912. Who are the good ones? Can anyone be good continuously, without cease or error?

Love to all....
    Beware_of_Italics
    Beware_of_Italics

Female
    Number of posts : 363
    Registration date : 2011-03-15

God is going to get you..... - Page 2 Empty Re: God is going to get you.....

Post  Beware_of_Italics Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:48 pm

CW wrote:I certainly hope you expressed your feelings to this couple. The truth of the matter is we can only control one mind and that is our own. Eventually, other minds will break free of attempts to control. Even our children.

Ah, no. I'm keeping it to myself as it's just a blog that I was reading. At first I liked their blog enough to start 'following' it, but then I regretted it once I saw her long list on how perfect she expects her future children to be. It was made very clear that this woman LOVES children and wants to be a mother more than anything, but I do fear for how they'll be raised. I could see good intentions there, but I fear it's over her head that what she plans on doing is not very different from brainwashing.

To each their own, I guess. She's an adult that can live her life however she wishes, but it is frustrating. I only hope her children will break that cycle. And what you said is so true. God gave us a brain of our own, so we should think for ourselves.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:24 pm

1antique wrote:This is the point I was attempting to make in my previous post. This idea has been promulgated throughout the centuries by the church in order to control the populace. It has become so ingrained into the teachings now that people quote it as fact constantly without any thought to the truth. (but, then again, what is the truth)

I'd forgotten this thread
    You're right and it's quite sad imo that god needs to be used as a threat.

Would it be evil if God sent someone to kill another?
    The god I believe in wouldn't do that imo, it is man that kills, not god.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:32 pm

What if that person was about to slaughter an entire family of innocent people?

god would still not intervene imo, why would any god do that, many slaughters have happened in history, god did not stop any of those either, nor will god stop slaughters of the future. Only man can stop these things and he won't ever stop these things, as unfortunate as these things are. god is not responsible for what we do nor does god make anyone do anything, or prevent anyone doing anything no matter how bad that action appears to us, we have free will and personal responsibility.

Resonator
    Resonator

Male
    Number of posts : 358
    Job/hobbies : Recycler
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post  Resonator Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:09 am

Violet wrote:god would still not intervene imo, why would any god do that, many slaughters have happened in history, god did not stop any of those either, nor will god stop slaughters of the future. Only man can stop these things and he won't ever stop these things, as unfortunate as these things are. god is not responsible for what we do nor does god make anyone do anything, or prevent anyone doing anything no matter how bad that action appears to us, we have free will and personal responsibility.

Well said Violet.

The thing is, if we look at the above with a spiritual need to understand, I think the only conclusion one can draw is that free will is God's gift to humanity, and he so loves us that he let's us do whatever we want - though we suffer the consequence, and that consequence is the Realization (or, conversely, the atrophy) of our soul. This demonstrates how there are natural values of right and wrong, sewn into the very fabric of this universe.

...and I hope I haven't pissed off Mac by injecting my beliefs somewhat off-topic... God is going to get you..... - Page 2 558648
    mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  mac Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:32 am

Resonator wrote:
    Violet wrote:god would still not intervene imo, why would any god do that, many slaughters have happened in history, god did not stop any of those either, nor will god stop slaughters of the future. Only man can stop these things and he won't ever stop these things, as unfortunate as these things are. god is not responsible for what we do nor does god make anyone do anything, or prevent anyone doing anything no matter how bad that action appears to us, we have free will and personal responsibility.

Well said Violet.

The thing is, if we look at the above with a spiritual need to understand, I think the only conclusion one can draw is that free will is God's gift to humanity, and he so loves us that he let's us do whatever we want - though we suffer the consequence, and that consequence is the Realization (or, conversely, the atrophy) of our soul. This demonstrates how there are natural values of right and wrong, sewn into the very fabric of this universe.

...and I hope I haven't pissed off Mac by injecting my beliefs somewhat off-topic... God is going to get you..... - Page 2 558648

Well thanks for your concern but I'm no-one who matters.... I didn't start this thread but looking back to the beginning of it it seems you're not off-topic anyway.

I've 'stood down' over the past few days after a period of intellectually-intense consideration (by my crummy standards) of certain issues which popped up seemingly out of nowhere. And right now I'm looking back at accounts from early last century (I don't usually 'do' history) and I'm finding found some resonances in words said to be from FWH Myers ('The Road to Immortality'.)

It's an interesting example of how truth doesn't change but how its expression may vary and be expressed. I was impressed that no matter how we express things, they will only be as accurate as we're able to explain them using any language system. (This was also particularly evident recently in the recent threads about 'higher self' and communication with incarnates' spirits.)

I'm reminded of what I used to say to folk some years ago, viz "I've no idea how well I'm understanding a subject but my depth of understanding is good enough for me." (or words to that effect) I'm in the frame of mind that I'll do what I can to help others if they ask for help all the time realising that mostly I'm gonna fail.

I'm being taken back to fundamentals, looking again at them, and refreshing ideas and notions - then looking at what I might do better in future. Even if it's only ever for myself....

Oops - now I've gone off-topic. sorry God is going to get you..... - Page 2 160943
    Resonator
    Resonator

Male

Post  Resonator Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:29 pm

mac wrote:...I've 'stood down' over the past few days after a period of intellectually-intense consideration (by my crummy standards) of certain issues which popped up seemingly out of nowhere. And right now I'm looking back at accounts from early last century (I don't usually 'do' history) and I'm finding found some resonances in words said to be from FWH Myers ('The Road to Immortality'.)

It's an interesting example of how truth doesn't change but how its expression may vary and be expressed. I was impressed that no matter how we express things, they will only be as accurate as we're able to explain them using any language system. (This was also particularly evident recently in the recent threads about 'higher self' and communication with incarnates' spirits.)

I'm reminded of what I used to say to folk some years ago, viz "I've no idea how well I'm understanding a subject but my depth of understanding is good enough for me." (or words to that effect) I'm in the frame of mind that I'll do what I can to help others if they ask for help all the time realising that mostly I'm gonna fail.

I'm being taken back to fundamentals, looking again at them, and refreshing ideas and notions - then looking at what I might do better in future. Even if it's only ever for myself....

Oops - now I've gone off-topic. sorry God is going to get you..... - Page 2 160943

IMO, your observations go back to the conceptual nature of mind. Metaphor and symbology are the raw language of consciousness - our thoughts are never the things themselves, never the things they represent. Our consciousness of anything is an understanding - a conceptual construct built from the inside out.

This means if we pull out one brick the whole structure crumbles - but on the plus side, which we see all around us, this also means there are infinite ways to construct an understanding of any single thing. In free-form this is known as 'imagination', which is only possible because of the conceptual nature of mind.

Gotta take the good with the bad, I suppose. It makes conceptualizing easy, but adds an extra dimension of difficulty to communication. I often think of it as 'The great gotcha'. God is going to get you..... - Page 2 809779
    mac

Male

Post  mac Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:27 pm

"This means if we pull out one brick the whole structure crumbles - but
    on the plus side, which we see all around us, this also means there are
    infinite ways to construct an understanding of any single thing. In
    free-form this is known as 'imagination', which is only possible because
    of the conceptual nature of mind."

Not so for me....

As with any edifice, the removal of one brick is likely to have little impact on the total structure providing it's not a key load-bearer. The removal of a single brick, or even a group, may slightly alter the overall appearance but provided the structure is essentially sound it will remain that way.

Thus I'm not learning some fundamentally different ideas, or losing others which underpinned the whole picture. (however incomplete it may have been) I'm simply revisiting each section, taking a look at how the whole holds together and remembering the function of each of the bricks.

It's not a case of the whole structure crumbling in my case - your own situation may be different.
    Resonator
    Resonator

Male

Post  Resonator Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:41 pm

I find that interesting because you don't disagree with my overall premise of the conceptual nature of mind , but rather with the implication of the fragility of our conceptions.

I suppose it does depend on how stubbornly we hang on to our conceptions, if you want to argue with that - but to carry the metaphor forward, that just means we resist the loosening of the brick. Of course we are always tearing down and rebuilding the structures of our conceptions whenever we learn anything - but that does not automatically imbue them with any real integrity, IMO.

Perhaps another metaphor: All beliefs hang from a chain of acceptances, anchored at the top to a leap of faith. A break anywhere in the chain let's the belief fall, though of course we don't like to look at our beliefs that way, we like to think of them as substantial and self-sustaining - until they fall.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:14 pm

Resonator wrote:I find that interesting because you don't disagree
    with my overall premise of the conceptual nature of mind , but rather
    with the implication of the fragility of our conceptions.

I
    suppose it does depend on how stubbornly we hang on to our conceptions,
    if you want to argue with that - but to carry the metaphor forward, that
    just means we resist the loosening of the brick. Of course we are
    always tearing down and rebuilding the structures of our conceptions
    whenever we learn anything - but that does not automatically imbue them
    with any real integrity, IMO.

Perhaps another metaphor: All
    beliefs hang from a chain of acceptances, anchored at the top to a leap
    of faith. A break anywhere in the chain let's the belief fall, though
    of course we don't like to look at our beliefs that way, we like to
    think of them as substantial and self-sustaining - until they
    fall.

Please don't work on the basis that if I haven't expressed disagreement that I am in agreement....

I responded simply to one aspect of what you wrote. You continuing
    brick/edifice metaphor is your personal point of view and although I'm
    not writing to challenge that, neither does it mean I'm accepting your
    premise.....
    Resonator
    Resonator

Male

Post  Resonator Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:26 pm

The floor is open Mac - please feel free to straighten me out.

I only have what you tell me to go on. You seemed to be carrying the 'brick structure' metaphor to make your own point, which I took as a tacit agreement of the substance behind the metaphor.

My apologies for my assumption.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:40 pm

Resonator

The floor is open Mac - please feel free to straighten me out. What are you inviting me to straighten you out about - I hadn't mentioned any such thing of course!

I only have what you tell me to go on. Do you mean the pulling out of the non load-bearing brick issue? I tried to make myself as clear as I could - looks like I might have failed. You seemed to be carrying the 'brick structure' metaphor to make your own point, Yes I did extend the use of the metaphor you had earlier used to draw out a further point of my own....which I took as a tacit agreement of the substance behind the metaphor. no - That wasn't the case.

My apologies for my assumption. Thank you but none needed.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:54 pm

I have another couple of instances of the brick and edifice issue but to avoid being off-topic here again, I'll start a new thread later...
    Resonator
    Resonator

Male

Post  Resonator Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:18 am

mac wrote:Resonator

The floor is open Mac - please feel free to straighten me out. What are you inviting me to straighten you out about - I hadn't mentioned any such thing of course!

I only have what you tell me to go on. Do you mean the pulling out of the non load-bearing brick issue? I tried to make myself as clear as I could - looks like I might have failed. You seemed to be carrying the 'brick structure' metaphor to make your own point, Yes I did extend the use of the metaphor you had earlier used to draw out a further point of my own....which I took as a tacit agreement of the substance behind the metaphor. no - That wasn't the case.

My apologies for my assumption. Thank you but none needed.
    Thank you for your reply.
    PEACE

Female
    Number of posts : 186
    Job/hobbies : MOTHER AND SPIRITUAL TRAVERLER
    Registration date : 2010-07-01

Post  PEACE Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi i wanted to say that when i was 2 maybe 2 1/2 my mum leaned out of a window to tell me to stop picking the daiseys as "God is watching you",well i just carried right on picking them only as i did i looked up just to make sure.......im old now and i find it funny that people fear god hell i never did!!!!
    CW
    CW

Female

Post  CW Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Thank you for sharing your childhood experience PEACE! Even as a child I also knew God is a loving, caring source.

As a child my mother often said "to fear God is respect for God" / OMG, I love my mother but today I thank God for a mind of my own and I certainly use this head for more than a hat rack God is going to get you..... - Page 2 331509

Love to all....
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:19 pm

i find it funny that people fear god hell i never did!!!!

There is far more to be scared of on this plane than godGod is going to get you..... - Page 2 809779

mac

Male

Post  mac Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:26 am

Violet wrote:
    i find it funny that people fear god hell i never did!!!!

There is far more to be scared of on this plane than godGod is going to get you..... - Page 2 809779

like big dogs and certain humans with bad attitudes
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:02 am

I'm with you there,Mac.....we can't all be perfect.....God is going to get you..... - Page 2 809779

I do try....God is going to get you..... - Page 2 160943
    CW
    CW

Female

Post  CW Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:18 pm

What exactly do we have to fear other than fear itself?
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:59 pm