Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
skye
innerlight
angelhealer
mia
Soaring Bird
Violet
10 posters

Meditation in Schools?

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Meditation in Schools? Empty Meditation in Schools?

Post  Violet Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:40 pm

I'm sure I heard somewhere a few years ago that this was being considered in some areas, and mia's angel thread just reminded me, I don't think anything came of it but wouldn't it be good, or would it? What are your thoughts on this (and thanks mia for inspiring this thread.)

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    Soaring Bird
    Soaring Bird

Male
    Number of posts : 1225
    Job/hobbies : Guitar
    Registration date : 2009-07-14

Meditation in Schools? Empty Great Idea

Post  Soaring Bird Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:00 am

I think it would be brilliant. Yesterday I asked my daughter what she thought of a little ditty I had done on guitar. Finger plucking (Single notes rather than chords) She said it reminded her of a small river. Thats what I was hoping to get. So I said to her close your eyes and picture it while I play. I thought she was going to fall asleep. next thing she opens her eyes dreamily and says shes going to draw it.
    She did a rough sketch of a river with bullrushes, grassy banks and stones in the river. I think she just had a short meditation. Well happy. I think its a great idea letting the kids have a med at school.

Huggles x :treehug:
    mia
    mia

Female
    Number of posts : 1741
    Job/hobbies : Carer Support Worker
    Registration date : 2009-07-27

Meditation in Schools? Empty Re: Meditation in Schools?

Post  mia Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:06 am

My daughter was taught how to meditate in school, just a one off half hour lesson.
    This was about 15 yrs ago.
    Two of the children who were with me on World Angel Day went to childrens meditation class.
    The rest didn't, but were easy to take under.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:38 pm

It's a shame it isn't done more, I think it's an excellent skilll to have, it would help calm certain kids, it would also help before exams.

angelhealer
    angelhealer

Female
    Number of posts : 70
    Job/hobbies : spiritual healer and teacher
    Registration date : 2010-04-10

Post  angelhealer Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:45 pm

To become more spiritual in schools is a passion of mine. I would love to see this happen in schools. I don't see it as being of harm to them, so why not?
    I think I only recently heard of a world angels day and to use that to help children who are up to age 5 personal experience with my nephew are very intouch with their spriituality. I think if you are a parent you could teach children more spiritual aspects of self in order to help the evolution of this world take place.
    Unfortunately I can't have kids but I love all the ones that haven't got love to be given so that's okay for all.
    angelhealer
    innerlight
    innerlight
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3817
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post  innerlight Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:51 pm

As long as religions stay divided and in war with each other I don't see it happening any time soon. Many have fought over prayer being in schools, and the words under god in our pledge of allegiance have been fought. So I don't see meditation being any different. Even if there are lots of benefits to it such as stress and anger management.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:53 pm

But meditation isn't a strictly religious practice is it,anyone and everyone can meditate regardless of beliefs, or am I wrong? Meditation in Schools? 229495

angelhealer
    angelhealer

Female
    Number of posts : 70
    Job/hobbies : spiritual healer and teacher
    Registration date : 2010-04-10

Post  angelhealer Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:04 am

I agree that religion is man made but I thought meditation is like eastern spiritual practice. The goverments of this world and churches have alot to answer for and all children I feel should be open to such practices as prayer and meditation.
    Prayer yes because all religions pray and of course we have one God our creator but hey that's another topic. Meditation in Schools? 350287
    innerlight
    innerlight
    Elite

Male

Post  innerlight Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:13 am

Violet wrote:But meditation isn't a strictly religious practice is it,anyone and everyone can meditate regardless of beliefs, or am I wrong? Meditation in Schools? 229495

Technically prayer is not specifically for any religion. Yet, atheists would scream foul that it is, as well as Christians would say their prayer is the correct way of praying. Meditation is slowly moving into more religions as well. Christians/Catholics understand it is well. Yet, they use it for another way of "listening to god" which is similar to just listening to your inner self that most meditation schools teach.
    skye

Female
    Number of posts : 1256
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

Post  skye Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:58 am

Violet wrote:But meditation isn't a strictly religious practice is it,anyone and everyone can meditate regardless of beliefs, or am I wrong? Meditation in Schools? 229495

I agree with you Violet, meditation has nothing to do with religion. It's a discipline that we can all benefit from but I fear very few children would have the attention span or be interested in wanting to do it. To some, it could probably feel like their being punished, no matter how many times they were told differently.

The primary school that my children attended had a headteacher who played classical music during the day. She believed it helped with their school work improving their grades. Now, I wouldn't know if this was true or not although I suppose it could be said it was for the teachers benefit too.

Neither did it change the kids behaviour to one another in the school yard or out of school. Daily fights and arguments still ruled! Despite all that, i'm sure a large majority of them have grown into well adjusted adults - maybe not perfect but then again who is?

In my opinion, i'd quite happily accept them having their daydreams, which is said to be a form of meditation in itself and, leave the deeper aspect of meditation for when they are older and let them make up their own minds to decide if it's for them or not.
    psychoslice
    psychoslice

Male
    Number of posts : 1117
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  psychoslice Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:50 am

I think that the fundamentalist will ruin it, they will argue that its some type of religion and also evil. Most schools don't have religious instruction any more so they may look at meditation as a form of belief system. Myself I think it would be great and if a lot of those fundamentalist tried it, it would do them a lot of good also and do they need ! ?. :med:
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:29 pm

their daydreams, which is said to be a form of meditation in itself

I totally believe this Meditation in Schools? 15910

Sacred-Star
    Sacred-Star

Female
    Number of posts : 213
    Registration date : 2010-04-22

Post  Sacred-Star Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:13 pm

In one way this can be a 'complex' issue:

It sounds like a good idea, however, I'd not be in favour of it being 'imposed' upon children.
    Maybe give them a taster and see how it goes from there-I'm sure it would help some children, but there will be others who would not take to the idea-no matter how many times you try to show them.
    If meditation was to be made compulsory at schools and some kinds aren't willing, then it is being imposed upon them, whether they like it or not. As skye gave the example of the classical music being played, yet fights or arguments being carried out in the play-ground...shows that one thing does not work for everybody. When I was at school, my head teacher used to play classical music in the hall every morning-I was always impressed by this, but other students didn't think much about it.
    Then there is the problem of some parents labelling or seeing it as some 'hippy' experinment and they might complain about it.
    Then there are parents who adhere strictly to their religion and impose this upon their children, they're not likely to be too happy about meditation being offered. They might argue about why prayer isn't being offered?

It does sound like a great idea but there are numerous factors to take into account before meditation can be offered.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:26 pm

Sacred-Star wrote:In one way this can be a 'complex' issue:

It sounds like a good idea, however, I'd not be in favour of it being 'imposed' upon children.
    Maybe give them a taster and see how it goes from there-I'm sure it would help some children, but there will be others who would not take to the idea-no matter how many times you try to show them.
    If meditation was to be made compulsory at schools and some kinds aren't willing, then it is being imposed upon them, whether they like it or not. As skye gave the example of the classical music being played, yet fights or arguments being carried out in the play-ground...shows that one thing does not work for everybody. When I was at school, my head teacher used to play classical music in the hall every morning-I was always impressed by this, but other students didn't think much about it.
    Then there is the problem of some parents labelling or seeing it as some 'hippy' experinment and they might complain about it.
    Then there are parents who adhere strictly to their religion and impose this upon their children, they're not likely to be too happy about meditation being offered. They might argue about why prayer isn't being offered?

It does sound like a great idea but there are numerous factors to take into account before meditation can be offered.

You've raised some really good points there Sacred-Star, I can remember having to say prayers in school and sing hymns got to admit I used to hate it.

innerlight
    innerlight
    Elite

Male

Post  innerlight Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:31 pm

It does sound like a good idea, and many can benefit from it.. But are schools equipped to handle what could go along with a meditation path? What if say a child is meditating and then starts meeting a guide, or a lost spirit by accident. What happens then? What if it starts them on a spiritual path that they don't have anyone to help them on it because their parents are catholic and think those spirits are the devil.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:44 am

I think 5 minutes 'quiet time' in registration every morning, with the teacher to encourage them to imagine (as against visualise) a quiet peaceful place, would not only settle them but encourage creativity too, nothing heavy at all.

It's not likely to happen though for the reasons you guys have stated, no matter how 'non religious' it was most patrents would not see it that way.

Beware_of_Italics
    Beware_of_Italics

Female
    Number of posts : 363
    Registration date : 2011-03-15

Post  Beware_of_Italics Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:54 pm

My instinct says this won't ever happen in schools, or just not anytime soon. Still.... having said that, our school district does have "a moment of silence" every morning at the beginning of announcements. In a way that's sort of like a baby step to meditation, so who knows? This kind of thing just might happen in schools someday.

Ideally, if it were ever a class, I think it should be an elective. That way the students can either take it or leave it. Personally, I would have loved it.

I also agree that while meditation has absolutely nothing to do with religion, there are people out there that will try to take it completely out of context and redefine it. That's why I think something like this should be offered as an elective, same as band, art, choir or athletics. Even being offered as an after school program would be nice.

Great topic, by the way! Meditation in Schools? 15910
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:08 pm

our school district does have "a moment of silence" every morning at the beginning of announcements.

Well at least that's a startMeditation in Schools? 821538 I don't think it needs a whole class as such just a few minutes in registration, I think it would have a fantastic calming and focussing effect.

And yes it could be done by choice rather than forced.

Beware_of_Italics
    Beware_of_Italics

Female
    Number of posts : 363
    Registration date : 2011-03-15

Post  Beware_of_Italics Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:27 am

Violet wrote:I think it would have a fantastic calming and focussing effect.

In that case, I'd choose after lunch. Lol! Those 7th and 8th graders are pretty hyped after lunch, and that's after the school took out all the soda machines. Meditation in Schools? 114597 (Apparently, the caffeine was affecting them during class).
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:31 pm

Meditation in Schools? 809779 Additives in food can be worse than any can of coke, plus food is a refuel it charges 'em up!

Lightseeker
    Lightseeker

Male
    Number of posts : 258
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

Post  Lightseeker Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:25 pm

If I remember correctly, I'd often goof off in class anyway Meditation in Schools? 348985I figure that this much is the case for the majority of children, ergo , the only teaching required would presumably be deep breathing practice...The creative visualisation and allowing the mind to wander seems second nature to most chldren.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Yes it was on all of my school reports tooMeditation in Schools? 160943 good to see you back LightseekerMeditation in Schools? 821538

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 9:23 am