Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
ameliorate
mac
Resonator
7 posters

Big change coming

Resonator
    Resonator

Male
    Number of posts : 358
    Job/hobbies : Recycler
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Big change coming Empty Big change coming

Post  Resonator Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:40 pm

Recently I pulled the Tower, Death, Wheel of fortune, and 10 of swords cards, one each day, one after another.

This is how I know big change is coming.

Anala likes this post

mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Big change coming Empty Re: Big change coming

Post  mac Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:49 pm

Resonator wrote:Recently I pulled the Tower, Death, Wheel of fortune, and 10 of swords cards, one each day, one after another.

I don't doubt a big change is coming but with respect, isn't it pretty obvious? I 'hear' that message all the time.

Anala likes this post

Resonator
    Resonator

Male

Post  Resonator Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:58 am

mac wrote:
    Resonator wrote:Recently I pulled the Tower, Death, Wheel of fortune, and 10 of swords cards, one each day, one after another.

I don't doubt a big change is coming but with respect, isn't it pretty obvious?  I 'hear' that message all the time.
    Good point.  Yes, it seems the world is in a period of accelerated change right now.

But I took the message to mean the my personal life would see a big change, and in fact it has been happening.  I've essentially changed careers in the last few months, just by doing work people asked me to do.  It's also been a while since I've been active here, but I find myself here more and more.   It's like having a whole new group of friends.

I welcome any other thoughts or comments.  Thank you for yours Mac.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:17 am

[quote="Resonator"]
    mac wrote:

I don't doubt a big change is coming but with respect, isn't it pretty obvious?  I 'hear' that message all the time.
    Good point.  Yes, it seems the world is in a period of accelerated change right now.
    :asmile:

But I took the message to mean the my personal life would see a big change, and in fact it has been happening.  I've essentially changed careers in the last few months, just by doing work people asked me to do.  It's also been a while since I've been active here, but I find myself here more and more.   It's like having a whole new group of friends.

I'm sorry I didn't understand you meant you had been drawing for yourself or that the predictions were personal to you. I know near-enough nothing about Tarot and the claimed significance of the cards.

I'm pleased to hear things have changed for you apparently for the better, an interesting comparison against the many accounts of extreme difficulty.

I hope you'll remain and post more on SI although I'm a very rare visitor to Tarot-based forums, here or elsewhere.

ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female
    Number of posts : 3603
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

Post  ameliorate Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:51 am

On the topic of Big Change Coming (but not on tarot cards), last year I strongly sensed this i.e. that we were very close to having a major global change.  I envisaged something to do with nature/environmental - I guess a virus would cover that!
    Native spirit
    Native spirit

Female
    Number of posts : 887
    Registration date : 2011-02-04

Post  Native spirit Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:22 pm

So many things going on in the world right now there is no Doubt that Big changes are coming.
     As for it being associated with Tarot i could'nt say.
     I dont get on with tarot cards

Namaste :worry:

Resonator and ameliorate like this post

mac

Male

Post  mac Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:04 pm

Native spirit wrote:So many things going on in the world right now there is no Doubt that Big changes are coming.

At various times in the past I've asked practitioners how Tarot works and heard many words in response but few of them genuinely explaining 'how'.....

To me what appears to be the situation in Tarot is there's a mix of psychic awareness/sensitivity/reading being used, sometimes with the help/views of discarnates coming into the picture, and lastly there's the intuition of the reader. All those factors are pretty unspecific and highly variable from one individual to the next.

What also has often been my experience is a resistance by practitioners to be questioned about or 'pigeon-holed' (as she/he sees it) or categorised. I've also experienced marked antagonism towards my even asking questions to try to help me understand what's happening.
    Resonator
    Resonator

Male

Post  Resonator Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:23 pm

mac wrote:... I hope you'll remain and post more on SI although I'm a very rare visitor to Tarot-based forums, here or elsewhere.
    Thanks Mac. Looking forward to it. :asmile:
    Resonator
    Resonator

Male

Post  Resonator Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:25 pm

ameliorate wrote:On the topic of Big Change Coming (but not on tarot cards), last year I strongly sensed this i.e. that we were very close to having a major global change.  I envisaged something to do with nature/environmental - I guess a virus would cover that!
    Yes it would.

Prophecy is a slippery beast, but it does happen, I'm sure of it.
    Resonator
    Resonator

Male

Post  Resonator Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:14 pm

mac wrote:At various times in the past I've asked practitioners how Tarot works and heard many words in response but few of them genuinely explaining 'how'.....  

To me what appears to be the situation in Tarot is there's a mix of psychic awareness/sensitivity/reading being used, sometimes with the help/views of discarnates coming into the picture, and lastly there's the intuition of the reader.  All those factors are pretty unspecific and highly variable from one individual to the next.

What also has often been my experience is a resistance by practitioners to be questioned about or 'pigeon-holed' (as she/he sees it) or categorised. I've also experienced marked antagonism towards my even asking questions to try to help me understand what's happening.
    Sucks always being the practical one, doesn't it.  Ask me how I know.   :gah:

I too have noticed that discussion about just how Tarot works can quickly get contentious.   It seems to be quite the controversy.

I don't mind saying how I think they work for me.   They may work differently for different people, and probably do.  I suspect a lot of the controversy is simply caused by it being a complicated subject, and people demanding that how they see it is the One And Only True Way.

But for me, it's a combination of two things:  

First is the dealing of the cards.   The spiritual perspective shows us that everything is connected.  Not only all of space, but all of time.  All these forces converge perpetually at the point we call 'now'.  Whatever we call these collective forces, whether it's Karma, or biorhythms, or astrology, or whatever, the idea is that at any moment everything around us is influenced by and influencing our current life trajectories.   This is a fundamental spiritual principle.

So, to tap into this, the tarot is designed to concentrate an array of depictions of common situations and themes in one place so that if a particular card is picked at 'random', subject to the same laws as everything else it will reflect those forces which are otherwise invisible (but which are also revealed in our experiences as our life unfolds).   This could be through a variety of mechanisms, as explained, and exactly how this works is by definition a metaphysical mystery, being spiritual - but that's the theory.

Secondly is the interpretation of the card.  This is easily explainable, as the way the human mind works is to find connection and seek explanation.   What's on your mind?   Look at anything and it will tell you, because our POV is all about our priorities, our perspective, our fears and desires of the moment.    

You can do this right now.   Grab the nearest book you can find, open to any random page, and read the first sentence your eye falls on.   Now think about what that could possibly mean to you.   Does it bring to mind any issues that have meaning to you?   If you think hard enough something will always pop up.  It's just the way the human mind works.   I have always been a particularly metaphorical thinker, so it comes natural to me.  

The Tarot concentrates and focuses these ideas to a truly industrial level.  Notice the cards aren't explicit - the cards are very general, depicted with archetypes that narrow a concept but at the same time leaves plenty of room to add specific detail.

For me it is an interesting occasional diversion.   For many it is a way of life, and for many others it does nothing.   The universe loves variety.   :flo:
    Gardenia
    Gardenia

Female
    Number of posts : 15
    Job/hobbies : Retired, knitting, spinning, camping, 4WD'ing, gardening, drawing
    Registration date : 2020-11-03

Post  Gardenia Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:32 pm

mac wrote:
    Native spirit wrote:So many things going on in the world right now there is no Doubt that Big changes are coming.

At various times in the past I've asked practitioners how Tarot works and heard many words in response but few of them genuinely explaining 'how'.....  

To me what appears to be the situation in Tarot is there's a mix of psychic awareness/sensitivity/reading being used, sometimes with the help/views of discarnates coming into the picture, and lastly there's the intuition of the reader.  All those factors are pretty unspecific and highly variable from one individual to the next.

The reason I'm sure that Tarot readers get the hump if you ask how Tarot works, is that no-one actually knows how it works. Even the best Tarot books indicate that no-one knows for sure how it works. Perhaps not knowing annoys some people when asked because humans generally don't like to be thought of as ignorant and of course, if someone doesn't know something, they are ignorant to whatever they have been asked about. 

Each Tarot reader has their own idea of how Tarot works but of course, it can't be proven. 

May I ask why you are so curious? It seems you don't personally read the cards so I'm wondering why the interest? If you really want to know, pick up a pack of Tarot cards and use them. Then you can formulate your own theory on how they work. 

There are various theories such as spirit guides, angels, God's messengers, the universal collective, relatives who have passed over, the reader's own subconscious, alien life forms, etc. The list is endless. When all is said and done, I don't think it really matters that we don't know how it works. Such is the nature of anything spiritual. As a Tarot reader myself, I really don't care that I don't know how it works, I simply know that it does, which is enough for me. Sure, I have my belief of how I personally "think" Tarot might work but that is my belief and not necessarily another Tarot reader's belief. It is also fluid. You may start out with a certain belief when you first start learning the cards, but that may change further on down the track after you've encountered certain experiences or read other readers ideas on the subject. For example, when I first started learning Tarot, I thought it worked through ones subconscious. However, after a personal experience with the cards whereby something quite specific was accurately predicted, I changed my stance as I didn't believe the subconscious could possibly know future events.  

So basically, how long is a piece of string?  :scratch:
    mac

Male

Post  mac Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:03 pm

Gardenia wrote:
    mac wrote:

The reason I'm sure that Tarot readers get the hump if you ask how Tarot works, is that no-one actually knows how it works.
    Then their answer should be like yours.....
    Even the best Tarot books indicate that no-one knows for sure how it works. Perhaps not knowing annoys some people when asked because humans generally don't like to be thought of as ignorant and of course, if someone doesn't know something, they are ignorant to whatever they have been asked about. 
    You've just given a complete explanation of the picture.  Tarot practitioners - in my view - should be aware why they don't know what's happening.  And just say so when asked.  Is it that difficult to say "I don't know."?

Each Tarot reader has their own idea of how Tarot works but of course, it can't be proven.
     It's not the impression I've gained. 

May I ask why you are so curious? It seems you don't personally read the cards so I'm wondering why the interest? If you really want to know, pick up a pack of Tarot cards and use them. Then you can formulate your own theory on how they work. 
    I'm interested in communication of all and any kind.  Tarot appears to involve communication.  I'm not interested in developing my own theory about how Tarot works. I look to those who know when I'm seeking to learn, whatever the subject.

There are various theories such as spirit guides, angels, God's messengers, the universal collective, relatives who have passed over, the reader's own subconscious, alien life forms, etc. The list is endless. When all is said and done, I don't think it really matters that we don't know how it works. Such is the nature of anything spiritual. As a Tarot reader myself, I really don't care that I don't know how it works, I simply know that it does, which is enough for me. Sure, I have my belief of how I personally "think" Tarot might work but that is my belief and not necessarily another Tarot reader's belief. It is also fluid. You may start out with a certain belief when you first start learning the cards, but that may change further on down the track after you've encountered certain experiences or read other readers ideas on the subject. For example, when I first started learning Tarot, I thought it worked through ones subconscious. However, after a personal experience with the cards whereby something quite specific was accurately predicted, I changed my stance as I didn't believe the subconscious could possibly know future events.  

So basically, how long is a piece of string?  :scratch:

Points noted. Thanks for your comments.

Resonator likes this post

Gardenia
    Gardenia

Female

Post  Gardenia Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:06 pm

Resonator wrote:
    mac wrote:At various times in the past I've asked practitioners how Tarot works and heard many words in response but few of them genuinely explaining 'how'.....  

Sucks always being the practical one, doesn't it.  Ask me how I know.   :gah:

I too have noticed that discussion about just how Tarot works can quickly get contentious.   It seems to be quite the controversy.

I don't mind saying how I think they work for me.   They may work differently for different people, and probably do.  I suspect a lot of the controversy is simply caused by it being a complicated subject, and people demanding that how they see it is the One And Only True Way.

But for me, it's a combination of two things:  

First is the dealing of the cards.   The spiritual perspective shows us that everything is connected.  Not only all of space, but all of time.  All these forces converge perpetually at the point we call 'now'.  Whatever we call these collective forces, whether it's Karma, or biorhythms, or astrology, or whatever, the idea is that at any moment everything around us is influenced by and influencing our current life trajectories.   This is a fundamental spiritual principle.

So, to tap into this, the tarot is designed to concentrate an array of depictions of common situations and themes in one place so that if a particular card is picked at 'random', subject to the same laws as everything else it will reflect those forces which are otherwise invisible (but which are also revealed in our experiences as our life unfolds).   This could be through a variety of mechanisms, as explained, and exactly how this works is by definition a metaphysical mystery, being spiritual - but that's the theory.

Secondly is the interpretation of the card.  This is easily explainable, as the way the human mind works is to find connection and seek explanation.   What's on your mind?   Look at anything and it will tell you, because our POV is all about our priorities, our perspective, our fears and desires of the moment.    

You can do this right now.   Grab the nearest book you can find, open to any random page, and read the first sentence your eye falls on.   Now think about what that could possibly mean to you.   Does it bring to mind any issues that have meaning to you?   If you think hard enough something will always pop up.  It's just the way the human mind works.   I have always been a particularly metaphorical thinker, so it comes natural to me.  

The Tarot concentrates and focuses these ideas to a truly industrial level.  Notice the cards aren't explicit - the cards are very general, depicted with archetypes that narrow a concept but at the same time leaves plenty of room to add specific detail.

For me it is an interesting occasional diversion.   For many it is a way of life, and for many others it does nothing.   The universe loves variety.   :flo:

I tried the book thing ... the sentence I got was "For a moment we were pressed against each other and I was very aware of her body against mind as she took a moment to balance herself".  :rofl: I couldn't find anything in that sentence that holds any meaning for me!

mac and Resonator like this post

Resonator
    Resonator

Male

Post  Resonator Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:24 pm

Gardenia wrote:I tried the book thing ... the sentence I got was "For a moment we were pressed against each other and I was very aware of her body against mind as she took a moment to balance herself".  :rofl: I couldn't find anything in that sentence that holds any meaning for me!
    Well gardenia... the universe loves variety. :flo:
    Gardenia
    Gardenia

Female

Post  Gardenia Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:55 pm

mac wrote:
    Gardenia wrote:

Then their answer should be like yours.....

You've just given a complete explanation of the picture.  Tarot practitioners - in my view - should be aware why they don't know what's happening.  And just say so when asked.  Is it that difficult to say "I don't know."?

It's not the impression I've gained. 

I'm interested in communication of all and any kind.  Tarot appears to involve communication.  I'm not interested in developing my own theory about how Tarot works. I look to those who know when I'm seeking to learn, whatever the subject.

Points noted.  Thanks for your comments.

I totally agree with you. It shouldn't be hard to just say "I don't know". I don't know why some Tarot readers get their backs up. I should have said "Each Tarot reader that I know has their own idea of how Tarot works ... " Maybe some readers like to be thought of as "experts" and feel they should know how it works. 

It's good to be interested and want to learn various things in life. I'm sorry that I am unable to help with your question. When it comes to Tarot or any area of mysticism for that matter, I don't know how anyone could know and anyone who says they do should be looked at with a degree of scepticism.
    Resonator
    Resonator

Male

Post  Resonator Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:32 am

Gardenia wrote:I totally agree with you. It shouldn't be hard to just say "I don't know". I don't know why some Tarot readers get their backs up. I should have said "Each Tarot reader that I know has their own idea of how Tarot works ... " Maybe some readers like to be thought of as "experts" and feel they should know how it works. 

It's good to be interested and want to learn various things in life. I'm sorry that I am unable to help with your question. When it comes to Tarot or any area of mysticism for that matter, I don't know how anyone could know and anyone who says they do should be looked at with a degree of scepticism.
    You know, between Mac's and your comments I feel I stepped into a trap. I was asked for an answer, and I gave an answer... and it seems there is after all only one right answer.

Of course, what do I know - I just speak for myself.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:48 am

Gardenia wrote:
    mac wrote:

I totally agree with you. It shouldn't be hard to just say "I don't know". I don't know why some Tarot readers get their backs up. I should have said "Each Tarot reader that I know has their own idea of how Tarot works ... " Maybe some readers like to be thought of as "experts" and feel they should know how it works. 

Quite the reverse.  You HAVE helped me enormously with your well-presented, well-argued, well-reasoned presentation of the situation.  It's the best and most comprehensive I've ever read and I'm very grateful you've taken the time, made the effort, to respond.

If I were asked my experience it's very limited but the details I was given had the characteristics of psychic reading.  One reader did explain that he felt what he did was exactly that along with his own intuition and empathy.  The cards, he agreed, were primarily a prop, a focus for his psychic sensitivity.

linen
    linen

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2020-10-15

Post  linen Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:31 pm

Resonator wrote:
    Gardenia wrote:I totally agree with you. It shouldn't be hard to just say "I don't know". I don't know why some Tarot readers get their backs up. I should have said "Each Tarot reader that I know has their own idea of how Tarot works ... " Maybe some readers like to be thought of as "experts" and feel they should know how it works. 

You know, between Mac's and your comments I feel I stepped into a trap.   I was asked for an answer, and I gave an answer... and it seems there is after all only one right answer.

Yes, you did step in a trap.  One that certain others will gladly pounce on.

There is major changes going on.  It's an upheaval.  Millions upon millions out of work, learning to be dependent on the government.  I'd say that alone is a major change.  An eye opener, if you will.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:08 pm

Resonator wrote:

You know, between Mac's and your comments I feel I stepped into a trap.   I was asked for an answer, and I gave an answer... and it seems there is after all only one right answer.

I hope my comments weren't felt to be part of a trap.  I didn't respond because there was nothing I could relate to - sorry.   I did read it all and ought to have responded by saying what I have said now.

There is no single answer that is right but there are some that are wrong - for me.  But to parrot your words "What do I know?".  About Tarot I know nothing and if there is no simple way to explain how it operates then I'm not likely to learn anything.  

Maybe it's akin to learning about advanced science or maths etc, something you need an aptitude for.  Without the aptitude and a sufficient level of overall comprehension no simple explanation can be given because the subjects just aren't simple beyond a certain level.

mac

Male

Post  mac Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:14 pm

linen wrote:
    Resonator wrote:

Yes, you did step in a trap.
      He didn't step into any trap set by me.
    One that certain others will gladly pounce on.
    They'll have quite the job pouncing on one that didn't exist....

There is major changes going on.  It's an upheaval.  Millions upon millions out of work, learning to be dependent on the government.  I'd say that alone is a major change.  An eye opener, if you will.
    When big change is predicted (?) I suspect folk will expect more than that. As with all claimed predictions, though, details are missing so there's no way to check what was meant and what occurred.

Resonator
    Resonator

Male

Post  Resonator Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:37 pm

mac wrote:
    Resonator wrote:

I hope my comments weren't felt to be part of a trap.  I didn't respond because there was nothing I could relate to - sorry.   I did read it all and ought to have responded by saying what I have said now.

There is no single answer that is right but there are some that are wrong - for me.  But to parrot your words "What do I know?".  About Tarot I know nothing and if there is no simple way to explain how it operates then I'm not likely to learn anything.  

Maybe it's akin to learning about advanced science or maths etc, something you need an aptitude for.  Without the aptitude and a sufficient level of overall comprehension no simple explanation can be given because the subjects just aren't simple beyond a certain level.
    Thanks for your clarification Mac. I appreciate it.

I see it practically every day, but still forget too easily how easy it is for trouble to be stirred up.

Shame on me. :ghug:
    55_Degrees
    Just joined

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2020-10-15

Post  55_Degrees Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:34 pm

quote="mac"]

To me what appears to be the situation in Tarot is there's a mix of psychic awareness/sensitivity/reading being used, sometimes with the help/views of discarnates coming into the picture, and lastly there's the intuition of the reader. All those factors are pretty unspecific and highly variable from one individual to the next.

What also has often been my experience is a resistance by practitioners to be questioned about or 'pigeon-holed' (as she/he sees it) or categorised. I've also experienced marked antagonism towards my even asking questions to try to help me understand what's happening.[/quote]

I answered this for you on another forum, my answer remains the same.
    My cards trigger my subconscious, reading the archetypal patterns portrayed in the images.
    Archetypes are ancient images of communication from before the written word. These images allow my subconscious to translate them into a language that is then relayed to the querant.
    I will add that I do not know, I use the explanation of the subconscious because 'I do not know' does not satisfy a lot of people who ask how it works, I give my answer as my opinion but it doesn't mean it's a fact. I've had dealings with readers who come up with messages that left me astounded. How do they do it? I don't know.

Because tarot is not a science, its more an interpretation if art, there is no definitive answer to the question 'how does tarot work?'. Everyone has their own thoughts, ideas and beliefs but there is no tangible explanation, this could be why readers don't want to be pigeon-holed. Another reason could be that, like a spiritual path, tarot reading is a personal thing, all readers are different, from their actual card decks, to the meaning those cards hold for them and how they use them. Not all readers make predictions, not all readers need to go through some drawn out ritual before they read, not all readers believe in angels, spirit guides or that Satan is going drag you through the cards down to Hellfire because you opened a portal to the underworld (haha, yes, we get people telling us this on a regular basis).

I would love to give a science based answer, I would love to know myself categorically how tarot works.
    I often get asked how I stay so slim. The honest answer, I have no idea, I'm just slim it's just how my body is. Like the tarot question, some questions just don't have a set answer.

Also, if readers are getting uppity about being asked, I think you may be prodding a bit of a raw nerve for them. It's not your question that irritates them, it's the fact that they would have to admit fallibility, in that, they don't know everything.

Amberfields likes this post

mac

Male

Post  mac Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:51 pm

55_Degrees wrote:
    mac wrote:

I answered this for you on another forum, my answer remains the same.
    My cards trigger my subconscious, reading the archetypal patterns portrayed in the images.
    Archetypes are ancient images of communication from before the written word. These images allow my subconscious to translate them into a language that is then relayed to the querant.
    I will add that I do not know, I use the explanation of the subconscious because 'I do not know' does not satisfy a lot of people who ask how it works, I give my answer as my opinion but it doesn't mean it's a fact. I've had dealings with readers who come up with messages that left me astounded. How do they do it? I don't know.

Because tarot is not a science, its more an interpretation if art, there is no definitive answer to the question 'how does tarot work?'.  Everyone has their own thoughts, ideas and beliefs but there is no tangible explanation, this could be why readers don't want to be pigeon-holed. Another reason could be that, like a spiritual path, tarot reading is a personal thing, all readers are different, from their actual card decks, to the meaning those cards hold for them and how they use them. Not all readers make predictions, not all readers need to go through some drawn out ritual before they read, not all readers believe in angels, spirit guides or that Satan is going drag you through the cards down to Hellfire because you opened a portal to the underworld (haha, yes, we get people telling us this on a regular basis).

I would love to give a science based answer,  I would love to know myself categorically how tarot works.
    I often get asked how I stay so slim. The honest answer, I have no idea, I'm just slim it's just how my body is. Like the tarot question, some questions just don't have a set answer.

Also, if readers are getting uppity about being asked, I think you may be prodding a bit of a raw nerve for them. It's not your question that irritates them, it's the fact that they would have to admit fallibility, in that, they don't know everything.  

thank you for your observations

If one thing is constant in all this it's that nobody thus far appears to knows "how it works".  If no-one does one might then go further to ask how it would be when it's not worked?  Or maybe that's easier to answer?

Perhaps one thing one might also ask is what tarot can reasonably be expected to do.

Resonator
    Resonator

Male

Post  Resonator Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:00 pm

mac wrote:thank you for your observations

If one thing is constant in all this it's that nobody thus far appears to knows "how it works".  If no-one does one might then go further to ask how it would be when it's not worked?  Or maybe that's easier to answer?

Perhaps one thing one might also ask is what tarot can reasonably be expected to do.
    Without a reliable theory of "how it works" I'm not sure how we are supposed to know anything else about it.

That said, presupposing my theory of how it works, I have thought through other aspects.

What we are getting to here is prophecy.   The Tarot can shed light on many immediate situations, but primarily Tarot is known as an instrument of prophecy, of revealing what the future holds - at least potentially.

As for when it doesn't work... things 'don't work' all the time - even things that we can see with our eyes and manipulate with our actual real physical hands.   That doesn't mean they don't exist or that nobody knows the truth of it - it means sometimes things don't work, for as many reasons as you care to name.   To narrow that down we are going to have to narrow the scope of a particular 'theory of Tarot' and in true scientific fashion hypothesize the various ways it could go wrong.   So let's proceed.

To understand how various events might be predicted, first we have to understand how events occur in the first place, which we already understand, which is 'cause and effect'.  For any 'effect' to be understood, one must look at the causes, at the chain of events that impinge on the outcome of interest - though that outcome too will become the 'cause' of yet further events, in an endless cascade of cause and effect which presumably started with the Big Bang and will only end some billions of years in the future when entropy finally consumes the entire universe.

But anyway, certain events are picked out as 'outcomes of interest', like lines drawn in the sand, by our conscious awareness, and the Tarot through 'mechanism X' can reputedly shed light on not only the outcomes but various causes as well, at best pointing out ways to avoid an unpleasant outcome and to induce a desired outcome.

So let's look closer at cause and effect, in particular chains of events, any particular chains origin perhaps traceable to some crucial event which visibly influenced the chain from then on, seemingly leading inexorably towards some other particular again crucial event - crucial itself to be classified as an 'outcome'.   Looked at in this way, one can trace outcomes like a river, or a chain, going from event to event and seeing how each cause in turn propelled each resulting effect which then became the cause of the next event in the chain.   Historians do it all the time - in retrospect.

But what if there was a way to see these chains of events 'echoing' into the future?   We do it all the time in our imaginations - that is, in fact, the great advantage to having an imagination, is the ability to plan and foresee - but what if through the mechanism of spirit, as explained in post #10, we were able to 'sense' where those chains were headed, especially in the case of an outcome of great emotional impact?

But here's the thing - I believe the future only exists as potentiality, that the future is not written until it happens.  Of course there are (chains of) events with great potentiality, and there are (chains of) events of low potentiality, but I personally believe it all does echo into the future in 'spirit' following the strongest potentialities at all times.   The Tarot seems adept at picking out opportunities where our free will will have the most opportunity of influencing chains and outcomes - but just why and how that is so is beyond the scope of this post.

In 1996 I had a very powerful and disturbing dream of a jumbo jet crashing into a skyscraper, the most disturbing aspect, besides the massive destruction, was that it seemed deliberate.    Could I have influenced events so that it could be avoided, even if I had any clue to what it was about or where it might happen?  None, I assure you - but it raised a lot of questions for me, especially in 2001 when it happened.   Many more questions than I will ever have answers for, no matter how I try.

So as to why it sometimes 'doesn't work' there you go - low potentialities can be interrupted at numerous levels, and besides that sometimes people are just wrong.  Perception is a frightfully complex function, with opportunity for error from top to bottom.   That too is of far greater scope than this simple post.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:48 pm

Thank you for explaining that Tarot is often used to try to foretell the future. It confirms my thoughts about the subject. Seekers may similarly look to 'mediums' - mistaking psychics for mediums - to try to find out about their future. They seek predictions....

I've often explained to such seekers that a medium won't try to tell the future. I tell them 'the future' doesn't exist as some invariable outcome - the future is what eventually actually happens and there may be many potential outcomes. I have explained in terms very similar to your own.

My own approach has been that what I expect from Tarot is similar to what I'd expect from psychism. You've reinforced I've been right in that.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:02 pm