Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Herb Garden?

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Herb Garden? Empty Herb Garden?

Post  Violet Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:29 pm

Does anyone have a herb garden, no matter how big or small or know much about them? I've been thinking for a long time now that i'd like to make a very small one, what would be good plants to begin with (which won't wildly outbgrow everything else?)

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    Kaere

Female
    Number of posts : 2719
    Registration date : 2009-05-19

Herb Garden? Empty Re: Herb Garden?

Post  Kaere Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:42 am

Oooooh I love this stuff Herb Garden? 348985

Firstly, remember that most herbs do well in poorer soil conditions - sandy or rocky or whatever, it's all good. They also do well in pots if you're not sure how you want to plant an indoor garden yet. Or if you change your mind often, like me Herb Garden? 160943 plus you can bring pots in during the winter if your temperatures get cold enough to kill off the plant (lots of herbs are perennials).

I'd pick some basics - rosemary, lavendar, sage, oregano, basil - all grow into pretty bush shapes
    - thyme is a great low grower, like a ground cover. Looks good in between flagstones, etc and on a warm day when you walk on it, wow it smells just heavenly
    - chives grow like grass, and they have a great oniony flavour - very nice in potatoes
    - you could try planting peppermint/spearmint etc but boy does it ever invade - so you'd be best to stay in pots if you do decide to try these (roots from the foliage). If you want to try catnip, it's also known as catmint, it grows like stink as well, and you'd want to put it in a hanging planter to save it from the krazy kitties.

I do have a magickal herbalism book with references for "witchy" herbs and plants - I'll have a look later and see if there's any additional info on these ones I've suggested.

Happy Planting Herb Garden? 621623
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:51 am

Wow thanks for that Kaere Herb Garden? 821538 I feel I could get right to it after reading that I may start with a couple of pots first to see how it goes (i'm not very green fingered Herb Garden? 809779 ) also it's good to hear they like poor soil and I have some sharp sand I could mix in.
    My cats don't need catnip to act crazy Herb Garden? 809779

Kaere

Female
    Number of posts : 2719
    Registration date : 2009-05-19

Post  Kaere Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:07 am

You're going to enjoy it :) herbs do enjoy a lot of sun so keep that in mind. Up against a wall of some sort can help make a warmer micro-climate if you find your garden is cooler than you'd like.

Man...I so need spring. It dumped snow here again today *sigh* I planted some beans and sunflower seed in little dixie cups with my kids and they've already sprouted. The kids are so proud that they "grew" something lol. I'm going to try to start some other veggies and stuff - pumpkins and tomatoes and...oh just loads of fun stuff. Have to wait until last frost to put them outside though...hard to wait for that.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:14 am

Ah i'm glad you mentioneed the sun as our garden gets hardly any I will tuck them down in the very bottom corner which gets the most sun.
    I was hoping for a bit more snow but i'm greedy Herb Garden? 809779 we had loads already.

Kids love anything like that don't they Herb Garden? 114597 Not enough room here for veggies, plus it's harder work, all that digging Herb Garden? 660782

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:06 pm

I did try some herbs but all that survived was the parsleyHerb Garden? 160943 i've put flowers in this year they're still alive....so far

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sat May 04, 2013 11:01 pm

I'm going to give this another go and plant in the ground rather than pots.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:28 pm