Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Crystal
RavenMoon
blackbirdrising
shayn
mac
9 posters

mediumship

mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

mediumship Empty mediumship

Post  mac Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:11 pm

A words of explanation for anyone unfamiliar with these subjects. 

This forum is titled 'Mediumship' but a so-called reading is not necessarily mediumship and may not involve communications from spirits. Traditional mediumship is however.

If you get a reading from someone you might want to consider what it's supposed to mean and where any information is coming from.  The person to ask, of course, is the one who gave the reading who should readily explain these things.
    shayn
    shayn

Female
    Number of posts : 4035
    Job/hobbies : tarot reader
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

mediumship Empty Re: mediumship

Post  shayn Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:55 pm

ok: true, mediumship is a type of reading that involved spirits, and more precise the spirits of the dead, while communicating spirit in general like guides of some sort or other entities, would be called channelling. 
    readings as you said can involve or not involve spirits and other entities.

well taken point mac...

s
    mac

Male

Post  mac Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:53 pm

shayn wrote:ok: true, mediumship is a type of reading that involved spirits, and more precise the spirits of the dead, while communicating spirit in general like guides of some sort or other entities, would be called channelling. 

well taken point mac...

s
      No this is misleading.

Mediumship is communication between discarnates and incarnates via a third party, the medium.  It isn't a type of reading as nothing - and nobody - is read.  Information comes from a discarnate, or discarnates, and is passed on by way of mediumship in one or more ways.

I'll leave the definition of 'channeling' to a channeler. 
    blackbirdrising
    blackbirdrising

Female
    Number of posts : 177
    Registration date : 2013-11-06

Post  blackbirdrising Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:46 am

Mediumship is translating a message that the client can't (or refuses to) see for their self. That's normal I think, because being so close to an issue can leave you blind to the truth. I'm all for readers giving clients an explanation of their reading style. I would like to add this in my profile here, but I don't know if there is a limit to the number of words in the bio. I'll check.

Channeling energy isn't restricted to speaking/drawing information coming from the deceased, or even from humans. Energy is in all things, everywhere.  Deceased people (the most accepted), deceased animals, living people, living animals, living plants/rocks/minerals, angels, the weather, ET's, deities. A persons background and belief system allow them to be in tune with certain energies. Not every medium sees/hears/feels energies from all sources. If they say they do, avoid them, because they are not being honest with their self.

Some mediums are not prophetic either. They simply don't receive prophetic knowledge (that is, accurate information spontaneously appearing in the mind without being cued from a physical channel). They need the help of cards, stones, rods, crystals, or other energy-charged objects in order to activate the message. I don't see any downfall in psychics who use these media, they are learning tools to develop the mind, and I used them myself for years before reaching a strength plateau and putting them down in 2002. Since then, I just see/hear things in my mind that answer peoples questions, and sometimes I simply know things ahead of time without being told.

Honesty about your limitations is vital to giving clear and accurate messages to others. I work at a psychic website and nothing turns me off more than reading a profile of one of them that says "100% accuracy, 30 years experience" because no one is completely accurate, and definitely not for half a lifetime. Energies will change, ebb and flow, and you will be in tune with new energies over time (and not be in tune with others that you were before). 

Typically a good psychic is no more accurate than a doctor at finding a diagnosis on the first try. About 90-95% (giving some disappointing doctors the benefit of the doubt there). My accuracy runs about 93%, based on feedback.
    RavenMoon
    RavenMoon

Female
    Number of posts : 585
    Job/hobbies : fulltime and lots of interests
    Registration date : 2012-05-06

Post  RavenMoon Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:07 pm

Well said my friend... A View similar to my own.  If we were all  100% what a boring place it would be 
    and it would leave no space to grown and learn.   :hugz:
    mac

Male

Post  mac Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:48 pm

blackbirdrising wrote:Mediumship is translating a message that the client can't (or refuses to) see for their self. That's normal I think, because being so close to an issue can leave you blind to the truth. I'm all for readers giving clients an explanation of their reading style. I would like to add this in my profile here, but I don't know if there is a limit to the number of words in the bio. I'll check.

Channeling energy isn't restricted to speaking/drawing information coming from the deceased, or even from humans. Energy is in all things, everywhere.  Deceased people (the most accepted), deceased animals, living people, living animals, living plants/rocks/minerals, angels, the weather, ET's, deities. A persons background and belief system allow them to be in tune with certain energies. Not every medium sees/hears/feels energies from all sources. If they say they do, avoid them, because they are not being honest with their self.

Some mediums are not prophetic either. They simply don't receive prophetic knowledge (that is, accurate information spontaneously appearing in the mind without being cued from a physical channel). They need the help of cards, stones, rods, crystals, or other energy-charged objects in order to activate the message. I don't see any downfall in psychics who use these media, they are learning tools to develop the mind, and I used them myself for years before reaching a strength plateau and putting them down in 2002. Since then, I just see/hear things in my mind that answer peoples questions, and sometimes I simply know things ahead of time without being told.

Honesty about your limitations is vital to giving clear and accurate messages to others. I work at a psychic website and nothing turns me off more than reading a profile of one of them that says "100% accuracy, 30 years experience" because no one is completely accurate, and definitely not for half a lifetime. Energies will change, ebb and flow, and you will be in tune with new energies over time (and not be in tune with others that you were before). 

Typically a good psychic is no more accurate than a doctor at finding a diagnosis on the first try. About 90-95% (giving some disappointing doctors the benefit of the doubt there). My accuracy runs about 93%, based on feedback.
    You've presented a North American version of mediumship.  Mine was that found in (UK) Spiritualism; the US version may be very different and in the USA the terms 'mediums' and 'psychics' are often used interchangeably.

shayn
    shayn

Female
    Number of posts : 4035
    Job/hobbies : tarot reader
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post  shayn Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:16 am

mac wrote:
    shayn wrote:ok: true, mediumship is a type of reading that involved spirits, and more precise the spirits of the dead, while communicating spirit in general like guides of some sort or other entities, would be called channelling. 

well taken point mac...

s
      No this is misleading.

Mediumship is communication between discarnates and incarnates via a third party, the medium.  It isn't a type of reading as nothing - and nobody - is read.  Information comes from a discarnate, or discarnates, and is passed on by way of mediumship in one or more ways.

ok Mac i accept your correction, the medium is just a tool in between... some just use the simple word for it as reading, but ok...
    and true, and the medium should stay as clean as possible while delivering whatever.

but at the end of the day it is only definition's semantics, 

s
    mac

Male

Post  mac Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:47 pm

shayn wrote:
    mac wrote:

well taken point mac...

s
      No this is misleading.

ok Mac i accept your correction, the medium is just a tool in between... some just use the simple word for it as reading, but ok...
    and true, and the medium should stay as clean as possible while delivering whatever.

but at the end of the day it is only definition's semantics, 

s
    Heeding semantics helps with effective communication, minimising ambiguity and vagueness... If we make an effort to communicate clearly we stand a much better chance of success. 

It's something I always try to do.
    Crystal
    Crystal

Female
    Number of posts : 1249
    Job/hobbies : Counsellor - Crystals,Tarot, Reiki and animal healing
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

Post  Crystal Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:44 pm

Your posts are always clear and precise too Mac :)

What are your thoughts then on the terms that go along with mediumship such as 'the sitter' and 'sitting'?

I think that there is a very common and frequently (used online) misplaced interpretation of reading. But, as readers we know what we mean sadly for the mostpart our clients do not so they frequently request mediumship readings, and then get given what they expect often without being corrected.

In person face to face it is far easier to understand the difference. Whether being on a platform giving confirmation and information supporting the after life or in a private sitting with a client makes the difference obvious. There is no reading. Unlike the psychic or person (or mentalist Derren Brown) that reads the auric layers or body language or cold reads, the medium listens and hears or sees  through their spirit guide and simply relays the information and message.

I think that you have highlighted a detail that is often really missed now that online readings are so prevalent and everyone seems to be a wannabe medium, without training or mentor.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:21 pm

Crystal wrote:Your posts are always clear and precise too Mac :)

What are your thoughts then on the terms that go along with mediumship such as 'the sitter' and 'sitting'?

I think that there is a very common and frequently (used online) misplaced interpretation of reading. But, as readers we know what we mean sadly for the mostpart our clients do not so they frequently request mediumship readings, and then get given what they expect often without being corrected.

In person face to face it is far easier to understand the difference. Whether being on a platform giving confirmation and information supporting the after life or in a private sitting with a client makes the difference obvious. There is no reading. Unlike the psychic or person (or mentalist Derren Brown) that reads the auric layers or body language or cold reads, the medium listens and hears or sees  through their spirit guide and simply relays the information and message.

I think that you have highlighted a detail that is often really missed now that online readings are so prevalent and everyone seems to be a wannabe medium, without training or mentor.
    Thank you for your kind thoughts. 

I much prefer the words 'sitter' and 'sitting' in connection with evidential mediumship where the seeker is sitting in the company of the medium.  It's unfortunate when practitioners do not properly explain the nature of the service they are providing and I see no excuse for such a failing.  Beyond that, of course, a seeker may not have even a basic understanding but I don't feel that's the responsibility of the practitioner to address although some may try to give a little guidance.

Over my years on forum boards I've lost count of the times I've tried to explain what evidential and philosophical mediumship are and/or tried to help a member to understand what they've heard from a practitioner.  I don't try to explain channelling or Tarot etc. as I don't have any depth of understanding of them. 

Often I have grave doubts that some practitioners themselves actually know what they are providing or perhaps it's just that they are unable to explain well enough.
    Crystal
    Crystal

Female

Post  Crystal Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:10 pm

mac wrote:
    I much prefer the words 'sitter' and 'sitting' in connection with evidential mediumship where the seeker is sitting in the company of the medium.  It's unfortunate when practitioners do not properly explain the nature of the service they are providing and I see no excuse for such a failing.  Beyond that, of course, a seeker may not have even a basic understanding but I don't feel that's the responsibility of the practitioner to address although some may try to give a little guidance.

Over my years on forum boards I've lost count of the times I've tried to explain what evidential and philosophical mediumship are and/or tried to help a member to understand what they've heard from a practitioner.  I don't try to explain channelling or Tarot etc. as I don't have any depth of understanding of them. 

Often I have grave doubts that some practitioners themselves actually know what they are providing or perhaps it's just that they are unable to explain well enough.

Yes, absolutely, but are they practitioners? That is one of the saddest and also contrarily the greatest thing about the internet today. No training, no experience, little knowledge, but able to set up shop as a reader/medium/healer/you-name-it.

It is frustrating to say the least. But most people do not care and do not want to learn correctly nor do they wish to spend time actually learning a new art such as tarot, after all, there are so many cards to learn lol, 78 of them! And why not have a stab and spill one's gut feeling in case it is a message from a spirit, far easier to blame something that no-one else can verify? Sad really but at least there are a few like you willing to stand up and speak and make sense but I wonder how much of it is taken into the hearts of those than need it?
    Skye2

Number of posts : 19
    Registration date : 2014-04-11

Post  Skye2 Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:55 pm

mac wrote:
    Crystal wrote:Your posts are always clear and precise too Mac :)

Thank you for your kind thoughts. 

I prefer to use the words 'sitter' and 'sitting' for evidential mediumship Mac. And if using ones psychic ability or for divination practices such as tarot cards, I choose the words 'recipient' and 'reading'.  Yes, they may just be simple words however, each definition holds a significant difference in the type of information which is to be expressed by a practitioner. 

I am saddened when I see people confuse the two as they are two totally different practices that are easily explained and learnt, but, for whatever reason often misunderstood with most people. I have tried to explain these differences over the internet and at times met opposition. Nonetheless, nothing must be more disheartening to a person who seeks out a medium for evidence of our continued existence or survival, and by someone who claims to be just that, yet unfortunately turns out to be a psychic.  

RavenMoon
    RavenMoon

Female

Post  RavenMoon Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:48 pm

Surely a message passed on whether by a "psychic" or other personal method is looked on a gift and gladly received by the intended person.
    Looking down on someone because they just psychic and not 100% medium  I find it slightly  rude - we are, on this site, people from all walks of life & ways. Our gifts are just that, which ever way we express them and pass information them on. 

light &  love :cool:
    Crystal
    Crystal

Female

Post  Crystal Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:20 pm

RavenMoon wrote:Surely a message passed on whether by a "psychic" or other personal method is looked on a gift and gladly received by the intended person.
    Looking down on someone because they just psychic and not 100% medium  I find it slightly  rude - we are, on this site, people from all walks of life & ways. Our gifts are just that, which ever way we express them and pass information them on. 

You are missing the point that mac has already clearly explained.
    RavenMoon
    RavenMoon

Female

Post  RavenMoon Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:39 pm

Oh... sorry ....I will go back and re read in depth and make sure that I fully understand what mac is saying before I enter a post.
    This used to be such a nice site... whatever has happened.. :happy:  :happy:  :happy:  :happy:
    Skye2

Post  Skye2 Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:38 pm

RavenMoon wrote:Surely a message passed on whether by a "psychic" or other personal method is looked on a gift and gladly received by the intended person.

Hi Ravenmoon,

I don't see anyone looking down on anybody on this thread. Neither a medium nor a psychic is above the other, however, all mediums are psychic but not all psychics are mediums and that is the difference.

For instance a medium communicates with a spirit entity, usually a loved one that has passed, but it can also be friends and past neighbours who link to a medium. It is up to the medium to prove they are in contact with the spirit entity that they say they are, otherwise if they fail to do this people should assume the message is of a psychic nature. This does not infer the psychic is any less of a person, they are just using a different approach to get their message across.

A psychic converses with no one but themselves and the recipient. 

If I were to go to a medium I would expect them to communicate with someone I knew and/or loved.  However, if I were to visit a psychic then my expectation would be to hear information about me, which I am already aware of. They cannot tell me anything that I don't already know. They can use their intuition (psychic ability) to help guide me to reach a solution or gain understanding that I may not yet have considered. So the information gleaned from a psychic can be useful and worthwhile, but it does not come from 'Spirit' it comes from the psychics own intuition.
    Crystal
    Crystal

Female

Post  Crystal Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:32 pm

However, if I were to visit a psychic then my expectation would be to hear information about me, which I am already aware of. They cannot tell me anything that I don't already know. They can use their intuition (psychic ability) to help guide me to reach a solution or gain understanding that I may not yet have considered. So the information gleaned from a psychic can be useful and worthwhile, but it does not come from 'Spirit' it comes from the psychics own intuition.

I wonder if that is really true? Often the true psychic reader will give information that the seeker isn't aware of, yet. Intuition isn't the same as psychic ability. Everyone has an intuitive side but not many use it or even know about it lol. I don't personally believe that everyone is psychic either, or perhaps that should be to the same degree that a psychic would be to call themselves such? 

But there are more and more people that offer things like tarot readings are misleading people as they are not reading the tarot cards at all. Most can't be bothered to learn the art and just use them as a stimulus and they may as well use picture postcards or playing cards. Oops thread crossover there lol.

It's a shame when topics can't be openly discussed and strongly debated without people taking it personally. Nothing like a bit of a debate to raise the postings!
    RavenMoon
    RavenMoon

Female

Post  RavenMoon Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:06 pm

I agree Crystal .. but.... sometimes it way it is written in a post that may incur a negative response... hence why we have emotion icons on here to reflect the statement..  :peace:  that way no harm is seen to be done. 

We all have slightly different views on some topics and some members are much more wiser on those topics, but we must never belittle or make others feel small by the lack of information or learning or if we plain just get it wrong. :wink: 

I was and to a degree still am  mentored by a qualified  Medium who I met many many years ago and became a lifelong friend. :meditating: .  
    I am quite happy to cruise my way along at my own speed with my guide - where is some want to learn everything in a "crash course" of 2 weeks and declare themselves as Tarot readers and such..  :huh:  Makes me mad... :shock1:
    mac

Male

Post  mac Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Crystal wrote:
    mac wrote:

Yes, absolutely, but are they practitioners? That is one of the saddest and also contrarily the greatest thing about the internet today. No training, no experience, little knowledge, but able to set up shop as a reader/medium/healer/you-name-it.

It is frustrating to say the least. But most people do not care and do not want to learn correctly nor do they wish to spend time actually learning a new art such as tarot, after all, there are so many cards to learn lol, 78 of them! And why not have a stab and spill one's gut feeling in case it is a message from a spirit, far easier to blame something that no-one else can verify? Sad really but at least there are a few like you willing to stand up and speak and make sense but I wonder how much of it is taken into the hearts of those than need it?
    You asked "....are they practitioners?".  That's something for the supposed practitioner to consider about herself/himslf. 

Of course anyone can set up anywhere - not just online - as a practitioner of whatever.  Some may not know exactly what they are or what they are doing whereas others will....  Some will be proficient and others will be less so...

You mention Tarot and this is something I've asked about in the past, here and elsewhere.  It was disconcerting that even fewer of the very few who responded gave me the impression they understood what they were doing.  Perhaps they just couldn't explain it to me?

What matters is if their efforts mislead others - I don't care if they're misleading themselves.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:06 pm

A so-called message stands or falls on its quality and veracity.  

A message may have personal value where the communicator is known to the recipient or if a particular discarnate is known to provide helpful guidance even to those who do not know her/him.  A communication does not automatically have value simply because it has come from a discarnate.

A psychic is a psychic and not an evidential medium.  Some have different definitions of medium and mediumship but it's not looking down on anyone to want to know exactly what any practitioner actually is.....
    mac

Male

Post  mac Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:09 pm

RavenMoon wrote:Oh... sorry ....I will go back and re read in depth and make sure that I fully understand what mac is saying before I enter a post.
    Always best, I think, to make sure you understand what anyone has written - not just mac's offerings.   :love:
    Skye2

Post  Skye2 Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:11 pm

Crystal wrote:
    However, if I were to visit a psychic then my expectation would be to hear information about me, which I am already aware of. They cannot tell me anything that I don't already know. They can use their intuition (psychic ability) to help guide me to reach a solution or gain understanding that I may not yet have considered. So the information gleaned from a psychic can be useful and worthwhile, but it does not come from 'Spirit' it comes from the psychics own intuition.

I wonder if that is really true? Often the true psychic reader will give information that the seeker isn't aware of, yet. Intuition isn't the same as psychic ability. Everyone has an intuitive side but not many use it or even know about it lol. I don't personally believe that everyone is psychic either, or perhaps that should be to the same degree that a psychic would be to call themselves such? 

But there are more and more people that offer things like tarot readings are misleading people as they are not reading the tarot cards at all. Most can't be bothered to learn the art and just use them as a stimulus and they may as well use picture postcards or playing cards. Oops thread crossover there lol.

It's a shame when topics can't be openly discussed and strongly debated without people taking it personally. Nothing like a bit of a debate to raise the postings!

I have given information that people have forgotten about or have no recollection of, so yes I do understand your point regarding the passing of information, that is the seeker can receive information which they may not always be aware of - at the time of the reading.

I believe every person is psychic in as much as we are all spiritual beings. What I will say is not everyone knows about it or uses it to its full potential which leads to an array of interesting discussions and debates taking place. 

Intuition from my understanding is being aware of  the subtle differences experienced in the mind - not the same as listening to ego - and I believe this comes from me, via my higher self or true self. During a tarot session I use my intuition to help interpret the cards but as the information is coming from self, I perceive it as coming from the psychic part of my nature.  I use my psychic ability (intuition) to work alongside my heightened sense of consciousness when linking in with people living in the spirit world. Being aware that during this process a drop to the psychic level will mean I need to rise my awareness  to continue with a communicator from the world of spirit to maintain the spiritual link. 

(Thread crossover) I look at the tarot cards as a psychic tool. They are not necessary to be used for a psychic reading, they're more of a focus point. However having said this, if one chooses to use them for divination purposes and then limit ones potential in getting the most out of them, I believe a reading will reveal a persons limitations. Forums that allow practise readings can be a good learning curve for those who choose to follow the tarot path as it enables more or less instant feedback - not just a quick thank you - to be given on the readers ability by which it is hoped they can gain confidence whilst learning the art of reading tarot. I was taught that you get out of the cards what you put in, much the same as when developing mediumship. Some people have high standards whereas others appear to have very few. But I believe it's all down to education, study and lots and lots of practice before going public so to speak.

Yes, I have noticed many 'psychics' and 'mediums' vary considerably in their approach and delivery.  Perhaps this is why one should always be discerning when seeking out a medium or psychic? 
    mac

Male

Post  mac Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:19 pm

Skye2 wrote:
    Crystal wrote:

I have given information that people have forgotten about or have no recollection of, so yes I do understand your point regarding the passing of information, that is the seeker ...........oing public so to speak.

Yes, I have noticed many 'psychics' and 'mediums' vary considerably in their approach and delivery.  Perhaps this is why one should always be discerning when seeking out a medium or psychic? 
    Not easy even when one is knowledgeable about the subjects and way harder for those who aren't and not helped by practitioners who think they are one thing when actually they're something else....
    Skye2

Post  Skye2 Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:51 pm

mac wrote:
    Skye2 wrote:
    Crystal wrote:

I have given information that people have forgotten about or have no recollection of, so yes I do understand your point regarding the passing of information, that is the seeker ...........oing public so to speak.

Not easy even when one is knowledgeable about the subjects and way harder for those who aren't and not helped by practitioners who think they are one thing when actually they're something else....

I agree mac, it isn't easy for anyone. Word of mouth is usually the best way to seek a reputable practitioner but even this may not be of help to everyone.    
    Crystal
    Crystal

Female

Post  Crystal Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:25 pm

mac wrote:
    Crystal wrote:Yes, absolutely, but are they practitioners? That is one of the saddest and also contrarily the greatest thing about the internet today. No training, no experience, little knowledge, but able to set up shop as a reader/medium/healer/you-name-it.

You asked "....are they practitioners?".  That's something for the supposed practitioner to consider about herself/himslf. 

Of course anyone can set up anywhere - not just online - as a practitioner of whatever.  Some may not know exactly what they are or what they are doing whereas others will....  Some will be proficient and others will be less so...

You mention Tarot and this is something I've asked about in the past, here and elsewhere.  It was disconcerting that even fewer of the very few who responded gave me the impression they understood what they were doing.  Perhaps they just couldn't explain it to me?

What matters is if their efforts mislead others - I don't care if they're misleading themselves.

What did I miss, what did you ask about Tarot? Or should we start another thread so not to distract from mediumship?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 1:55 pm