Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

different decks different meanings?

shayn
    shayn

Female
    Number of posts : 4035
    Job/hobbies : tarot reader
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

different decks different meanings? Empty different decks different meanings?

Post  shayn Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:28 pm

today there are many kinds of decks some looks more or less the same others very different, but even those who looks more or less the same, are not the same.
    do you think the same card, lets say 7 of swords will mean the same in each and every deck? or different decks eventually give different meaning to the same card?

for myself i'm not sure i have an answer, i tend to say different meanings, or different highlighting, but i'm not sure,
    is it saying the same only in different words or is it really different meaning.

what do you think?

s
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

different decks different meanings? Empty Re: different decks different meanings?

Post  Violet Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:35 pm

I think generally if you read them as they were intended, using the book, the meaning is usually the same though some authors of the accompanying books might offer a slightly different perspective of that card.

I don't use a book so sometimes your example of seven of swords might say something completely different every time I use it.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    shayn
    shayn

Female
    Number of posts : 4035
    Job/hobbies : tarot reader
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

different decks different meanings? Empty Re: different decks different meanings?

Post  shayn Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:27 pm

hi, i don't use the book i trust mostly my intuition, but i do read what the books tell us, and yes most books refer to the waite-smith deck.
    so when using only intuition, each time you may get a different meaning to the same card even from the same deck.
    but when looking on the same card, 7 of swards or 4 of cups or whatever, from different decks, i think, not sure but have a feeling they do not hold the same meaning and each deck has a slightly different meaning.
    does it matter, i don't know. as eventually i think each reader creates his or her own language with the cards.
    for me, as i work with different decks and sometimes at the same time... well questions pop up, but while a reading everything become clear... i find it the beauty of it, that a reading somehow sets everything into place.

s
    Topaz
    Topaz

Female
    Number of posts : 119
    Registration date : 2011-05-21

Post  Topaz Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:19 am

I read using oracle cards and the same card rarely means the same thing twice. I see the cards as a pointer to the direction that the reading is to start from, and then let the cards do the talking, if you see what I mean. Even if the same person had another reading at a later date, and the same card was pulled, it could still have a different meaning from the first time round....................unless the person hasn't dealt with the issue from the first time around, and then it's acting like a gentle reminder (or a kick up the rear, whichever is more appropriate lol)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:54 pm