Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
jimrich
1antique
Aqua
Knight of Albion
RavenMoon
Cassy7
ameliorate
mayflow
jcam@sii
mac
SpiritVoices
feather
skye
gilly
Violet
19 posters

I had some 'door knockers' the other day

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

I had some 'door knockers' the other day Empty I had some 'door knockers' the other day

Post  Violet Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:03 pm

I'm not sure which 'religion' they were as I didn't give them much chance, as soon as they said they were from 'such and such' a place, I said 'no thank you' and closed the door on them, it really annoys me when people think it's ok to come religiously harassing you at home, I wouldn't dream of knocking on a strangers' door and shoving my beliefs down their throat.I had some 'door knockers' the other day 671114

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

BigJohn likes this post

gilly
    gilly

Male
    Number of posts : 851
    Job/hobbies : Writing Sci/Fi and Fantasy
    Registration date : 2011-11-11

I had some 'door knockers' the other day Empty Re: I had some 'door knockers' the other day

Post  gilly Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:11 pm

Violet wrote:I'm not sure which 'religion' they were as I didn't give them much chance, as soon as they said they were from 'such and such' a place, I said 'no thank you' and closed the door on them, it really annoys me when people think it's ok to come religiously harassing you at home, I wouldn't dream of knocking on a strangers' door and shoving my beliefs down their throat.I had some 'door knockers' the other day 671114

Hi Violet

The problem is that these people TRULY believe they know the full truth and they must 'SAVE' the rest of us!! If I truly believed someone was about to 'TOP' themselves - I would try every means to stop them!! So I cannot condem them!!!

However I have found that with one group in particular--If you invite them in and offer tea/coffe--and then tell them you are a spiritualist--BOY DO THEY RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!

PPLLnL

Peter
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

I had some 'door knockers' the other day Empty Re: I had some 'door knockers' the other day

Post  Violet Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:25 pm

and then tell them you are a spiritualist--BOY DO THEY RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!

The one and only time I told them that, years ago now they were very interested, luckily I hadn't got to the point of asking them in so I was able to make a polite excuse and go back into the house.

I do know a Spiritualist who certain members of a certain religion visit on a regular basis and they have lengthy discussions over a cup of tea.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    skye

Female
    Number of posts : 1256
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

Post  skye Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:40 pm

I remember telling one religious person who called at my house that I was a Spiritualist. He backed off down the path and said he would pray for me. If I would have had the nerve I would have said to him "and I you", instead I just closed the door laughing at his comment.
    feather
    feather

Female
    Number of posts : 1166
    Registration date : 2010-07-07

Post  feather Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:13 am

We are about 300km from our service town of about 22,000 people...and yes we get some of these too....they arrive in 4 wheel drives.

Sometimes they come as a couple with a child dressed in her Sunday best clothes...and I think they play the psychological card because...to turn them away after such a long rough and dusty drive makes me feel like a real churl. Usually they leave a magazine and if I have time, I invited them in for a cup of tea. My husband 'makes himself scarce' but I haven't found any real problem after the initial reference to the Bible is out of the way. I just explain that we have our own beliefs but they are welcome to have a chat and a cup of tea.

One day, however I really lost my cool and was a bit rude. It was a really windy and hot and dusty day in the middle of Summer...so dusty that visibility was down to about a hundred meters, the air conditioners weren't working and I had dust everywhere on the verandahs and I was trying to clean up because visitors were coming....quite a hell actually.

To think about it , I laugh now...because this group of people appeared on the door step and the opening line was..."Have you ever stopped to think what a paradise we have on Earth"???

I did not see his point that day!!! There wasn't time for a cuppa!
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:13 am

gilly wrote:
    Violet wrote:I'm not sure which 'religion' they were as I didn't give them much chance, as soon as they said they were from 'such and such' a place, I said 'no thank you' and closed the door on them, it really annoys me when people think it's ok to come religiously harassing you at home, I wouldn't dream of knocking on a strangers' door and shoving my beliefs down their throat.I had some 'door knockers' the other day 671114

Hi Violet

The problem is that these people TRULY believe they know the full truth and they must 'SAVE' the rest of us!! If I truly believed someone was about to 'TOP' themselves - I would try every means to stop them!! So I cannot condem them!!!

However I have found that with one group in particular--If you invite them in and offer tea/coffe--and then tell them you are a spiritualist--BOY DO THEY RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!

PPLLnL

Peter

Oh boy,that really makes them run!

I had some 'door knockers' the other day 809779
    mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  mac Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:20 am

If I'm by myself when they call I'll invite 'em in for a cuppa and a biscuit. My wife gets angry when I do so it's only if I'm by myself.

I like to play with 'em - LDS or whatever denomination - but I NEVER tell 'em what my own persuasion is. They have answers for virtually every such situation so you'll never get the better of an experienced one by disclosing what/who you are.

I insist, though, that they do not quote 'chapter and verse' - their words only
    because they are accustomed to parroting a quote for every situation. I also insist on 'no props'. No leather-bound Bibles, no books, magazines or whatever...That levels the playing field. I had some 'door knockers' the other day 368832

Next I invite 'em to join me in prayer - it's one I wrote. I had some 'door knockers' the other day 451437 By that point the balance has begun to swing my way rather than theirs - I say 'theirs' as it's almost always two or more individuals but on one occasion a single person came which was unusual. By the time I'd finished two hours later he looked relieved to get away. Mostly a couple can just about deal with me.... I had some 'door knockers' the other day 9062

I haven't had many call for quite a time - wonder why that is?
    I had some 'door knockers' the other day 1702
    gilly
    gilly

Male
    Number of posts : 851
    Job/hobbies : Writing Sci/Fi and Fantasy
    Registration date : 2011-11-11

Post  gilly Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:03 am

mac wrote:If I'm by myself when they call I'll invite 'em in for a cuppa and a biscuit. My wife gets angry when I do so it's only if I'm by myself.

I like to play with 'em - LDS or whatever denomination - but I NEVER tell 'em what my own persuasion is. They have answers for virtually every such situation so you'll never get the better of an experienced one by disclosing what/who you are.

I insist, though, that they do not quote 'chapter and verse' - their words only
    because they are accustomed to parroting a quote for every situation. I also insist on 'no props'. No leather-bound Bibles, no books, magazines or whatever...That levels the playing field. I had some 'door knockers' the other day 368832

Next I invite 'em to join me in prayer - it's one I wrote. I had some 'door knockers' the other day 451437 By that point the balance has begun to swing my way rather than theirs - I say 'theirs' as it's almost always two or more individuals but on one occasion a single person came which was unusual. By the time I'd finished two hours later he looked relieved to get away. Mostly a couple can just about deal with me.... I had some 'door knockers' the other day 9062

I haven't had many call for quite a time - wonder why that is?
    I had some 'door knockers' the other day 1702

Mac I do believe your on their black list--just as I am!!!

Unfortunately I have just moved a long way from where I was and will have to start over again in the spring!

PPLLnL

Peter
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:00 pm

The worst I ever had was one gentleman who refused to stop talking even with his foot jambed in the door.

I couldn't believe the stubbornness of the man.

My poor old dad,kindhearted soul,invited then in,gave them a cuppa and mum found him on his knees praying when she returned from the whist drive.

One look from her and they were out of the door!I had some 'door knockers' the other day 257922

Not a word was spoken.

I had some 'door knockers' the other day 114597
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    mayflow
    mayflow

Number of posts : 894
    Job/hobbies : Electronics, RF energy, test equipment
    Registration date : 2013-12-03

Post  mayflow Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:52 pm

Probably Jehova Witnesses. I don't believe in what they believe in so far as science and the Bible stuff goes, but they seem peaceful and well meaning to me, and that means a lot to me. 

Of course I do not have to believe in the religion they do, but I do believe in peace and well meaning - and this searches to the heart.
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female
    Number of posts : 3603
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

Post  ameliorate Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:45 pm

I tend to take a couple of approaches when Jehovah's witnesses ring my doorbell.

1. I tell them that what they do is patronising, i.e. presupposes that who they call in either has no faith or
    that their faith does not matter.  They never have an answer to this and look like they have never been told this.

2. I tell them that, according to science, matter/energy can be neither created of destroyed.  This seems to not
    compute with what they have been taught....you can almost see them trying to assimilate this!  Again, they
    never have a reply to this.  I usually then slowly close the door whilst they are still trying to work out a response.
    Cassy7
    Cassy7

Female
    Number of posts : 369
    Job/hobbies : Retired. I love walking my dogs by the sea, gardening and researching my family tree.
    Registration date : 2013-07-12

Post  Cassy7 Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:53 pm

Strange this subject should come up.  In my local paper is an article about the Watchtower Victims Memorial Day (which can be found on FB) and it is today 26 July.  Here it is:

2014 marks the inaugural year of Watchtower Victims Memorial Day to be held annually on July 26th. People from around the globe are invited to use this opportunity to demonstrate their unconditional love for the friends and family that have been lost to the Watchtower organization. This is a day of remembrance for the tens of thousands that have died at the hands of the Watchtower as a result of it's harmful policies including extreme shunning, ban on certain medical treatments, mishandling of child abuse cases, lack of support for victims of domestic violence and other situations ending in the loss of life. 

Mark the date: July 26th – Watchtower Victims Memorial Day

Here is how you can participate:

Leave a flower and a card with a few words of love and remembrance at the front entrance of the nearest Kingdom Hall or Assembly Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. Take some pictures or even make a video in front of the Kingdom Hall or Assembly Hall and post to this page.

Feel free to invite others to participate and please share your photos and stories right here. 

We hope to have people across the globe joining with us to commemorate those who have been lost to the Watchtower.

Please join us on July 26th to remember our loved ones.

Watchtower Victims Memorial Day – We Will Remember.

Resonator likes this post

ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:08 pm

Wow!  No wonder why they look so unhappy and lost (to me at least).  I knew about refusing blood transfusions.

Here is slightly more info on them (practically the same link as Cassy's but a bit more detailed).

http://jwvictims.org/watchtower-victims-memorial-day-july-26th/

Looks like we'll all now have more that we can ask them should they call round....   :SH:

Cassy7
    Cassy7

Female
    Job/hobbies : Retired. I love walking my dogs by the sea, gardening and researching my family tree.

Post  Cassy7 Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:31 pm

My best friend at school was a Jehovah's Witness - I know that her parents arranged her (unhappy) marriage.  She committed suicide in her 40's. Also a Jehovah's Witness lady that came door to door in my village committed suicide.
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:04 pm

Very sad Cassy....wonder why.  Is it that they truly believe the indoctrination so see no way out
    or that to leave this cult would mean ostracisation and all their social contact is within that movement?

Why hasn't this kind of thing been broadcast/aired?  I never knew about this cesspool of misery, did you?

Last edited by ameliorate on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correcting a mispelt word)
    Cassy7
    Cassy7

Female

Post  Cassy7 Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:23 am

ameliorate wrote:Very sad Cassy....wonder why.  Is it that they truly believe the indoctrination so see no way out
    or that to leave this cult would mean ostracisation and all their social contact is within that movement?

Why hasn't this kind of thing been broadcast/aired?  I never knew about this cesspool of miser, did you?
    I think there was something on TV a couple of years ago about it.  I've always known about it because of the friend I had, but didn't know until recently how bad it is.  
    mayflow
    mayflow

Number of posts : 894
    Job/hobbies : Electronics, RF energy, test equipment
    Registration date : 2013-12-03

Post  mayflow Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:29 pm

I actually discussed with them for once a week (for about 18 months) when they would come to visit. I read the Bible completely through and could discuss that with them. They are still people you know, if even in a particular cult, but most everyone is in some cult or another. Families can be cults as well as school groups and workplace groups. There are still individual beings within these groups and we really are all quite individuals just as not even any two snowflakes can be identical and like you cannot step in the same stream in the same water twice- Part of what makes the world so vastly interesting. 

The problem with being locked into a cult of any sort, is it takes away from innate uniqueness and individuality, and that cannot be for me.

SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:14 am

True! The faithful in heart don't need to attend church,it is all inside us where the true feelings lie....
    RavenMoon
    RavenMoon

Female
    Number of posts : 585
    Job/hobbies : fulltime and lots of interests
    Registration date : 2012-05-06

Post  RavenMoon Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:15 pm

Had a strange  comment come into mind  when after I read the title ,,, lolo

Anyone remember Stephen Kings Book the Tommy Knockers..

It was the rhyme that went with the movie..
    "tommy knockers, tommy knockers - knocking at the door.... etc etc

:goodvibes:  :goodvibes:  Just thought I would share....
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:19 pm

I can remember the title and reading the book but can't remember the story now.....Refresh me...lol
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:53 pm

jcam@sii wrote:''i wanna nicer relate, i wanna go to church'' 'says mini myself' or says younger me. i wanna guys to keep their hot-rods healthy specially after church. 'did you have fun at church?' ''made me say hey! when everybody goes ho!'' said Prophet Ghandi.
    Had a chuckle there.    :happy:
    Knight of Albion
    Knight of Albion

Male
    Number of posts : 568
    Registration date : 2013-12-18

Post  Knight of Albion Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:39 pm

mayflow wrote:Probably Jehova Witnesses. I don't believe in what they believe in so far as science and the Bible stuff goes, but they seem peaceful and well meaning to me, and that means a lot to me. 

Of course I do not have to believe in the religion they do, but I do believe in peace and well meaning - and this searches to the heart.

A wonderful answer.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:11 pm