Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
mac
mayflow
Auras
7 posters

Spirit Guide vs Power animal vs Animal Totem vs Spirit Animal

Auras

Male
    Number of posts : 2027
    Registration date : 2012-05-06

Spirit Guide vs Power animal vs Animal Totem vs Spirit Animal - Page 2 Empty Spirit Guide vs Power animal vs Animal Totem vs Spirit Animal

Post  Auras Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

The differences between a spirit guide and a power animal. Well, Technically their is no difference because a power animal is a spirit guide in animal form. According to shamanic journeying when you enter a altered state of conscious. They may show negativity towards since that animal is a part of you. So all its doing is reflecting your emotions so you know what you're up against. We can have upto 7 of these. All with different meanings to them.  If you work with them on a regular basis then you will that your person life will be getting better and better due to the amount of support you are getting from this power animal. According to te native americans they call them animal totems or spirit animals. But it all terms, they merely mean the same thing.
    Thunder Bow
    Thunder Bow

Male
    Number of posts : 800
    Job/hobbies : Reactivated
    Registration date : 2013-12-02

Spirit Guide vs Power animal vs Animal Totem vs Spirit Animal - Page 2 Empty Re: Spirit Guide vs Power animal vs Animal Totem vs Spirit Animal

Post  Thunder Bow Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Medicine_Dog wrote:
    I think that is like playing with concepts that conflict so just play some street fighter or Teeken with it.

Tis the problem with learning "shamanism"... When all the cultures practices are mixed into one term they tend to contradict themselves. Most of what is gleamed from shamanic practices is the ritualistic ceremonies-- hence the typical image of a half naked shaman dancing around a campfire with a drum. 

It's also why some people focus on the "shamanic journey" but disregard the herbal, physical, mental, emotional, conjuring, nature's law, and tribal laws. All of which are integral to the medicine man's knowledge. 

* round one- power animal vs totem animal....... FIGHT! 

Hollywoods image, is the typical image of the Shaman dancing around a campfire. The Journey, is the typical image created by the New Age movement. Then there are tons of definitions of a Shaman in books and on the internet. The real meaning of the Shaman is lost.
    Auras

Male
    Number of posts : 2027
    Registration date : 2012-05-06

Spirit Guide vs Power animal vs Animal Totem vs Spirit Animal - Page 2 Empty Re: Spirit Guide vs Power animal vs Animal Totem vs Spirit Animal

Post  Auras Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:17 pm

Did I miss something? Ahwell its not my problem anyway mac lol.
    mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  mac Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Auras wrote:Did I miss something? Ahwell its not my problem anyway mac lol.

Before your time but you missed nothing.

Interchanges were acrimonious and unpleasant. They'll still be there to read but there's probably little to be gained and I hope similar subjects don't get raised again with similar outcomes...
    Medicine_Dog
    Medicine_Dog

Male
    Number of posts : 56
    Job/hobbies : Native Medicine
    Registration date : 2013-12-06

Post  Medicine_Dog Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:03 am

Thunder_Bow wrote:The real meaning of the Shaman is lost.

Why I don't doubt the true meaning being lost(due to personal language problems and cultural issues) in the native Evenki language shaman means "holy man". 

Evenki is part of the Manchu-Tungus sub-group of Altaic languages and has about 20,000 speakers. It is spoken in the Evenki Autonomous District, or Evenkia (Эведы Автомоды Округ) in Russia, and also in parts of China and Mongolia. Approximately 45% of the Evenki people consider Evenki their mother tongue. Most of the speakers are elderly and the younger generation lack a thorough knowledge of the language. This is because until 1980 the Russian government tried to suppress the Evenki language, but since then Evenki has been taught in schools.
    Evenki, which is also known as Evenk, Avenki, Avenk or Tungus, has much in common with Mongolian and related languages. It has been strongly influenced by Yakut, Buryat and Russian.
    Evenkia is the remotest inhabited part of Siberia. Until the 1930s, the Evenki people were mainly nomadic hunters and reindeer herders. Today hunting and reindeer herding are still important, but they are also involved in argriculture and industry.
    The English word "shaman" comes from the Evenki word meaning "holy man".
    Evenki was first written during the 1920s with a version of the Cyrillic alphabet. In China it is written the Latin alphabet, and used to be written with the Traditional Mongolian script.

Referenced: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/evenki.htm

And above all of that-- If someone claims they title of shaman without the correct "holy man" work; it's no different then me going to the Vatican in my breach-cloth and telling the pope "I got this".... 

Other than that, I'm cool with it...:cool:
    Thunder Bow
    Thunder Bow

Male

Post  Thunder Bow Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:12 pm

I can't compare a Shaman with the Pope or other learned men, who studied what ever over the ages. It is not about memorizing sacred texts, the names of sacred herbs, traditional text and ritual. Or by doing "Correct Holy Man Work".

The real Path of the Shaman actually starts with the Story Of Jumping Mouse as told in the Book Seven Arrows by H. Storm.
    Medicine_Dog
    Medicine_Dog

Male
    Number of posts : 56
    Job/hobbies : Native Medicine
    Registration date : 2013-12-06

Post  Medicine_Dog Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:43 am

Perhaps my analogy was over the top :wink: ,what I was eluding to was that one doesn't just become holy by dreaming or having a vision. There is work involved, we can agree to that can't we? 

As far as to whether or not it's appropriate to use the word shaman out of context, I consider it cultural appropriation.

How do we distinguish between “appropriate” forms of cultural exchange and cultural appropriation?

I think it starts with respect, as long as the exchange is done in a respectful fashion it is just that-- an exchange. I don't think it's respectful to the ancient Siberians, nor to the other medicine people who get labeled shamans out of convenience to Westerners.  :rant: 

What Cultural Exchange Is Not:

One of the reasons that cultural appropriation is a hard concept to grasp is that Westerners are used to pressing their own culture onto others and taking what they want in return. We tend to think of this as cultural exchange when in actuality  it’s no more an exchange than demanding cultures to adopt their own ideals while at the same time burrowing aspects of the culture they seek to change.  :SH: 

The fact is, Western culture invites and, at times, demands assimilation. Not every culture has chosen to open itself up to being adopted by outsiders. Because of this, I consider it inappropriate to steal the term "shaman" and define it in a different way than the the original culture.. 

In my opinion this equals culture appropriation and is ethically wrong. But it's too late to change now, it's taken root and became another example of how one sided exchanges between Western culture tend to be.  

My culture has it's own name for medicine men, I need not another term to describe them with. 

To each their own I reckon.. :scratch:
    Thunder Bow
    Thunder Bow

Male

Post  Thunder Bow Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:32 am

The Path one follows to become a "Shaman" is a personal one, and each path is indeed different.
    Wisa'ka
    Wisa'ka

Male
    Number of posts : 285
    Registration date : 2012-03-26

Post  Wisa'ka Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:56 pm

mac wrote:
    Auras wrote:What do you mean mac?

This member is well known from past times for his 'unusual' approach to forum discussions....  He knows what I mean as will some others who also know him

What exactly do you mean, mac?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:33 am