Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Violet
psychoslice
Blueanchor
7 posters

Meditation - a general interest thread.

Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Number of posts : 1189
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

Meditation - a general interest thread. - Page 2 Empty Meditation - a general interest thread.

Post  Blueanchor Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

I started meditating about 20 years ago because, at that time,  I felt the need to find peace and I knew somehow that it was within. I read about meditation and got as far as the line that says....switch off your thoughts.... and found that I couldnt do that... my thoughts had a lot to say. Then I bought a guided meditation tape (yes a tape lol) but I found that I just listened to the soft voice and relaxed, but didnt find peace. I tried music to meditate to and that helped for a short while. 

Then I gave up tryjng to meditate, but I realised that just having that short time each day to sit quietly and relax felt good. So thats what I did and in time, I drifted quite naturally into a meditative state. Over the years the meditative state became deeper (or higher - depending on which way you look at it) and without defining any specific intention, my time out took me into some different states.

Sometimes I would enter a dream state and would go on a journey that would offer some teaching or understanding from it. Sometimes, I would feel lkke I was floating higher and higher and would reach a state that I felt was healing. Other times I would be in a state of concious notningness. And at times I would just fall asleep. Because of these experiences, Ive come to trust that time out to bring about what I need. So I am often a little dubious about meditating with intention to reach something specific.

I have tried different types of meditation practise and really enjoyed them. I particularly enjoy meditating with others... that is quite special. But more often than not, I still just sit quietly and trust.

Im interested in hearing about other peolles experiences with meditation.
    Gemmy
    Gemmy

Male
    Number of posts : 56
    Job/hobbies : Weightlifting
    Registration date : 2017-10-29

Meditation - a general interest thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

Post  Gemmy Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:02 am

Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    No. Its about being open to the unknown. Even considering the possibility that there is unknown.
    Ok, I don't see that involves imagining anything, though.
    From what I can work out from those that have followed eastern philosophies and religions, I wonder if the translation of words for thought or imagination dont translate well nto English. Wherever it has come from, I do feel that the benefits of of deep thought or contemplation and imagination have become lost in spirituality. Though I recognise that there are benefits to letting go of mind chatter and gaining perspective of perception.
    Often Eastern terminology can't be accurately translated.  In that the spiritual precedes thought there is no way of working it out, but in the meditations I have found there are long chains of thought that start to unwind, and contemplation isn't really an effort of thought as much as it a free flow of thought, and imagination is what the mind does, so we know the nature of thought is, in essence, incredible.  Once it is seen to be fundamentally untrue, it loses its importance, so we can think or not think for all the difference it makes, and that to me is a mind that's free to think, and also free of its own thoughts.
    Yes, thats how I understand thought. Although I do interpret imagination in a different way.
    Interesting, please elaborate.
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Meditation - a general interest thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

Post  Blueanchor Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:03 am

Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Ok, I don't see that involves imagining anything, though.
    From what I can work out from those that have followed eastern philosophies and religions, I wonder if the translation of words for thought or imagination dont translate well nto English. Wherever it has come from, I do feel that the benefits of of deep thought or contemplation and imagination have become lost in spirituality. Though I recognise that there are benefits to letting go of mind chatter and gaining perspective of perception.
    Often Eastern terminology can't be accurately translated.  In that the spiritual precedes thought there is no way of working it out, but in the meditations I have found there are long chains of thought that start to unwind, and contemplation isn't really an effort of thought as much as it a free flow of thought, and imagination is what the mind does, so we know the nature of thought is, in essence, incredible.  Once it is seen to be fundamentally untrue, it loses its importance, so we can think or not think for all the difference it makes, and that to me is a mind that's free to think, and also free of its own thoughts.
    Yes, thats how I understand thought. Although I do interpret imagination in a different way.
    When its allowed to flow without thought controlling it, then imagination becomes a language that conveys a primordial essence of being. Imagination doesnt pretend to be real or true, yet it reflects what the human mind cant describe into the metaphoric representations that it can.
    Amore
    Amore

Female
    Number of posts : 36
    Job/hobbies : Teaching, Piano, etc
    Registration date : 2017-11-19

Post  Amore Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:01 pm

I’ve enjoyed reading comments & getting ideas.

BlueAnchor,
    What you mentioned about trusting without a specific intention makes sense.  Thanks.  Subconsciously we have hopes & fears, and I’m all for learning and goals, but I think there is wisdom in letting go and letting God (or higher spirit) guide in what’s most needed.

I’m in the process of collecting helpful symbols.  When I’ve dreamt, I’ve sometimes looked up meaning in this dream dictionary (there’s one online too).  So I thought, “maybe it works in reversal - I can kindof give my subconscious mind ideas to work with.”  I’m not sure if it will help or not, but I do think symbols can sometimes communicate what words can’t.
    Gemmy
    Gemmy

Male

Post  Gemmy Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:18 pm

Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    When its allowed to flow without thought controlling it, then imagination becomes a language that conveys a primordial essence of being. Imagination doesnt pretend to be real or true, yet it reflects what the human mind cant describe into the metaphoric representations that it can.
    So we address the facet of control mainly, and without control as you say is interesting because it contradicts the 'typical narrative' on meditation...
    psychoslice
    psychoslice

Male
    Number of posts : 1117
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  psychoslice Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:55 pm

Can I ask, why do you meditate, not what the books say, but why you yourself meditate, simple question but is there a simple answer ?.
    Gemmy
    Gemmy

Male

Post  Gemmy Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:16 am

psychoslice wrote:Can I ask, why do you meditate, not what the books say, but why you yourself meditate, simple question but is there a simple answer ?.
    Well, meditation itself isn't really something anyone does.  It's more like an awareness of what already is.
    psychoslice
    psychoslice

Male

Post  psychoslice Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:51 am

Gemmy wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:Can I ask, why do you meditate, not what the books say, but why you yourself meditate, simple question but is there a simple answer ?.
    Well, meditation itself isn't really something anyone does.  It's more like an awareness of what already is.
    Yes I found that out also, just that many have different reasons and its interesting to hear them. I found when i started to meditate that I was trying to force myself into silence, not realizing I was already that, thanks Gemmy boy. :astar:
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Post  Blueanchor Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:44 am

Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    So we address the facet of control mainly, and without control as you say is interesting because it contradicts the 'typical narrative' on meditation...
    In what way?
    psychoslice
    psychoslice

Male

Post  psychoslice Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:13 am

Myself I don't mediate anymore, I see my life as a meditation, and it works for me. :med:
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Post  Blueanchor Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:21 pm

psychoslice wrote:Myself I don't mediate anymore, I see my life as a meditation, and it works for me. :med:
    How has it changed how you see life or meditation?
    psychoslice
    psychoslice

Male

Post  psychoslice Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:42 am

Blueanchor wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:Myself I don't mediate anymore, I see my life as a meditation, and it works for me. :med:
    Well since my experience in so called Oneness my life has changed, I no longer let the past rule my life, or the future that is only a dream. I enjoy being by myself ans have many hobbies, the blissfulness that I experience is still resonating through my life everyday, and so I no longer need to meditate, but it certainly was a great stepping stone.
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    psychoslice
    psychoslice

Male

Post  psychoslice Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:44 am

Meditation - a general interest thread. - Page 2 Dsc00010
    gigpdo wrote:

Give this man a "cupee doll",.lol,.:happy:

:soap: :cat:
    Oh yes, I haven't seen one of those for years, I love dolls, I even make them as a hobby. :bfs:
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Post  Blueanchor Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:48 am

psychoslice wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Well since my experience in so called Oneness my life has changed, I no longer let the past rule my life, or the future that is only a dream. I enjoy being by myself ans have many hobbies, the blissfulness that I experience is still resonating through my life everyday, and so I no longer need to meditate, but it certainly was a great stepping stone.
    Its good thaf youve found a way to change your life and move on from your past. 

For me, meditation isnt a method of practise towards a goal, it is simply allowing the meditative state to occur.... rather than stepping stone to somewhere or something. In that way, its part of life as are other natural states. I dont try to make them happen, nor try to stop them happening. What is, is.
    psychoslice
    psychoslice

Male

Post  psychoslice Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:21 am

Blueanchor wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Its good thaf youve found a way to change your life and move on from your past. 

For me, meditation isnt a method of practise towards a goal, it is simply allowing the meditative state to occur.... rather than stepping stone to somewhere or something. In that way, its part of life as are other natural states. I dont try to make them happen, nor try to stop them happening. What is, is.
    Yes I agree, and that's a nice way of putting it.
    psychoslice
    psychoslice

Male

Post  psychoslice Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:26 am

gigpdo wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:Meditation - a general interest thread. - Page 2 Dsc00010
    gigpdo wrote:

Give this man a "cupee doll",.lol,.:happy:

Oh yes, I haven't seen one of those for years, I love dolls, I even make them as a hobby. :bfs:
    Cool!,my sister in law has the same hobby,but she lives in "pomgolia", lol,
    But your doll is very well done,I like it!
    My love of cupee dolls comes from an old movie,an Aussie movie, a movie that I still wait to come on free to air tv.
    "The Summer of the Seventeenth Doll", what a brilliant piece of art,hence my reference to the "cupee doll"!

Gee that's an old movie, its actually on you-tube if you want to download it.
    Gemmy
    Gemmy

Male

Post  Gemmy Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:07 am

Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    In what way?
    Typical meditation narratives advocate controlling the mind.
    Gemmy
    Gemmy

Male

Post  Gemmy Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:15 am

psychoslice wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Yes I found that out also, just that many have different reasons and its interesting to hear them. I found when i started to meditate that I was trying to force myself into silence, not realizing I was already that, thanks Gemmy boy. :astar:
    Yes, most teachers are selling that through some sort of method.
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Post  Blueanchor Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:00 pm

Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    In what way?
    Yes, there are few narratives that dont advocate a particular way but its only ever one way that one human being found beneficial and other people followed.
    psychoslice
    psychoslice

Male

Post  psychoslice Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:44 pm

Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    In what way?
    Yes, there are few narratives that dont advocate a particular way but its only ever one way that one human being found beneficial and other people followed.
    This is true, just because someone uses a way that helped them doesn't mean everyone has to follow that particular way, the Buddha is only a man who after quite awhile became enlightened, but he isn't the only one many have became enlightened without ever know the Buddha, or Siddhartha Gautama which is his real name.
    Blueanchor
    Blueanchor

Post  Blueanchor Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:00 am

psychoslice wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    In what way?
    This is true, just because someone uses a way that helped them doesn't mean everyone has to follow that particular way, the Buddha is only a man who after quite awhile became enlightened, but he isn't the only one many have became enlightened without ever know the Buddha, or Siddhartha Gautama which is his real name.
    Some dont even believe that enlightenment is any more that a moment of realising something that we didnt realise the moment before. 

Your own narrative is no different.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:58 am