Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Runes

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Runes Empty Runes

Post  Violet Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:10 pm

Are any of you familiar with Rune stones? I've seen a few people who are excellent with these, I can do them but only with the book so far :blush:

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    1antique
    1antique
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3378
    Job/hobbies : Searching For The Truth
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Runes Empty Re: Runes

Post  1antique Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:07 pm

I have a friend who reads runes. I will see if I can get here to share her knowledge. She is also bordering on being an expert on herbal healing...and still so young!

She and I have known each other in the physical for a mere 3 years, but our spirits are totally intertwined and go back further than either of us can remember...in essence, we have known each other in spirit forever. A very beautiful warrior.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:19 pm

Thanks Allen, she sounds a special soul :hugz:

shayn
    shayn

Female
    Number of posts : 4035
    Job/hobbies : tarot reader

Post  shayn Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:32 pm

hi Violet
    i allways wanted to learn about Runes, i should get myself a set, and maybe there is a possiblity to learn online together somehow? i have few books...have a rune class once a week? maybe?
    gwenddydd
    gwenddydd

Female
    Number of posts : 60
    Job/hobbies : Sailing, runes, reading, writing, jui-jitsu, herbs , horsebackriding, dancing.
    Registration date : 2009-02-26

Post  gwenddydd Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:46 pm

:blush:
    Well since Allen has been bragging about me... here I am. He just got me onto the old sight and he was sweet enough to tell me about the move. Thnx for that hun :love: .
    He´s not completly wrong I do seem to have a knack with runes. I generally use the Elder Futhark, though there are others, and I do love herbs.
    If anyone´s interested I can get some general info on Runes up in here. Say a general introduction, and I´ll awnser any questions I can. :angel:
    Just let me know!
    Love
    Gwen
    shayn
    shayn

Female

Post  shayn Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:02 pm

Hi gwenddydd
    thank you this will be great!!!!
    and wellcome

shayn
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:02 pm

shayn wrote:hi Violet
    i allways wanted to learn about Runes, i should get myself a set, and maybe there is a possiblity to learn online together somehow? i have few books...have a rune class once a week? maybe?

Shayn make your own set :grin: get a good straight branch (from the floor not the tree) get some kind bloke to saw it up into discs for you and paint or burn the symbols on, Failing that a brush handle is good :grin:

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:03 pm

gwenddydd wrote::blush:
    Well since Allen has been bragging about me... here I am. He just got me onto the old sight and he was sweet enough to tell me about the move. Thnx for that hun :love: .
    He´s not completly wrong I do seem to have a knack with runes. I generally use the Elder Futhark, though there are others, and I do love herbs.
    If anyone´s interested I can get some general info on Runes up in here. Say a general introduction, and I´ll awnser any questions I can. :angel:
    Just let me know!
    Love
    Gwen

That would be great thank you :hugsquish:

gwenddydd
    gwenddydd

Female
    Job/hobbies : Sailing, runes, reading, writing, jui-jitsu, herbs , horsebackriding, dancing.

Post  gwenddydd Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:19 pm

Well here it goes, remember you asked for it:

Most people that know Runes today know of them because of J.R.R. Tolkien. He incorporated runes as a dwarven form of scripture as can be seen in the Hobbits introduction and the maps that originally go with Tolkiens work. Though J.R.R. Tolkien used runes he was hardly the first to do so, nor was he the last to. Tolkien was however very fond of Norse Mythology and as such could hardly have overlooked runes.

Originally runes are a pre-alphabetic form of writing, also used for divining. They were used mainly by Scandinavian and Germanic peoples. There is much discussion about their origins and their age. In Norse Mythology it is said the origin of runes lie in the divine.

The ancient Norse poem Hávamál explains that the divine knowledge of runes was given to the people by Odin. Though it came at a price as most things worth having. I have inserted two pieces of this ancient poem to give you an idea. These parts of the Hávamál describe how Odin received the runes through self-sacrifice:

Veit ek at ek hekk vindga meiði a

netr allar nío,

geiri vndaþr ok gefinn Oðni,

sialfr sialfom mer,

a þeim meiþi, er mangi veit, hvers hann af rótom renn.

I know that I hung on a windy tree

nine long nights,

wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin,

myself to myself,

on that tree of which no man knows from where its roots run

Við hleifi mik seldo ne viþ hornigi,

nysta ek niþr,

nam ek vp rvnar,

opandi nam,

fell ek aptr þaðan.

No bread did they give me nor a drink from a horn,

downwards I peered;

I took up the runes,

screaming I took them,

then I fell back from there.

There is much discussion in general about the true origin of the runic script and its age. Some believe it predates even Phoenician script, other state that it was in fact derived from early Greek and Latin alphabets. So I’ll leave that in the middle for now. What is sure is that the earliest Runic inscriptions that have survived to the modern day dated from around 200 CE.

Because runic script is a pre-alfabetic script, runic series where not called alphabets which are named after the first to letters in the latin alphabet, alpha & beta. Futharks are named after the first six runes in the series.

Fehu (F), Uruz(U), Thurisaz(TH), Anzus(A), Rhaido(R) and Kenaz(K).

As you may have noticed Thurisaz is not just one letter, it is a combination of two, this is typical of the runic Futharks as they , unlike the modern alphabets are based on phonetics. Runes are not really merely letters, number and symbols, they represent sounds.

The Elder Futhark consists of 24 letters, 18 consonants and 6 vowels, as illustrated in the following chart:
    Runes Edrfthr2
    This was a very general introduction. I can do one of two thing's, after I've tried to awnser any question you may have sofar... I can tell you about the different runic series there are. Or I can get into the meaning of the above runes (Elder Futhark) first. It's up to you :)
    Hope this helps.
    Love
    Gwen
    gwenddydd
    gwenddydd

Female

Post  gwenddydd Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:24 pm

Btw I agree with Violet completely! My set is made from a willowtree branche, it fell from one of my fav trees when lightning struck it, I handsawed the pieces to lol, partially, after a while my stepdad got tired of watchinh me fumble and toolk over, he was done in second. Their about a thumb thick and 2,5 centimeters in diameter ;)
    If you want something simpler, use clay, just don't throw those to hard, they break easily. :)
    :ghug:
    Gwen
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:25 pm

Wow thanks for this gwenddydd, perhaps the above runes first if everyone is happy with that? It's very generous of you to share your knowledge with us, there's no rush mind, just as and when :hugsquish:

gwenddydd
    gwenddydd

Female

Post  gwenddydd Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:32 pm

You're most welcome, and it my pleasure. What would I do with what I know if not sharing it :)
    Btw, if you want me to, I'll be more then happy to do something like this with herbs(as long as it sticks to those on the nothern hemisphere of the planet, beyond that my knowledge gets shaky). Just lemme know.
    Love
    Gwen
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:43 pm

That would be lovely :grin: I'm sure I've created a section on such things somewhere

1antique
    1antique
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3378
    Job/hobbies : Searching For The Truth

Post  1antique Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:52 pm

Gwen, my friend
    Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your knowledge with us. In my humble opinion of how you should share....as always....the way that you feel best....and my feeble mind will attempt to follow as best as I am able.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:54 pm

Allen!!! Your mind is not feeble :eek: :naughty:

gwenddydd
    gwenddydd

Female

Post  gwenddydd Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:31 pm

Feeble :tong: sure! :rofl:
    This is an extract from a website I used when I was just getting started it is just a general overview of each rune in the elder furthark.

Freya Aett

Runes FehuFehu (F: Domestic cattle, wealth.) Possessions won or earned, earned income, luck. Abundance, financial strength in the present or near future. Sign of hope and plenty, success and happiness. Social success. Energy, foresight, fertility, creation/destruction (becoming). Fehu Reversed or

Merkstave: Loss of personal property, esteem, or something that you put in effort to keep. It indicates some sort of failure. Greed, burnout, atrophy, discord. Cowardice, stupidity, dullness, poverty, slavery, bondage.

Runes UruzUruz: (U: Auroch, a wild ox.) Physical strength and speed, untamed potential. A time of great energy and health. Freedom, energy, action, courage, strength, tenacity, understanding, wisdom. Sudden or unexpected changes (usually for the better). Sexual desire, masculine potency. The shaping of power and pattern, formulation of the self.

Uruz Reversed or Merkstave: Weakness, obsession, misdirected force, domination by others. Sickness, inconsistency, ignorance. Lust, brutality, rashness, callousness, violence.

Runes ThurisazThurisaz: (TH: Thorn or a Giant.) Reactive force, directed force of destruction and defense, conflict. Instinctual will, vital eroticism, regenerative catalyst. A tendency toward change. Catharsis, purging, cleansing fire. Male sexuality, fertilization. (Thorr, the Thunder god, was of Giant stock.)

Thurisaz Reversed or Merkstave: Danger, defenselessness, compulsion, betrayal, dullness. Evil, malice, hatred, torment, spite, lies. A bad man or woman. Rape?

Runes AnsuzAnsuz: (A: The As, ancestral god, i.e. Odin.) A revealing message or insight, communication. Signals, inspiration, enthusiasm, speech, true vision, power of words and naming. Blessings, the taking of advice. Good health, harmony, truth, wisdom.

Ansuz Reversed or Merkstave: Misunderstanding, delusion, manipulation by others, boredom. Vanity and grandiloquence. (Odin is a mighty, but duplicitous god. He always has his own agenda.)

Runes RaidhoRaidho: (R: Wagon or chariot.) Travel, both in physical terms and those of lifestyle direction. A journey, vacation, relocation, evolution, change of place or setting. Seeing a larger perspective. Seeing the right move for you to make and deciding upon it. Personal rhythm, world rhythm, dance of life.

Raidho Reversed or Merkstave: Crisis, rigidity, stasis, injustice, irrationality. Disruption, dislocation, demotion, delusion, possibly a death.

Runes KenazKenaz: (K: Beacon or torch.) Vision, revelation, knowledge, creativity, inspiration, technical ability. Vital fire of life, harnessed power, fire of transformation and regeneration. Power to create your own reality, the power of light. Open to new strength, energy, and power now. Passion, sexual love.

Kenaz Reversed or Merkstave: Disease, breakup, instability, lack of creativity. Nakedness, exposure, loss of illusion and false hope.

Runes GeboGebo: (G: Gift.) Gifts, both in the sense of sacrifice and of generosity, indicating balance. All matters in relation to exchanges, including contracts, personal relationships and partnerships.

Gebo Merkstave (Gebo cannot be reversed, but may lie in opposition): Greed, loneliness, dependence, over-sacrifice. Obligation, toll, privation, bribery.

Runes WunjoWunjo: (W or V: Joy.) Joy, comfort, pleasure. Fellowship, harmony, prosperity. Ecstasy, glory, spiritual reward, but also the possibility of going "over the top". If restrained, the meaning is general success and recognition of worth.

Wunjo Reversed or Merkstave: Stultification, sorrow, strife, alienation. Delirium, intoxication, possession by higher forces, impractical enthusiasm. Raging frenzy, berzerker.
    gwenddydd
    gwenddydd

Female

Post  gwenddydd Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:32 pm

Heimdalls Aett

Runes HagalazHagalaz: (H: Hail.) Wrath of nature, destructive, uncontrolled forces, especially the weather, or within the unconscious. Tempering, testing, trial. Controlled crisis, leading to completion, inner harmony.

Hagalaz Merkstave (Hagalaz cannot be reversed, but may lie in opposition): Natural disaster, catastrophe. Stagnation, loss of power. Pain, loss, suffering, hardship, sickness, crisis.

Runes NauthizNauthiz: (N: Need.) Delays, restriction. Resistance leading to strength, innovation, need-fire (self-reliance). Distress, confusion, conflict, and the power of will to overcome them. Endurance, survival, determination. A time to exercise patience. Recognition of one's fate. Major self-initiated change. Face your fears.

Nauthiz Reversed or Merkstave: Constraint of freedom, distress, toil, drudgery, laxity. Necessity, extremity, want, deprivation, starvation, need, poverty, emotional hunger.

Runes IsaIsa: (I: Ice.) A challenge or frustration. Psychological blocks to thought or activity, including grievances. Standstill, or a time to turn inward and wait for what is to come, or to seek clarity. This rune reinforces runes around it.

Isa Merkstave (Isa cannot be reversed, but may lie in opposition): Ego-mania, dullness, blindness, dissipation. Treachery, illusion, deceit, betrayal, guile, stealth, ambush, plots.

Runes JeraJera: (J or Y: A year, a good harvest.) The results of earlier efforts are realized. A time of peace and happiness, fruitful season. It can break through stagnancy. Hopes and expectations of peace and prosperity. The promise of success earned. Life cycle, cyclical pattern of the universe. Everything changes, in its own time.

Jera Merkstave (Jera cannot be reversed, but may lie in opposition): Sudden setback, reversals. A major change, repetition, bad timing, poverty, conflict.

Runes EihwazEihwaz: (EI: Yew tree.) Strength, reliability, dependability, trustworthiness. Enlightenment, endurance. Defense, protection. The driving force to acquire, providing motivation and a sense of purpose. Indicates that you have set your sights on a reasonable target and can achieve your goals. An honest man who can be relied upon.

Eihwaz Reversed or Merkstave: Confusion, destruction, dissatisfaction, weakness.

Runes PerthroPerthro: (P: Lot cup, vagina.) Uncertain meaning, a secret matter, a mystery, hidden things and occult abilities. Initiation, knowledge of one's destiny, knowledge of future matters, determining the future or your path. Pertaining to things feminine, feminine mysteries including female fertility, and vagina. Good lot, fellowship and joy. Evolutionary change.

Perthro Reversed or Merkstave: Addiction, stagnation, loneliness, malaise.

Runes AlgizAlgiz: (Z or -R: Elk, protection.) Protection, a shield. The protective urge to shelter oneself or others. Defense, warding off of evil, shield, guardian. Connection with the gods, awakening, higher life. It can be used to channel energies appropriately. Follow your instincts. Keep hold of success or maintain a position won or earned.

Algiz Reversed: or Merkstave: Hidden danger, consumption by divine forces, loss of divine link. Taboo, warning, turning away, that which repels.

Runes Sowilo Sowilo: (S: The sun.) Success, goals achieved, honor. The life-force, health. A time when power will be available to you for positive changes in your life, victory, health, and success. Contact between the higher self and the unconscious. Wholeness, power, elemental force, sword of flame, cleansing fire.

Sowilo Merkstave (Sowilo cannot be reversed, but may lie in opposition): False goals, bad counsel, false success, gullibility, loss of goals. Destruction, retribution, justice, casting down of vanity. Wrath of god.
    gwenddydd
    gwenddydd

Female

Post  gwenddydd Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:33 pm

Tyrr's Aett

Runes TiwazTiwaz: (T: Tyr, the sky god.) Honor, justice, leadership and authority. Analysis, rationality. Knowing where one's true strengths lie. Willingness to self-sacrifice. Victory and success in any competition or in legal matters.

Tiwaz Reversed or Merkstave: One's energy and creative flow are blocked. Mental paralysis, over-analysis, over-sacrifice, injustice, imbalance. Strife, war, conflict, failure in competition. Dwindling passion, difficulties in communication, and possibly separation.

Runes BerkanoBerkano: (B: Berchta, the birch-goddess.) Birth, general fertility, both mental and physical and personal growth, liberation. Regenerative power and light of spring, renewal, promise of new beginnings, new growth. Arousal of desire. A love affair or new birth. The prospering of an enterprise or venture.

Berkano Reversed or Merkstave: Family problems and or domestic troubles. Anxiety about someone close to you. Carelessness, abandon, loss of control. Blurring of consciousness, deceit, sterility, stagnation.

Runes EhwazEhwaz: (E: Horse, two horses.) Transportation. May represent a horse, car, plane, boat or other vehicle. Movement and change for the better. Gradual development and steady progress are indicated. Harmony, teamwork, trust, loyalty. An ideal marriage or partnership. Confirmation beyond doubt the meanings of the runes around it.

Ehwaz Reversed or Merkstave: This is not really a negative rune. A change is perhaps craved. Feeling restless or confined in a situation. Reckless haste, disharmony, mistrust, betrayal.

Runes MannazMannaz: (M: Man, mankind.) The Self; the individual or the human race. Your attitude toward others and their attitudes towards you. Friends and enemies, social order. Intelligence, forethought, create, skill, ability. Divine structure, intelligence, awareness. Expect to receive some sort of aid or cooperation now.

Mannaz Reversed or Merkstave: Depression, mortality, blindness, self-delusion. Cunning, slyness, manipulation, craftiness, calculation. Expect no help now.

Runes LaguzLaguz: (L: Water, or a leek.) Flow, water, sea, a fertility source, the healing power of renewal. Life energy and organic growth. Imagination and psychic matters. Dreams, fantasies, mysteries, the unknown, the hidden, the deep, the underworld. Success in travel or acquisition, but with the possibility of loss.

Laguz Reversed or Merkstave: An indication of a period of confusion in your life. You may be making wrong decisions and poor judgements. Lack of creativity and feelings of being in a rut. Fear, circular motion, avoidance, withering. Madness, obsession, despair, perversity, sickness, suicide.

Runes IngwazIngwaz: (NG: Ing, the earth god.) Male fertility, gestation, internal growth. Common virtues, common sense, simple strengths, family love, caring, human warmth, the home. Rest stage, a time of relief, of no anxiety. A time when all loose strings are tied and you are free to move in a new direction. Listen to yourself.

Ingwaz Merkstave (Ingwaz cannot be reversed, but may lie in opposition): Impotence, movement without change. Production, toil, labor, work.

Runes DagazDagaz: (D: Day or dawn.) Breakthrough, awakening, awareness. Daylight clarity as opposed to nighttime uncertainty. A time to plan or embark upon an enterprise. The power of change directed by your own will, transformation. Hope/happiness, the ideal. Security and certainty. Growth and release. Balance point, the place where opposites meet.

Dagaz Merkstave (Dagaz cannot be reversed, but may lie in opposition): A completion, ending, limit, coming full circle. Blindness, hopelessness.

Runes OthalaOthala: (O: Ancestral property.) Inherited property or possessions, a house, a home. What is truly important to one. Group order, group prosperity. Land of birth, spiritual heritage, experience and fundamental values. Aid in spiritual and physical journeys. Source of safety, increase and abundance.

Othala Reversed or Merkstave: Lack of customary order, totalitarianism, slavery, poverty, homelessness. Bad karma, prejudice, clannishness, provincialism. What a man is bound to.

Just to get you started this should do just fine, once you start working with runes, you will see they all have quite a lot of character and when you combine them unexpected things may happen.
    Love

Gwen
    shayn
    shayn

Female

Post  shayn Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:03 pm

thank you gwen
    one BIG question, how do you remember all that by heart?
    i think the need to remeber the meaning of each sign was/is the biggest probelm for me with trying to learn about the runes. unlike the cards there aren't any images here only abstruct signs..
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:26 pm

Gonna butt in here :grin: Firstly Gwen thank you so much for that :hugsquish:

Shayn the best way imo is to practice, practice, practice offer readings to your friends and relatives you'll soon learn all the meanings doing that and using the above as guidance.
    You'll be looking for each stone to begin with but soon you'll find you need to look less and less, and giving those readings is a much more enjoyable way to memorise them than just reading it over and over as it will vary every time, add to that a growing confidence with every reading you do.
    You can practice in here if you want to as the info is to hand and our members i'm sure would be willing, let me know and i'll set you a thread up, our members will not mock or rubbish your readings they will encourage you and be honest with their feedback.
    As your confidence grows further i'm sure that your own intuition will kick in and you'll be a great rune reader in no time. You could also draw a rune a day for yourself for guidance :grin:

gwenddydd
    gwenddydd

Female

Post  gwenddydd Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:54 am

:giggles: That would have been my awnser exactly, Vi so no problem.
    Iits no good to memorize them outright, they will never have reall meaning for you. Use them, they are usefull for more then just one thing.
    I even spend some time meditating on a single rune :blush: it seems to help focus and to get to know a rune better.

Love

Gwen
    shayn
    shayn

Female

Post  shayn Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:52 pm

thank you Gwen and Violet
    i allways sort of felt uncomfortalbe giving someone a reading while needing to hold the instruction book at hand. so i thinkViolet i will take your offer, but not right now, i will make my runes first and get to know them a little and then at the right time i will take your offer. thank you :huga:
    Gwen, you wrote the runes can be used for many things, i know it is possible to use rune in spells and magic...and it can be used as a writing method....but i would love to hear more about what and how to use the runes... thank you
    gwenddydd
    gwenddydd

Female

Post  gwenddydd Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:25 pm

Your welcome Shayn,

I used to feel uncomfterble as well, when giving reading, but I was lucky enough to have a place like this, and some people that like those here, will appreciate even, just the effort of the reading, enough to respect you and thank you for trying.

As I got more and more familiar with the runes I use, my confidence grew and now I greet them as old friends.

Making your own runes is a great idea, its a good way to get to know them each as well. If you make each rune by hand and as you are, are aware of its meaning that will go a long way in getting to know them.

Before you craft a set of runes, please have a look arround for the different futharks. They differ in shape and essence, though not in the extreme. I use the elder futhark, but there is also a younger futhark, an anglosaxon futhark, a frysian futhark, and there are even Armanen Runes, though I wouldn´t suggest those last ones to anyone, but then even the best things can be miss-used....

If you like I could tell you about each of the different futharks, it generally good to know what your options are :giggles:

:astar:

Gwen
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:25 am

enough to respect you and thank you for trying.

This is a part of what we're aiming for here :hugz: we want people to learn and grow from this site and I know for a fact that our current members will do everything in their power to encourage and support everyone

shayn
    shayn

Female

Post  shayn Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:32 am

thank you Gwen
    i'm sorry it took me a while to answer i was away...too much work this week :(
    yes, i would like to hear about the different futharks,
    doint my own runes, i'm not sure how i feel about it. i would love to do it, but i just don't feel ready. and living in the city i don't know where i would find some wood, still i guess on the right time the right material will appear in my life. and i also feel i need some peace and quiet to create something like this, and right now there is no peace nor quiet in my life. so all in good time, i guess. but i would love to hear more if you don't mind. and actually i put my mind on a set or runes, so maybe i would just buy them...

thanks again,
    shayn

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:42 pm