Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
gilly
CW
feather
Violet
1antique
SpiritVoices
mac
11 posters

What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh?

mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 2 Empty What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh?

Post  mac Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:17 am

First topic message reminder :

Christmas is coming and with it comes all the gooey, sentimental tripe, synthetic love, gaudy imported decorations, retail madness and absurd over-idulgence that our western society demands to 'celebrate' Christmas.

Throw into this mix a fantasy story about someone born two millennia ago. Teach children the nonsense that Jesus came to save the world and was the 'Son of God'. Boost the collective mania by singing carols with a theme which is totally opposite to that of Spiritualism's simple message.

It's hard, of course, not to travel that same road we've been walking since the time we were tiny, a road we were conditioned to walk by parents, grandparents, schooling and the dictates of society.

Oh it doesn't matter, it's just a bit of fun for the kids, it doesn't do 'em any harm to believe in Santa - it's Christmas! You've all heard this stuff - you might even say the same yourself. And it is right that believing in Santa is a bit of fun for small kids. Left at that its fine. Trouble is all the Christmassy stuff gets mixed and muddled in a child's mind and years later those kids have become adults who are then totally muddled about Jesus and God and Christmas and Easter and....well you get my point.

Spiritualism? Oh yes. That's what I was getting to. Spiritualism? Isn't that all about getting message at the spooks church?

Does Spiritualism really have anything to say about Jesus and about Christmas?

mac

Male

What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 2 Empty Re: What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh?

Post  mac Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:48 pm

CW wrote:"Why lie when the truth will do?" "Why lie when you'll need a clean up crew later on down the road to repair the damages the lie has made?"

WHY THE LIE? I believe in Jesus Christ, weather born December 25th or not it doesn't matter to me, nor did I teach it to matter to my children. I did not tell them the Santa lie, the born in December lie, the buying gifts at Christmas lie and so on..... They seem to be much happier people as a result of the truth of knowing that we do have physic ability, there are non-physical energy forces around us and that if they ever encounter it as I have it is okay to talk about it with me. By the way; both my children have experienced and are enlightened to spiritual existence.

I must be honest with you mac "truth is still being revealed to me therefore I can not give what I don't have." I also teach them that some truths are basic and some are formed as we grow throughout life. Since a small child I was denied answers, acknowledgment, and was even forbidden to speak of spirits. Even though I could see, hear, smell and sometimes even touch them and they could touch me. Today I'm some what better with my fear of being alone especially in the dark. It was not until I was in my forties that I encountered kindreds such as Violet. afterwards, I found relief, understanding, enlightenment and even growth. I believe all is spiritual, be it your birthday, Jesus birthday, ground hog day, St. Patrick's day, or my personal favorite "EVERYDAY!" What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 2 368832

The lie stops with me!

Love to all...

I gotta be honest - I don't understand any of this....
    gilly
    gilly

Male
    Number of posts : 851
    Job/hobbies : Writing Sci/Fi and Fantasy
    Registration date : 2011-11-11

What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 2 Empty Re: What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh?

Post  gilly Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:19 pm

CW

I understand what you are saying. Please correct me if I am wrong about any of what you have said.

Society always builds a story around great people and events. To the point that it becomes a lie.

For example(avoiding the religeous bit for now) The current Father Christmas is so far from the original he has become a lie for me(maybe not for some of you). The original Father Christmas was St. Nicholas who gave presents to the young children in his village and local area, he delivered them in a sleigh as his part of northern europe was snow bound at this time of year. In 1908 the concept was adopted for an advert for Coca Cola in the USA. They clad him in a red suit and gave him a large white beard. It was a success Father Christmas became Santa Clause as we now know him.

Some may not understand why this is apalling to some of us! But as CW says the lie can stop here--teach the true meaning of christmas whatever your personal beliefs--loving and giving towards all mankind. How you wrap it up at the end of the day does not matter. But please do not tell me that this is what modern society is now doing--it is sadly only a minority of us.

PPLLnL

Peter
    CW
    CW

Female
    Number of posts : 734
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Post  CW Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Sorry I lost you mac, this post was truly written for my own edification, a reflection of how much I've grown. As a child I was taught to accept Christianity and deny Spiritualism. Today I am a better person now that I'm no longer denying Spiritualism which is apart of who I' AM.

Regarding your question; What does Spiritualism have to do with Christmas? my answer is
    I believe all is spiritual, be it your birthday, Jesus birthday, ground
    hog day, St. Patrick's day, or my personal favorite "EVERYDAY!" What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 2 368832
    Therefore the practice of Spiritualism is constant for me, it happens with or without my acknowledgment. I don't know if you understand this or not but this has been my life experience. For this reason I have taught and raised my children the in the way of Spiritualism. They both seem to be happier and more in tuned with themselves.

Love to all.
    CW
    CW

Female

Post  CW Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:44 pm

Thank you gilly, I agree with you the true spirit of Christmas should be demonstrated in our everyday walk of life and not just once a year as designed for big business.

Love to all.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:12 pm

CW wrote:Sorry I lost you mac, this post was truly written for my own edification, a reflection of how much I've grown. As a child I was taught to accept Christianity and deny Spiritualism. Today I am a better person now that I'm no longer denying Spiritualism which is apart of who I' AM.

Regarding your question; What does Spiritualism have to do with Christmas? my answer is
    I believe all is spiritual, be it your birthday, Jesus birthday, ground
    hog day, St. Patrick's day, or my personal favorite "EVERYDAY!" What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 2 368832
    Therefore the practice of Spiritualism is constant for me, it happens with or without my acknowledgment. I don't know if you understand this or not but this has been my life experience. For this reason I have taught and raised my children the in the way of Spiritualism. They both seem to be happier and more in tuned with themselves.

Love to all.

little further forward...
    mac

Male

Post  mac Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:14 pm

CW wrote:Thank you gilly, I agree with you the true spirit of Christmas should be demonstrated in our everyday walk of life and not just once a year as designed for big business.

Love to all.

or as said in posting #22: "....surely a good way to celebrate it is to give with abundance. Why
    not give with abundance at all times and we'd celebrate the words of
    teacher/healer Jesus and spread the message of Spiritualism continually -
    not just transiently on an arbitrary date....?"

Last edited by mac on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CW
    CW

Female

Post  CW Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:32 pm

or as siad in posting #22: "....surely a good way to celebrate it is to give with abundance. Why

I totally agree with you here mac, I have old philosophy's such as "What goes around comes around." Not that I would give just so I could receive. It's very liberating, especially in this economy not to be concerned about Christmas toys, gifts, sitting in church and school all week because of Christmas programs. The one thing I dislike the most is parents feeling desperate and depressed because they can't afford to buy their child that $400.00 electronic game. Afraid that the child will feel unloved because they've been conditioned to equate love with money. For these reasons I'm extremely grateful for Spiritualism during Christmas.
    feather
    feather

Female
    Number of posts : 1166
    Registration date : 2010-07-07

Post  feather Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:23 pm

Maybe it is time to lighten up and just accept and enjoy...'what is'....whatever the interpretation.

I like the fun of the Santa Clause thing and loved it as a child and still do. I love birthdays too. I'm for more fun and lightness in life....a little gem of givingness and thought about other people, that provides a respite to the heaviness and self concern that can run everyday life....my opinion only for what it is worth...
    gilly
    gilly

Male

Post  gilly Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:51 pm

mac wrote:
    CW wrote:Thank you gilly, I agree with you the true spirit of Christmas should be demonstrated in our everyday walk of life and not just once a year as designed for big business.

Love to all.

or as said in posting #22: "....surely a good way to celebrate it is to give with abundance. Why

Hi mac

I am so so confused--this post places 'us' as 'one'!! Yet you so often come over as the 'opposition'!!

This goes beyond 'semantics'!!

I will think on it--???

PPLLnL

Peter
    mac

Male

Post  mac Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:58 am

[quote="feather"]

Maybe it is time to lighten up and just accept and enjoy...'what is'....whatever the interpretation. There's no reason why you shouldn't lighten up as you suggest - if things are too heavy for you, just leave 'em be. But I don't have a problem with any of it....

I like the fun of the Santa Clause thing and loved it as a child and still do. I love birthdays too. I'm for more fun and lightness in life....a little gem of givingness and thought about other people, that provides a respite to the heaviness and self concern that can run everyday life....my opinion only for what it is worth...whatever gets you through the night....
    mac

Male

Post  mac Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:03 am

gilly wrote:
    mac wrote:

Love to all.

Hi mac

I am so so confused--this post places 'us' as 'one'!! Yet you so often come over as the 'opposition'!!

I will think on it--???

PPLLnL

Peter

the "opposition", Peter? What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 2 558648

The opposition to what....????

SHIDADWhat does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 2 45824
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:53 am

mac wrote:
    gilly wrote:
    mac wrote:

Love to all.

Hi mac

I will think on it--???

PPLLnL

Peter

the "opposition", Peter? What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 2 558648

The opposition to what....????

SHIDADWhat does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 2 45824

Sorry off topic. What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 2 160943

I wish someone would tell me what 'Shidad' means.

What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 2 81488
    mac

Male

Post  mac Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:38 pm

Sorry off topic. What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 2 160943

I wish someone would tell me what 'Shidad' means.

Shaking Head In Dismay And Disbelief - SHIDAD! It relates to what I find myself figuratively doing at what's sometimes/often said in discussion threads....
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Just read the meaning on other site.

What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 2 809779

Excellent word,I must remember that!
    feather
    feather

Female
    Number of posts : 1166
    Registration date : 2010-07-07

Post  feather Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:24 am

mac wrote:

Shaking Head In Dismay And Disbelief - SHIDAD! It relates to what I find myself figuratively doing at what's sometimes/often said in discussion threads....

Hi mac. I'll add my bit here. Peter said he sees you as in 'opposition' sometimes....and I know where he is coming from.

I would put it to you this way.

I give my opinion when I answer or add to a thread...as you do and everyone else does too.

The reponse that comes from each of us is a personal view point and is neither right or wrong because it is unique to each of us...and comes from our own experiences of life. Sometimes it is difficult to find an agreement about what is meant... but that opinion is worthy of being respected....many people who really have something worth considering just won't add unless this happens.

And yet so often I get the feeling, when you respond, that...You are the teacher marking the correctness of the work of a class of school children.... works that have no correct answer. And it actually makes me feel discounted....as if my opinion isn't worth anything.

I do agree with you however, that anyone who feels the heat doesn't have to take part in a heavy discussion...very true. You would think that I would have learnt my lesson by now....but I couldn't let this one go without explaining my thoughts.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:57 am

[quote="feather"]

Hi mac. I'll add my bit here. Peter said he sees you as in 'opposition' sometimes....and I know where he is coming from. I would put it to you this way.

I give my opinion when I answer or add to a thread...as you do and everyone else does too. I disagree. I'm not doubting you when you say you give your opinion but how do you know what others doing? I have opinions on many issues - abortion, capital punishment, the teaching of phonics as part of learning to read, how dyslexia problems are best addressed etc. These are indeed opinions because there isn't a single approach which is right or best in each situation. When I discuss such issues it will be my opinion....

The response that comes from each of us is a personal view point and is neither right or wrong because it is unique to each of us.. Personal viewpoints are fine (as I see 'em) where no authoritative teaching has been given. Take string theory, the multiverse, parallel dimensions, quantum theory - each is a subject on which there is no clear consensus, no authoritative teaching - on each one may express an opinion knowing that there is no better information available. .and comes from our own experiences of life. Sometimes it is difficult to find an agreement about what is meant... but that opinion is worthy of being respected....many people who really have something worth considering just won't add unless this happens. I'm careful always to speak for myself, about myself, and I don't profess to know why others do, or don't, contribute to any discussion/debate. How do you know that, quote: "many people who really have something worth considering just won't add unless this happens"? It's just as easy to say that they don't give voice because they're afraid they won't be able to support what they say - how do we know what others think? I see matters this way. What I can't support or defend I won't speak about UNLESS I say it's my guess or I make it a suggestion. I don't need anyone to respect what I say but I do expect not to be trashed on a personal level (as often happens). I'll accept any amount of challenge to whatever I say but not to my character. Others appear to feel that what they write should not be challenged - I disagree.

And yet so often I get the feeling, when you respond, that...You are the teacher marking the correctness of the work of a class of school children.... works that have no correct answer. And it actually makes me feel discounted....as if my opinion isn't worth anything. I can't change how you feel about me save to say what I have. And when you say "- works that have no correct answer." might it be because you haven't found the answer, perhaps haven't looked in the place where there is an answer? Saying what you do discounts what others have to say, others who may have done their research and found there actually is an answer? What then? Must one pussy-foot because someone else holds an opinion? I think not. All response can be challenged and that goes for mine. I see that as sacrosanct in any open discussion area.

I do agree with you however, that anyone who feels the heat doesn't have to take part in a heavy discussion...very true. You would think that I would have learnt my lesson by now....but I couldn't let this one go without explaining my thoughts. Learned your lesson? What lesson? You've said what you feel and why not? In return I've responded to your words - isn't that what discussion forums are truly about - not just reading without comment?
    mac

Male

Post  mac Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:49 am

and furthermore, quote:

"And yet so often I get the feeling, when you respond, that...You are the teacher marking the correctness of the work of a class of school children....."

really?
    Compare the piece below with my matter-of-factual responses to other contributors' ideas - it's what I was told recently in another thread - quote:

Sorry 'mac'

you need to tune in!

Life here on the earth plane as human beings is what we are!! We are part physical and part spiritual!

The 'afterlife' is no vague term--it is where we go when our human physical life has ended!

Life
    is our human physical term in the 3 dimensional earth plane! The
    afterlife is where we go after that 3 dimensional earth plane
    finishes--I believe it is 'HOME'! but will not argue with those that do
    not accept this.

You must first accept the physical and spiritual parts of us humans before you can even begin to understand!

Sorry to be so blunt--BUT IT IS SO!! (my formatting for emphasis)

Now tell me who's behaving like a teacher.
    gilly
    gilly

Male

Post  gilly Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:25 pm

mac wrote:and furthermore, quote:

"And yet so often I get the feeling, when you respond, that...You are the teacher marking the correctness of the work of a class of school children....."

really?
    Compare the piece below with my matter-of-factual responses to other contributors' ideas - it's what I was told recently in another thread - quote:

Sorry 'mac'

you need to tune in!

Life here on the earth plane as human beings is what we are!! We are part physical and part spiritual!

The 'afterlife' is no vague term--it is where we go when our human physical life has ended!

Life
    not accept this.

You must first accept the physical and spiritual parts of us humans before you can even begin to understand!

OH DEAR sorry mac

But I AM A TEACHER and have been for over 40 years!!!

I am who I am! AND I will keep expressing my opinion even if I muddle up occasionally who said what.

PPLLnL

Peter
    mac

Male

Post  mac Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:25 pm

gilly wrote:
    mac wrote:and furthermore, quote:

really?

Sorry 'mac'

you need to tune in!

Life
    not accept this.

OH DEAR sorry mac

I am who I am! AND I will keep expressing my opinion even if I muddle up occasionally who said what.

PPLLnL

Peter

Ah, now I see - it's OK to lecture others on what they need to do - you're a teacher. Of course! I never thought of that, gilly....

And no need to apologise when you're in the wrong like ordinary folk do - you're a teacher.

duh - Why didn't I see that? I'm just a dumbo -
    you're a teacher!

Sorry feather I got it all wrong. Being factual in what you say doesn't matter - when you're a teacher.

On that basis I could do the same in future.
    gilly
    gilly

Male

Post  gilly Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:35 pm

OH DEAR sorry mac

PPLLnL

Peter[/quote]

Ah, now I see - it's OK to lecture others on what they need to do - you're a teacher. Of course! I never thought of that, gilly....

Maybe that is part of the problem--maybe you should think more--but not just with your brain-you need to use the empathy you have but do not like touse!

And no need to apologise when you're in the wrong like ordinary folk do - you're a teacher.

Sorry mac but I did apologise--but to everyone on this thread--not to you personaly

duh - Why didn't I see that? I'm just a dumbo -
    you're a teacher!

The one thing you ARE NOT is a dumbo! I go back to the 'empathy' ability--use it!

Sorry feather I got it all wrong. Being factual in what you say doesn't matter - when you're a teacher.
    Not a fair comment mac--we are expressing opinions you have said much in all sorts of threads 'where is the proof?' Often you have to go with what you know is right--its called 'faith'

On that basis I could do the same in future.
    [/quote]

But you will not mac--because the other thing you are NOT is a hypocrit!

You are a nice person mac--just let it show from time to time.

PEACE-PATIENCE-LOVE-LIGHT and above all MUCH LAUGHTER

Peter
    gilly
    gilly

Male

Post  gilly Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:57 pm

mac wrote:Christmas is coming and with it comes all the gooey, sentimental tripe, synthetic love, gaudy imported decorations, retail madness and absurd over-idulgence that our western society demands to 'celebrate' Christmas.

Throw into this mix a fantasy story about someone born two millennia ago. Teach children the nonsense that Jesus came to save the world and was the 'Son of God'. Boost the collective mania by singing carols with a theme which is totally opposite to that of Spiritualism's simple message.

It's hard, of course, not to travel that same road we've been walking since the time we were tiny, a road we were conditioned to walk by parents, grandparents, schooling and the dictates of society.

Oh it doesn't matter, it's just a bit of fun for the kids, it doesn't do 'em any harm to believe in Santa - it's Christmas! You've all heard this stuff - you might even say the same yourself. And it is right that believing in Santa is a bit of fun for small kids. Left at that its fine. Trouble is all the Christmassy stuff gets mixed and muddled in a child's mind and years later those kids have become adults who are then totally muddled about Jesus and God and Christmas and Easter and....well you get my point.

Spiritualism? Oh yes. That's what I was getting to. Spiritualism? Isn't that all about getting message at the spooks church?

Does Spiritualism really have anything to say about Jesus and about Christmas?

Lets stop squabbling and return to the excellent questions raised in the first post on this thread.

I am a spiritualist but still pay lip service to the christmas season--I am not sure why when I think about it!!

I am a spiritualist because I have come to know for certain that we all survive this physical plane of existence. I have been given proof many times over--enough times to know it is not a coincidence.

I have posted before that I believe Jesus existed around 2011 years ago. he was a 'TEACHER' and probably the worlds greatest 'HEALERS'. He was the son of God in as far as I accept we are all part of God.

The real problem for Spiritualists-(and yes for all Christians maybe) is that all the evidence points to his birth being sometime around the end of March and the beginning of April!!!

Add to this the hi-jacking of the whole thing by the capitalist machine and I think I can give a definitive answer for this particular Spiritualist!

It has no positive meaning at all! It is a time of overspending, over eating and over drinking.

PPLLnL

Peter
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:04 pm

Well said,Peter.

And so true. My idea of Xmas is having a quiet day,a small Xmas lunch and a snooze after.

Then hopefully a little comedy on the telly in the evening,enough to keep me laughing.

What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 2 28115
    Karin
    Karin

Female
    Number of posts : 392
    Registration date : 2011-06-28

Post  Karin Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:24 pm

I was over three decades a "Christian" and still annoys me, what the Christian church made of Jesus and Christmas.

Jesus was very spiritual, he was enlightened. And I like to celebrate his birthday the Christian Church illogically has set on 25.12.. (Do anyone here know why it's the 25.12.? Whenever I ask Christians they don't know it. I also have to investigate...)

I'm not ready to believe in ALL teachings of the Christian Church. This man was/is so wonderful that it is not necessary to ascribe to him more miracles than necessary or to conceal things which have awarded him TOO.

Incidentally I celebrate Christmas for years on my way in silence and in peace. Without the tremendous hype that fabricated the public.

Karin
    gilly
    gilly

Male

Post  gilly Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:34 pm

Karin wrote:I was over three decades a "Christian" and still annoys me, what the Christian church made of Jesus and Christmas.

Jesus was very spiritual, he was enlightened. And I like to celebrate his birthday the Christian Church illogically has set on 25.12.. (Do anyone here know why it's the 25.12.? Whenever I ask Christians they don't know it. I also have to investigate...)

I'm not ready to believe in ALL teachings of the Christian Church. This man was/is so wonderful that it is not necessary to ascribe to him more miracles than necessary or to conceal things which have awarded him TOO.

Incidentally I celebrate Christmas for years on my way in silence and in peace. Without the tremendous hype that fabricated the public.

Hi Karin

The early church struggled against the Druid and Pagan religeons in most of northern Europe. These religions celebrated the mid-winter solstice on December 21 in a big way. It is suspected that December 25 was -as it turned out- a very successful attempt at hi-jacking this very important Pagan festival.

The real problem as I see it is the second hi-jacking by the capitalist system--just listen to the news at this time -what is the main concern about Christmas??? How much are we spending? Is it more or less than last year?

PPLLnL

peter

Karin
    Karin
    Karin

Female
    Number of posts : 392
    Registration date : 2011-06-28

Post  Karin Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi Peter,

You're right in your remarks on the early Christian church.

But I read they have taken the 25.12., because this would be the estimated date of christs birth... because it was assumed that Mary received him in the day-night-equal, in March.

By the way, the 21.12. is MY Birthday, ha ha ha...

The real problem as I see it is the second hi-jacking by the capitalist
    system--just listen to the news at this time -what is the main concern
    about Christmas??? How much are we spending? Is it more or less than last year?

That's right too. I share your opinion. And that's the reason why my familiy (in the times I had a family on this plane) and I celebrated christmas in a

We-barricaded-ourselves-and-do-not-answer-the-phone-and-enjoy-way.

Buying all stuff already before, spending the day in pajamas, reading, having fun, watching movies and having afternoon naps. Some little gifts for the dears and no kin visits!!!

These were the most spiritual christmas parties I've ever had.

Karin

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:47 pm