Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
gilly
CW
feather
Violet
1antique
SpiritVoices
mac
11 posters

What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh?

mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 3 Empty What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh?

Post  mac Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:17 am

First topic message reminder :

Christmas is coming and with it comes all the gooey, sentimental tripe, synthetic love, gaudy imported decorations, retail madness and absurd over-idulgence that our western society demands to 'celebrate' Christmas.

Throw into this mix a fantasy story about someone born two millennia ago. Teach children the nonsense that Jesus came to save the world and was the 'Son of God'. Boost the collective mania by singing carols with a theme which is totally opposite to that of Spiritualism's simple message.

It's hard, of course, not to travel that same road we've been walking since the time we were tiny, a road we were conditioned to walk by parents, grandparents, schooling and the dictates of society.

Oh it doesn't matter, it's just a bit of fun for the kids, it doesn't do 'em any harm to believe in Santa - it's Christmas! You've all heard this stuff - you might even say the same yourself. And it is right that believing in Santa is a bit of fun for small kids. Left at that its fine. Trouble is all the Christmassy stuff gets mixed and muddled in a child's mind and years later those kids have become adults who are then totally muddled about Jesus and God and Christmas and Easter and....well you get my point.

Spiritualism? Oh yes. That's what I was getting to. Spiritualism? Isn't that all about getting message at the spooks church?

Does Spiritualism really have anything to say about Jesus and about Christmas?

CW
    CW

Female
    Number of posts : 734
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 3 Empty Re: What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh?

Post  CW Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:03 pm

The real problem for Spiritualists-(and yes for
    all Christians maybe) is that all the evidence points to his birth being
    sometime around the end of March and the beginning of April!!!

Add
    to this the hi-jacking of the whole thing by the capitalist machine and
    I think I can give a definitive answer for this particular
    Spiritualist!

It has no positive meaning at all! It is a time of overspending, over eating and over drinking.

PPLLnL

Peter
    Thank you Peter, these are my sentiments exactly. Don't for get about paid vacation! What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 3 738889 As mentioned in so many of your post, Spiritualism knows Christmas holiday celebrations represent the spirit of (Gratitude, Appreciation, Generosity, Brotherly Love, Compassion) these are just a few light qualities of a Spiritual Christmas.

On the other hand there are some dark Spiritual qualities being represented during Christmas holiday season as well. We all know what they are therefore, no need to mention them. Share the love and light all year long What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 3 35484

Love to all.
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh? - Page 3 Empty Re: What does Spiritualism know about Christmas, eh?

Post  SpiritVoices Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:44 pm

One question about Jesus. His birthday is supposed to have been on Xmas day.

Easter, his rising from the dead.  

But,has that ever been proved?
    Knight of Albion
    Knight of Albion

Male
    Number of posts : 568
    Registration date : 2013-12-18

Post  Knight of Albion Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:36 pm

Both dates, like so much else!, were 'borrowed' from the  pagan religions of the day.
    (Saturnalia / birthday of Mithra and Eastra spring equinox / death of Mithra.)

Much debate on the true date of Jesus's birthday. Logic would say as he was the Master of the Piscean Age that he should have been a Piscean. He certainly had all the attributes of the sign.
    Though the early Christians observed Jan. 6th as the day of Christ's birthday. 
    This is where we get the Twelve Days of Christmas from. It goes back to the days of persecution. They joined in joyous festivities same as the pagans (though for the different reason) and this ended on Jan. 6th with the day being marked as a day of quiet reverence and prayer.

I don't believe the history matters that much. (Jesus has been pretty much airbrushed out of Christmas anyway!)
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:22 pm

Knight of Albion wrote:Both dates, like so much else!, were 'borrowed' from the  pagan religions of the day.
    (Saturnalia / birthday of Mithra and Eastra spring equinox / death of Mithra.)

Much debate on the true date of Jesus's birthday. Logic would say as he was the Master of the Piscean Age that he should have been a Piscean. He certainly had all the attributes of the sign.
    Though the early Christians observed Jan. 6th as the day of Christ's birthday. 
    This is where we get the Twelve Days of Christmas from. It goes back to the days of persecution. They joined in joyous festivities same as the pagans (though for the different reason) and this ended on Jan. 6th with the day being marked as a day of quiet reverence and prayer.

I don't believe the history matters that much. (Jesus has been pretty much airbrushed out of Christmas anyway!)
    Heavens above,thought I recognised this topic!   Going back a few years when this started.   
    This is when discussions were discussions. :asmile:

Correct,Knight of Albion,it's not Xmas any more is it,without a small star 

on top of the Xmas tree?

Joan
    innerlight
    innerlight
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3817
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post  innerlight Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:42 pm

SpiritVoices wrote:One question about Jesus. His birthday is supposed to have been on Xmas day.

Easter, his rising from the dead.  

But,has that ever been proved?

Has it ever been proven that he rose from the dead? I think that just opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.. LOL.

Or did you mean was it proven he was born on Xmas day? I don't think there was ever an argument that he was ever born in December. It was always known as the celebration of his birth. As to why it was chosen to be celebrated that day? It was chosen to take away from Pagan holidays that occurred during that time. And to help convert Pagans to Christianity, by incorporating some of their traditions. Such as the Christmas Tree. Which, in this day and age, has succeeded. In fact Christmas overshadows many of the holidays that exist in December. So much so that they get into a hissy fit that they can not say Christmas and have to say Happy Holidays to allow the other holidays to have some time in the sun for a change.
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:23 pm