Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
mia
ameliorate
SpiritVoices
shayn
1antique
CW
10 posters

Being Kind to Those You Don't Like

CW
    CW

Female
    Number of posts : 734
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Being Kind  to Those You Don't Like  Empty Being Kind to Those You Don't Like

Post  CW Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:56 pm

Is it easy for your to be kind to people you dis-like?
    Can you be kind to people you hate?

Acts of kindness is only bestowed onto others because of who we are, not because of who they are. When we are unkind to those we dis-like we are actually being unkind to ourselves. If we are a kind person by nature then we must continue to be kind in all situations.

On the other hand if it is your nature to be an unkind person then "be that as well."

I believe a little bit of kindness goes a very long way.

What are your thoughts?
    1antique
    1antique
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3378
    Job/hobbies : Searching For The Truth
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Being Kind  to Those You Don't Like  Empty Re: Being Kind to Those You Don't Like

Post  1antique Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:48 pm

I have found that the best answer to your question is to not hate. Sure, there are people who irritate the crap out of me at times, and I may not particularly like them, but I am still friendly to them when I meet them. I have found that, for the most part, even though I am friendly to them, it still does not change their attitude one bit.
    CW
    CW

Female
    Number of posts : 734
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Being Kind  to Those You Don't Like  Empty Re: Being Kind to Those You Don't Like

Post  CW Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:37 pm

1antique, does it bother you if they are not kind in return?

I recently found it necessary to tell a man I didn't like him. Simply because he was "so called" making a joke about how I felt about a situation. As I asked him in a not so kind tone, not to ever speak on my behalf again. Then, it came out before I could hold it back.

"I don't like you!" since then I encountered him as I do each day. I am cordially kind and polite because this is my nature. When I say good morning, I mean it from my heart, biding him a good morning. If he choose not to acknowledge my good tidings that is fine with me. My good and happy tidings still remain just as the felling of not liking him remains.

Some personalities mix like oil and water. I agree with you 1antique hate is an emotion I avoid by all means necessary.

I come to know hate is more harmful to the hater than the one they hate.

Love to all...
    shayn
    shayn

Female
    Number of posts : 4035
    Job/hobbies : tarot reader
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post  shayn Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:02 pm

CW wrote:Is it easy for your to be kind to people you dis-like?

Acts of kindness is only bestowed onto others because of who we are, not because of who they are. When we are unkind to those we dis-like we are actually being unkind to ourselves. If we are a kind person by nature then we must continue to be kind in all situations.

On the other hand if it is your nature to be an unkind person then "be that as well."

What are your thoughts?

hi i just think you are right.

i think it is ok to hate, there is no point in ignoring this part of our personality. but i also believe that even if you hate someone, you should be kind towards this person if you get into some kind of contact, i believe the best thing is to avoid contact with people you don't like or even hate, but if for some reason you need to be around them, then i would be kind. being kind doesn't mean you need to be friendly or go out of your way for this person.
    i don't think it is possible to love everyone and accept everyone, i know people here will claim differently, yet in real life never found the person who loves everyone.

s
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:32 pm

A rather serious subject but a subject I feel should be talked about.

The human nature is that we all meet folks through our lives that we 'get on' with or we don't.
    Or arguments happen during a friendship which cannot be resolved.
    Some folks we can apoligise to and some we cannot because of the circumstances of whatever happened.

I always try and apoligise if I am in the wrong but if the apoligy is not accepted then I move on.

There are always reasons why some folks take an instant dislike to us or we to them.
    How ever friendly some may be to us,there is always that feeling of like or dislike or mistrust.
    I feel this could be an inner feeling of Empathy towards that person. A feeling that is saying inside us or intuition that says 'do not trust this person'.
    I find this feeling shows up more on the internet than in actually meeting those in life.

Joanie

ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female
    Number of posts : 3603
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

Post  ameliorate Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:30 pm

To not show people you dislike some kindness doesn't automatically indicate that you are unkind...just neutral. If they say hallo to you and you hold back, then yes that is unkind.

I have a disturbed neighbour who has been carrying out unprovoked anti-social acts on me for over 8 years now. Nothing stops her - not talking to her or reporting her (the latter just inflammes her further). I once tried a loving act of kindness with her - sending her a sincere card about those that most need to be loved are those that are the least lovable. Her reaction? She just laughed in my face and thought I was a pushover/a door mat.

Kindness needs to be measured/tempered. It can so easily be abused.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:40 pm

I'm with you on that,Amy.... :asmile:

Joanie
    mia
    mia

Female
    Number of posts : 1741
    Job/hobbies : Carer Support Worker
    Registration date : 2009-07-27

Post  mia Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:17 pm

I cannot be unkind to anyone ..... I could a few years ago ..... not now though.

If someone is unkind towards me, I cannot retaliate, because I believe there is a reason for their unkindness, maybe they are feeling unwell, hurting inside, tired.

Many reasons.

I may tell them they are being unkind, that they are upsetting me, depends on what it is.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:55 am

I don't like disputes on forums. Where one doesn't know the other member all that well.
    I find that embarrassing and not called for,a coward's way out.
    Otherwise I always call for a reason and if I am to blame for something,will always apoligise.

Joanie x
    mia
    mia

Female

Post  mia Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:04 am

I wonder WHY we don't like some people.
    Some say it's cos we see something in them, that we don't like in us.
    Or cos they say something that we don't want to hear.
    Also, why do we say we don't lilke someone, when 9/10 times, we don't know them?
    Like on tv, lots say 'I can't stand that bloke/woman' Why?
    When they don't even know them!
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:17 am

Sometimes there is a very good reason not to like someone as I am sure you'd agree if you were on the receiving end of my disturbed neighbour's antics. On-going (and unprovoked) trashing of my front garden, breaking into and vandalising my back garden, destroying my lovely white roses, stamping on plants, dead bird outside my front porch....I could go on! Eventually I had to get a reinforced high (and expensive) back garden fence installed. She is upsetting others too (not on the same scale). My mistake was that I stood up to her.

Re. disliking someone on TV. As a child, and growing up, I had always disliked Jimmy Saville but could never understand why.......
    Being Kind  to Those You Don't Like  3425641390
    mia
    mia

Female

Post  mia Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:39 am

Yes .... me too! Re Jimmy Saville.
    Is it the behaviour we don't like as opposed to the person though?
    The ones we 'don't like' I believe haven't done or even understand the inner work we have done.
    Re your neighbour ....
    My son and his family have a similar neighbour.
    We found she has been moved many times because of her behaviour.
    Her child has been expelled from schools twice, she is 13.
    I am sure the mother (single parent) has a grudge, doesn't like herself or her circumstances.
    I once had neighbours who fought, swore all the time, never any peace.
    The 3 kids too and the dogs.
    It was awful ...... I wanted to move, but couldn't find anywhere.
    Then I had the brainwave of sending them love and light, cleansing their home of negativity etc
    After about 5 days, all was quiet!! It did start up again, so, I just done more cleansing.
    It eventually became peaceful. .... then I found my house I wanted and moved .... I am still here :)
    As for Jimmy Saville ..... I believe we are all here for a reason, nothing is a mistake ...... where his path fits in is beyond me though.
    However I have a personal experience which I have understood the reasons for happening.
    I read a post/inspirational story on facebook a few months ago, which lifted my heart, it is exactly how I think.
    There is a tribe in Africa, where, if one does something wrong, they are taken out and surrounded by the others.
    For two days, they are told all the good things about themselves, thanked and praised for every good thing they have done or said.
    This is my thoughts on how unkind/bad people should be treated.
    It's a long way off, but hopefully one day xx
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:13 pm

Thanks for this post Mia. Well, as described here (in an earlier post) love and kindness had an adverse effect on her. Surprisingly enough, I don't hate her. I realise the way she is must be the result of some damaging impact in her life's experiences (assuming she does not have a mental disorder). I know she takes drugs. She has 5 kids, single parent and resents not having her independence. That is her (chosen) predicament.

Maybe I should try the love and light exercise you mention. I currently don't live at my flat (although she still trashes the front garden), since I am a resident carer for my mum who lives nearby. She has now targeted my mum's house - the same thing...trashing, trespassing her back garden and vandalism. I have caught her doing an anti-social act here...it defies belief - the woman is obsessed! I have reported her this (and so many other times). She tows the line for a while then starts up again. If I don't catch her in the act they tell me I need proof! I have no enemies just this lunatic. She is getting quite a reputation now locally.

Whilst I feel sorry for her, I also fear subsequent future actions that her boys will carry out when they grow up a bit more (she has already got them to do the trashing). There is no point in installing a camera, to catch her on film and take her to court because her mum has given me a death threat! Much as I dislike the situation, I will tolerate it if it means I can stay alive.

I believe in the innate goodness of humans. The example you give of tribal love is an obvious healing. I used to be a hippy and we thought love could save the world! (Seems a tad niaive now that I know things are more complex than that).

Last edited by ameliorate on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:31 pm

Do you feel sometimes,Amy it is a sense of 'knowing' about someone?
    Not to mean that we know them personally but an instinct that says to us....'be careful'.
    A sense of knowing that something is within that person that is picked up very quickly.
    Sometimes a sense of danger,sometimes a sense of 'not trusting' them.
    A sense of shallowness.
    And most of all.....'what do they want from me'?

Joanie
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:33 pm

Yes Joanie, I am highly intuitive so your post makes sense. I am sure this is often true, i.e. that some people can intuit what someone is really like - see through the facade.
    millergrls
    millergrls

Female
    Number of posts : 1385
    Job/hobbies : Dispatcher
    Registration date : 2012-11-02

Post  millergrls Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:39 pm

CW wrote:Is it easy for your to be kind to people you dis-like?

What are your thoughts?
    I always try to be kind. I don't really hate anyone. But I will be honest to say that there are a small few that drive me nuts. Even a couple of phychic vampires though they do not know it. I always shield myself and am always kind. They are nice people overall and I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings just because their habits can get to you after awhile. I wouldn't want to be responsible for hurting someone intentionally.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:39 pm

...and most of all....a sense of danger. I had that feeling from someone a good while ago.
    Like someone was saying to me....'don't mess with this person'.
    Joanie
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:02 pm

Joanie wrote:...and most of all....a sense of danger. I had that feeling from someone a good while ago.
    Like someone was saying to me....'don't mess with this person'.
    Joanie
    Yes...before I knew it was the work of this disturbed neighbour, I had the experience of looking out on to my lawn and seeing my smashed up garden chair there. I didn't know who it could have been but it seemed excessively violent and it gave me an ominous sense.

Months later I discovered it was her (the disturbed neighbour) but the mistake had already been done by that time, i.e. I stood up to her (something she wasn't used to).

Intuition is invaluable and gives those who have it an added advantage. (Unfortunately, in this incidence, I didn't have all the pieces that would show me who it was).
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:34 pm

When you sense these feelings,do you get a rather disturbed and sometimes frightening sort of ripple through the mind.
    Can't describe it perfectly but a feeling of fear for no reason?
    I feel as if I want to run from it.
    Or the person who gives me this feeling.

ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:36 pm

Slightly back on topic - to promote kindness - I am very pleased to share something I am proactive in, i.e. random acts of kindness. Some of you may be familiar with this but for those who are not, here is the page that gives you the ideas. Click on "home" if you need an intro to this.

http://www.randomactsofkindness.org/kindness-ideas

Being Kind  to Those You Don't Like  449294
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:53 am

Joanie wrote:When you sense these feelings,do you get a rather disturbed and sometimes frightening sort of ripple through the mind.
    Occasionally. For me it involves why are they doing this? What do I have to do to make it stop? Will it ever stop? I guess my situation may be somewhat different from your own experience Joanie - I have a lot of despair and despondency with my current predicament with this disturbed neighbour.

Do you explore what you fear rather than run from it? Suppression is never healthy and it tends to come up again in an unpredictable way or niggle there at the back of your mind. Best to bite the bullet I find....see what can be done (if anything) then come to terms with the situation as best you can. Ultimately seeing it as their problem and refusing to let it unsettle you is a good intention (if one that wavers in successful application personally occasionally). What's that expression - don't let the barstards grind you down!!? Reclaim your power.
    Being Kind  to Those You Don't Like  331509

Psychologists know that oppression takes our permission - we don't have to "buy" into the situation. It takes awareness. I certainly don't have a victim's mentality - I hope you don't either?
    mia
    mia

Female

Post  mia Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Thanks for this post Mia. Well, as described here
    (in an earlier post) love and kindness had an adverse effect on her.
    Surprisingly enough, I don't hate her. I realise the way she is must be
    the result of some damaging impact in her life's experiences (assuming
    she does not have a mental disorder). I know she takes drugs. She has 5
    kids, single parent and resents not having her independence. That is
    her (chosen) predicament.

Maybe I should try the love and light
    exercise you mention. I currently don't live at my flat (although she
    still trashes the front garden), since I am a resident carer for my mum
    who lives nearby. She has now targeted my mum's house - the same thing...trashing, trespassing her back garden and vandalism. I have caught her
    doing an anti-social act here...it defies belief - the woman is
    obsessed! I have reported her this (and so many other times). She tows
    the line for a while then starts up again. If I don't catch her in the
    act they tell me I need proof! I have no enemies just this lunatic.
    She is getting quite a reputation now locally.

Whilst I feel
    sorry for her, I also fear subsequent future actions that her boys will
    carry out when they grow up a bit more (she has already got them to do
    the trashing). There is no point in installing a camera, to catch her on
    film and take her to court because her mum has given me a death threat!
    Much as I dislike the situation, I will tolerate it if it means I can
    stay alive.

I believe in the innate goodness of humans. The
    example you give of tribal love is an obvious healing. I used to be a
    hippy and we thought love could save the world! (Seems a tad niaive now
    that I know things are more complex than that).

Blinkin Heck amelorate! That must be horrible!
    I have no answer to this. Except to try what I did and ask for help from angels.
    She is one very mixed up, hurt, obsessed, angry lady.
    And to follow you to your mums home too!
    And death threats!
    You need help from somewhere. As does she.
    Have you tried talking to her guides? And talking to angels?
    I am same age as you ..... and I am still a hippie ..... and still believe love can save the world :)
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:08 pm

Thanks Mia. Your post caused me to reconsider joining the neighbours from hell forum (for help). I had previously been reluctant to join since revealing details of the situation might cause me to be known (assuming she reads such a website). Have decided that this is probably an unwarranted fear and bite the bullet/try to cover my tracks as best I can when detailing my predicament.

Sorry for causing this thread to go off topic.

(Tried to rebalance this by giving the excellent website for random acts of kindness).
    mia
    mia

Female

Post  mia Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:25 pm

Amy, may I call you that? Cos I have trouble spelling your username lol
    Do you know how to protect yourself and others?
    If you do, do so regularly.
    If you don't, I can tell you how.
    Good idea re the 'help forum'
    Let us know how you get on.
    As for posting off topic .... methinks the topic was brought up, just for you to post your experience in Being Kind  to Those You Don't Like  21581
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:22 pm

ameliorate wrote:
    Joanie wrote:When you sense these feelings,do you get a rather disturbed and sometimes frightening sort of ripple through the mind.
    Occasionally. For me it involves why are they doing this? What do I have to do to make it stop? Will it ever stop? I guess my situation may be somewhat different from your own experience Joanie - I have a lot of despair and despondency with my current predicament with this disturbed neighbour.

Do you explore what you fear rather than run from it? Suppression is never healthy and it tends to come up again in an unpredictable way or niggle there at the back of your mind. Best to bite the bullet I find....see what can be done (if anything) then come to terms with the situation as best you can. Ultimately seeing it as their problem and refusing to let it unsettle you is a good intention (if one that wavers in successful application personally occasionally). What's that expression - don't let the barstards grind you down!!? Reclaim your power.
    Being Kind  to Those You Don't Like  331509

Psychologists know that oppression takes our permission - we don't have to "buy" into the situation. It takes awareness. I certainly don't have a victim's mentality - I hope you don't either?

Thanks for that,Amy. I needed advice like that.
    Will explain one day.

Joanie xx

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:33 pm