Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
somnium
mac
feather
ameliorate
Violet
9 posters

Can you dream about things you have never experienced?

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Can you dream about things you have never experienced? Empty Can you dream about things you have never experienced?

Post  Violet Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:50 pm

I had a bit of a debate on this a few days ago the other person reckons not, I think you can.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    ameliorate
    ameliorate

Female
    Number of posts : 3603
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

Can you dream about things you have never experienced? Empty Re: Can you dream about things you have never experienced?

Post  ameliorate Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:46 am

I would say yes, e.g. flying. Flying in dreams is common (like Peter Pan!) yet
    who has done this in real life? You really feel like you know what is it like -
    at least I do....the sensation of being high up, of swooping, of wind.
    feather
    feather

Female
    Number of posts : 1166
    Registration date : 2010-07-07

Can you dream about things you have never experienced? Empty Re: Can you dream about things you have never experienced?

Post  feather Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:30 am

yes I believe you can. As ameliorate says many people dream of personally flying and it is so real. We dream of places that we have never visited too.
    mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  mac Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:57 am

Violet wrote:I had a bit of a debate on this a few days ago the other person reckons not, I think you can.

Considering how little is understood about dreams (apart from their necessity is anything actually known?) I don't see how anyone can successfully argue that you can't.

Admittedly it's a little like saying that you can't miss what you never been had. By everyday usage we mean 'missing' to be an emotion we associate with having once had but then lost. We can long for what we never had but strictly we can't miss it...

Using that argument, we may not be able to dream about something in exactly the same way we dream of an experience (involving memory of the event) but we may dream what our mind constructs instead. Not necessarily a remembered, actual experience.

Largely it's semantics but as no-one knows what dreams actually are there's no way of knowing how much, or how little, of them is built on memory and experience or how much may be created from the odds and ends of data that enters our psyches at any time and then get combined as a dream by our unfathomable brain - or mind. Can you dream about things you have never experienced? 451437
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:56 pm

Using that argument, we may not be able to dream about something in exactly the same way we dream of an experience (involving memory of the event) but we may dream what our mind constructs instead. Not necessarily a remembered, actual experience.

Hi Mac, yes you're right there as a few years ago I was dreaming very frequently that I was driving a car, which I can't do in my waking life, but in my dreams I was in the driving seat my hands on the wheel and the car was moving but I couldn't tell you what pedals etc to push and I wasn't aware of doing anything like that in the dream.

Ameliorate raises a good point about flying in dreams I think many have dreamed of flying.

Post  Guest Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:46 am

If your soul has had many lives....then dreaming of events that you have not encountered should be expected.

Since your soul communicates with the physical via dreams and signs.......its perfectly logical if one believes in past lives.

Some even think your present life is a mirror image to past lives with modern themes instead of olden times themes.
    somnium
    somnium

Number of posts : 315
    Registration date : 2013-04-05

Post  somnium Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:13 am

Yes, you absolutely can do things in dreams that you normally can not. I have seen myself speaking other languages in other completely different lives.
    In my path that is the main reason for dreaming. They say that the position of awareness of most people is fixated in the daily world, but when one sleeps that position moves far away from its normal fixation. They say that this shift moves one deep inside the realm of the unknown.
    Now the real question is why can't one do the things we do in dreaming while awake?
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:39 am

I've dreaming of swimming under sea. No life belt,no scuba tank, just me floating around the coral way down below.

I love the sea.

Joan
    somnium
    somnium

Post  somnium Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:36 pm

Last night I was on a space ship, part of a crew. It was pretty cool.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:04 am

Mr.Whitmore wrote:If your soul has had many lives....then dreaming of events that you have not encountered should be expected.

Since your soul communicates with the physical via dreams and signs.......its perfectly logical if one believes in past lives.

Some even think your present life is a mirror image to past lives with modern themes instead of olden times themes.

I'm one of those awkward people who doesn't believe in past lives.

mac

Male

Post  mac Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:22 am

Mr.Whitmore wrote:If your soul has had many lives....then dreaming of events that you have not encountered should be expected.

There is much belief and thought evident in these theories rather than evidence of what's suggested.

In my limited experience I haven't heard a spiritually-scientific explanation of our physical dreaming process, why we humans apparently need to do it and what the actual dream mechanism is. Even sleep is a puzzle - sure there are many scientific observations of what's going on in our bodies during sleep but other than that what do we know?

Of course it's possible that something spiritual is occurring but until we know that, it's simply conjecture.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:39 am

somnium wrote:Yes, you absolutely can do things in dreams that you normally can not. I have seen myself speaking other languages in other completely different lives.
    In my path that is the main reason for dreaming. They say that the position of awareness of most people is fixated in the daily world, but when one sleeps that position moves far away from its normal fixation. They say that this shift moves one deep inside the realm of the unknown.
    Now the real question is why can't one do the things we do in dreaming while awake?

You've seen yourself but did you hear yourself; which language(s) did you speak; were you fluent and if so how do you know you were; what did you say and to whom?

The reason you can't do the things in 'real-life' that apparently you can do in dreams is that ours is a world of constraint - we can do only what we know or have learned - whereas the dream world may be nothing more than a sophisticated construct. If it isn't, how do you know it isn't?

We consider our waking lives as 'real' in the sense that we also register unconnected, impersonal, objective events with outcomes recorded and documented by others - it's not a wholly personal, subjective world. Dreams, however, produce no tangible, objective outcomes. They are personal, subjective events which others don't register, record or document.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:42 am

Violet wrote:

But believing, or disbelieving, doesn't change what actually occurs - no more than those who declare they don't (or do) believe in an afterlife can change what actually happens. Can you dream about things you have never experienced? 451437
    somnium
    somnium

Post  somnium Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:04 pm

mac wrote:
    Violet wrote:

But believing, or disbelieving, doesn't change what actually occurs - no more than those who declare they don't (or do) believe in an afterlife can change what actually happens. Can you dream about things you have never experienced? 451437

No, some people believe you have a choice.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:28 pm

It's surprising where our subconscious can take us. On the other side,dreams can become fantasy.

Fantasy can become real in dreams.
    Joanie
    mac

Male

Post  mac Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:32 pm

somnium wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Violet wrote:

People believe all manner of things but it doesn't change the reality of a situation..... You can believe the moon is made of green cheese but that doesn't make the moon become green cheese, no matter how strongly one may hold that belief.

Of course one may say, and may carry it out, that one will never return to this world - once and once only but that can't change the situation for others who don't adopt that stance. The possibility of previous lives isn't affected by belief - it can either happen or it doesn't happen.

The only choice is either to undertake more than one life or not to - if multiple lives are possible at all.
    gilly
    gilly

Male
    Number of posts : 851
    Job/hobbies : Writing Sci/Fi and Fantasy
    Registration date : 2011-11-11

Post  gilly Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi mac
    for once you make sense!
    I agree with your last post totally!
    PPLLnL
    Peter
    somnium
    somnium

Post  somnium Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:03 am

mac wrote:
    somnium wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Violet wrote:

People believe all manner of things but it doesn't change the reality of a situation..... You can believe the moon is made of green cheese but that doesn't make the moon become green cheese, no matter how strongly one may hold that belief.

Of course one may say, and may carry it out, that one will never return to this world - once and once only but that can't change the situation for others who don't adopt that stance. The possibility of previous lives isn't affected by belief - it can either happen or it doesn't happen.

The only choice is either to undertake more than one life or not to - if multiple lives are possible at all.

So your belief holds no power, whereas for another it does.

And in my opinion Life can be anything.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:17 pm

somnium wrote:
    mac wrote:
    somnium wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Violet wrote:

Life is what you make it! We have one chance unless there is truly other lives we do live.

Joanie
    mac

Male

Post  mac Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:10 pm

somnium wrote:
    mac wrote:
    somnium wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Violet wrote:

I hold no belief. Your personal belief may empower you but can not impact me. Your opinion is noted but not agreed with.
    CW
    CW

Female
    Number of posts : 734
    Registration date : 2010-10-14

Post  CW Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:10 pm

I dream of people I've never seen and places I've never been. I do it all the time. I've even called out the name of people I don't know or have never known.

Dreams can be as vivid as your imagination. I dream in color while other say they only dream in black and white.

Now this was creepy; for me to acknowledge a previous dream in the dream I was currently having.

I dream every time I close my eyes, been doing it since a child. Most dreams I remember when I wake up.

I believe imagination, spirituality, and our awake experiences all three of these has the biggest influence on our dreams.
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:53 pm

Now this was creepy; for me to acknowledge a previous dream in the dream I was currently having.

Yeah i've had that too and dream inside a dream, have you ever done that, please don't let these things creep you out btw :hugz:

somnium
    somnium

Post  somnium Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:37 pm

CW wrote:

I believe imagination, spirituality, and our awake experiences all three of these has the biggest influence on our dreams.

I agree, but I would add in knowledge too. When I was first researching about dreams I came across a lot of knowledge about them, and every time I came across new ideas about what dreams could be I dreamt them in action. Like the idea that some people have premonitions in dreams, as soon I heard this I started to have them. I think the right kind of knowledge is a powerful tool.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:45 pm

somnium wrote:
    CW wrote:

I agree, but I would add in knowledge too. When I was first researching about dreams I came across a lot of knowledge about them, and every time I came across new ideas about what dreams could be I dreamt them in action. Like the idea that some people have premonitions in dreams, as soon I heard this I started to have them. I think the right kind of knowledge is a powerful tool.

What does the knowledge of them tell us about their origin and their purpose?
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:27 am

CW wrote:I dream of people I've never seen and places I've never been. I do it all the time. I've even called out the name of people I don't know or have never known.

Dreams can be as vivid as your imagination. I dream in color while other say they only dream in black and white.

I dream every time I close my eyes, been doing it since a child. Most dreams I remember when I wake up.

If dreams are only dreams why did I dream of seeing a man who passed in old age, as a young man again?
    I never knew this man in life. He was an old army mate of my husband's. I never knew what he looked like as a youth.
    But I saw him clearly in this dream,dressed back in uniform.
    Later I found an old photo of him among some of the stuff belonging to hubby,never seen this photo before.

Joanie

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 3:25 pm