Spiritual Inspiration

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+25
QuietCypher
millergrls
skylarker
Left Behind
Aura
gilly
Native spirit
Karin
smilies37
peaceandkarma
Ethereal
zerdini
PPrncpl7
sparkly
Lynn
AngelTony
equuslife
SpiritVoices
Viking
Tomblues
Katiecat
mac
skye
innerlight
Violet
29 posters

Christian Spiritualism

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24568
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Christian Spiritualism - Page 6 Empty Christian Spiritualism

Post  Violet Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:16 am

First topic message reminder :

I went to a Christian Spiritualist church once, I felt very uncomfortable, it didn't feel right somehow and far too 'religious' if that makes sense. Anyone else been to one and what were your feelings?

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Christian Spiritualism - Page 6 Empty Re: Christian Spiritualism

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:10 am

PPrncpl7 wrote:
    Violet wrote:I went to a Christian Spiritualist church once, I felt very uncomfortable, it didn't feel right somehow and far too 'religious' if that makes sense. Anyone else been to one and what were your feelings?
    Hello Violet
    I was 'hooked' in an SNU church, but was working away at the time, so spent the first 8 years of my development at a Christian Spiritualist Church!
    They were a wonderful bunch of people and the only thing with hindsight that i am uncomfortable with is their intense dislike of the SNU.
    Peter

Why the intense dislike,Peter?
    Surely in basics we are one and the same.
    Spiritualism.
    PPrncpl7

Male
    Number of posts : 418
    Job/hobbies : Retired teacher of Mathematics
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

Post  PPrncpl7 Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:43 pm

Why the intense dislike,Peter?
    Surely in basics we are one and the same.
    Spiritualism.[/quote]
    hello Joannie
    For some reason the officers of the church would have nothing to do with the SNU--I never dared to ask!!!
    Peter
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Couldn't you ask in a round-about-way?
    You know like bring the subject up gently...............
    Christian Spiritualism - Page 6 809779
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:46 pm

they preached love and light but behaved completely different. They all had egos trying to dominate everyone else, it was like being in a playground at school.

I've heard of a LOT of this in the churches.

smilies37
    Just joined

Female
    Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2011-12-18

Christian Spiritualism - Page 6 Empty Interesing Thing

Post  smilies37 Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:59 pm

Viking wrote:mac has said it all for me. Christianity is full of half truths, omissions, man-made contributions and down right lies.
    There were many saviour Gods before Jesus. There is little doubt that he was very special but not in the way Christians portray him.
    The central concept of Christianity is to do with what you believe ie that Jesus was THE son of God in a special way which doesn't include the rest of us and that he died on the cross for OUR sins. I don't accept that so I'm not a Christian. I set more store on how people behave, not on what they believe. Some of the kindest people I know are not Christians. If you're a spiritualist, you don't need Christianity.

I agree with you. When I was a teenager, I lodged in a house with a landlady who was a born again Christian, who told me that all my mis-fortunes were owed to the fact that I was baptized in a Spiritualist Church. She would often invite me to her Church service's & told me, that I could be baptized in one..... I never did it. I'm not sure that she thrust her beliefs down my throat all the time, but I know that her words seemed more harmful than good to the very vulnerable and impressionable teenager that I was. I mean when things ever went wrong for me, the 'Devils work' quote was banded about me a lot & sometimes I didn't know whether I was coming or going!

I admit I felt worthless & un-loved by God and many times wondered if my Landlady was right, and wonder if I should follow up her words & get baptised. I thought I may get protected by God, I wondered if my Landlady may have been right. However, I never did, and going to her church service on one occasion did not sit right with me. However, I sometimes heard a voice when I was young, that spoke my name to me when I was about to do something naughty or dangerous! Which would immediately stop me in my tracks & from what I was about to do! Lol - I just heard my name spoken quickly, un-recognizable as male or female that I can remember. I do remember my name said once and replying to what I thought was my Mother calling me - she was the only other person in the flat - and said she didn't say anything, I was about 4 years old at the time. I would love to know who was talking to me. Since I became an adult I heard the same thing just once in my 20's.

As the years of gone on in my life, I moved from this woman's house long ago. A little worse for wear in some respects, fearing near on everything at times. However, I have had numerous spiritual other worldly things, that I have experienced, and have on occasions been to a Spiritualist Church (wot my former landlady would make of it ....???). I have really enjoyed going, the energy is very positive, but my own spiritual experiences are in keeping with this, what I have learned makes great sense to me, it is not a brain washing exercise to get me to believe in something, you can't make somebody believe in something that they have already experienced for themselves. Just as you can't make someone see something with their eyes that they can not! but they can help you make sense of things you've experienced & don't understand.

From my own personal experience, the idea of religion can be cold, cruel and manipulative. For some, it has turned them into master manipulators, tyrants & others mass murderers, Yet for others, it can turn their lives around and help them transform into wonderful people, who do wonderful things for their fellow man, animal, and our planet. But I don't believe you need to belong to a religion to be this person, we all have it within us, we just have to find it. So I would not like to personally,entirely condemn religion, despite my own sometimes harmful experiences, even though I don't necessarily believe what they say to be true, and it took me quite a long time to come to that decision.

Last edited by smilies37 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:07 pm

What is the difference between the SNU churches and other spiritualist churches?

I have heard this mentioned so many times,surely we are the same?
    Karin
    Karin

Female
    Number of posts : 392
    Registration date : 2011-06-28

Post  Karin Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi Smilies!

But I don't believe you need to belong to a religion to be this person, we all have it within us, we just have to find it.

Yes! That's true!!! Christian Spiritualism - Page 6 371183 Christian Spiritualism - Page 6 371183 Christian Spiritualism - Page 6 371183

Mankind should look inside the hearts to find "heaven"...

Karin
    Karin
    Karin

Female
    Number of posts : 392
    Registration date : 2011-06-28

Post  Karin Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:30 pm

"Christian Spiritualism"...???

For me it is in itself a contradiction and therefore impossible.

Karin
    mac

Male
    Number of posts : 4147
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  mac Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:19 pm

Joanie wrote:What is the difference between the SNU churches and other spiritualist churches?

I have heard this mentioned so many times,surely we are the same?

The SNU provides certain support for member churches. Others go it alone.
    smilies37
    Just joined

Female

Post  smilies37 Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:26 pm

PPrncpl7 wrote:
    peaceandkarma wrote:I used to go to a SNU affiliate Spiritualist Church and was a member of the SNU. The reason I stopped going is because I got fed up with all the messages that never come true. I can understand why the last goverment passed legislation against mediums because some people hang on every word they say. The SNU is against fortune telling and wants to promote prove that life goes on after physical death. I'm no longer a member of the SNU but I agree with them. Mediums like to tell everyone what is going to happen which to my experience with my messages never comes true. I still consider myself a Spiritualist, just not the same sort of Spiritualist as them. Mediums at Spiritualist Churchs have for this reason stopped me going to Spiritualist Churches. I was also a member of the Church committee put left after a few months. The reason for this was because they preached love and light but behaved completely different. They all had egos trying to dominate everyone else, it was like being in a playground at school.
    Hello
    I sympathise with all you have said--BUT!!!!!
    Platform mediums in SNU churches are 'up against IT'!
    We all want 'predictions'!! and they are charged with giving 'evidence' that we do NOT 'DIE'!
    Sorry --but the medium is as GOOD as the congregation!
    The 'congregation' must supply the energy for the medium to work in!!
    IF NOT then ??????????????????????/
    Peter

Imagine that all mediums were 100% accurate regarding readings about ones future. What then would be the point of our own existence here if we know all that would happen? It's like being told the story of a movie or book, that there is not much of a point to reading or viewing come to that - the enjoyments gone when the ending is revealed. However, these types of readings are just as said "predictions" nothing set in stone nor necessarily accurtrate predictions either. I get a great deal of enjoyment from the messages of love & humour! From my friends & family that bow live on the other side. It is the messages of inspiration that are to me the most important thing. Mediums can be wrong about predictions and though they won't reveal anything significantly bad (or rather they shouldn't) recipients can be bitterly disappointed that things don't necessarily turn out the way they wanted them. It is my personal opinion, for me it is non productive to get a predictive reading, since they can be wrong, and you can be left wondering too much, when you should actually be living your life - not waiting for it to happen.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:27 pm

I see,Mac,thanks.

Thought it may be something like that.

Financial support,I suppose.

So the churches which are independant,can more or less do what they wish within reason.

Like putting on display,certain artifacts of religion?
    mac

Male

Post  mac Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:52 pm

smilies37 wrote:
    PPrncpl7 wrote:
    peaceandkarma wrote:I used to go to a SNU affiliate Spiritualist Church and was a member of the SNU. The reason I stopped going is because I got fed up with all the messages that never come true. I can understand why the last goverment passed legislation against mediums because some people hang on every word they say. The SNU is against fortune telling and wants to promote prove that life goes on after physical death. I'm no longer a member of the SNU but I agree with them. Mediums like to tell everyone what is going to happen which to my experience with my messages never comes true. I still consider myself a Spiritualist, just not the same sort of Spiritualist as them. Mediums at Spiritualist Churchs have for this reason stopped me going to Spiritualist Churches. I was also a member of the Church committee put left after a few months. The reason for this was because they preached love and light but behaved completely different. They all had egos trying to dominate everyone else, it was like being in a playground at school.
    Hello
    I sympathise with all you have said--BUT!!!!!
    Platform mediums in SNU churches are 'up against IT'!
    We all want 'predictions'!! and they are charged with giving 'evidence' that we do NOT 'DIE'!
    Sorry --but the medium is as GOOD as the congregation!
    The 'congregation' must supply the energy for the medium to work in!!
    IF NOT then ??????????????????????/
    Peter

Imagine that all mediums were 100% accurate regarding readings about ones future. What then would be the point of our own existence here if we know all that would happen? It's like being told the story of a movie or book, that there is not much of a point to reading or viewing come to that - the enjoyments gone when the ending is revealed. However, these types of readings are just as said "predictions" nothing set in stone nor necessarily accurtrate predictions either. I get a great deal of enjoyment from the messages of love & humour! From my friends & family that bow live on the other side. It is the messages of inspiration that are to me the most important thing. Mediums can be wrong about predictions and though they won't reveal anything significantly bad (or rather they shouldn't) recipients can be bitterly disappointed that things don't necessarily turn out the way they wanted them. It is my personal opinion, for me it is non productive to get a predictive reading, since they can be wrong, and you can be left wondering too much, when you should actually be living your life - not waiting for it to happen.

Folk have different expectations about what mediums do and what they are.

In Modern Spiritualism a 'medium' is primarily an evidential medium and won't/shouldn't make predictions - that's more the role of other practitioners such as psychics, sensitives and perhaps channellers...

How accurately and
    effectively they carry out that role is open for debate.
    mac

Male

Post  mac Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:58 pm

Joanie wrote:I see,Mac,thanks.

Thought it may be something like that.

Financial support,I suppose.

So the churches which are independant,can more or less do what they wish within reason.

Like putting on display,certain artifacts of religion?

Independent churches will be governed by whatever constitution they have, the committee and officers being charged with carrying out whatever their duties are.

The display of symbols is then a local issue to be decided by them and church members.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:09 pm

Talking about church premises,like halls,churches and other type of accomodation for meetings.

I have since been told that the spiritualist hall where I attend is rented to them from the Church of England.

The C of E actual church is a few feet away from spiritualist hall.

Makes one think,doesn't it?
    mac

Male

Post  mac Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:11 pm

Joanie wrote:Talking about church premises,like halls,churches and other type of accomodation for meetings.

I have since been told that the spiritualist hall where I attend is rented to them from the Church of England.

The C of E actual church is a few feet away from spiritualist hall.

Makes one think,doesn't it?

Money makes the world go around.....such an arrangement isn't necessarily sentiment.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:02 pm

Oh yes,even in religion,the hand is held out.
    skye

Female
    Number of posts : 1256
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

Post  skye Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:44 pm

smilies37 wrote:But I don't believe you need to belong to a religion to be this person, we all have it within us, we just have to find it.

Silver Birch once quoted 'There is no religion higher than service'.

It's one quote I wouldn't disagree with.

By the way, :welcome: :si:
    smilies37
    Just joined

Female

Post  smilies37 Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:14 am

skye wrote:
    smilies37 wrote:But I don't believe you need to belong to a religion to be this person, we all have it within us, we just have to find it.

Silver Birch once quoted 'There is no religion higher than service'.

It's one quote I wouldn't disagree with.

By the way, :welcome: :si:

Thank you very much - and yes, we are all up against something sometime, but even when you are on an uphill struggle, if you get the opportunity to help someone's out, it doesn't matter how bad your situation may be, it gives you the most wonderful feeling & in that not only are we are all in it together, but in some kind of sense that by helping someonelse out, you are in a sense helping yourself out in that you are giving yourself some sense of hope.

Wow! I am being very profound - and at this hour!
    Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:17 am

[quote="smilies37"] I agree with you. When I was a teenager, I lodged in a house with a landlady who was a born again Christian, who told me that all my mis-fortunes were owed to the fact that I was baptized in a Spiritualist Church. but I know that her words seemed more harmful than good to the very vulnerable and impressionable teenager that I was. I mean when things ever went wrong for me, the 'Devils work' quote was banded about me a lot & sometimes I didn't know whether I was coming or going!

This could have had an adverse effect on you, you must be quite strong to have got past this teenage years are never easy as it is without this kind of thing.

I admit I felt worthless & un-loved by God and many times wondered if my Landlady was right, and wonder if I should follow up her words & get baptised. I thought I may get protected by God, I wondered if my Landlady may have been right. However, I never did, and going to her church service on one occasion did not sit right with me. However, I sometimes heard a voice when I was young, that spoke my name to me when I was about to do something naughty or dangerous! Which would immediately stop me in my tracks & from what I was about to do! Lol - I just heard my name spoken quickly, un-recognizable as male or female that I can remember. I had this in my younger years too, i'm convinced now that it was some kind of guide/helper

Violet
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:27 am

Christian Spiritualism - Page 6 229495 twice i've tried to quote and reply to your whole post but it's only showing half of what I posted

smilies37
    Just joined

Female

Post  smilies37 Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:52 am

[quote="Violet"]
    smilies37 wrote: I agree with you. When I was a teenager, I lodged in a house with a landlady who was a born again Christian, who told me that all my mis-fortunes were owed to the fact that I was baptized in a Spiritualist Church. but I know that her words seemed more harmful than good to the very vulnerable and impressionable teenager that I was. I mean when things ever went wrong for me, the 'Devils work' quote was banded about me a lot & sometimes I didn't know whether I was coming or going!

This could have had an adverse effect on you, you must be quite strong to have got past this teenage years are never easy as it is without this kind of thing.

I admit I felt worthless & un-loved by God and many times wondered if my Landlady was right, and wonder if I should follow up her words & get baptised. I thought I may get protected by God, I wondered if my Landlady may have been right. However, I never did, and going to her church service on one occasion did not sit right with me. However, I sometimes heard a voice when I was young, that spoke my name to me when I was about to do something naughty or dangerous! Which would immediately stop me in my tracks & from what I was about to do! Lol - I just heard my name spoken quickly, un-recognizable as male or female that I can remember. I had this in my younger years too, i'm convinced now that it was some kind of guide/helper

Wow! Did u? It used to stop me right in my tracks & I would stand there feeling shocked & embarrassed that is been caught out! Just as if I was being confronted by a grown up after being caught in the act!! The last time I heard mmy name said was when I was 23, and oddly enough the day before is been discussing this with a friend. I was going through a bad patch in my life at the time, and it happened at night, just before I was settling down to go to sleep. I remember opening my eyes wide open & staying rigidly still as my eyes scanned the room without moving my head - in shock! Around that time, but (I don't remember exactly) when, I was upset one night & it felt like somebody sat on the side of my bed beside me, that snapped me out & finally around this time - I was about to go out & putting my coat on, when it felt as though my face was being brushed by someone's hand! It's pretty amazing & I don't know about you Violet, but you wish everyone was aware and was able to experience the essence of life in this way. I am very blessed. Tell me more about what happened to you.
    SpiritVoices
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:10 pm

I am beginning to wonder if the spiritualist churches who hold their own (meaning run independantly) are better off.

Nowt wrong with the church I go to. Must ask next time if they are involved with SNU.....I don't think they are.
    Native spirit
    Native spirit

Female
    Number of posts : 887
    Registration date : 2011-02-04

Post  Native spirit Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:17 am

Christian Spiritualism - Page 6 348985 I went to a SNU spiritulist church what a horrible atmosphere people thinking they are better than anyone else, i cant be doing with ppl like that.they are no better than anyone else, i have also been to a christian spiritulist church and i say spiritulism loosley, they were pray to god jesus heals jesus gives us messages etc, not something i believe in, i believe in The Great Spirit. have done all mu life and im not going to change my beliefs for anyone, according to the christian spiritulist church, you pray to god in his house, that is a load of rubbish you can pray to whom you want you dont neeed a building to pray.

i spent most of my time in a Healing sanctuary what a difference, people are a lot nicer,accept you for what you are not what they think you should or should not do,a couple that i know came up to me and told me i was doing the devils work and that i should go to their church to use my gifts to work for jesus, so i asked them if they think im doing the devils work why do they want me to join them,they couldnt answer says it all as far as im concerned

Namaste
    gilly
    gilly

Male
    Number of posts : 851
    Job/hobbies : Writing Sci/Fi and Fantasy
    Registration date : 2011-11-11

Post  gilly Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:48 pm

Native spirit wrote:Christian Spiritualism - Page 6 348985 I went to a SNU spiritulist church what a horrible atmosphere people thinking they are better than anyone else, i cant be doing with ppl like that.they are no better than anyone else, i have also been to a christian spiritulist church and i say spiritulism loosley, they were pray to god jesus heals jesus gives us messages etc, not something i believe in, i believe in The Great Spirit. have done all mu life and im not going to change my beliefs for anyone, according to the christian spiritulist church, you pray to god in his house, that is a load of rubbish you can pray to whom you want you dont neeed a building to pray.

i spent most of my time in a Healing sanctuary what a difference, people are a lot nicer,accept you for what you are not what they think you should or should not do,a couple that i know came up to me and told me i was doing the devils work and that i should go to their church to use my gifts to work for jesus, so i asked them if they think im doing the devils work why do they want me to join them,they couldnt answer says it all as far as im concerned

Namaste

Does it make any difference what words we use--GOD, DIVINE SPIRIT, JESUS?????????????

PPLLnL

Peter
    mac

Male

Post  mac Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:06 pm

Native spirit wrote:Christian Spiritualism - Page 6 348985 I went to a SNU spiritulist church what a horrible atmosphere people thinking they are better than anyone else, i cant be doing with ppl like that.they are no better than anyone else, i have also been to a christian spiritulist church and i say spiritulism loosley, they were pray to god jesus heals jesus gives us messages etc, not something i believe in, i believe in The Great Spirit. have done all mu life and im not going to change my beliefs for anyone, according to the christian spiritulist church, you pray to god in his house, that is a load of rubbish you can pray to whom you want you dont neeed a building to pray.

Namaste

I'm sorry to hear of your negative experience in what you describe as a SNU Spiritualist church. I'm somewhat confused to hear your account of their worship and references to the Nazarene, Jesus. It sounds more like a Christian Spiritualist church.

Please remember, though, that even in regular Spiritualist churches or centres, they are only as good - or as bad - as those who run and/or frequent them. It's a sad fact of life that a Spiritualist, just as with any other individual, is primarily a human. Being a church member and/or understanding about survival doesn't automatically make folk paragons of virtue.

I'm unable to speak about Christian Spiritualist churches but if you do visit any regular Spiritualist churches in the future I hope it's a rewarding experience.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:36 pm